• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Arrow

holy crap!

Now that is a cliffhanger!

Also the comic nerd in me loved how the A.T.O.M. suit was originally called OMAC.:D

We all know that Ollie's not really dead, so no suspense there. And seeing how much trouble he had when fighting Malcolm Merlyn did you really expect him to defeat Ras Al Gul? The only good thing to come from tonight's episode is that they found out who killed Sara. So maybe now they could drop that storyline and move on to something that's actually interesting.

Completely disagree FC. :)

Of course Ollie is not dead ( a trip to the Lazarus Pit would be my guess ), but the way the story unfolded I thought was excellent.
Considering Batman can barely go toe to toe with Ra's Al Ghul on his best days, I had no expectation of Ollie being able to physically beat him. It was never truly about beating him, it was about protecting Thea. This episode was all about character and what drives Ollie. I found it to be very interesting.

I am warming to Matt Noble's casting as Ra's Al Ghul..... still not my first choice, but he definitely brought a nice balance of menace and mystery. I am loving that this version of Ra's is far more faithful to the comics source material than Nolan's. Too bad they did not give Noble a more classic style Ra's beard...lol

Though I did geek out at the homage to this....

4GTwAg.jpg

Maybe in future episodes, Ra's will refer to Ollie only as "Archer", just as he only calls Batman "Detective".

bionicbob said:
Completely disagree FC. :)

Of course Ollie is not dead ( a trip to the Lazarus Pit would be my guess ), but the way the story unfolded I thought was excellent.
Considering Batman can barely go toe to toe with Ra's Al Ghul on his best days, I had no expectation of Ollie being able to physically beat him. It was never truly about beating him, it was about protecting Thea. This episode was all about character and what drives Ollie. I found it to be very interesting.

No, I know it wasn't about beating him but protecting Thea. I just found the whole thing predictable. I'm still on the fence about this show. I'm not really a comic book guy so that could be part of it. I just like my superheroes to be based in reality, i.e. no superpowers. Batman, Daredevil, The Punisher. These are my guys. And while I know Arrow doesn't have any superpowers the second season really ruined the show for me and it's fighting to keep me interested.

I feel a little bit like the episode probably had a greater shock factor for people who don't know Ra's from the comics, since there may be greater mystery as to how he could have fought someone 67 years ago and still look relatively youthful and how Ollie can come back. Still, I am curious about how they will handle Ollie coming back. I think it could be a bold choice to have him out of the picture for a while, giving room for the others (Roy, Ray, Laurel, perhaps even Katana) to come into their own as heroes.

Great catch with the Ra's-Bats fight, Bob! I have an oversized version of that comic that I got as a kid, and it's the primary way I know Ra's, but I had forgotten about that scene.

I agree with you about the facial hair, and I still struggle a bit with him having such a clearly Australian accent, but he does have a face that looks like he could be hundreds of years old; as I told Mrs. Heb last night, it looks like the lines in his face were gouged out with a hatchet, which is not a bad thing for someone who's been kind of the ultimate fighter for centuries. He also, unusually for this show, does not have perfect "pretty" abs; instead, he's built like a fighter, with a body that looks like it stays in shape from constant activity rather than exercise, kind of like the look Russell Crowe went for in Gladiator.

Frantic Canadian said:
I'm still on the fence about this show. I'm not really a comic book guy so that could be part of it. I just like my superheroes to be based in reality, i.e. no superpowers. Batman, Daredevil, The Punisher. These are my guys. And while I know Arrow doesn't have any superpowers the second season really ruined the show for me and it's fighting to keep me interested.

Fair enough. I am an uber-comic geek, so for me, any connections to the greater DC Universe gives me nerdgasms. LOL.

feel a little bit like the episode probably had a greater shock factor for people who don't know Ra's from the comics, since there may be greater mystery as to how he could have fought someone 67 years ago and still look relatively youthful and how Ollie can come back. Still, I am curious about how they will handle Ollie coming back. I think it could be a bold choice to have him out of the picture for a while, giving room for the others (Roy, Ray, Laurel, perhaps even Katana) to come into their own as heroes.

