• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Back to the Future -The Hill Valley Chronicles Miniseries

Episode 2 added to opening post

Sinbad said:
Full Episode 02 Compressed
*Since the pilot was 'picked up' :p Claudia Wells (Jennifer Parker) has been unable to continue with the show due to other commitments and is replaced by Elisabeth Shue for the rest of the season ::p

Great way to talk about the change in actress  between BTTF 1 and 2 for the purpose of the future episodes.

I found the quick echo "I thought I told you never to come in here," and the B&W flashback for gramps to work well. Great call-forwards, future call-back :). For someone who hasn't seen the movies it would likely make them go back and watch it at least one more time.

crlorent said:
Sinbad said:
*Since the pilot was 'picked up' :p Claudia Wells (Jennifer Parker) has been unable to continue with the show due to other commitments and is replaced by Elisabeth Shue for the rest of the season ::p

Great way to talk about the change in actress  between BTTF 1 and 2 for the purpose of the future episodes.

Yeah just a bit fun to keep up the TV premise, a shame in reality though as it was down to CW's mom having cancer so I think it says a lot about her as a person putting her mom before more fame and fortune.

crlorent said:
Sinbad said:
*Since the pilot was 'picked up' :p Claudia Wells (Jennifer Parker) has been unable to continue with the show due to other commitments and is replaced by Elisabeth Shue for the rest of the season  :p

I found the quick echo "I thought I told you never to come in here," and the B&W flashback for gramps to work well. Great call-forwards, future call-back :). For someone who hasn't seen the movies it would likely make them go back and watch it at least one more time.
I do use an echo of the old lady saying 'save the Clocktower' too as Marty walks into the future Hill Valley, I did have a couple more things in there orginally but it felt like I was overdoing it there's a little more of that and what I call a 'Future-Past Echo' in Episode 3 before the edit starts to fully kick into gear when we go back to 1955 in episode 4.

@"Plissken1138" 

Thanks for the great review!
Really cool you binged the whole thing in one sitting, I obviously did something right :) 
It's great to hear this new narrative/perspective I went for and the TV format has made it feel fresh.  I hope you thought the temporal junction episode worked well as thats the key episode to my mind.  

I would definitely agree that theres room for improvement in the audio department it was a constant duel with Alan Silvestri putting those previouslys  together.  I've noticed a few spots myself that I thought could do with tweaking to balance things out. If any spring instantly to mind be great if you could PM me and I will give 'em a tweak.   :)

Oh and thanks you were a big help in the ITW thread with the ending exec producer credit! Must also thank scrib again (cant seem to tag scrib) for his input on this project he really helped me push it up a notch.  

Thanks for watching and reviewing, great to get feedback good or bad as it'll improve them future edits!

I think I'm gonna go the weekly route this time. I watched episode 1 last night, which is as good as when I last watched it. I imagine there wasn't much changed on that particular episode as it was already pretty solid.

yeah just a  bit on the dream sequence I think,colour grade is different, theres some pan and rotate on and the transition back to Martys clock uses a zoom blur effect. I did a version of the dream thing where we see the years roll back from 1985-1955 counting down using the digital font from the delorean but I thought it better left a little ambigous. Dont think the next time was there in your early version either can't remember...

Oh i changed the title from 'Historys gonna change' too

Watched part 2. Great job, loving it so far! Going through the monthly route, but I think I'll post a review now and update it as the series goes on, you know? :)

whatever works for you ryaney, no rush for reviews.. :)

Sinbad said:
whatever works for you ryaney, no rush for reviews.. :)

3y_T-_RLM2Bm6iFxhTQEUVuTlO4=.gif

Just finished episode 2. The ending transition is much improved since I last saw it, as is the "next time" sequence. Great work! :)

My sister walked in part way through as well. She's a big BTTF fan and now wants to watch the rest of the "series" with me.

Thanks Mr Scrib!

Yeah I left the first episode credits the same as before as I wanted it to look like an 'as yet uncommissioned' pilot, that way there is a kind of excuse/reasoning for the Claudia Wells/Elisabeth Shue switch in ep2. I was also tempted to leave the opening title sequence out of the first episode and maybe just do like an 'in this episode' preview like some shows used to do.  I also put the character names in the post titles credits in episode 1 which i dont do in the rest of 'em. I decided against it because I thought it might look a little half arsed without a title sequence and put people off. Im actually  tempted to do an alternate episode 1 with that approach now...

I watched Episode 1 last night and I decided to watch one episode a night over the next 2 weeks (as best I can). I will try to review them as I go along and leave an IFDB review at the end. I'll do my best not to spoil any surprises, as I am going into this not really knowing how much the editor has changed aside from the overall concept.

Episode 01 Things Ain't What They Used To Be

I am quite a fan of the BTTF series. I watched the trilogy a ton growing up and saw a good number of episodes for the short-lived animated series. Recently I've been rewatching "Rick and Morty" to death and thought it'd be fun to watch a BTTF fanedit. Sinbad stepped up with the wonderful idea to turn the trilogy into a 10-episode mini-series.

