• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Back to the Future -The Hill Valley Chronicles Miniseries

I was considering not using the proper opening title sequence till episode 2 to give episode 1 the feel of an 'as yet uncommssioned' pilot episode. thats why the end titles are a little more basic in episode 1 too.  I've also tried adding a black screen 'Executive producer - Frank Marshall' at the end of each episode fading to black before the end titles kick in now to make it look more tv-ish. I'll give the titles fade to black then opening scene a go, I think I did it that way at first try  but there was something about the soundmix and the way claudia wells head pops out from the wall that made me prefer the basic chop to the opening. I will experiment with that a bit more though.

So I've now watched the first two episodes of your non-linear series (version A?). Lots of potential here. I really liked the first episode, and was genuinely eager to see what direction things went in due to the insertion of the dream sequence. My only other comment would be that the dream sequence can probably be slightly tighter, but that's a minor niggle (also the transition from opening credits to opening scene, which has already been mentioned).

In regard to the second episode, pretty good. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the first, but that's partly because I don't think the second movie is quite as strong - and man... that age makeup! (although in some ways that really adds to the dated TV show feel.)

The end works in that Biff stealing the Time Machine is a good cliffhanger, but the transition to the credits is quite jarring. Not entirely sure what needs to be done here. Perhaps you need some sort of musical cue that consistently occurs at the end of each episode?

I'm intrigued to see how you pull things off narratively, especially now that the timeline has been shifted around. I'll keep watching and let you know what I think! Really enjoying it so far :)

BTW, I'd be interested to see a list of changes if you have one (eg. what scenes have been shifted/cut).

I love this whole idea. It would be even better if it was cropped to 4:3 like an '80s show would be, but I know that's a ton more work for minimal payoff.

Funny you should say that about the end of episode cut Ive been experimenting with that today Ill post a sample in a bit,

Ive tweaked the opening to include the episode title

and heres how I'm looking to change the smash style cut of the endings

Its worked fine so far for episode 2-4

Transition from Delorean to end titles seems abrupt because you don't let it breathe, try slower pace:
Delorean goes off > fade to 2 seconds black > 3 or 4 seconds of "produced by..." > 2 seconds black > rest of the end titles

Plissken1138 said:
Transition from Delorean to end titles seems abrupt because you don't let it breathe, try slower pace:
Delorean goes off > fade to 2 seconds black > 3 or 4 seconds of "produced by..." > 2 seconds black > rest of the end titles
thanks bud migh need to look for better (LONGER) end cues
yep it does feel a little rushed thats partly because I'm using musical bits and pieces from the end titles as end cues, finding it tricky to fade them out completely quick enough while still keeping the audio levels smooth for the transition to end credits

Sinbad said:
Plissken1138 said:
thanks bud migh need to look for better (LONGER) end cues
yep it does feel a little rushed thats partly because I'm using musical bits and pieces from the end titles as end cues, finding it tricky to fade them out completely quick enough while still keeping the audio levels smooth for the transition to end credits

Here's what I had in mind. I did a quick fix there, even shorter than my original suggestion. I've seen shows fade video completely, than have one snappy remark from the character before going to producer credit and then to closing credits with music... You can use that trick also. If you leave enough time before producer credit you can wiggle the last shot of the episode easier.

pass: fanedit.org

got ya!  fade the pic quick and let the music fade before showing the credit! yes that definitely seems less rushed. I'm liking it thanks Snake!

theryaney said:
Here's my cover:
thvc.png

What do you think?

Still downloading. :)

This image was created by Michael Matsuomoto, for those interested.
https://www.facebook.com/mkmatsumot...0.1435879940./838204502940938/?type=3&theater

(It does make a good looking cover  ;)  , but don't forget to credit the original artist, please.)

So, I am now partway through the fourth episode and I've had some thoughts.

I feel that the series starts out as an interesting take on the BTTF franchise, but I can't help but view this from the perspective of someone who has never before seen the films (even though I have).

The pilot is great. It seamlessly cuts out 90% of the first film for use later on in the series and replaces it with a dream sequence which links very well with the end of the original film. This immediately creates a sense of intrigue within the viewer, despite the fact he may have already seen the films. The viewer asks these questions:

• What happened to Marty?
  • Did he travel back in time?
  • Was it all a dream?
  • Why has everything changed?
  • Hey, wait a minute… isn’t Doc dead?

These are good questions, which should keep the viewer hooked.  However, it's never a good idea to give them a taste of the carrot, and then take it away completely. It needs to be dangled in front of their faces - unfortunately, following these very relevant questions we are instead fed another two episodes in which none of the answers to these are even remotely hinted at and a completely different storyline is explored.

