• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Arrow

addiesin said:
I totally see the possibility of a fanedit of the first season though.
TV-to-movie, maybe a trilogy of 2 hour films. Not that I could or would do this but the footage is definitely there. Put together all island footage as the first act, condense the list into a montage, end the montage with Deadshot interrupting one of his murders. Lose the family and relationship drama almost completely. I'm sure I'll think of an ending at some point within the next 20~ episodes. Maybe end the first one with the cops arresting Oliver for murder.

I have been toying with this idea.... I think the way I would approach it is do two companion movies per season:
Season One: Green Arrow YEAR ONE (just island story) and Green Arrow THE UNDERTAKING
Season Two: Green Arrow YEAR TWO and Green Arrow THE PROMISE

I would remove all subplots where possible (no Huntress, no Suicide Squad, etc) and just focus on the core story. The island stories I think can be easily cut down into a 2 hour structure, though the main Arrow story might push the 3 hour marker.

Love those ideas, Bob, and I would definitely watch them if you do make them! :)

Some thoughts about tonight's episode: overall, I thought it was a really good follow-up that explored Starling without Ollie in ways that I really hoped it would. I think Laurel came into her own here more than she has in the past, and the episode was a chance for her to shine in a way that the previous episode was a chance for Felicity. While Katie Cassidy didn't quite hit the same heights that Emily Bett Rickards did, she did an admirable job overall.

Some more thoughts in spoilers in case anyone isn't caught up yet:

1. I think they handled the scenes between "Sara" and Quentin very well. I always figured there had to be a scene where Laurel pretended to be Sara to Quentin's face, so I was anticipating that. What I wasn't anticipating was the phone call that, with Felicity's help, allowed Laurel to sound like Sara. I don't know if this technology actually exists, but I'd seen the basic concept before on White Collar, so I just accepted that it had to be Laurel rather than, say, Felicity altering her own voice, since a close familial match made the effect "work" in White Collar and presumably here as well. It also allowed us to see Laurel's pain in a way that the later scene in costume, face concealed by light from the building, couldn't.

2. I love the fact that they are making it so difficult for Laurel to be the Canary. It makes sense that Dig and Roy would have trouble filling in for Ollie, but Laurel has a much steeper learning curve than they do. Smartly, the show makes this explicit, which allows us to see her fail and to root for her. It also gives Katie Cassidy a real story arc to play out, which she hasn't really had before, and it gives the audience a chance to get used to her as the "real" Canary. BTW, also happy to see Laurel refer to herself by her full name, Dinah Laurel Lance, as she threatens Brick's henchman in the interrogation room.

3. Loved the Red Arrow reference in the news footage. We've now had Roy referred to as Speedy, Arsenal, and Red Arrow. I can't help feeling that we are slowly -- and maybe not so slowly -- reaching a point where somebody, somewhere is actually going to say "Green Arrow" on the show.

4. Mrs. Heb loves that Felicity and Ray seem to be getting ever closer, coining "Feliciray" to counter the "Ollicity" memes online. I'm just glad that Routh is getting such a chance to show how good he really is and finally become a hero without being in the shadow of Christopher Reeve, though with a similar heart.

5. I have a very, very bad feeling about what tore Maseo's family apart and drove him to join the League of Assassins. I can't help feeling that the only thing that could have done that is the death of their son. I hope I'm wrong, but it would fit the show's pattern that Gaith so rightly pointed out.

6. I figured there had to be more to the DJ than we had seen before, since the show is just too smart to use him merely as a new love interest for Thea. Even so, I never saw that twist coming!

Anyway, very strong stuff overall, and I feel like the show is definitely hitting its stride and building towards some really promising developments that could both change the show and keep it fresh for the rest of the season, if not beyond.

bionicbob said:
I have been toying with this idea.... I think the way I would approach it is do two companion movies per season:
Season One: Green Arrow YEAR ONE (just island story) and Green Arrow THE UNDERTAKING
Season Two: Green Arrow YEAR TWO and Green Arrow THE PROMISE

I would remove all subplots where possible (no Huntress, no Suicide Squad, etc) and just focus on the core story. The island stories I think can be easily cut down into a 2 hour structure, though the main Arrow story might push the 3 hour marker.

Get out of my head! Was thinking something similar, though I haven't fully thought it through. With there being a whole lot of back story to Ollie's time away, it would be hard without having several edits to cover it all. I wonder if you could have a series of movies where each movie uses the first 20-30 mins as an extended prologue which leads into the core of the film that focuses on the present. An example would be for season 2 having Ollie work with Slade and Shado and stuff with the mirakuru and then after 20-30 mins the rest of the movie would deal with Ollie in the present following the Undertaking and "the promise."

