• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Back to the Future -The Hill Valley Chronicles Miniseries

Yeah i got a little carried away making 'em :D  they do get shorter again I promise...

Episode 06 Happy Temporal Junction Of The Entire Space Time Continuum Day!

I gotta be honest, this episode was a bit of a misfire. There are two simple reasons this one didn't quite work for me.

1) Too long. 40 minutes? You should have cut that sucker down mercilessly. There are so many slow moving parts in the beginning, with BTTF2 Marty tracking Biff, sneaking into Strickland's office, etc. Also, the entirety of Johnny B. Goode could have easily been cut without damage to the plot. Yeah, it's a cool part of the movies but it slowed things down tremendously.

2) Dueling Finales. I know you're a fan of Dueling Banjos, but the dual story lines didn't work in this case. When I finished Ep 3 I thought that you'd go this route with the story...

Ep 4 & 5 is BTTF1. Ep 5 ends with Doc sending Marty back in time and dancing happily. Then BAM, Marty runs up to him "Doc you gotta send me back again!" "Great Scott!" Boom. Ep 6 would show BTTF2 Doc & Marty entering 1955 to stop Biff and the ep would end with the repeated scene of Marty coming up to Doc at the end of BTTF2.

I'm not saying you should overhaul your fanedit and re-edit it this way. I'm just saying how I thought things would play out.

BUT, your editing was good, there were no technical issues, the episode ended on a great note. I'm still very much curious to see how the last handful of episodes play out. 7/10 for this one, since the tech side was groovy but the narrative was gooey.

Thanks for the feedback Neglify, aah you cant win 'em all, to be honest I would never have intended to do it if I was just gonna show the events of that night using the first movie and then the events of the second visit in the next episode. 

The idea for the edit in the first place came from playing the two out together and seeing if it made sense, it does to me but I'm too involved to have a clue whether it does or doesn't anymore.
I did a take a liberty or two, the almanac chase takes place before Marty arrives at the clocktower (in the proper timeline) in  the first movie which is why the weathers a little calmer when he's chasing Biff with doc.  I used it a bit of artistic license there as we dont know quite how far Biff lives away from the clocktower so its in the realms of possibility that could be possibly be the case. I thought it would be much more interesting to have both finales taking place at the same time. 
As for cutting Johnny Be Goode yeah that was NEVER gonna happen :) .  I'll be honest I don't really see the issue with this episode being nearly 40 mins as many shows episode lengths vary anything upto 15 minutes in length nowadays and as this episode had like a semi finale feel it ties up most of the loose ends so far I didn't and still don't think thats really a problem.

I do appreciate the feedback though Neg even if this one was a quality drop for you personally..

Neglify said:
Episode 06 Happy Temporal Junction Of The Entire Space Time Continuum Day!

Ep 4 & 5 is BTTF1. Ep 5 ends with Doc sending Mar ty back in time and dancing happily. Then BAM, Marty runs up to him "Doc you gotta send me back again!" "Great Scott!" Boom. Ep 6 would show BTTF2 Doc & Marty entering 1955 to stop Biff and the ep would end with the repeated scene of Marty coming up to Doc at the end of BTTF2.

I'm not saying you should overhaul your fanedit and re-edit it this way. I'm just saying how I thought things would play out.

BUT, your editing was good, there were no technical issues, the episode ended on a great note. I'm still very much curious to see how the last handful of episodes play out. 7/10 for this one, since the tech side was groovy but the narrative was gooey.

The spoiler section on the above got me thinking last night... I am still pretty happy with episode 6 and feedback elsewhere suggests that the dual approach was something at least some wanted to see and have liked. your alternate take on it also got my doc brown juices flowing   and thinking of a version where elements of the second visit appear in the first run through unexplained initially (the sandbagged goons for instance and knocking marty 2 out as marty 1 runs out the door)  I won't be changing any of my original 10 episodes but i do quite fancy experimenting with what I would call a 'skewed 'tangent' alternate take on these focal episodes.  A 'Docs Blackboard' version where its possible to choose a different (game-like) path to the final episodes.

Its definitely something I fancy having a play around with anyway just for my own amusement not to replace anything, theres not many movies you can really inteferev with like this. the alternate possibilities is fairly unique to BTTF as much as I can think of at least .  Anyway thanks again Neglify plenty of food for thought  :)

Episode 3 added to opening post

Sinbad said:
<snip>
I won't be changing any of my original 10 episodes but i do quite fancy experimenting with what I would call a 'skewed 'tangent' alternate take on these focal episodes.  A 'Docs Blackboard' version where its possible to choose a different (game-like) path to the final episodes.