Even as someone who has seen the films and knows the story, I couldn't help but have these questions hanging in the back of my mind as I watched, and as I started the fourth episode I felt myself becoming frustrated. This is the episode in which things should be explained, but instead things are more confusing because we've jumped from something seemingly unrelated to 2 different Martys on two different days whose only relevance is linked way back to the first episode.
The problem you're left with is that because you want to slot the 1950's events next to each other, you are majorly screwing with the narrative.

However, I think that there's a lot of potential here and I'd like to offer a few suggestions that I believe would make a massive difference in regards to "dangling the carrot" for the audience during episode two and three:

1.  In episodes two and three you could reference the "dream sequence"/events pertaining to 1955 that the audience has not yet seen. I reckon this could be done quite easily being that there are so many parallels in the films. For example, when Griff comes in to the cafe, his dialogue mirrors that of this dialogue when Biff speaks to Marty's dad in 1955. You could always have a sort of glitch/flashback. This shows us that Marty didn't dream, and something did happen in another time. It also assures us that these events are still relevant.
Likewise, you could do a similar thing in episode three when Marty is regaining consciousness in his mother's room. There is immediate déjà vu as this scene mirrors when he is in his young mother's bedroom in 1955.

2. You can also insert some of the events of the first episode into the "previously on back to the future" into episodes 2 and 3 as well. Like Doc getting shot, Marty in the Time Machine and him waking up to it being a dream. This tells the audience that those events are still relevant and are worth remembering.
You do already insert these events into episode 4's "previously", but I would suggest making sure that they are the last thing that the audience see, and maybe even consider having the "previously" clips shown after the episode intro so that you can lead them straight into the scene where Marty arrives at the farm (I'm thinking doc gets shot, hazmat Marty in time machine, time machine disappears, fade to black… fade back in to hazmat Marty arriving at farm with time/date.) 
I think it would probably be better to focus on an event from the original trip to 1955 and THEN show the relevance of the last two episodes and how they connect.

Side note: I suggest making the time/date text (eg. Nov 5th 1955) slightly more obvious, maybe centralise it. At the moment it’s hiding in the corner of the screen and is quite easy to miss.

addiesin said:
(It does make a good looking cover  ;)  , but don't forget to credit the original artist, please.)

Yes, I wasn't trying to make it seem to be my own art, anyway I'm not anywhere as talented.

Here is a Doc one, art made by the same artist:

doc.png

Juniquex said:
So, I am now partway through the fourth episode and I've had some thoughts.

I feel that the series starts out as an interesting take on the BTTF franchise, but I can't help but view this from the perspective of someone who has never before seen the films (even though I have).

The pilot is great. It seamlessly cuts out 90% of the first film for use later on in the series and replaces it with a dream sequence which links very well with the end of the original film. This immediately creates a sense of intrigue within the viewer, despite the fact he may have already seen the films. The viewer asks these questions:

• What happened to Marty?
  • Did he travel back in time?
  • Was it all a dream?
  • Why has everything changed?
  • Hey, wait a minute… isn’t Doc dead?

These are good questions, which should keep the viewer hooked.  However, it's never a good idea to give them a taste of the carrot, and then take it away completely. It needs to be dangled in front of their faces - unfortunately, following these very relevant questions we are instead fed another two episodes in which none of the answers to these are even remotely hinted at and a completely different storyline is explored.

Even as someone who has seen the films and knows the story, I couldn't help but have these questions hanging in the back of my mind as I watched, and as I started the fourth episode I felt myself becoming frustrated. This is the episode in which things should be explained, but instead things are more confusing because we've jumped from something seemingly unrelated to 2 different Martys on two different days whose only relevance is linked way back to the first episode.
The problem you're left with is that because you want to slot the 1950's events next to each other, you are majorly screwing with the narrative.

However, I think that there's a lot of potential here and I'd like to offer a few suggestions that I believe would make a massive difference in regards to "dangling the carrot" for the audience during episode two and three:

1.  In episodes two and three you could reference the "dream sequence"/events pertaining to 1955 that the audience has not yet seen. I reckon this could be done quite easily being that there are so many parallels in the films. For example, when Griff comes in to the cafe, his dialogue mirrors that of this dialogue when Biff speaks to Marty's dad in 1955. You could always have a sort of glitch/flashback. This shows us that Marty didn't dream, and something did happen in another time. It also assures us that these events are still relevant.
Likewise, you could do a similar thing in episode four when Marty is regaining consciousness in his mother's room. There is immediate déjà vu as this scene mirrors when he is in his young mother's bedroom in 1955.

