• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Lost Redux

elbarto1 said:
[spoiler:1kp8zt43]why was Desmond even on the plane? and if Boon was there, where was his annoying blonde sister? (I know Boon said "she didnt want to leave", but she should have been there, yes?)[/spoiler:1kp8zt43]
[spoiler:1kp8zt43]From what I've seen, there are many things about this alternative timeline that are quite different than the original one:
- Hurley now considers himself incredibly lucky, where before he considered himself cursed
- Shannon did not get on the plane with Boon
- Desmond is (or was) on the plane with the others
- Christian's coffin never got on the plane and has been losted
- Same thing with Locke's knife collection
- Charlie tried to kill himself
- The Island is now sunk at the bottom of the ocean[/spoiler:1kp8zt43]

Unless it all ties in somehow, this season is gonna suck due to it being seen as a cheap gimmick or diversion from what we are really interested in.

I suppose proving Doc Brown's theory correct and have the earth explode would be okie.

jeez... reading through those theories almost made my head explode.

it definitely gets too nerdy when the physicist guy tries to get the wording right and recommends to use ´universes´ instead of ´dimensions´.

:???:

i´m still recovering from that season opener.

if i would be strong enough I would wait and not watch a single episode until all of them are out and then watch them in a row but i guess i could also start a sentence with ´by the time i win the nobel prize...´

not gonna happen!

btw: the only aspect of lost i really have a (small) problem with is the cheesy computer effects. The smoke monster never looked good, the exploding freighter didn´t look realistic, the submarine going down looked ridiculous and this underwater scene at the beginning of LAX reminded me of a (well made) intro sequence to some video game. It´s really good though that the rest of that show is so strong that you don´t mind the bad effects in the end...

well this whole alternate "universes" angle is really gonna mess with my chronological edit :-(

Strangely, this was both just what I expected and not what I expected. At the same time. [spoiler:2a3f388l]Or alternate universe reactions, if you will. (Har-har.)[/spoiler:2a3f388l]

[spoiler:2a3f388l]-I like that there are other-OTHER-others there now. The Asian man felt too much like a super-villain, but he has potential. Also, Jacob sending secret Ankhs through Hurley - why couldn't he just have given it himself? did he expect to die? - is kinda cool. I don't even know why
-Will Sayid become ageless now? Was it the Spring that happened to Richard? But then again, Ben was saved by the temple (or maybe just Jacob, who also revived Locke once as we saw in the last season finale) and Ben has aged.
-I'm more and more beginning to think that the Leader of the Others (first Charles, then Ben, then Locke) is posited to be a leadership position where they're led to believe they're in charge, but it's really more like an mid-level poisition in a company, where they never get to meet the real leader, the board or the trustees.
-I'm still sad about Juliet. I wish Kate would have done some noble sacrifice instead. Juliet was a much cooler and more complex leading lady. Also, she was a mechanic for three years. (Though I guess she can only fix VW hippievans.)[/spoiler:2a3f388l]

On the whole, the episode felt a bit wrong. But also strangely right. There are some questions I think we'll be the driving force, the obvious one being the disjointed narrative. But also:

[spoiler:2a3f388l]-Why (and how) did Juliet know that it worked when no one knows anything else?
-Why did several other parts of the story change, like Shannon not being on board? Is it the butterfly effect? (i.e. the explosion means the island sunk, meaning some Dharma guy never got there, instead fathering Shannon's dream guy (living in Australia)?)
-Why does Charlie think he's supposed to die? Did Desmond tell him on the plane (which he wasn't supposed to be on anyway)?[/spoiler:2a3f388l]

theslime said:
[spoiler:2qodtfhz]-Will Sayid become ageless now? Was it the Spring that happened to Richard? But then again, Ben was saved by the temple (or maybe just Jacob, who also revived Locke once as we saw in the last season finale) and Ben has aged.[/spoiler:2qodtfhz]
I actually think that...

[spoiler:2qodtfhz]Jacob now will be in Sayid's body. Nemesis in Locke's body (or actually taking his appearance) and Jacob in Sayid's.[/spoiler:2qodtfhz]

Interesting theory. I'm not sure I buy it, but I wouldn't oppose that development.

[spoiler:35li8z8w]I like Sayid a lot, and it would be nice to see where that could take him. The nihilist Sayid of season 4 and 5 was great ("The Economist" was a great episode, definitely in my top 10), but that story went as far as it would go in the last season. Really, it began to feel played out even before he shot young Ben.

Did anyone else laugh at faux-Locke's line "I'm sorry you had to see me like that"?