If I am interpreting some the producer interviews, it sounds like Ollie will be absent from Starling City for at least three episodes and there will be some focus on Laurel evolving into Black Canary. Though I would like to see more exploration into Roy, as he is sorely underdeveloped this season, mostly a bit background player doing the puppy dog eyes thing.... lol.

Aye, very cool ep.

... I, uh, that's all I got, really. Other than that, thanks entirely to this show, I now know that Green Arrow is a dozen times cooler and more interesting than that grimdark Zorro ripoff. :p (Sooo, I guess Palmer's backstory confirms that only people who traumatically lose at least one loved one can become heroes in this 'verse?)

And what was with that map showing Starling City as being roughly in the Chicago area?! I was thinking it was a Seattle-area city. Whatever, I'm still thinking that. West Coast, Best Coast! :-D

Our favourite assassin Manu DEATHSTROKE Bennett has been casted as the druid ALLANON for MTV's SHANNARA. I think this is very good casting, though he does not have the height of the character, he certainly embodies the power and darkness. Hopefully the show does not suck. LOL.

Now back to Starling City.... :-D

Picked up season one on dvd for xmas and I have rewatched about half the season so far....

It is really interesting rewatching from beginning, watching how the show evolved.... I forgot about the Oliver voice overs for the first 5 or 6 episodes. I am glad they dropped that, as I think it works much better on The Flash than here.

It also really becomes clear right from the pilot that the writers had a well thought out back story for Oliver's missing 5 years.... I mean it is clear something more than simply being marooned happened to him.... one does not learn Russian or computer hacking skills on a deserted island ( his computer skills seem to decrease with the intro of Felicity ) Though I found it odd, while everyone comments on all his body scars, no one asks him how he got his Russian and Chinese tattoos on the island.... lol.

But overall, watching back to back, season one plays much stronger than I originally remembered. Might have to go out and buy/rewatch season two before the series returns mid-January.

Ollie had voiceovers? I don't remember that at all! And good point about the tattoos. :-D

More thoughts about ARROW as I wrap up season one on dvd....

One thing season three has yet to deal with in any significant manner is the loss of Ollie's company and fortune... I really wanted to see Ollie struggle a bit, have to get a job or something..... but interestingly, on the dvd there is a deleted scene in the VERTIGO episode which shows Ollie and Diggle going to a bank where Ollie keeps a secret stash of money..... there is literally MILLIONS of dollars of cash stacked on the shelves. Diggle is shocked and Ollie makes an off hand comment that is is just one of many banks where he has money hidden. I wonder if this will be addressed in the series proper again....?

^ I've wondered about that too, and figured he's got a few million stashed away. It's not like he's spending extravagantly, though I do recall there being some question of the Verdant club being sold off, but I guess that day-to-day operations are paying those bills again.

Started rewatching Season Two.... the third episode Broken Dolls featured something I missed the first time around, when Ollie and Slade are on higher ground scanning the horizon in search of the Amazo ship, the camera briefly shows a TEMPLE on one of the island's mountainsides! I don't think this was mentioned again in season two and no mention of it in season three so far.... But this could be an interesting subplot as Green Arrow at one point in the comics did reside with some monks. It could also the place he might receive more martial arts training? Maybe he trained with the Bronze Tiger? Or maybe they will introduce Richard Dragon? Maybe it will be the basis for the season four flashbacks??? One thing is very cool when rewatching, the writers love to plant future plot seeds very subtlety.

Half way through season two.... and I wonder why, after all the references and set up of KORD Industries in season one and two, did the producer make Brandon Routh Ray Palmer instead of Ted (Blue Beatle) Cord?

Note: just checked the good old net, apparently the original plan was to use Ted Cord but DC nixed it, saying the character was unavailable but offered the producers Ray Palmer instead.

Only a couple weeks to the return.... Yay!

No comments on the winter premiere LEFT BEHIND?

I thought it was an exceptionally strong episode. Even though we know Ollie is not (or will not remain ) dead, I really felt Felicity's pain and I gotta admit I choked up a bit with her in the last scene. Though I was not very surprised by the BIG REVEAL at the very end, as the flashbacks seemed to clearly telegraph it. Though, how Ollie was resurrected by Katana? Amell and the producers have hinted in interviews that the Lazarus Pit is not involved. Some more magic herbs, perhaps?

