• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Man of Steel: A Symbol of Hope (TM2YC FanFix)

I'd be interesting in hearing.  I have my main video at the top and then below that: FL, FR, C, SL, SR, and LFE.  Above the video goes any secondary video (either subs or Pic-in-pic) and below the LFE goes secondary audio (another C or SL/SR track).

TVs Frink said:
I'd be interesting in hearing.  I have my main video at the top and then below that: FL, FR, C, SL, SR, and LFE.  Above the video goes any secondary video (either subs or Pic-in-pic) and below the LFE goes secondary audio (another C or SL/SR track).

If you insist :D . The tracks are as follows...

32409287544_536a1ff1a8_b.jpg

- The top two audio-tracks are for mixing the added score but also for additional soundFX when needed
- The middle six tracks (3x pairs of linked video+audio) are for shifting round video clips with linked synchronized audio. The audio tracks are also for additional soundFX when needed
- The bottom audio track was added when 5x audio tracks wasn't enough.

My current method of work (The one I've used on my last few edits) is to have my main uncompressed source video with linked stereo mix, which is probably 90% of what I edit sitting on the 3 linked tracks. I also have a second copy of the movie (with heavily compressed video) with linked center-channel and a third copy linked with the other surround channels. These sit on invisible/silent tracks below the ones you see, until I need to bring them up onto the main tracks and edit them. That way I can find to the exact frame where I want a piece of audio to go by matching the linked video. When I'm happy with the audio, I'll typically deleted the linked piece of video. I don't do 5.1 edits but I find this the simplest way to make stereo ones, with all the surround channels there if I need them.

Hopefully that make some kind of sense (outside of my own brain).

DSM2337 said:
did the dog escape? Everyone cares about the dog :)

Looking at it again, I realised since Jonathan only dies because he's trying to save the dog, it did matter a lot that the dog survived. Thanks for the tip. In this new version the dog makes it out...

(password: fanedit.org)

- Remixed soundFX generally to improve things
- Added back shot of Clark holding his mother back. I like the way this gives another layer to why Clark hesitates
- Added back shot of dog escaping
- Inserted POV shot of tornado at 00.56, so we can see the void of obliteration that Clark is screaming into

bionicbob said:
Cut list sounds very good.  Love the idea of the music piano cue after Superman saves Lois.

Here is that music addition...

- First 30 seconds unchanged. I've uploaded it for context
- Added piano portion of hero theme, just as Cavill is giving that reassuring/benevolent Superman look to Lois. Maybe it's too loud in the mix?
- Halved Lois' agonised screams. Zack Snyder sure does love women in pain in his movies :dodgy: . I'd remove it completely if it wouldn't make the scene end abruptly and awkwardly without it. I bet Lois says to all her friends "The moment I fell in love with Clark was when he horrifically burned me".

TM2YC said:
DSM2337 said:
did the dog escape? Everyone cares about the dog :)

Looking at it again, I realised since Jonathan only dies because he's trying to save the dog, it did matter a lot that the dog survived. Thanks for the tip. In this new version the dog makes it out...

- Remixed soundFX generally to improve things
- Added back shot of Clark holding his mother back. I like the way this gives another layer to why Clark hesitates
- Added back shot of dog escaping
- Inserted POV shot of tornado at 00.56, so we can see the void of obliteration that Clark is screaming into

bionicbob said:
Cut list sounds very good.  Love the idea of the music piano cue after Superman saves Lois.

Here is that music addition...

- First 30 seconds unchanged. I've uploaded it for context
- Added piano portion of hero theme, just as Cavill is giving that reassuring/benevolent Superman look to Lois. Maybe it's too loud in the mix?
- Halved Lois' agonised screams. Zack Snyder sure does love women in pain in his movies :dodgy: . I'd remove it completely if it wouldn't make the scene end abruptly and awkwardly without it. I bet Lois says to all her friends "The moment I fell in love with Clark was when he horrifically burned me".

I quite love that addition of the piano music. And I appreciate the subtle improvement made by shortening her scream. Very good work so far. This edit looks really amazing.

TM2YC said:
- Replaced audio and music during Jor-El stealing the Codex. I wanted the hero theme to play first for the father, then we will hear it later for the son

"The son becomes the father, and the father becomes the son," eh?