Its definitely something I fancy having a play around with anyway just for my own amusement not to replace anything, theres not many movies you can really intefere with like this. the alternate possibilities is fairly unique to BTTF as much as I can think of at least .  Anyway thanks again Neglify plenty of food for thought  :)

That sounds awesome man. I really love how these series of films can lead to so many different variants and, as you put it, 'skewed tangent alternate takes'. I know you've seen "Run Marty Run", but have you also seen blueyoda's original BTTF short? Those two little shorts go a long way showing us how simple editing can manipulate storylines.

I also realized that you never saw an older BTTF fanedit, "The Chronological Edition" since the editor has been long gone and that one never got much love. I was the one who reviewed it and ultimately approved it for the site, so I've already seen the two 1955 segments edited together, which gave me a bit of an unfair mindset going into Episode 6. Your convergence of 1955 timelines was pretty damn good and I'm glad that you structured the episode as you did.

But, one thing I forgot to mention in my review was that when BTTF2 Marty is on the radio with Doc and tells him that George is about to punch out Biff, it kind of robs that beautiful moment for George of its impact.

Anyway... onto my review of Ep 7...

Episode 07 Snail Mail

This was another episode that didn't quite do it for me. It's almost the opposite of Ep 6, since in #6 the beginning is quite slow but the end if jam-packed. With #7 there's so much to process in the beginning and then the second half is a slow little mosey on down the street in comparison. I don't have any real good suggestion on how to fix the issue, but the placement of the BTTF1 finale didn't feel right, the flow was way off.

But hey, I gotta be honest here, the trilogy itself declines in quality as it moves on. It's almost natural that the second half of the "mini-series" doesn't hold up to the first half. 7/10 for this ep.

Thanks again Neg,

yep Im in total agreement with all your thoughts on episode 7 myself,  I'd kinda run out of footage at this point and needed to tie up plot points.  I had two issues I need to show How Doc was still alive and also needed marty 2 to go back to  Doc 1 to at the clocktower, Ending the previous episode as i did I had to open with that really, but I was aware how long it might seem screentime wise Doc 1 had been dancing and woohooing at the fire trails. So slotting 85 in before that seemed a good excuse as we are in a different era I can jump back and kinda get away with the fact docs been there quite a while now. 

Yep as you can probably work out
Things play out linear as before for the last few episodes, I really like BTTF3 but I would have liked to have mixed things up still just couldnt think of an alternate way to approach number 3
I do have a version where Marty dreams about being in the good the bad and the ugly where he knocks himself out. Which is why he asks to be called Clint Eastwood but I wasnt sure it worked I will post a clip in a bit

I havent seen the chronological edit but I did watch the bootstrap edition after I had more or less finished the edit. Didnt want to watch it beforehand incase it influenced my edit.

I think putting the whole thing in a tv format has definitely made the edit different to the ones already out there though and after a few years older edits do become harder to get hold of so it felt worthwhile. Plus theres not many bttf edits on ifdb from what I can see so I didnt feel like i was regurgitating what had come before too much. Ultimately though i really enjoyed making it so even if everyone hated it im thick skinned enough to not let it bother me haha :D

Ive already started a different route path from end of episode 5 that will be two episodes from an alternate view point. which probably result in a revised alternate episode 7 too lol. It seems a fun thing to play around with anyway before I completely put this project to bed. These altenat episodes probably sound daft and pointless to some but Doc with his blackboard totally justifys it for me lol. I dont think it will take too long to do as a lot of the groundwork is already laid.  

I really appreciate the HONEST feedback Neg :) I dont want to hear lots of people just say oh its great and not say why, Id much sooner hear the shortcomings and be aware of that pitfall next time. theres lots of niggles I have with the edit but without a delorean and Mr Fox and Lloyd and a camera crew they are kind of unfixable things :) .   

I really enjoyed making it though and I definitely think its a fun and fresh way to rewatch the trilogy. So i hope those who watch it enjoy it still..

oh and yes i agree about the george biff punch I should have left that at 'OfCourse!!!' and cut to George. One for the alternate I think.. :)

Clint Eastwood thing, I would have cut the lines about the indians and the bear had I liked it more.

Working on the skewed tangent alternate episodes, I'm taking a sort of groundhog day approach but similar to what Neglify suggested. Episode 6A the events of bttf1 but with small bits of bttf2 interspersed so it has the extra complications of BTTF2 but more from a BTTF1 perspective with the clocktower finale. Episode 6B will fill in the whys and wherefores of episode 6A and show the almanac finale.  I need to find a smooth way to reset the evening at the start of 6B for the Marty 2 persepctive, I will change the titles of the episode to help with that too...