Just caught up with the past two eps. Yeah, it definitely looks like Maseo Jr. is a goner. That's a heavy place to go even for this show, but since they're telegraphing it so heavily there may be some twist coming (like they had to fake their own deaths and give him up for adoption under as assumed identity or something, so he's alive but beyond their reach, shades of Ghost Protocol). We'll see.

They're being very ambiguous as to whether or not Ollie really did die, aren't they. I mean, it would be pretty lame if he hadn't, and was just very injured and sleeping very heavily (with a backbone of steel to survive the fall, but then, this is a show where machine guns never hit anything), but there's also dramatic value in Ollie not fully understanding or knowing how he's still alive.

Some unintentional comedy in the scene between Roy and Malcolm. "Thea always finds out the truth"?? Since when, and about what?! I half-expected Malcolm to say, "Are you kidding? She's such a moron, she wouldn't guess her brother was the Arrow if she found her way into his cave underneath her own nightclub! She'd be all, 'gee, the Arrow's been operating out of a Queen property all along; what are the odds?' She's as thick-headed as that ignoramus cop guy!"

I also expected Nessa to deliver the death news. What, the League's code of honor doesn't encompass condolence visits? I didn't really buy that, but it was necessary for the direction of the story they went in.

Yes, of course, Brick was the Juggernaut. He seemed kinda familiar, but I couldn't place it. He may not be as scary on paper as Malcolm or Slade, but it's good to finally have a big bad, and his hulking bruiser figure is a nice change of pace from those sleek warriors, and a nice mirror to the more sophisticated bruiser Rha's. Both even talk about their first kills. I don't have a problem that we're only meeting him now, but some rumors and mentions earlier in the season would have been nice. Still, he's got oodles of style; that meeting by the water was great. 'Course, the mayor could learn some lessons from Waller in sacrificing two innocents to save hundreds more, which she actually totally should have done.

Speaking of which, I've been meaning to bring this up for a while, but Waller's a total supervillain, right? Trying to murder an entire passenger plane just to get one guy, let alone being ready to nuke Starling? The show has teased a looming confrontation between Ollie and her already, and I hope it happens some day, and isn't course-corrected/retconned away/forgotten the way Jor-El's villainy was on Smallville. (Which was perhaps that show's single best idea, and they just threw it away for mere canon conformity. Argh!)

Gaith said:
Speaking of which, I've been meaning to bring this up for a while, but Waller's a total supervillain, right? Trying to murder an entire passenger plane just to get one guy, let alone being ready to nuke Starling? The show has teased a looming confrontation between Ollie and her already, and I hope it happens some day, and isn't course-corrected/retconned away/forgotten the way Jor-El's villainy was on Smallville. (Which was perhaps that show's single best idea, and they just threw it away for mere canon conformity. Argh!)

I would not quite describe Amanda Waller as a super villain. In some ways, she is the Nick Fury of the DC Universe. A Washington DC manipulator, black ops grandmaster.... a woman who is willing to sacrifice others for the greater good. Created back in the 1980s during DC's first post Crisis crossover event LEGENDS, she recreated Task Force X aka the Suicide Squad and was a top ranking director of the CHECKMATE (again, DC's version of SHIELD). With the nu52 reboot, Waller was made slimmer and sexier and Checkmate was replaced with ARGUS.

lFnB6a.jpg

A2WcA5.jpg

Aye, I'm vaguely aware of Waller's comic roots, but I meant, this Waller on the show is a supervillain, right? 'Cause again, she tried to straight-up murder a lot of people with the plane thing. Not play hardball by refusing to pay a ransom. Not take a risky shot that might hit a bystander or two. Murder an entire plane. So far as I know, MCU SLJ Nick Fury is not anywhere near that psychotic. Not even close.

Again, same thing with Jor-El on Smallville. I don't care how noble comics and/or Slumming-It-Brando Jor-El was - that show's Terrence Stamp Jor-El meant for his kid to be a planetary despot. The absolute least they could have done would have been to say that Zod had somehow infected the ship's AI (get it, Terrence Stamp infected by Zod? meta!) to make him/"it" say that, but again, I really loved the despotic Jor-El angle.

