• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Man of Steel: A Symbol of Hope (TM2YC FanFix)

Zamros said:
That is almost identical to my cover of Grant Morrison's "All-Star Superman" novel.

I wish :D . Frank Quietly's stuff is stunning, although I preferred his bolder hand-coloured style back in the early 90s working on the Judge Dredd comics. e.g.

6f22713b68219dddc5f14154adfb60da.jpg

Zarius said:
Looks a bit like that post-Reborn Superman cover coming in April also

Oh Really, nice? Got a link to an image?

I'm slowly working through my list of changes/improvements to the edit...

- The final battle with the Kryptonians has been rescored, so now the hero theme comes in on the closeup of the "Hope" logo on the Phantom-drive pod. I like that the heroic sacrifice of Hardy and Dr. Hamilton gets the theme too.
- Put a worried reaction shot of Lois in just after Zod punches Superman across the waste ground. So she feels more connected to it.
- Added BvS style credit titles over Clark's journey to earth, including an "Earth, the present day" one...

(Password: fanedit.org)

I'd also possibly like to open with a titlecard in the same style introducing Krypton. Such as...

'Krypton. A relatively short time ago in a galaxy, far, far away" ;)

'Krypton, before the fall'

'Krypton, a planet far from our own. A child is born'

'Krypton, a time of strife'

That sorta thing. Short, to the point and maybe a little poetic. Suggestions would be welcome.

I love the new titles.  The _Man of Steel_ title logo over the pod CGI sequence also makes the shot itself slightly less noticeable but, now, useful, so great.  

As for the Krypton card… I would go with something along the lines of: “Krypton, the planet’s last breaths”.

Canon Editor said:
I would go with something along the lines of: “Krypton, the planet’s last breaths”.

Good idea but I think something like "Krypton, a planet's last breath" has a slightly better ring to it (Can't say why).

Another idea I was considering...

33662122241_228f7d7374_z.jpg

I like the one in the screenshot. A planet in a distant galaxy. Tells you what you need to know, you learn the rest with the story.

dangermouse said:
Krypton - Hope is born.

That has a poetic ring to it but I want it to be more about "we are here, this is there" without actually saying anything too specific about where Krypton is. That a baby is being born is immediately obvious in that first scene, the location where the child is being born is not (for several minutes).

If that makes sense.

I saw a "leaked" shot from Justice League of Cavill as...

...evil Superman, or reborn Superman, or whatever the hell it is...

587cfd790d7a0b109f9dc42b4b557763.jpg

...and made this for fun...

Titles look great! Any chance of adding a mid-credits or post-credits sequence? I've always felt that the scene of the Kryptonite being found in the Indian Ocean in BvS would work better as a postscript to this film than part of that one.

Then, yes, "a planet in a distant galaxy" works well, then maybe fade in underneath it "30 years ago"?

octoroxx said:
I've always felt that the scene of the Kryptonite being found in the Indian Ocean in BvS would work better as a postscript to this film than part of that one.

It would certainly work very well like that, good idea. Although part of my impetus for making this edit, was finally deciding that everything post-MOS did not really happen :D . Watching mean, vindictive, depressed Superman in BvS, will hopefully be even more jarring when preceded by this "upbeat" cut of MOS. I'll give your idea some serious thought though, thanks.

dangermouse said:
maybe fade in underneath it "30 years ago"?

"30 years ago" is getting too specific, any number will be I think. How old is Clark at the point we find him on the trawler? How long did his journey to earth take? Did he age on the way like in the first Reeve movie? These are all questions that are best left unanswered IMO.

Had a go at inserting the Daily Planet establishing shot from the commercial...

Even if I got the grade better than I have now, it's still not fully HD and not sure it works generally.

I like the concept of the establishment shot, for me gives a more classic Superman feeling. As for the execution, I think it could still work. Maybe a little film grain could help match it up with surrounding footage.

ironman23 said:
I like the concept of the establishment shot, for me gives a more classic Superman feeling. As for the execution, I think it could still work. Maybe a little film grain could help match it up with surrounding footage.

I did add a little grain to that first clip but I've searched around and found a slightly better quality clip on Vimeo, added some genuine 4K grain, more synthetic grain and totally reworked the grade. This is much improved I think...

I've again been reworking the scene of Superman taking his first flight. Mostly remixing the audio but a few light trims too.

Nerdman3000 said:
What I would however keep is how he starts smiling as he's flying. In the clip above, you see him smiling, but it cuts off as he starts to and moves to him flying to the clouds. I would probably extended that a bit, or at the very least start the close up of his face with him smiling and end said close up with him still smiling, so we see him having fun flying around before we move on to him flying in the clouds.

I'm leaving that smile part as is, after that point the smile starts to get a bit crazed looking. Anyway he gives a big smile towards the end of the flight and looks happy in the other shots. I've recut the cloud flying to be simpler though, with less cuts.

Wait wait wait, ... YOU made that Cavill poster art? As in drew it yourself?  :exclamation:

As for title suggestions:
  • Krypton - planet in peril
  • Krypton's final moments
  • The doomed planet of Krypton
  • Krypton - harbinger of doom
  • Krypton - herald of hope

Kal-El said:
Wait wait wait, ... YOU made that Cavill poster art? As in drew it yourself?  :exclamation:

Yeah but not from scratch (I'm not very good at that). It's based off a couple of Cavill photos I combined but mostly this one...

henry-superman-pic-tra3.jpg

The tensed aggressive upper body pose and angry face looked too much like "evil" Superman for my taste.

Kal-El said:
As for title suggestions:
  • Krypton - planet in peril
  • Krypton's final moments
  • The doomed planet of Krypton
  • Krypton - harbinger of doom
  • Krypton - herald of hope

I like the two that mention the word "planet" because it adds something descriptive. I'd prefer the word "Krypton" e.g. "Krypton, a doomed planet" instead.

Remixed the audio during the "first flight" sequence. Lowered the music volume a lot during Jor-El's speech. Aslo lowered volume of Jor-El's dialogue and beefed up bass and reverb on his vocals. Added low bass rumbles whenever Superman is getting close to camera. Added a few other soundfx. Recut some of the footage to be smoother with less quick edits. This is probably a final version I'm happy with...

Very nice, well done.  As Superman takes flight there may be a slightly audible fade in, but I would have to watch the clip from my computer to understand well.  I will later.

That is a lovely sequence, and so much more effective than the version I remember in the theatrical release.

I also noticed a slight transition when Superman takes flight, but will re-check with headphones on my PC later to confirm.

Edit: Listened again a couple of times and I think it's fine - I suspect that what I noticed earlier was the sound effect of Superman's take-off masking the transition somewhat on my phone's speaker. With the mix presented on proper speakers or headphones it sounds fine.

Back
Top Bottom