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]This is coming together pretty quickly[/font]

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]The option B branch off alternate experience will consist of 3 episodes that are alternate to the original episode 6,7[/font]

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]All three are very close to 30 mins too...[/font]
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]Episode 6 Alternate[/font]
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]Not entirely confident of this claim as yet but I think you can watch B or A first as together they interchangebly tell the full story and begin at the same time of day[/font]
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]Episode 6A Temporal Junction Points of View Part One (BTTF1 view point)[/font]
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]Episode 6B Temporal Junction Points of View Part Two (BTTF2 view point)[/font]

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]Episode 7 Rio Bravado (removes the BTTF1 and BTTF2 parts from the original Episode 7 and starts the same as BTTF3)[/font]

Edited first post with information about the new episodes and how to view them correctly

I finished watching this edit and really enjoyed it. I liked the 1955 episodes a lot more than Neglify did and felt they were the clear highlight of this edit.  Great work, Sinbad.

This is officially my 2nd favourite BTTF edit.

Adabisi said:
I finished watching this edit and really enjoyed it. I liked the 1955 episodes a lot more than Neglify did and felt they were the clear highlight of this edit.  Great work, Sinbad.

This is officially my 2nd favourite BTTF edit.

Yeah, I loved the 1955 bits. Thought they were the beez neez. I've seen a similar thing done in Quackatomics edit, but it's just so much fun to see.

What's your first favourite?

That was a cool Clint video!

Episode 08 Hang 'Em At High Noon

I quite liked this episode! Things go back to basics here, with a solid 30-minute outing focused on one plot-line. This actually made me appreciate BTTF 3 more as I almost totally forgot how that movies mirrors BTTF 1. The Doc and Clara love story is so wonderfully written. 1 point taken away though, because the final cut at the end of the episode was a bit abrupt. 8/10

Thanks for the great review @"Adabisi" as for the sepia scratchy edition, ahh darn sorry i forgot to send the links  :D  (not a joke)

I did all the old west stuff in sepia with the scratches but I thought it was a bit much to watch it like that for 3 episodes so while I do have it I didn't mention it in the release notes.. I also thought it felt criminal to not see those old west landscapes in glorious technicolour.

Neglify said:
1 point taken away though, because the final cut at the end of the episode was a bit abrupt. 8/10

Thanks again for the episode by episode review Neg, the slower pace of Btt3 did make it hard to find suitable ends for the episodes amd this one was the one I was least happy with out the 10 eps. You will see whys its a bit abrupt at the start of episode 9

Episode 09 The Good, The Bad And The Lovely

An excellent episode, nothing to nitpick about (except the Previously and Next Time segments which I've talked about way too much already). A perfect way to end the episode and head into the finale. 9/10

Episode 10 Back To The Future?

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. An action-packed finale that ends this mini-series with style. The only criticism I have is that I didn't really like the end recap/extended credits. It was finely done, just an issue of preference. 9/10

------------------

Excellent work overall on this one, Sinbad! I look forward to seeing what other kick-ass projects you come up. Now I'm off to write the IFDB review.

Cheers @"Neglify" again for the episodic reviews and the ifdb one! :)

The feedback has been invaluable, If (more when)I do an episodic edit again I will definitely give more thought to pace throughout the episode and how its building/flowing from point a-b and also cutting the length of them previouslys right down.  I went in with the mindset of recapping the previous episode as though the viewer had missed that one, so I tended to bullet point the important plot points. the episode 5 one was 1:40 secs at one point which is ridiculous  :D.

Spoilers for those who've not watched it
Based on your feedback as you know I've done an alternate episode 06A and 06B where we see MartyA and MartyB's adventures more individually but still with some interaction from both movies which raises a question mark or two that gets answered in the other Marty's episode.  Ive used the starlighter guy on the horn at the start of the enchantment under the sea dance as a reset motif (like sonny and cher in Groundhog) rather than suggesting any extra time travel takes place.  Marty A going back to 85 and the delivery of the letter is incoprated into that so episode 7 starts back at Doc Browns house in BTTF3 now.

I have also added those two scenes from episode 7 to the proper episode 6 so it runs around 45 mins now but we get one extended episode (the temporal junction point which seems fitting) and all others are 30mins approx. The original episode 6 cliffhanger is now marty2 running up to doc1 at the end of bttf2 instead of the jump to 1885

When it gets to Episode 6 on the weekly posts I will post the extnded original and the new groundhog/style dual episodes. 

I'm probably cheating a bit changing the odd thing here and there but I've not changed the running order of anything in the original 10 episodes just added the start of 7 to 6 to create one extended episode rather than two longer ones. It now makes episode 7  more evenly paced and 30 mins long too.

I guess if theres one series of movies its ok to go back and fix the odd thing its BTTF! Though Doc would not be happy ::)   

Oh and the extended credit sequence at the end, yes it breaks from the Tv stylings but I wanted the speaker scene in there somewhere as its so prominent im the titles so I thought a recap of all the characters we had seen over the 10 episodes would a be nice schmaltzy way to do it. I enjoyed making it anyway..

Thanks again Neg for the really useful feedback and the time invested watching and reviewing it!

Back
Top Bottom