PS: I'm a supporter of simply calling the Nemesis Esau to keep it as biblical as possible.[/spoiler:35li8z8w]

PS: [spoiler:96go1ccl]The only problem for me with Esau using Locke's body is that Titus Welliver was really creepy in the last season finale. I would be fine with more Mark Pellegrino/Titus Welliver interplay. Their scene together was gold. "It only ends once. Everything before that is just progress." is such a wonderful line.[/spoiler:96go1ccl]

PPS: Any specific reason they ran a double episode? Even with the same director and writers, they felt like two episodes and could easily have been split up. I mean, there's a long slow-motion, end of the show-scored montage in the middle there, so it's not like the fifth season finale (or the pilot), which was obviously one long episode. Apart from expectations - and impatience! - I didn't really see the point, although I'm of course greedy and want to see as much as possible, as soon as possible. (I'm willing to bet it will be two episodes on DVD, title be damned.)

There's an awesome look on the 720p download, btw. I'll get this on bluray, that's fer damn sure. Lost is one of the shows that REALLY benefit from the HD treatment (I already have seasons 1 and 2, and they look stunning.)

theslime said:
PS: [spoiler:3ta14tzl]The only problem for me with Esau using Locke's body is that Titus Welliver was really creepy in the last season finale. I would be fine with more Mark Pellegrino/Titus Welliver interplay. Their scene together was gold. "It only ends once. Everything before that is just progress." is such a wonderful line.[/spoiler:3ta14tzl]
[spoiler:3ta14tzl]I don't mind it, it keeps the Locke figure in the main timeline (even if it's technically a different personality using the body) and it gives a chance for Terry O'Quinn to act as a different type of character in the story: watching Black Locke talk about how pathetic and sad the real John Locke was and the man's last thoughts was fascinating to watch and the scene at the end of episode 2 between him and Richard was awesome (especially with Richard becoming terrified as he realizes who it is and Black Locke just drops his smile, glaring at Richard like the devil).[/spoiler:3ta14tzl]

theslime said:
PPS: Any specific reason they ran a double episode?
Every new season premiere of Lost usually runs 2 hours.

No, they don't. The fifth season was the first to do a double episode, and that was (even more than this time) just two different episodes with different focus stuck together. Even the pilot was split up - which is the opposite of how most shows work - Fringe is one of many examples of the two-hour pilot, one-hour season premiere formula. Anyway, it doesn't really matter. I still think they were two different episodes (as they will no doubt be on home video). [spoiler:1necxzl8]The first with the main thing being the aftermath, and the second with the Temple.

I agree with the other point. Terry O'Quinn has had a couple of tough assignments on Lost, but this season has already upped the ante for him. The eyes![/spoiler:1necxzl8]

EDIT:
[spoiler:1necxzl8]Totally agreed on the faux-Locke and Richard scene being a standout. Carbonell really nailed that scene*. Existential - or even metaphysical - fear manifesting itself before your very eyes is very tough to play in a convincing manner. Also, I'm kinda interested in what faux-Locke meant by "I'm VERY disappointed in all of you." Why is he so disappointed? Because they followed Jacob? That's the obvious answer, I guess, but it sounded like there's more there.

And I'm still on the fence about what the alternate reality really is. It might not be an alternate reality after all. It might be real, and a consequence of something we haven't seen yet. Then again, was there much left of the Barracks/New Otherton after Keamy's team? I don't think so, which would mean that it sank/manifested itself under water long before 2004 (the corals and generally overgrown nature would seem to indicate the same). We're meant to believe that it's a result of the 1977 explosion, but I'm not really sure about that. If it was, I'd think it'd been handled differently. Also, that would mean that the island action (in 2007) is actually the alternate reality. And I don't buy that for one second.

Also, some people on the Lostpedia forums went through the whole underwater sequence frame by frame, and found that the shark we speed by has a big Dharma logo on it. I love that. I know there's been some theory about Dharma guard sharks before, it would be nice to see one in action.

*I'm really happy that Carbonell is part of the main cast now, btw. It softens the blow of losing Juliet for me.[/spoiler:1necxzl8]

[spoiler:362ddzjg]About the alternative reallity thing... This is pure speculation and I'm probably wrong, but umm... I think the two worlds would merge into one. I think during this season the characters would start having flashes from their alternative lifes and by the end of it they would completely merge with them. It is a pretty crazy theory, but crazy stuff allways happens on "Lost".[/spoiler:362ddzjg]

That may indeed be the case.