2. You can also insert some of the events of the first episode into the "previously on back to the future" into episodes 2 and 3 as well. Like Doc getting shot, Marty in the Time Machine and him waking up to it being a dream. This tells the audience that those events are still relevant and are worth remembering.
You do already insert these events into episode 4's "previously", but I would suggest making sure that they are the last thing that the audience see, and maybe even consider having the "previously" clips shown after the episode intro so that you can lead them straight into the scene where Marty arrives at the farm (I'm thinking doc gets shot, hazmat Marty in time machine, time machine disappears, fade to black… fade back in to hazmat Marty arriving at farm with time/date.) 
I think it would probably be better to focus on an event from the original trip to 1955 and THEN show the relevance of the last two episodes and how they connect.

Side note: I suggest making the time/date text (eg. Nov 5th 1955) slightly more obvious, maybe centralise it. At the moment it’s hiding in the corner of the screen and is quite easy to miss.

I agree with all your points, I think the deja vu thing is a great idea and it may be worth meddling with the previouslys in episodes 2-4 to remind the viewer of the 1955 events. I had it in mind there was no question in Marty's mind that everything that took place in 55 first time around occurred as he happily jumps in the delorean with jennifer at the end of episode 1 with a now miraculosly alive doc again.  The dream serquence as I interpret it is Marty just dreaming about the events before he wakes that morning and once everything has changed he realises he's not imagined anything.  Obviously as a first time viewer we are still in the dark so toying with that more in episodes 2 and 3 is a good idea. off the top of my head  I could add some echoed audio in the cafe 80's of the parallel events in lou's diner or maybe a care3fully inserted skateboard shot from the first film during the hoverboard chase.  I will definitely tinker with episodes 2 and 3 to pull it together more.  I guess I justified its current state by assuming no who hasn't seen the movies will end up watching this...  I did try and link the pilot to episode 2 for instance i Inserted biff seeing the delorean from the start of bttf2 at the end of the first episode so when he mentions not seeing a flying delorean for 30 years that makes sense. anyway GREAT FEEDBACK!!! lots to try !!

Really enjoying this collaborative effort guys, I promise you will all get thanks in the edit on the last episode!

deja vu 1

deja vu 2

I think this is on the right track. The skateboard one is very jarring, but the cafe one works quite well. 

It would be cool to try and do something with the "Marty wakes up in his mum's room" bit, but maybe something more similar to the dream sequence, having the past scene slowly merge into the future scene. If that makes sense?

I like the non flashback version. Also, I think doing the 1955 stuff in B&W could add some style to the edit. That or very muted colors and a slight film grain to simulate older TV.

DigModiFicaTion said:
I like the non flashback version. Also, I think doing the 1955 stuff in B&W could add some style to the edit. That or very muted colors and a slight film grain to simulate older TV.

Muted colours and film grain could work well.

Ive tried a few in the 2015 scenes ill post em up in a bit and a couple  in the alternate 85 episode 3 stuff. it can be jarring but im trying to tighten them up with the following shot, marty looking confused or biffs de javu.. I do agree though i think they are needed to keep the 55 jump from the first film in the viewers mind over episodes 2 and 3, ive tweaked the previouslys too as suggested. I think im gonna commit to the flashbacks and just try and integrate them as smooth as possible. i like the black and white idea for the whole 55 scenes but im guessing its a 50/50 thing where some will like it some won't.  So prob just gonna stick to B/W for the deja vu memory stuff.  Im using sony vegas by the way so if anyone can suggest good plugins to use for the dream deja vu effects to give it that extra push I would really appreciate the input guysm

Try key framed pans that bring scenes in at different angles and slowly turn. I think you did that already.

I know you're trying to link ideas with the flashbacks, but that would be like flashing Prequel scenes during Luke and Vader's duels or Obi Wan and Vader's duel. We'll see it eventually. I think the idea of a reverse deja Vu is narratively more intriguing. Kind of like a Christopher Nolan effect. The aha moment will come later. Just a thought.

DigModiFicaTion said:
Try key framed pans that bring scenes in at different angles and slowly turn. I think you did that already.

I know you're trying to link ideas with the flashbacks, but that would be like flashing Prequel scenes during Luke and Vader's duels or Obi Wan and Vader's duel. We'll see it eventually. I think the idea of a reverse deja Vu is narratively more intriguing. Kind of like a Christopher Nolan effect. The aha moment will come later. Just a thought.

Yeah I've used them before for intros and stuff (key framed pans), dont think there is any in this edit though, with regards to the flashback my orginial thought was 'well the audience will be caught up by the end of episode 4, as you say the 'Nolan' method. I do like the other approach too though its quite a challenge to integrate stufff like that without it jarring think it needs to be seen as a whole rather than me just putting 10 second clips up. Im kind dropping em in on top of the edit so Im gonna see how it goes. Be easy to revert back in a day or two (if I wakeup and realise I've just created a big mess) can  try and make the previouslys do the legwork then instead.

Back
Top Bottom