Gaith said:
Aye, I'm vaguely aware of Waller's comic roots, but I meant, this Waller on the show is a supervillain, right? 'Cause again, she tried to straight-up murder a lot of people with the plane thing. Not play hardball by refusing to pay a ransom. Not take a risky shot that might hit a bystander or two. Murder an entire plane. So far as I know, MCU SLJ Nick Fury is not anywhere near that psychotic. Not even close.

oh... sorry, misunderstood.:)
Yeah, this Waller is certainly an extremist. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out she is somehow responsible for Maesso and Katana's relationship dissolving.

In regards to Smallville's original version of Jor-el, I was definitely one of those long time Superman fans that was outraged with this interpretation.... lol ...and I am happy they attempted to retro-correct this, even if it was very poorly done.

Observation: That was Caity Lotz playing Laurel/Black Canary on the shadowy fires ecape scene. There is no mistaking the completely different body type... lol.

Another observation: I have commented at how impressed I am with the writers/producers having a definite 5 year Island arc mapped out and more evidence now comes to light.... in a recently release upcoming episode synopsis, it is revealed Ollie and Maesso come to Starling City in pursuit of the Alpha/Omega thingie and Ollie looks in on his family against Waller's orders. This jives with the first season conversation between Laurel and Tommy, where Laurel believes Ollie already knew she and Tommy were together but Tommy questions how that could be even possible? Well, now we know.... lol

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, THE ATOM!!!

xwrArD.jpg

The Atom will make his debut in episode 15.

Bring on the spin-off series! :D

That is certainly an impressive costume for a TV superhero. His character feels a bit Iron Man-ish

I'm really liking this!

I love it, but it seems (maybe intentionally?) a little too much like Ant-Man.

The A.T.O.M. suit is not how I imagined, but the more I examine it, the more I like it. :)

Unlike Iron Man, it has a more of an exo-skeleton look. I love they kept the classic Atom symbol on the forehead. Even though the suit is forged from "white dwarf" meteor, I doubt this version of the Atom will be shrinking down to micro-scoptic sizes.... at least maybe not til the spin-off if it happens... lol. Seriously, it is hard to imagine how they could do a micro-hero justice on a tv budget even with CGI?

So many great moments in tonight's episode "Uprising"....:)

"Harper!?!!!"
-- I love Captain Lance. It was a great scene. Especially Roy's reaction....lol. I would not be surprised if Lance figures out Ollie's identity (if he does not already secretly know...?) before the season over.

Though based on the preview for next week's episode, soon everyone will know Ollie's secret identity.... lol. I got to admit, it is one of the things that bugs me about the show (and it looks like the Flash may be travelling the same path), what happened to the good old days where superheroes kept their alter egos an actual secret and worked alone instead with a massive support team that now always includes an Oracle type computer wizard?:p

The scene at the end with Arrow addressing the crowd and then swing off on his Arrow rope -- totally AWESOME!!! PURE SUPER HERO MOMENT GOODNESS!!!

Vinnie Jones was great as Brick. Watching him clean Wildcat's clock was a powerhouse moment. They set up Wildcat as this great fighter and then he barely lasts a single round. The you see Merlin kick Brick's butt. Maybe Laurel has the wrong combat teacher?

Back to Lance, the way they emphasized him taking his medicine and Syn telling him the Canary is not Sara.... I already feel his heartache and pain.

Merlin. I love to hate this guy. He is a monster and beyond redemption imo. I am in complete agreement with Felicity on this one and her argument with Ollie about how he says he loves the women in his life but how he acts on that love in real life has a lot of truth. And in the end, I think Thea will be the one that will pay the ultimate price for Ollie's choices.

All in all, an impressive close to this three part storyline. After a slow burn start to the season, the show feels like it has slipped into a higher gear similar to season two.

I have to say that the only thing that bothered me about last night's episode was Felicity at the end. The last few episodes she was dealing with the uncertainty of Oliver's fate, but the way she ended the show last night was a bit of an eye roller for me. If they had ended the show just 2-3 mins earlier, it would've been a perfect ending. I agree with your comments about Merlin [MENTION=4677]bionicbob[/MENTION] and the choices that the team made were also something I agreed with. Really it was
how Felicity got so preachy right after Oliver, who is clearly injured and still hobbling about, comes back to see them. She then criticizes how he let them them believe he was dead and how he didn't reach out to them when he just said that he didn't exactly have cell service. Clearly things must be really bad and hard pressed if Oliver is saying that Merlin is going to train him to fight Rhas. If I were Oliver, I would be thinking how I should have just stayed dead. Coming back to his friends and family would mean Rhas would come after him and that he would need help from more than just Team Arrow. She spent 3 episodes pining over him and his possible death and now that he comes back with his back against the wall she chooses to be a bit of a b*tch to him.