Vinnie Jones as The Brick was great, and I look forward to the chaos he will unleash over the next couple of episodes. Also great to see Roy having something to do and some good lines of dialogue. As always, some fantastic action work in this episode. I have said before and I will say it again, this is the best executed action/stunt show I have ever watched on Network TV.

Seeing Merlin actually terrified that Ollie failed was a great scene... Next episode we get to see Laurel in full action as Black Canary, and it sounds like she will have a hard road in front of her.

I thought the episode was very good, with Felicity at its core, and I agree with you about Roy. I also thought Dig was exceptional in this episode (and love his admission that Ollie's costume is too tight, which I thought it was in Season 1), particularly in his journey from being the strong stoic who is counseling Felicity to prepare for the worst to his final admission that he feels lost and doesn't know what to do from here.

I understand why they had the big reveal, and I suspect that the CW may have been concerned about losing viewers who may think that his death was for real (which it was). But I also think that the episode and (hopefully) the next couple might have benefited from there being a bit of mystery about Ollie's fate, for the (casual) audience as well as for the characters. I kind of felt that the reveal slightly undercut the great emotional work that was done in the rest of the episode. It's the first time that I've actually thought "there should be a fanedit of this" with this show to actually address an issue, rather than to condense a story or focus on Ollie's past or something.

If I were to edit the episode, I might end it in one of a number of different ways (spoiler tag in case anyone reading isn't caught up yet):

1. Dig's admission that he doesn't know what comes next. Seems a good summation of the episode overall.

2. Laurel eyeing Sara's old gear. Would focus on her decision to become the Canary while saving her big reveal for later.

3. Laurel's first outing as the Canary. Would bring into focus the idea that there's a new hero in town. I wish they hadn't included this in the teaser, since the payoff would have been bigger.

4. Any of Felicity's scenes, but maybe especially the one with Ray where she tells him she can't stop him from killing himself, but won't help him and walks away. Could set up the idea that Felicity is really, really done.

Oh, also, while I agree with you completely about the stunt work, I was slightly disappointed in some of Roy's wirework in this episode. The timing looked off and seemed to ignore physics in one or two spots (think Crouching Tiger, but without the conventions of Chinese action films to back it up), so it was obvious that he was on a wire with a harness, where with Amell that is very, very rarely the case (and where it is, he's usually supposed to be wearing a harness in character). That's down to direction and editing, not to Colton Haynes or the stunt crew, and I think it stood out because it's the first time in all the episodes that I have noticed the "machinery" instead of being caught up in the amazing action. Fortunately, they were one or two very brief shots.

Anyway, this is nitpicky, and I really did enjoy the episode and am waiting very impatiently to see what comes next...

The action is very good when it's hand to hand, not when it's prolonged chase scenes on motorcycle. I tend to zone out. Alias still did action better IMHO.

I finally got into the show after several failed attempts. :) When I sat down and tried to remember what happened in the first few episodes my mind was completely blank, I just didn't absorb any of it. Since seeing the Flash crossover I really felt like I was missing out on some cool story (everyone I know who has seen Arrow loves it) so I gave it another chance. My wife keeps asking "You really don't remember any of this?" And I'll look down and whisper "No" (lol). I just let it flow and something clicked that hadn't before, and I am enjoying it now, quite a bit. About 7 episodes into the first season at the moment, and I'm pretty sure this is a show about a serial killer in a goofy green hoodie, but it's a pretty damn GOOD one.

I totally see the possibility of a fanedit of the first season though.
TV-to-movie, maybe a trilogy of 2 hour films. Not that I could or would do this but the footage is definitely there. Put together all island footage as the first act, condense the list into a montage, end the montage with Deadshot interrupting one of his murders. Lose the family and relationship drama almost completely. I'm sure I'll think of an ending at some point within the next 20~ episodes. Maybe end the first one with the cops arresting Oliver for murder.

Back
Top Bottom