[spoiler:m6ku1c76]I'm rewatching parts of the third season now, and Desmond's flashbacks and déjà vus - especially in the "Flashes before Your Eyes" episode, incidentally also the first appearance of Eloise Hawking - might provide a template for this. Did he have his 1990s flashes (like when he met Charlie on the streets of London and told them they'd met on the island (which would be years later)) before the hatch exploded, or did the exploding hatch retcon his memories of those events, or even retcon his life full-stop into a nightmare of future flashes*? And since he got to the island anyway, destined for the button (as Eloise explained), does it even matter if he experienced these events the first time? WAS there even a first time? "The Constant" in season 4 takes this even further, and into even more paradoxical territory. And then there's the confusing instant of Daniel Faraday saying the rules don't apply to Desmond.

I think paying close attention to Desmond's appearances might pay off. Even if he won't appear more than a couple of times, I still think those appearances - and those in the past - provide the best framework for understanding what the original castaways are going through.

I wonder if some of the more arcane stuff from the Dharma Initiative will play a part in the sixth season. I'm specifically thinking about Dharma HQ in Ann Arbor, the Valenzetti Equation, Alvar Hanso and the De Groots. I think they're more important than they're made out to be. When Ben said they were doing silly experiments, we believed him. But I think they knew more than Ben in some ways, and Dr. Chang might have had more input in Island history in the long run.

This will be damn exciting!

*There's something noble about Desmond's suffering. When he knows someone will die, it really reminds of Peter Boyle's suffering in the classic X-Files episode "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose".[/spoiler:m6ku1c76]

EDITED for clarity, elaboration and for removing errors.

Thoughts on tonight's episode:
[spoiler:25c4nsgx]- God, how I hate Kate-centered episodes, mainly because I've grown to really hate the character since Season 3. Granted, the "alternative universe" version of the character was semi-interesting (mainly because she was on the run and had Claire to interact with), but "main universe" version of the character still blows.
(at least she finally got it through her stupid head that Sawyer really loved Juliet and not her)

- Hurley's "zombie" question to Sayid was funny as hell, as was Miles "Food Court" joke

- Dogen (the Japanese man who's the "Leader") is now my favorite new character.

- Jack's back to his normal self, it seems... which pisses me off a bit, cause I've grown to hate that aspect of his character over the last 4 seasons (at least I got to watch Dogen beat the crap out of him for a bit)

- No Black Locke in episode = boo...

- Still not entirely sure when the Smoke Monster (aka Man in Black) could've infected or "marked" Sayid.
(anybody recall an episode in recent seasons where the two met?)

- So Claire has become the new Rousseau??? When exactly did Claire get marked by Smokie (when the Feighter Mercs attacked the Darma baracks)? However, this does answer the question as to what Rousseau meant when she said that her group had become infected with a "sickness" from the Monster (although it's looking like she might have been infected as well and didn't realize it)

Looks like next week, Black Locke is going to meet up with and try to "tempt" Sawyer somehow, so I'm greatly anticipating the fourth episode.[/spoiler:25c4nsgx]

[spoiler:1mcfbhp6]I imagine that Sayid is infected the same way that Rousseau's people were. As for Claire, perhaps we'll get a flashback in the next few weeks as to what happened. Smokey obviously was messing with her back in Season 4 posing as Christian, so possibly that is when she was infected.

All just conjecture, but this week's episode was pretty solid IMO. I don't hate Kate at all, and its always nice to see that side of her. The scene with her, Claire, and Aaron makes me think more and more that this "alternate" timeline is the result of some event at the end of the show, and that after Jacob's and Smokey's game is done, they'll return to their projected lives (or a reasonable facsimile.)[/spoiler:1mcfbhp6]

[spoiler:3oz5ebkr]This was a decent episode. The main problem for me is that I'm not all that interested in Kate or Claire anymore. They've both run their course. The Claire reveal at the end wasn't really surprising at all, apart from the fact that it muddies the waters of the Danielle character in ways I don't particularly like, like suggesting she was infected. Which I firmly believe she wasn't, considering she killed her friends to avoid it and stayed in a small shack rigged with explosives (which, surprisingly, seem to work on Smokey; I think this is significant for my argument that Danielle was not infected). If they're trying to say she was infected, then I think that's pretty bad retconning of events, unless they come up with a really good explanation as to why. Another reason the Claire reveal didn't surprise me is that it was pretty much revealed to us in season 5 that Esau used Christian Shepherd's body. The larger ramifications is of course that Locke was tricked by him at least twice in previous seasons, and - and this is something we probably shouldn't pay much heed to - helped Jack find Adam and Eve and the caves in season 1.

