• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Terminator 3: The Coming Storm

Great edit UA

Avishai101 said:
It seems that you won't really get T3 unless you saw the others... and if you saw the others, then you know how Terminators get clothes.

I watched T3 first and understood it.

Just watched this one. Very good, UA. All the edits look seamless, nothing stands out as being removed or altered.

Not that I'm complaining, but has anyone compared & contrasted this with T-Hope's T3 edit? I'm curious what the conceptual differences are between the two versions.

I'm having some trouble burning this. I usually download dvd files instead of avi's and use imgburn to make an iso file which I then burn using dvd decrypter. However with this fan cut I keep getting an S file instead of an iso file. When I try to use dvd decrypter it won't find this S file. Anyone know how to get this to work?

after you extact the rars you should have a Video_TS folder and possibly a Audio_TS folder, open imgburn, select 'write files/folders' drag and drop both folders (or just Video_TS if thats all there is) and burn that.
you dont need to make an ISO first.

Alright, I got it to work this time. I had to have both folders chosen at the same time.

Don't make an ISO. That's the point. You don't need to, and it just complicates things by adding an unnecessary step.

If your version of Imgburn is old, download the latest version. It's a free stand-alone program and you don't need DVD Decrypter at all.

Make an (empty) AUDIO_TS folder in the same directory as the VIDEO_TS one - just to be safe. Burn the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders to DVD. Done!

My first post, and I think it only fair that I use it to comment on the first fanedit I watched.

I had disowned and retconned the theatrical dvd after a few watchings, but being a completest I retained it all the same.

Just reading what had been amended made e want to see it, I opted for the mp4 version as I didn't want to meddle with larger files and I wasn;t familiar with jdownloader. Besides it was perfect format for my WD media centre.

The cut itself wasn't perfect, I can understand why UA took some of the stuff out and on 98% of the choices he made I agreed, theres jut a few parts during the hand to hand fighting where I wished he#'d left this tiny little bit in here, or that part with T-X's headspin, all minor and I suppose it makes the fight a bit less stupid.

I couldn't remember however if when the T-850 gets into the truck he has a fight with T-X in the cabin, it jut seemed so sudden that he got in and threw her out of the cabin with no real effort. I didn't mind overall as all the other crap had been gone, I really hated how whiney John seemed in the original, alot of people argued that he was unable to cope with his pressure as leader of the future resistence, but I call BS because Sarah wouldn't surely have helped him cope with that years ago, all the events here feel more consistent with the preceeding movies, and don't really mess up anything leader into salvation.

Now if only someone out there can fix that film (starting with less Bale and mute girl) I'll have 4 great terminator films instead of 3 and a half/

A truly fantastic and revelatory fanedit that proves how it's possible to turn a bad movie into a good one. You really removed EVERY single thing that ruins this movie.

I might be a unique case, because I watched your fanedit BEFORE viewing the original film, which I bought specifically for the experience of watching them in that order. Coming into the story cold, I feel the fanedit worked phenomenally well, except for a few things that may not seem that big of a deal to someone who saw the original first, but stood out having watched the original directly after yours. Revising these editing decisions would, in my opinion, elevate this fanedit to a realm of godliness that only a few fanedits occupy in my mind.

1. John's voiceover is pointless, read poorly by Nick Stahl, and sticks out like a sore thumb because it happens only once in the whole movie. It hurts the movie by triggering an ingrained expectation that it is weak on plot because it requires a VO to explain things. I think the "drifter" scenes would work much better with just atmospherics and score. The shots of John working construction and sitting on the bridge are nice character moments that perfectly encapsulate his vagabond existence. Without them, you need the voiceover to make that point. If I knew anything about fan editing, I would've started the movie with John on his bike, and let the montage play out exactly as it does in the original, but without the voiceover.

2. The lack of any real connection between John and Kate is the movie's fault. There was zero chemistry between the actors, and almost no scenes that remotely attempted to generate any. Therefore, I think EVERY scene that in some way builds a connection between the two of them is crucial. I agree with the removal of any mention that they end up married, but I would've left in the Mike Kripke's basement discussions. For one, I felt confused as to how she knew who John Conner was. It was clear to me that there was a bit missing there. It would be a cinch to remove any reference to 8th grade, and leave it up in the air as to the actual date of their "hookup".