I loved the way this episode was structured. When I saw the fanedit's episode count and runtime I feared the editor didn't change too much and simply split everything into 30-minute chunks. Right off the bat I see that my assumption was wrong. By the end of this I was extremely curious to see what sort of narrative Sinbad has put together with this series.

I only have a couple negatives. While I did like the flow of the opening title sequence, I feel that we shouldn't have seen any of the other versions of the characters, i.e. don't show future Biff/Griff and alternate 1985 Lorraine and Old West Doc & Marty. The opening credits should have just shown the characters how they're seen in Episode 1. Then in the next episode you can show how the characters would look in that episode.

My other note is that the "Next Time" teaser at the end was too long. Keep it short and simple.

Other than that, this was a great start. I loved loved loved how you did all the titles and fonts. Major thumbs up on that. Looking forward to the rest!

A/V 10
Visual Editing 10
Audio Editing 9
Narrative 10
Enjoyment 9

Thanks @"Neglify" 

I said in my last post I was really tempted to have a very basic white on black 'Starring Michael J. Fox' titles for the first episode so it looked like a proper pilot and then introduce the proper title sequence in episode 2.  I remember Hannibal being dressed as Godzilla in The A team in the credits and part of the fun was wondering what episode that would come in and why so think thats what i was going for in the title sequence.  With the next times i tried to to show enough to build excitement for the next episode.  Its all academic I guess as I doubt anyone who hasnt seen the trilogy will see the edit but I took that approach and with the previouslys i did them as though the viewer had missed the previous episode. As i said above im very tempted to do an alternate ep1 where i make it look more like a basic pilot.

That all makes perfect sense. There are a million different ways to do opening titles, as least you did it with style and make it look professional.

Had a mess around with episode 1 this morning, done an alternate unfussy pilot style opening, removed the title sequence at the start and the next time from the end. So I guess I have yet another alternate episode lol. Think I prefer this opening personally as it gives the title sequence in the second episode a bit more impact in a 'look we got picked up!' kind of way and makes the Claudia Wells/Elisabeth Shue switch more logical.  Bringing up 'The A-Team' again I remember a different actor played Templeton Peck in the pilot and was replaced by Dirk Benedict in the second episode in much the same way (probably happens a lot). I am over thinking this way too much haha

That was wonderful! Absolutely a superior opening in my eyes, primarily because the added scene of Marty riding to school is a better way to start things off.

Review for Episode 02 Future Proofing -

A solid Ep 2. Nothing too out of the ordinary here as the editor has kept this chunk pretty much intact. Excellent point to end on. I felt it would have been better to see more little flashback snippets. We hear a couple echoes and then we see one echo, but we should have seen all of them. A minor point, but I think it would have been a bit more impacting to see not just hear.

AV 10, Editing 9, Narrative 10, Enjoy 9

Looking forward to Ep 3!

great feedback again @"Neglify" 
Neglify said:
That was wonderful! Absolutely a superior opening in my eyes, primarily because the added scene of Marty riding to school is a better way to start things off.

Yes credits wise thats how I was inclined to do the opening but I thought it might look aestethically a bit lazy and not encourage people to watch further... I liked the small scale feel of the opening being in the high school though as it felt more TV-ish

Neglify said:

A solid Ep 2. Nothing too out of the ordinary here as the editor has kept this chunk pretty much intact. Excellent point to end on. I felt it would have been better to see more little flashback snippets. We hear a couple echoes and then we see one echo, but we should have seen all of them. A minor point, but I think it would have been a bit more impacting to see not just hear.

Yep I would be the first to admit I haven't changed or edited indivual scenes greatly
 apart from when we hit 1955!
as the BTTF trilogy is for me my personal Star Wars OT  :) . With my first three edits so far I've just took some of my favourite films which had an potential for an alternate perspective rather than trimming lines etc.  I did try a visual version of those scenes I've used audio for and elsewhere (biff slamming into the manure truck) before he says 'buttheads' and the 'hello mcfly anybody home' scene. I think i need like a uniform sequence style to make those work but it kinda depends on Marty's expression afterwards too to make it seem like he's thinking of what he experienced in his first adventure.  After your feedback I want to go back and have another attempt at it, I love the nitpicky slightly negative feedback (the best kind) as thats what really pushs an edit from good to great, its a shame sometimes things get submitted before they get chance for much feedback, personally I love it and I'm not gonna stop tweaking this even if it means doing entire episodes from scratch! If its good enough for Lucas its good enough for me ! :D

@"Neglify" 
Neglify said:
 I felt it would have been better to see more little flashback snippets. We hear a couple echoes and then we see one echo, but we should have seen all of them. A minor point, but I think it would have been a bit more impacting to see not just hear.

This is one I ended up taking out from earlier in this thread as it didn't feel as smooth as the biff 'familiar' one, I'm gonna see if I can improve it and maybe add another for biff at the end of the hover chase.

Sinbad said:
This is one I ended up taking out from earlier in this thread as it didn't feel as smooth as the biff 'familiar' one, I'm gonna see if I can improve it and maybe add another for biff at the end of the hover chase.

I actually liked that one. Just needed to be slicker (easier said than done, I know).

Back
Top Bottom