As to your question on how to reduce the damage Superman causes in the Metropolis fight, cutting Superman and Zod flying into the mil is easily removable," you can trim out Superman flying into a building as the military first fires on him and the Kryptonians (he's faster than a speeding bulet, they are not), and you could try and just not show Superman punching one flunky into the train yard, just that he's being punched away. ;)

Hey TM2YC, as suggestion of mine about your edit of the Tornado, why don't you zoom in a little bit that shot at 00:48? If you look closely, you can see Jonathan's foot on the window. Scroll it to the right and then it will be perfect. That's what I did, at least.  The rest is just perfection.

d96.jpg

Btw, thanks again for letting me base on your take on this scene.  I will credit your in my thread, don't worry xD

This all looks really good so far. By the way, do you have plans to regrade the film in your edit?

samspider3 said:
suggestion of mine about your edit of the Tornado, why don't you zoom in a little bit that shot at 00:48? If you look closely, you can see Jonathan's foot on the window.

I'm not seeing it, could you post a screenshot? You also see Jonathan in another shot but it's a glimpse so quick you'd only see it on freeze-frame.

Nerdman3000 said:
do you have plans to regrade the film in your edit?

Some scenes will be regraded at least. Some scenes don't look too bad. We'll see.

I'm currently working on Superman's rescue of Lois from the escape pod (and surrounding scenes). It's proving to be a bit of a nightmare as I'll be rescoring most of it and replacing much of the soundFX too.

I'm really enjoying these clips. This edit sounds right up my alley, since I agree that these movie doesn't need a reinvention as much as a recalibration.

That said, have you thought about moving the flashback with Clark and the bullies way up, to the scene in the bar, right after the guy throws his drink at him? I saw one edit that does this (sorry, I don't remember which one) and I found that it really worked well. We see Jonathan teaching his a lesson about not using his powers for revenge or retaliation, and then see him put that teaching into practice in the current timeline (assuming the truck bit is cut out). I think it helps the narrative flow (getting most of the flashbacks out of the way early so they don't slow down the pace later) and helps recast Clark and Jonathan's relationship in a more positive light.

Lastly, do you plan to do anything about the "What should I have done, just let them die?" "...Maybe" exchange?

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]I saw one edit that does this (sorry, I don't remember which one)[/font]

That was my fan edit, the Ultimate Kryptonian Cut :D

samspider3 said:
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]I saw one edit that does this (sorry, I don't remember which one)[/font]

That was my fan edit, the Ultimate Kryptonian Cut :D

Thanks for chiming in! I wanted to give credit for the idea but I legitimately couldn't remember.

octoroxx said:
have you thought about moving the flashback with Clark and the bullies way up, to the scene in the bar, right after the guy throws his drink at him?

I hadn't thought about that and it's a clever idea but I also like the scene where it is in the church. It feels natural for Clark to be thinking back to advice his father gave him, while he is doing some soul searching. Also it has power sitting right before Clark finally decides to reveal himself to the government.

This is the scene we are talking about...

octoroxx said:
Lastly, do you plan to do anything about the "What should I have done, just let them die?" "...Maybe" exchange?

I wanted to cut it but I couldn't think of any way to smoothly remove it, given that it all takes place in the middle of one unbroken take of Costner. I open to ideas though.

If anybody is not sure what we are talking about, it's 30 seconds into this clip...

^Is it for content or awkward approach?

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]I wanted to cut it but I couldn't think of any way to smoothly remove it, given that it all takes place in the middle of one unbroken take of Costner. I open to ideas though[/font] 

When I was working on the Ultimate Kryptonian Cut, someone suggested me to make sound his "maybe" as low as possible, so it looks like he is whispering because he knows the response to Clark's question is not precisely right. It's more like an inner thought spoken in low voice. That's what i'm doing for my edit.  Perhaps you could try something similar.

Removing the sound of the "Maybe" word is easy (I just tried) but removing sight of it is much harder. You could mask over Costner's lips but due to it being a shaky hand-held shot it would be next to impossible for me.

However, I've just come up with this little 'cheat' to remove the "Maybe" line...

(Password: fanedit.org)

I think it just about works?

The synch is off on Clark's closeup, "Just let him die?"

However, clever solution. It totally works.

addiesin said:
The synch is off on Clark's closeup, "Just let him die?"

Technically there is no sync, as Clark is really saying "?em ot siht od dog did"  :D but I'll try a few different timings and see if I can find one that feels closer.

One thing nobody here has mentioned about the tornado suicide scene: Why would Pa Kent, a man who has lived his whole life in the tornado capital of the world, tell others to go under an overpass during a tornado? It's actually a very dangerous thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom