• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Arrow

Reminder, the Arrow spin-off THE FLASH premieres tonight! :)

Watched FLASH, a solid, if some what by-the-numbers, pilot. Lots of little easter eggs. Loved the nod to CRISIS at the end. Now that the origin/introductions is out of the way, I expect/hope the stories will improve significantly.

Tomorrow... ARROW!!!!

As far as pilots go, I really enjoyed this one. Things kept moving and it did its job setting things up pretty well. I also really like that when the episode felt over and they flashed the title that there was a little tag at the end with the Crisis reference.

I believe I read that episode 8 is when Arrow and Flash will crossover.

...only a couple hours to the season premiere....

WOW!

Great season opener! Great balance of humour and tragedy.
Poor Ollie, he can never stay happy for long.

Brandon Routh stole every scene he was in! Once again, I wish he had been given a second kick at the can as Superman.

And that cliffhanger ending!!!!! SHOCKER! I did not expect that so soon!

The next episode can not come soon enough. :thumb:

There was a quick moment when Routh was in the store with Felicity and he put his arms on his wait like in a Superman pose. I wonder if that was natural or it was a brief nod to his former role.

I hate the premiere. Sara was my favorite character.

One less series to watch, I guess.

Mark Moore said:
I hate the premiere. Sara was my favorite character.

One less series to watch, I guess.

How come you didn't like it? I can understand being bummed about Sarah, but there was a lot of stuff to setup the season.

musiced921 said:
How come you didn't like it? I can understand being bummed about Sarah, but there was a lot of stuff to setup the season.

None of which matters.

Mark Moore said:
None of which matters.

I don't think I have ever stopped watching a show cold just because a favourite character was kiled off? I am always curious about the aftermath of such events. Besides, Laurel is destined to become the Black Canary, so Sara was always on a ticking clock.

But it should be noted Caity Lotz is contracted for 3 episodes so far, so she will reappear.

Plus, with the Flashback story lines she could return.

And then there is the whole Lazarus Pit.... ;-)

bionicbob said:
I don't think I have ever stopped watching a show cold just because a favourite character was kiled off?

I came close when Buffy killed off Tara. I hate Joss Whedon.

To understand where I'm coming from, here's an essay that I wrote for my writing blog.

bionicbob said:
Besides, Laurel is destined to become the Black Canary, so Sara was always on a ticking clock.

A does not mean B. They could have done whatever,

bionicbob said:
But it should be noted Caity Lotz is contracted for 3 episodes so far, so she will reappear.

Plus, with the Flashback story lines she could return.

But Sara will still be dead.

bionicbob said:
And then there is the whole Lazarus Pit.... ;-)

Isn't that the League of Shadows' thing, not the League of Assassins'?

Besides, nope. TPTB said no supernatural elements this season.

Unless there's some kind of fake-out where Sara's death was staged, she's dead, and I'm done.

Mark Moore said:
I came close when Buffy killed off Tara. I hate Joss Whedon.

To understand where I'm coming from, here's an essay that I wrote for my writing blog.

How can you hate Joss Whedon? He writes incredible strong, independent, smart female characters. I mean no one wants to see a beloved favourite character killed off.... even I teared up at Tara's death.... but these are shows about epic drama, about heroes and journeys, and death is usually the catalyst for these type of dramas.

Anyway, I read your blog, though I am not sure I understand or agree with your reasoning...?
You believe if a girl character is CUTE and LIKEABLE they should never be killed in any type of story?
Is it okay to kill an unattractive girl in a story?
Or are you against killing any female character?

And what about cute male characters?

I agree violence against women as portrayed in Hollywood can often be unbalance and exploitive but at the same time, people die in stories and real life whether they are good, bad, cute, ugly or sad.... sorry, I couldn't resist the song....

I mean would it be any better if this was female starring tv show, maybe a modern Wonder Woman, and instead her attractive boyfriend Steve Trevor was killed? Would you feel the same outrage?

Telling a good story is all about creating drama and conflict, and in action shows and movies, that drama is often sparked by violence and death.

While I love the character of Sara (in fact, I think she is far more engaging actress than the one who plays Laurel) her death, while shocking, was not unexpected. She is a trained assassin who operates in a world of violence. She has tried to defect from the League of Assassins, a powerful fanatical secret society that does not tolerate disobedience. They tried to kill her throughout season two, so her death at their hands is not totally unbelievable. If it was even the League that killed her, as we do not know that yet. And this a comic book universe we are talking about.... death is never permanent if the writer changes his mind. Heck, they killed Green Arrow and brought him back in the comics.

But in just terms of the greater story, propelling the new season arc forward and evolving the show's characters, I think Sara's death scene worked really well. (that is if she is even really, really, really dead....). But I guess it comes down to why you are watching the show to begin with... if it is just for the cute girls... then yeah, I can understand why you would want to stop watching. Me, I was so completely blown away by the writing and production values of the second season, that I have faith the writers/producers are going to give the viewers another action/drama packed season. I am really looking forward to see how Sara's death affects all the characters and how it drives the story forward.

I know I am making a mountain out of a anthill..... sorry...:)

It's always possible that Caity Lotz could remain in the series, and not just in flashbacks. If Laurel is indeed set up to be the next Canary -- and that's been strongly hinted at since before Sara first returned (remember her comment in Season 1 about
wearing "fishnets" as part of a Halloween costume
? Not to mention the fact that Dinah is her real first name, with Laurel being her middle name), then I think it's pretty likely, no matter what training Katie Cassidy does, that she will need a stunt double more than Lotz did...and Caity Lotz just happens to be a stuntwoman as well as an actress.