End of rant.

I completely see you point [MENTION=5719]musiced921[/MENTION]. To me though, in the end I think for Felicity it is only partly about Ollie teaming up with Merlin, but more about how Ollie treats those he professes to love and about the principles he claims he stands and fights for.... How does one stop a man like Ras al Ghul with out becoming the very same demon?

What drove me crazy and really made me angry was the whole scene in the club with Thea defending and justifying Merlin's actions during the Undertaking. Seriously!?!? This guy murdered 503 people. He would have murdered thousands more if Ollie had not stopped him. But that is all okay, because he was sad about his dead wife???? And oh, he "saved" Thea while the others busy as all hell broke loose in the Glades, so he must be a really good guy!??!!!

I have never cared for Thea but after rewatching seasons one and two back to back, I sort of soften of her a bit as she is very emotionally damaged. But after this scene, I just can not stand her again. She just comes across as a self-obsessed, spoiled, needy brat. Everything revolves around her.... uhg. And then to have Roy agree with her reasoning, even though he knows Merlin brainwashed Thea to kill Sara.... wtf! Total face palm moment.

It will be interesting to see how Thea reacts to Ollie revealing his secret next week (at least I assume that is what he is doing based the previews). I mean at this point, there is absolutely no reason for Thea not to know. Not knowing certainly has not protected her.

Another thought, I really hope Merlin is killed this season, or at the very least stops being a cast regular and instead becomes just a good villain sparingly used. I already see the dreaded signs of so many past tv shows where a villain becomes popular and instead of the writers finishing his story and writing him out, they struggle to find ways to keep the character around in the show, often opting for the tired "redemption" story line and in the end making the character less interesting. Maybe Merlin will sacrifice himself in battle with Ras to save Thea? Maybe Thea will go to the dark side and become the new Dark Archer?

Last night's episode's theme seemed to be all about revealing secrets and the price they bring.

I thought Thea's reaction to Ollie's reveal was surprising and very refreshing. I was actually liking her again. But then her extreme flip flop on Merlin surprised me. Last week she was defending Merlin, even though she knows he is a mass murderer and this week she turns on him. But not because of his evil past, but simply because he lied to her. What the... ? I dunno. I can't decide if it is bad writing or bad acting? Maybe I am missing something.

The changed dynamic of Team Arrow was very dramatic, watching Roy and Felicity challenge Ollie's authority. Once again, Diggle brought Ollie some much needed perspective.

For the most part, this was Laurel's episode and watching her struggle for acceptance from Ollie and coming to terms with what type of hero she wants to be. And that last scene between Laurel and her father.... I knew it was coming, but man was it gut wrenching and heart breaking.

Next week, with Ollie and Thea on the Island, it is time for the return of Deathstroke!!!

So, I'm curious as to what you all who have actually seen Arrow think of this article.

http://badassdigest.com/2015/02/13/how-arrow-failed-felicity/

Since my mom recently got addicted to this show, I've only got the faintest inkling of what the characters are like on the occasions where I take a peak of what's going on (since part of me is worried that the time will come where I need to know Arrow information to understand something on Flash, like when Clock King showed up). As such, my most basic reads on the characters are that Felicity and Diggle are great, Moira is/was good, Laurel and Thea are terrible, and Oliver is somewhere in the middle (not helped by his (supposed) tendency to shoot his allies like Roy and Barry).

Anyway, I feel like something can be said when tv shows or movies try to do their own take yet still retain some sense of the comics continuity like, in what seems to be some cases, keeping the love interests the same. Taking example from another CW show, I'm really sick of the relationship drama between Barry and Iris, and even though Linda Park is "suppose" to be Wally West's future wife, since Barry and Linda have better chemistry together, I hope the show goes the organic route and let's that relationship grow naturally, while focusing on Iris as a journalist and not someone for Barry to pine over or someone who pines over Barry.

I am now officially done with this show. Laurel's been getting on my nerves for a good long while now. And now that she's taking over Sara's role as Black Cat, or whatever she called herself, it's like Sara's back on the show again. Ollie's also been getting on nerves lately. And I'm sick and tired of the flashbacks to his past. I really couldn't care less about them once he got off the island. I'm just really not enjoying the show any more, so I'm out.