3. I should care about Scott and Kate's relationship, but I really didn't in your edit. You barely know Scott. When I saw the shopping scene, I was very surprised that you removed it entirely just because of the second half. It introduces important characters, and gives you at least a snapshot of Scott, which helps make his death slightly more meaningful. You also learn that Kate has marriage anxiety (which enriches her character by a bit), and get a nice father/daughter moment that sets up and enhances the death scene near the end. I would've felt more strongly about Kate losing Scott and her father in one day, if we'd gotten that shopping scene. The only reason I can see you cutting it entirely is because one of the analysts mentions computer trouble. I think it's no problem to imagine that a supervirus invented in the future would've already begun to have a small effect that would manifest as simple "computer trouble". It's not like he goes into much detail. I also find it plausible that a group capable of inventing and deploying an AI would have a system capable of detecting even the most minute computer glitch. I would've kept the shopping scene, and cut from Kate to the desert for the T-850's arrival.

4. I like the "I am unable to comply" line. One or two humorous lines don't bother me, and this perfectly foreshadows the reveal that Kate is the only person the T-850 answers to.

5. The "destined to meet" line was a good one to remove, but I would've kept most of this discussion, and ended it with "You and me hooked up the day before I first met him, and now again 10 years later..." "Coincidence." "Yeah..."

6. After the final "Mike Kripke's basement", I would've cut from John's smile to the T-X walking down the hallway. These three reminiscing scenes tie together three points in the growth of John and Kate's friendship, which helps to involve the viewer in their fate.

I think that these few additional moments would've enhanced my attachment to the characters, and thus my appreciation of the film. Without them, I feel the greatest flaw of your fanedit is that you realize the movie is just characters without chemistry being shuffled from disaster to disaster. It's a good movie now, because the Terminator concept is strong, but it lacks a level of character detail that is more apparent in the previous two films. That's the fault of the movie itself, but restoring these scenes would help.

I hope you consider my comments not as complaints or insults, but as constructive criticism. It took me some time to put these thoughts together, which is a testament to the greatness of your fanedit!

vlcsnap.jpg

Hi

I'm new to fanedits and this site, and I thought this would be the first fanedit I watched, but the torrent is currently stuck at 99,6% availability, with a bunch of people waiting for the last .4%.

Now I read through the rules, but couldn't make out if you're allowed to ask for a reseed here on this forum or not. If not, then I apologize and hope the mods will have mercy on my noob ass.

Torrents aren't very common here. Have you tried getting it through fanedit.info?

Hehe, actually, I picked out this fanedit just because it was one of the few (that I would like to see) which had a torrent link on fanedit.info. Jdownloader is so cpu intensive/ram-hogging, it slows my computer almost to a halt.

I guess I'll see if I can find another way of getting it then...

Sounds like you need a new computer ;)

Actually it's a well known bug with JDownloader. There's a huge memory leak in there which basically will devour all the free memory you've got, no matter how good the computer. Keeping the program at the "settings" tab seems to help a little bit, but still, the program uses 30-50 times as much resources as utorrent.

Well known? First I've heard of it here. Everyone uses jdownloader and I've heard nothing of this.

well jdownloader is eating a lot of pc power that's true for me as well

and is there any way one can deactivate the jdownloaderlogo at the beginning that pops up in the middle of the screen and doesn't go away until it is fully loaded?

Although the bug apparently doesn't strike all computers, it is (as I said) fairly common. Take a look at your activity monitor/task manager with both utorrent and JDownloader running (with both programs downloading a bunch of files) and see for yourself. If JDownloader is not eating up at least 10 times more of your recourses than utorrent, then I am very envious of you.

I've got a bunch of computers (some old and some new) and have now set up a separate machine just for JDownloader, to get to watch these fanedits. I cannot use that machine for anything else now, as it goes horrendously slow.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but you would think that with all the effort you guys put into making these fanedits, you would want as many as possible to watch the result of all your hard work, yes? Wouldn't knowing that a whole bunch of interested people might skip the whole thing just because it is a lot of effort to download something you really put my heart into, make you a bit annoyed?

There are several much better alternatives to rapidshare out there, my current favorite being www.dropbox.com which has a free storage of 2GB per account (you can sign up for infinite number of accounts easy, as there is no need for email verification). It basically gives you a free http storage, where people can download files directly from, without any waiting or signing up or hassle. You don't even need to upload the files manually; just put them in a folder and it does the rest automatically! (hehe, I sound like a commercial)

Anyway, I've spread several terrabytes this way and never had a single file taken down.