Either way, Cassidy looks to be in better shape in the season premiere than she was throughout Season 2...still, I think she may be a way off from being able to tackle the salmon ladder like Lotz did (though I'd be happy to be proven wrong).

ETA: Could do without the duck face (canary face?), but it definitely looks like she has been training hard, if this is a recent photo (spoiler tag for size):

tumblr_naajfm5P7Y1rmrlnyo1_1280.jpg

And I had no idea until just now that she is the daughter of David Cassidy!

ETA 2: Would just like to point out one small thing I loved from the premiere:
Ray Palmer's proposed rebranding of Starling City as Star City, which is of course the name of the city in the classic comic books.

bionicbob said:
I guess it comes down to why you are watching the show to begin with

I started watching, because "superhero series".

Plus I'd stuck with "Smallville" from the beginning through the horrible series finale, and I thought "Arrow" would be similar but done better and not last nearly as long. I didn't realize it would be so dark.

I'm not a comic book fan. When I did read superhero comics, I was into female-starring titles, and I read the various Superman, Batman, X-Men, etc., titles only when a female character that I liked made a guest appearance.

I'm unfamiliar with (and have no emotional attachment to) the vast majority of the characters whose movies that I see and series that I watch. I know nothing about Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Thor, etc., beyond what I see in the movies (and I've forgotten most of the details at that). I'm not one that can pick up little in-jokes or nitpick about how some minutia is not like in the comics, because I neither know nor care.

Heck, even with some female characters, I have trouble remembering stuff. I hadn't even memorized most of the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents' names (beyond Coulson, May, and Sky) until recently, and I got Sky and Simmons confused early on, not knowing who was who until I heard her accent.

Even on "Arrow", I got Laurel and what's-her-name (Oliver's sister) mixed up. I don't particularly care for the hacker chick, and, while she was on the dinner date with Oliver, I didn't even realize it was her.

My typical viewing experience was "Hmm, Ollie's doing stuff, okay. Gah, island crap. Okay, Ollie's doing stuff again. Ooh, Sara. Hmm, more fighting against whoever. Yeah, okay, Chloe 2.0, go away. Okay, episode's over. Time to get back on the 'Net."

So, yeah, Sara was the reason that I stuck with "Arrow".

Thanks Mark, I now understand. :)

Just caught up with these first two eps. How awesome is Arrow? So freaking awesome they can make Brandon Routh witty, intelligent, charming and cool - what a great character! I'm totally on Team Felicity, and have therefore always been pro-Olicity, but I gotta say, I'm downright proud of her for dumping our hero. If he ever decides to commit to her, she deserves better than to let anything come between him and the two of them. He better come correct, you know? So, you go, girl! And hey, I'm always single... :p

Very curious to see where this Routh character goes. I hope he won't turn out to be a secret bad guy - after Malcolm, Sebastian Blood and Summer Glau, we've had enough of said trope.

I liked how we got to see so much sunlight and bright daytime scenes in the premiere. So much for all that, of course...

I also dug how Ollie just forgave Roy instead of throwing a fit. He thought about it, decided Roy'd acted like a gentleman, and moved on. It's certainly not as though he has any moral high ground to stand on.

What an amazing show...

(And the Barry Allen cameo was very cool also.)

Gaith said:
Very curious to see where this Routh character goes. I hope he won't turn out to be a secret bad guy - after Malcolm, Sebastian Blood and Summer Glau, we've had enough of said trope.

I don't think Routh will be turning bad.

Ray Palmer is a major character in the DCU. He is the superhero THE ATOM--able to shrink down to the atomic level is size. He is also a super genius.

My understanding Routh will be appearing on both Arrow and Flash. On Arrow they will portray the businessman/genius side, while on the Flash they may develop his super hero persona.

It's gonna be hard for Arrow to achieve the peak they hit last season, but I'm excited to see how it progresses. As [MENTION=9920]Mark Moore[/MENTION] pointed out, this show isn't probably going to go on as long as Smallville. I believe I read somewhere when it premiered that they had a 5 season idea and that was that. Of course they could keep it going depending on how the DC movies go and interests may arise, but I like that they have an idea of where this is going to go and a time limit of when to get it done. The show could always hit that 5 year mark and the season end with Oliver getting rescued and the series could progress without the flashbacks from that point on.

Saw my brother over the weekend and borrowed the first season from him. Only three episodes in so far but I am loving it. I wish I had given this show a chance when it first started. Now I've got a lot of catching up to do. :lol: Been avoiding the previews during The Flash for the last couple of weeks too. Don't want anything spoiled before I get to it.

Decent episode but Thea is my least favourite character ( or is it the actress?) so that lowered my enjoyment level. And you gotta admit, she looks very unathletic/awkward in the action close ups. Good thing she has an awesome action stunt double.

Upon first impression, I am not liking the Ted Grant casting.... not even remotely close to how I ever envisioned the character. Once again, typical CW too young casting.

The Laural stuff I enjoyed.

Felicity and Palmer were excellent together. Definitely the most enjoyable element of the episode for me. And were they setting up a Felicity cameo for the Flash next week?

Again, not overly impressed with the casting/reinterpretation of Mark Snow, but I do see potential there.

But wow! Another awesome cliffhanger ending!

Back
Top Bottom