• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Man of Steel: A Symbol of Hope (TM2YC FanFix)

I'm not really sure what this "slightly audible fade in" or "slight transition" is that you are referring to, so some more detail would be great.

I don't think I've uploaded a clip of this particular bit of rescoring yet. I wanted the quiet piano part of the hero theme to play over the moment where Superman and Lois hold hands, just after he surrenders to mankind. So I had to replace virtually all the audio (dialogue aside) to do it...

(Password: fanedit.org)

The last 30 seconds are unchanged but I've included it for context. The music fitted perfectly to the images and out of the way of the dialogue, with no edits to the video needed to get the timing right. Luck.

Today, I've finished all the little tweaks/fixes I wanted to do after the first test viewing and a few extra changes along on the way. One thing was to subtly "enhance" the tear on Superman's cheek after he kills Zod, as I felt it was not shot very well and is easy to miss. A little highlight to bottom of the lid and more shadow and highlight on either side of the tear going down the cheek...

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/206143

Nothing crazy, just enough to draw the viewers eye to it better.

TM2YC said:
Thanks for the replies people... although I was kinda hoping somebody would tell me it was not right and the reasons why :D.

I've slightly remixed it anyway in this new longer clip...

- Moved establishing shot of world-engine and Rescored transition into Jor-El
- Added more soundFX
- Remixed score and soundFX after Jor-El's death
- With world engine shot gone, we get to Superman's fight quicker

Still catching up on this thread, but loving your work TM. This clip is amazing, really captures the moment so much better through lifting the score. And I still cannot believe how Henry somehow morphed into Chris Reeve briefly at 2:07 and 2:10. Incredible stuff.

EDIT: Ok, have finished the thread now, very impressive work, love what you are doing here. Two minor thoughts: I think you should keep looking for a better solution than the dub over Clark's mouth when talking to his dad. Stands out badly among all your amazing work. And I liked your opening credits, but the smash cut to the ocean felt a bit jarring. Was there a flash of red in the frame before transition? Perhaps you could re-work that a little to smooth it over. 

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

njvc said:
I think you should keep looking for a better solution than the dub over Clark's mouth when talking to his dad.

I kinda like it now. Cutting to a closeup at that point feels natural and so does the look on little Clark's face. The lips don't quite match but it's better than the alternative of keeping the original line.

njvc said:
the smash cut to the ocean felt a bit jarring. Was there a flash of red in the frame before transition? Perhaps you could re-work that a little to smooth it over. 

That is the same cut as in the original movie.

Getting stuck into the grade now. It doesn't need too much doing to it for most scenes IMO. Snyder knows how to get a great looking shot if nothing else (he just needs to stop tinting things afterwards).

Taking out a little green overall, making the highlights more blue, upping the white-balance and boosting the saturation, seems to cure most ills, with just some tweaks needed to individual shots (Original top / Fanedit bottom)...

(^ Click to see higher res version)

A more colourful and saturated image is what I'm going for. Almost as if this were a comicbook movie :D .

Those regrades look spectacular  :) tbh, yours has a similar feel to the dark knight rises, properly saturated with a contrasted palette.

ironman23 said:
Those regrades look spectacular  :) tbh, yours has a similar feel to the dark knight rises, properly saturated with a contrasted palette.

Thanks for the feedback. Some shots like that don't need much doing them. Others like Superman being handcuffed, are way off where they needed to be but there are colours to found in there...

(^ click image for higher res)

I'm not far off having the grade complete on the Krypton prologue but I'm having a go at other scenes too when I get bored of that.

There we go, much better here since we actually have some flesh tone in our characters, also good work on keeping supes costume blue and red.

TM2YC said:
Remixed the audio during the "first flight" sequence. Lowered the music volume a lot during Jor-El's speech. Aslo lowered volume of Jor-El's dialogue and beefed up bass and reverb on his vocals. Added low bass rumbles whenever Superman is getting close to camera. Added a few other soundfx. Recut some of the footage to be smoother with less quick edits. This is probably a final version I'm happy with...

Just a note here: I'm not sure if it's down to the volume or the bass and reverb, but I'm finding Jor-El's voiceover a bit difficult to hear in the mix.

@"TM2YC" would you be willing to do a video screen cap of you doing some regrading with a nice narrative. I'd love to see a master in action and better understand your process.

Problem Eliminator said:
I'm not sure if it's down to the volume or the bass and reverb, but I'm finding Jor-El's voiceover a bit difficult to hear in the mix.

Anybody else?

DigModiFicaTion said:
would you be willing to do a video screen cap of you doing some regrading with a nice narrative.

I'd have to bother to find out how you do that... so no ;) .

DigModiFicaTion said:
a master in action

Hardly, more like somebody "barely competent in action". I get better with every project, through practice. That's the only way, load some filters up in your timeline and start moving sliders about until you learn what they do and which filters are going to be best for certain problems.

I pleased with how this turned out as it was one of the more heavily green tinted scenes (even the fire was a little green)...

I know, for some reason green is Zack's favorite color, next to neutral grey that is.

TM2YC said:
I pleased with how this turned out as it was one of the more heavily green tinted scenes (even the fire was a little green)...

It looks better than the green, but it kind of has a very blue cast to it now instead of a very green one. Have you tried making it more color neutral? The lighting should be colored by the flames a bit. Quick mockup:

supesrecolor_zpse4b4neuo.jpg~original

I wanted the very blue cast. I wanted hyper-real, not real. "Modern" looking, but more vibrant, more varied and not dull-green in every shot.

I have heavily "lit" (more orange colouring) the face of the first guy closest to the flames after Supes rips the door off, the shot you've posted is before the door has been taken down, so the orange tinge should be almost nil IMO. Also, it's not clear from the bit I uploaded but they are quite far from the door.

I get it. Personally, I'm not about either grade shown here (the recoloring on the shot of Russell you posted is great though).  But, if this fits your aesthetic, go for it!!

Problem Eliminator said:
Just a note here: I'm not sure if it's down to the volume or the bass and reverb, but I'm finding Jor-El's voiceover a bit difficult to hear in the mix.

I think I've "eliminated" that particular problem in the latest remix. Way too much reverb in there as you said. As I'm approaching the halfway point with the grading, the flying scene is now (probably) finished...

(password: fanedit.org)

- Remixed Jor-El speech again as per Problem Eliminator feedback.
- Recut a couple of places compare to earlier versions
- Regraded every shot separately to max out saturation with deep blues and strong reds (It's Superman) while still keeping skin tones in check. I'm going for a vibrant "hyper real" comic feel, not necessarily reality, if that makes any sense.
- In a couple of places I've tinted things, such as when the blue light is shining out from the suit-pod and no blue light is present on the original grade in the later shots.
- Ignore the Lois bit at the end as I haven't quite finished that bit.

Back
Top Bottom