• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Man of Steel: A Symbol of Hope (TM2YC FanFix)

That's fair. I guess there's really no way around it while keeping the intent of the scene.

First half of the edited-down version the Zod showdown...

(Password: fanedit.org)

- Lightly trimmed down Shannon chewing the scenery
- Over a minute of fighting in the street removed, featuring Superman and Zod competing to see how much of Metropolis they can destroy, while terrified people stare on in terror, or flee away from the carnage. Now they are just having a rumble in the rubble
- Much rescoring and soundFX replacement was needed. Thank heavens for freesound.org

Anybody have strong feelings on the "You're a monster Zod!" line. I can't decide if it "sounds like" Superman or not?

I'm liking the edited fight so far.
Also, in regards to Supe's reaction after Zod's death, I personally prefer the cry of agony.

SkywalkerFan01 said:
I'm liking the edited fight so far.
Also, in regards to Supe's reaction after Zod's death, I personally prefer the cry of agony.

I'd like to add that I feel the same way. The silence feels underwhelming. The scream is really raw and well acted. It totally shows him just letting out all the pain and trauma in that one moment. I'd hate to see it cut but I definetly see where your coming from if you just want silence.

TM2YC said:
Anybody have strong feelings on the "You're a monster Zod!" line. I can't decide if it "sounds like" Superman or not?
I like it. It gives Superman a reasonable response instead of just silently fighting Zod. I would keep it.

Nerdman3000 said:
TM2YC said:

I like it. It gives Superman a reasonable response instead of just silently fighting Zod. I would keep it.

Yes, I think on balance it's better with it, than without. Instead of "You're a monster Zod... and I'm going to stop you", I'd have preferred a line like "These people are under my protection Zod... and I'll stop you if I must", or something similar. A line that had a hint of grim reluctance. Trimming it to just "... and I'm going to stop you" is doable but feels a bit awkward.

I'm about ready to render off a first test version of the whole edit and see how it plays (Currently it's approximately 10-minutes shorter than the original cut). Then make adjustments to the audio mixing, before moving onto the grade.

Here is another clip, one from the start of the edit. I thought it'd be a neat idea to add the same hero-theme once for Jor-El, before it later becomes his son's theme too.

A little tweak to the first end credits titlecard, to add a red Superman S/Hope symbol underneath the original plain "Man of Steel" text. I found the logo in a blu-ray making-of feature...

"You're a monster" is -in my opinion- a clear mirroring to the hope and love that lives within Kal-El. He's so pure, so good, full of love and compassion for the people around him, that took him in and protected him, and that he now protects in turn, that seeing someone that is the sheer opposite of himself is a genuine shock.

That's my justification for that line. It's not "un-Superman-like", on the contrary :)

Kal-El said:
It's not "un-Superman-like", on the contrary :)

A persuasive argument. Thanks.

I watched the whole edit through last night and I'm very pleased. I've a list of 20, or so areas where the audio mix needs some small improvements but no massive changes. It feels like the more positive tone I wished the movie had stuck with and the trims to the excessive violence and destruction keep the action scenes from dragging the film down like they did before.

33563127302_8d2c657757.jpg

I had a day off so decided to start work on the coverart. I've been reading Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely's 'All-Star Superman' so I wanted something in the spirit of that comic's cover (but with Cavill)...

51aj58tawbL._SX318_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It was inked by hand , scanned in and then I'm going to colour it digitally...

(^ Click to see hi-res version)

I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to use it on the cover as of yet but I made up this vintage colour style poster for now...

I'm quite pleased with the result and almost tempted to get it printed poster size for my wall ;) .

Actually there is something I change before you finish the edit, admittedly it's a minor nitpick but it's something I always notice whenever I watch the clip, and that is during the clip of Superman's first flight, between scene 1:52 where Superman flies and 1:54 where Superman flies over the field or whatever it is. Well in the movie there is a part right before Superman flies over the field where you see him soaring through the clouds, something which you removed. 

Basically what I'm trying to ask is, could you be possible to bring back just a bit more of Superman flying through the clouds? It just kind of feels like without it Superman goes from the Arctic to a warmer place way too fast. I feel that by it being added back in, it makes a nicer transition.

I put some images of the scenes in question:

The point in the video at 1:52:
Untit132123132led.png

The point in the video at 1:54:
546465d.png

The small point of the original movie that was cut which I feel show be brought back and placed after 1:52:
46464d.png

I get that this is a nitpick, but it's been bugging the hell out of me.

Nerdman3000 said:
Actually there is something I change before you finish the edit, admittedly it's a minor nitpick but it's something I always notice whenever I watch the clip, and that is during the clip of Superman's first flight, between scene 1:52 where Superman flies and 1:54 where Superman flies over the field or whatever it is. Well in the movie there is a part right before Superman flies over the field where you see him soaring through the clouds, something which you removed.

The shot you are talking about is in the sequence at the point where it was originally, but the beginning of the shot is trimmed slightly and it's flipped horizontally (for better continuity with my other cuts). Which is why it's feeling missing for you I think.

However, I was never all that happy with the shot where Cavill goes "Ha ha!". I wanted a joyous little moment in there but the way he delivers that line does have a tinge of "I am now drunk with power!" :D . But If I restore the beginning of the shot you mentioned, and bring use it to replace the "Ha ha!" bit, it'll work better for both of us. In fact, I've just tried it and it works much better...

Thanks for the tip!

The colors look fantastic! Your cuts will save me from having to edit this movie. Looking forward to another spectacular TM2YC edit! :)

TM2YC said:
Nerdman3000 said:

The shot you are talking about is in the sequence at the point where it was originally, but the beginning of the shot is trimmed slightly and it's flipped horizontally (for better continuity with my other cuts). Which is why it's feeling missing for you I think.

However, I was never all that happy with the shot where Cavill goes "Ha ha!". I wanted a joyous little moment in there but the way he delivers that line does have a tinge of "I am now drunk with power!" :D . But If I restore the beginning of the shot you mentioned, and bring use it to replace the "Ha ha!" bit, it'll work better for both of us. In fact, I've just tried it and it works much better...

Thanks for the tip!

To be honest, I while I slightly agree with getting rid of the Ha Ha (I liked it was there because I felt like it was a natural reaction to flying for the first time but I agree he delivers it somewhat poorly.) 

What I would however keep is how he starts smiling as he's flying. In the clip above, you see him smiling, but it cuts off as he starts to and moves to him flying to the clouds. I would probably extended that a bit, or at the very least start the close up of his face with him smiling and end said close up with him still smiling, so we see him having fun flying around before we move on to him flying in the clouds.

TM2YC said:

I'm quite pleased with the result and almost tempted to get it printed poster size for my wall ;) .

I must say... that's some very impressive work. I know I would want that in my home theater.

Another stage in the artwork done :) . Adding highlights and shadows and detail. The sun/clouds backdrop is just a temp one I did but it turned out kinda nice.

(^ Click image to see hi-res version)

Holy shit. That is almost identical to my cover of Grant Morrison's "All-Star Superman" novel.

Awesome job :D

EDIT: Cover for reference

latest

Looks a bit like that post-Reborn Superman cover coming in April also

Back
Top Bottom