I agree that Sayid's infection must be the same as Rousseau's team. I think a contender for the moment of infection is the actual spring. The water wasn't clear, as it seems Lennon and Dogen was used to, and Dogen had probably revived people with the spring before, and yet this time he genuinely believed that Sayid was dead. It makes no sense to me that Esau would want Ben dead through Sayid, since that would undermine his proven abilities to plan ahead. I.e. since his was a long con, I wouldn't expect him to try to kill a man he later uses for an important purpose. IMO Sayid acted on his own back then, suggesting that the infection is recent.

Before the season started, I was convinced that Jacob was the bad guy, and that Esau/the nemesis was actually the good guy. It seems to me that Jacob's goodness is inscrutable at best. He not only stood by watching Nadia's death, but he actively participated. He seems to bring people to the island at all costs, killing is no obstacle. His attitude towards Ben is indefensible, even if Ben's a son of a bitch.

Even after it's been established that Esau and Smokey is the same guy, it's obviously not as Jacob-good, Esau-bad clear-cut as some people like to think. Jacob sure as hell isn't a very NICE deity. Richard (through Jacob) didn't object to the Dharma purge, for one thing, and Jacob's cavalier attitude towards letting innocent people die has been well documented. It'll be interesting where this is headed.

PS: The bully with the other-others wore red pants! That made me laugh. It must be a Star Trek/redshirts reference, no?

PPS: ETHAN RETURNS!! He was - hands down - the best part of the episode. Man, that guy is creepy. I watched "One of Us" (ep. 3x16) this week, the one where Ethan and Richard take Juliet to the island. Great stuff. Ethan = Best villain ever.

PPPS: Jack annoys me too, but he's needed the way he is. He needs to doubt the faint smell of mumbo-jumbo. Remember how he doubted weirdness about the island even AFTER seeing the smoke monster? This is like that, and it's needed so the show doesn't spin completely out of orbit.[/spoiler:3oz5ebkr]

[spoiler:2m65tl9b]Ethan was the best thing about this episode i agree

somehow lost has stalled for me... it is just too familiar, or maybe it is just season 3 beginning all over again
somehow everything that happens is no longer surprising or mystical - remember all those strange stuff in season 1 and 2? or the tension in 4 and i genuinely liked season 5, but with this temple they are again in others/dharmatown. This just isn't lost, they sit around in a temple led by the guy from Speed Racer and that's it. If kate wants to go to dharmaville, yeah why not - it's not as if this island is dangerous, unexplored or wide, it's just yeah we've been there, nothing is really mysterious anymore... damn i so hope that the season starts to get some lost-power back, because right now it's like they don't bother dealing with anything other than introducing new characters who act "mysterious" without anything happening that moves the story forward.

but what i really really dislike about this season is that it seems as if the lost writers just decided to create "lampposts" to garner plotholes around them and "explain" them by said lamppost: like smokey=christian=every strange stuff that was interesting or curious.... now it's just "yeah... smokey" and everything that happens on the island that is not smokey is written to the jacob-lamppost. and if there is an incident we haven't explained, it's probably jacob trying to beat smokey or vice versa. or the new others. it seems like the writers strayed to far off with juliett and ben and dharmaville from what the others originally were intended as... so they just create "other parties" to explain the evil-child-enslavers from season 2 without contradicting ben and the other others.... wah.... that's exactly why i wanted to start watching lost after the complete series has aired so i can ask the fans if it was worth watching...[/spoiler:2m65tl9b]

[spoiler:2bcpz16u]I'm not bored yet. And I'm not surprised there's more explanation now. It's getting very near the end. It's only natural that the island is getting familiar to Kate and Sawyer. Yes, that also means that it will feel less like Lost. But that's happened gradually since the third season, and mostly it's been well worth it. The fourth season was much better than the first season anyway. Win some, lose some. (In this case, filler.)

However, I agree one hundred percent that the possession plot point is getting a bit too literal. I have the same problem with Bob on Twin Peaks. Bob is - like Esau/Smokey - a great villain, but threatens to reduce interesting emotional conundrums to not very enlightening allegories. Watching real people be evil is more interesting than watching a representation of one person's evil be evil. Bob and the Black Lodge is the most overrated aspect of Twin Peaks, just like Jacob probably is the most overrated aspect of Lost.

I'm giving Lost the benefit of the doubt, though.[/spoiler:2bcpz16u]

[spoiler:26v8rypd]I also get the feeling that Jacob and "smokey" were written in to explain away all the questions the audience had that the writers werent prepared to answer.

I get the feeling they had all these great "wouldnt it be cool if..." ideas back in season 1 & 2 but never fully took them from A to B. I just dont believe Jacob and Smokey were planned from the beginning, rather they an easy way to get the writers out of a corner.

That said, I am enjoying the season, but expected alot more satisfying answers than what we have been given thus far.[/spoiler:26v8rypd]

Back
Top Bottom