Frantic Canadian said:
I am now officially done with this show. Laurel's been getting on my nerves for a good long while now. And now that she's taking over Sara's role as Black Cat, or whatever she called herself, it's like Sara's back on the show again. Ollie's also been getting on nerves lately. And I'm sick and tired of the flashbacks to his past. I really couldn't care less about them once he got off the island. I'm just really not enjoying the show any more, so I'm out.

The show certainly isn't for everyone and if you've hated the flashbacks then that probably makes the decision easier. From what I've understood in some previous articles (though I have none to cite), the flashbacks are supposed to take us up to right when he gets rescued. From then on I don't know.

Sorry to hear that you're giving up on the show, but after giving it 2 and a 1/2 seasons, you've tried more than enough to accept not beating a dead horse.

Hey everyone, thought I'd drop by here. I had officially finally finished Season 2 of Arrow on Valentine's.

So I'm going to drop a few thoughts regarding it.

The Negative

- The character of Isabel, as much as I love Summer Glau, she felt like a rehash of Talia in Dark Knight Rises. Isabel didn't seem like much of a villain. Especially standing next to Manu's Deathstroke. She only joined with Slade cause
she had a vendetta against Oliver and his family cause they took Robert away from her? Sorry, didn't believe it.

-Aw, come on Arrow writers. Give us all a character that would've been awesome to see in the Suicide Squad ep. I'm referring to the certain Squad member that gave this fantastic quote "Do you cuties need some counseling? I'm a trained therapist.". I hope some day we will get to see Arrow's version of
Harley Quinn.
That'd be pretty boss.

The Positive

- Deathstroke. He was really boss. Definitely a step above Merlyn's threat in Season 1. In a way, it's nice to see some escalation to the threats that Oliver finds himself faced against. Plus Manu did an awesome job.

- Brother Blood. This was something that at first, I'll be honest, I wasn't sold on. He seemed like he was going to be a scarecrow knock-off. However, I find his mask to be cooler than Nolan's Scarecrow. And it was interesting to see his story play out.

- Black Canary. She was boss. I really liked the fact that the first Canary we see in this 'verse isn't Laurel, but is Sara. She was one of my favorite characters this season. When she came in first, she reminded me a little of where Oliver was in Season 1. And then she was coming into her own, becoming a hero in her own right.

- Roy Harper's arc. This was something that I can say was interesting. The mirakuru served as this version's of the comics addiction story. And so it was interesting to see Roy work through his rage that was being fueled by the mirakuru. Eventually being able to harness it.

- Birds of Prey. This was an episode that was nice to see. I love Huntress from the comics. And then fell in love with this version of the character, after the Birds of Prey series dropped the ball but in a way they honored the Earth 2 version. Helena is a bit of a tragic character that let her hunger for vengeance be her fall. And it was nice seeing Canary go up against Huntress. I'm hoping that somehow we can see the character again at some point. But it may not happen cause Helena's story does get wrapped up at the end of this episode.

- The finale. The last set of episodes (
the death of Moira til the end
to me seemed like the Season 2 finale. The story just kept escalating. Which was fantastic. One of my favorite parts was seeing Oliver and the rest of his army going up against Slade's army. It was epic. It reminded me a little of the big battle at end of Dark Knight Rises, only better.

Season 2 was a fantastic improvement from Season 1 (which is still great as well).

Season 3, I've seen the first couple of episodes. And it is a little bit of a slow start. But, I appreciate it. It allows us to see how things have changed since the end of Season 2. It allows there to be a little time to breathe and get our bearings. Only then to have our feet pulled out from under us with the unfortunate death of Canary. I was sad to see Sara go. But I'm hoping that Laurel can do good as Canary. I'm keeping my mind open to it.

One thing I will say that I do love is the casting of Brandon Routh as Ray Palmer. imo, He was killing it. It's nice seeing him be able to have some humor. Since Superman Returns didn't allow him to do that, he was always super serious in that film. Palmer is definitely a nice addition to this 'verse. And look forward to seeing how his story plays out.

In regards to Thea, yeah at first I wasn't a big fan of her character. But as the seasons have gone by, and seeing her story play out. I definitely will say that may have a soft spot for her. She has her edges cause of everything that has happened to her. But it's intriguing to see her dealing with that and becoming a stronger character.

And Emily Bett Rickards, she's fantastic as Felicity. She's easily one of my favorite characters on this show. If Oliver and Diggle are the mind and strength of Team Arrow, Felicity is the heart. And something I never even realized til I imdb'd her, Emily's only 23. And she does, imo, an incredible job with her acting.

I'll keep posting thoughts as I continue with my watching of Season 3.

Back
Top Bottom