Again, I've heard very little to no complaints about this.

Regardless, this is the wrong thread for this discussion.

I’m old enough to remember the excitement and anticipation surrounding the initial release of Jonathan Mostow’s Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines. I literally could not wait to get down to my local cinema to watch the first available screening… ahhh, those were the days.

For many, it’s Cameron’s T2:Judgment Day which represents the absolute zenith of the series, but for me that’s far from the case. Whilst I certainly enjoyed T2, I still prefer the original Terminator. The darker tone, the grittier film stock, Arnie as one of cinema’s most impressively destructive villains; what more could one want? To me, Cameron hasn’t made a truly brilliant movie since Aliens. As his budgets have increased, so has his ability to keep the emotional framework of the story and characters intact deserted him.

Mostow’s third chapter is often thought of as the worst of the series, even taking into account McG’s Terminator Salvation. Not so for me though. I loved it from the first time I saw it, even with the “talk to the hand”, comedy sunglasses and Kristina Locke increasing her breast size to sweet talk a traffic cop moments. Unlike the majority, these blatant comedy relief scenes never bothered me much at the time. One could say I even embraced them. Besides, I liked the whole pay off which the movie eventually bestows upon the viewer, that there was no way to stop judgment day; it was just the T850’s job to get John Connor and Kathryn Brewster to safety.

Oh and then there’s that chase sequence as the TX pursues Connor and Brewster in a huge crane-truck. I remember this came out around the same time as the Matrix Reloaded and its much hyped car chase sequence on the freeway. Whereas the latter left me cold and unmoved with its CGI trickery, the sheer physicality and “doing it for real” style of Mostow’s sequence left me enthralled and with a huge smile on my face. It remains one of my favourite action sequences in cinema.

Anyway, the idea therefore that a fanedit could improve the film that much was somewhat negligible for me. Yet, after reading how positive the reviews were for Uncanny Antman’s The Coming Storm I knew I had to see it.

I actually made sure that I stayed away from the cutlist on the fanedit page, as I wanted to try and discover what was different on my own. From the opening moment which kicks things off during Connor’s nightmare, thereby removing the voiceover I got an early indication just why this edit is so highly thought of. Then I realised the supervirus is missing, cheesy lines such as “I like this car” are gone, the whole Kate and Scott go shopping scene never happens, and the ladies night scene removes the somewhat ill-fitting camp comedy moments such as the T-850 actually talking to the male stripper’s hand. All very sensible and logical cuts which only serve to enhance the story rather than detract from it.

Some of the changes are very slight and admittedly a lot of them I only realised once I had actually read the cutlist after watching the edit. But the impressive thing is that technically this has to be one of the most sublime fanedits I have ever seen.

Visually it’s more or less the same as watching the official DVD and the audio editing here has to be one of the very best examples of what can be achieved in fan editing. Audio editing is very close to my own heart and I know that it’s the process which usually will take up the most time for any faneditor. Uncanny Antman’s work here is simply perfection….not even a sniff of an even slightly dodgy edit for me here.

So video would get 9/10, audio 10/10

As I touched upon the editing decisions here in relation to improving the story and overall effectiveness of the film are very sound. As much as I liked Mostow’s original cut, the excising of the more cheesy lines and removal of some of the less important subplots of the movie (the whole Brewster and Connor in Mike Kripke’s basement is not missed at all for me) really does lend the film extra weight in all the right places. It now feels more in tone with the original Terminator and that can only be a good thing.

Even the truncating of the TX vs T-850 battle at the end works in the film’s favour, with some of the TX’s growls and screams editing our lending the scene more realism. As for the slightly changed ending, I loved it. With no voice-over the whole scene seems to be even darker and has more emotional impact for me.

So for entertaining and editing choices, this easily gets 10/10.

Considering how much I liked the original cut of T3, I was amazed at just how much Uncanny Antman’s edit has improved the film. I can honestly say that it is now second only to Cameron’s original for me (yeah, I know… I can hear all those cries of “better than T2, you’re mad!!!”). I seriously believe that anyone interested in fanediting should watch this edit, as it really doesn’t get much better than this.

Overall, a thoroughly deserved 10/10.

Wow. Thanks for such a kind and well-written review LS. I appreciate it. And you're a man after my own heart...I like T2, but The Terminator is where the real magic is. :)

Back
Top Bottom