• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Man of Steel: A Symbol of Hope (TM2YC FanFix)

TM2YC said:
Nerdman3000 said:
I actually think you should bring back Doctor Emil Hamilton saying the word terraforming (which technically it is)

It isn't: "terraforming" is making a planet like Earth ("terra" = Earth in Latin), which is one form of "Planetary engineering".

...but...

Nerdman3000 said:
it actually makes the scene feel a bit awkward. If it had been like that in the theater, I can actually see some people being confused and taking the whole about turning Earth into Krypton a bit too literal without the word terraforming. So yes I do think you need the word back at the very least.

...I take your point. Anybody else think it's confusing cut this way?

Is it possible then to maybe replace the word he says, terraforming, with xenoforming? Like mute the part of the word that says terra and somehow try to fit a piece of audio that sounds like the actor saying the word xeno at the beginning, so it comes out as xenoforming? Maybe someone could do a mini five second impression on a microphone of him saying the word?

Nerdman3000 said:
Is it possible then to maybe replace the word he says, terraforming, with xenoforming? Like mute the part of the word that says terra and somehow try to fit a piece of audio that sounds like the actor saying the word xeno at the beginning, so it comes out as xenoforming? Maybe someone could do a mini five second impression on a microphone of him saying the word?

I think that would make things more confusing, not less. Almost nobody has heard of the term "xenoforming" (me included) and certainly not the character General Swanwick. Also editing dialogue like that is extremely difficult to make sound convincing (See earlier in the thread where I tried and failed to make Lois say "Superman" ;) ).

If you let me speak, IMHO your edit of the scene without the term "terraforming" works perfectly fine.  It's completely understandable. I don't find it confusing.

I'm not all that keen on MoS so haven't seen it since I watched it in the cinema. With that in mind, I just watched the scene with "terraforming" removed, and it plays fine to my eyes and ears. I also really like what you did with the hero theme - it's a great piece of music and I thought it was criminally underused in the film itself.

Based on what you've said you're aiming for with this edit, I may end up having to buy MoS so I can watch it :)

That One Guy said:
like what you did with the hero theme - it's a great piece of music and I thought it was criminally underused in the film itself.

Indeed and on that note, here is what I think will be the final use of said theme in the edit (credits excepting). Superman saving Lois from the phantom-drive implosion (First 30 seconds and last 20 seconds are unedited. Included for context)...

(Password: fanedit.org)

- Hero theme edited and footage lightly trimmed to time with three key points. Superman blasting off, Superman landing and the "He saved us" line
- SoundFX replaced and remixed

Now I "Just" need to heavily edit the Zod fight to minimise the amount of people Superman murders ;) .

With the lip sync thing, do you really need that scene at all? Couldn't you just go straight to Pa Kent showing him the ship he landed in? 

I only ask because the scene in question is built around the "maybe" comment. It seems like cutting the "maybe" line out sort of makes the rest of the scene irrelevant anyway.

I think the scene still has a point without the "maybe" comment. It's just communicated more subtextually and less bluntly. Instead of a cold "maybe", Pa Kent is unable to answer the question because it's kind of unanswerable: he fears for his son and the repercussions of making his powers known but he also knows Clark isn't wrong for saving lives (well at least in this version he does). I wouldn't get rid of it entirely. I also think the scene without "terraforming" is fine fwiw.

Does it feel it more Superman to...

A: Let out a primal-scream of agony after being forced to kill the last member of his race, like in the original cut (end of this youtube clip)...

...or...

B: Suffer in somber silence like in this edit of the scene...

(Password: fanedit.org)

?

I've also edited Lois' entrance, so she arrives after the Zod battle is over (which feels more natural to me, if still fairly implausible ;) ) and a couple of other trims. Audio mix is rough but serviceable at the moment.

^ much better, more contemplative.

Hey I just wanted to comment on the Lois save and then kiss.  Even when I saw it opening nignt, the audience groaned at Lois' line about it being all downhill after the first kiss.  Who the hell even says that?  Any thoughts on scrapping that line and cutting right to Zod?

I would go for the silent scream, definitely more effective.

musiced921 said:
Hey I just wanted to comment on the Lois save and then kiss.  Even when I saw it opening nignt, the audience groaned at Lois' line about it being all downhill after the first kiss.  Who the hell even says that?  Any thoughts on scrapping that line and cutting right to Zod?

Nah, I like that line. MOS could do with more of that type of humour IMO.

I like silent. When he looks at Lois there he looks like Superman.

I like both. However, if I had to choose, the anguished cry wins out. It's like all the horror and damage and death of the last few hours just bursts out of him.

I loved the removal of the scream. The silence to me is just adds so much more dimension to the moment. In the theatrical cut, Superman screams and Lois runs over to comfort him. She doesn't know what he's thinking in this version, but you can tell by his face and by the whole situation that he is struggling with so many different feelings at once. Her coming over to hold him and comfort him in this version shows me a lot more feelings on her part towards him, rather than just sympathy. He doesn't feel like a shouting warrior, he feels like a normal person that had to make a hard decision and is mulling over its consequences.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, especially the @"SpectacularSMan" argument. I think I'll go with "no scream". I hadn't noticed before, until I removed the scream, that there is the trace of a tear on Superman's left cheek in the shot where he turns to Lois. It could've been lit better IMO.

Editing the Zod fight finale to make Superman appear less destructive is gonna be easier than I thought. Since it starts in a wide area of devastated city anyway, I simply need to edit out portions that clearly take place in a wider populated city. If it mostly takes place in a wreck, no harm in more wreckage.

I like the silent version better. I still find the whole scenario rather silly though. Why don't the people just run out of the way by walking around the rubble? Superman doesn't seem to be trying too hard to keep Zod's head in place either, he's barely cradling his chin. I think the whole thing could benefit from being cut quicker: make it more of a split-second decision on Superman's part.

octoroxx said:
I like the silent version better. I still find the whole scenario rather silly though. Why don't the people just run out of the way by walking around the rubble? Superman doesn't seem to be trying too hard to keep Zod's head in place either, he's barely cradling his chin. I think the whole thing could benefit from being cut quicker: make it more of a split-second decision on Superman's part.

I agree it's not a great setup but the scene is less about saving that random family and more about saving Zod. So having Superman killing him very quick, like it was not a hard thing to do, would make the scene pretty meaningless IMO.

TM2YC said:
So having Superman killing him very quick, like it was not a hard thing to do, would make the scene pretty meaningless IMO.

To add to that, having the silent version without the anguished scream while not showing the struggle Superman was just having would make it seem like he's just worn out and tired from the events that occurred rather than taking in what happened and contemplating the life he has just taken.

Back
Top Bottom