• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Lost Redux

Going to watch the leaked video asap!!!

It was okay.
But something occurred to me awhile ago.

Lost is what the world would be like if the Communists won the cold war.

Jacob was a dictator and the smoke monster and dharma and the losties and even the Others were all bad westerners/ugly americans/etc who must be destroyed.
Jacob turned his back on his real, murdered mother, and chose to side with his mother's murderer!

Jacob and the crazy mother (murderer!) were fighting against knowledge and freedom.

MiB was fighting against unjust persecution and rightly sought to destroy his captors and the prison itself.
Plus, he chose to side with his REAL mother.

Sure, he was a too extreme and not selective in who he harmed, but MiB was a better person than Jacob.

What was

[spoiler:10dviv0t]the job Hurley had in mind for Walt? Did this mean that Walt could be the new protector of the island? Or just to give his father his redemption so he can move on? And still no explanation what his special powers are.[/spoiler:10dviv0t]

[spoiler:3qohyl2x]I think it's part of the better way proposed by Ben: Walt might help the ones that can't move on, not just his father. Walt's powers always seemed kinda unpredictable, and I think the reason we don't know what they are isn't lazy writing, but the fact that he himself doesn't know or hasn't found out yet. It's one of those minor mysteries that will never be resolved, and that's ok with me.[/spoiler:3qohyl2x]

I've just watched it. It is entirely more satisfying than the ending we got before. The other ending was alright, but for me entirely unsatisfactory. I'm interested in this guy doing Lost Revised and I hope he uses this ending...much more Lost like.

Just thought I'd relay a nice theory from the Lostpedia forum. The man in black's adoptive mother stresses that he is "special" (at least once and with real EMPHASIS so we're not going to miss it). First I thought this meant that he could speak to ghosts, like Hurley. However, a poster on the LP forum suggests it goes deeper.

The last boy on the show about whom the word "special" was used in such a context was Walt - his episode was even called "Special". Now assuming the epilogue to be canon, Walt has a future on the Island and thus an important place in its mythology, and this is thus not that big of a stretch: the Man in Black's appearances off island are not actually appearances but apparitions akin to Walt's appearance to Shannon - to paraphrase Beatrice Klugh: being in places they're not supposed to be. Meaning: this can explain at least the Michael/freighter scene, but also the Jack/hospital/smoke alarm scene (if so inclined). Note that he doesn't actually DO anything in either of these scenes. He appears, he might speak, he is menacing - but he doesn't do anything. Also just like Walt.

Makes sense to me. And it's not even a messy bugfix since it ties Walt nicely to overall Island mythology. It also keeps within the already established framework for specialness on the show, i.e. no last-minute mythology change. That said, I'm still on the fence about it. A part of me still believes in two Christians, one undead and one Smokey, but I gotta give props to the theory anyway.

I hated it that it was the man in black who appeared as Christian. I wanted Christian to be some separate "deity".

T-HOPE said:
I hated it that it was the man in black who appeared as Christian. I wanted Christian to be some separate "deity".

yep.... christian was way too cool to be just a drunk doctor and later on a smoke monster imitation

You are of course now assuming that Smokey told Jack the whole truth. There are things suggesting that he didn't - the most obvious three things being (1) FLocke's hesitation when he tells Jack that he was impersonating his father all along (could be taken to mean that it's only partially true, or even downright false; O'Quinn is so good that I don't believe that wasn't on purpose), (2) that the REST of what FLocke says (about helping them) is obvious manipulation and blatantly untrue, or at least extremely selective in what he considers help, and (3) that Christian appeared to John Locke before 1867 and yet knew who he was. If this was Smoke-Christian, this would be the first time he met Locke, since I'm 99 percent sure that Smokey didn't timeflash with the other Timeflashers. And Eloise hadn't been born. Ghost-Christian, on the other hand, is an undead, timeless apparition. Smoke-Christian is a disguise of the Smoke Monster's existing in a space-time continuum (or time continuum, at least - LOL!).

The wildcard with this other theory is of course that the Wheel was in the same dislodged state Ben left it some 140 years (or more) later. Either meaning that the Wheel is in a non-flash zone, or that it stays in one timeline. Come to think of it, that's basically the same thing.

Still, if we are to believe that all apparitions of Christian were Smokey, which I don't necessarily do, the Lostpedia forum theory connecting Smokey to Walt is the most plausible I've seen yet.

Why didn't the writers just explain this stuff instead of bothering us half of the season's screentime with this boring flashsideways timeline/afterlife shit?

Today I spend some time on trying to figure out whose eyes it was that Hurley saw in the cabin while peaking on Christian. It looks a lot like Locke's, but snice an other actor played that eye, it wasn't him. Who was he supposed to be?

The whole sixth season was an ongoing "well flocke might be lying" thing. Whenever we got an explanation and realized that it didn't make sense it meant "well he might not be telling the truth", but most of the exposition comes from smokey, most of the stuff he says about the candidates etc. is true, so i just assume the writers screwed up christian...

also i don't understand: the way it is "hinted" (if that isn't a big exaggeration given the tiny clues we have) that the others are on the island to protect it from the monster/protect the source from being dug up
now dogen knows very well how the monster works etc. but ben, the guy we know since season 2 has no clue, apparently only characters who were forced into season 6 have a clue what they are doing. So the others have to protect the source from humans and the monster, but ben doesn't really know what the monster is
If your sole reason to be on the island is to protect it from the monster why doesn't ben realize that he gets manipulated?
and if Richard alpert is in contact with jacob why isn't he realizing that smokey is using the cabin to manipulate ben?
shouldn't richard from time to time talk to jacob and say: so... about the cabin, you still chilling there?
Jacob: No, why?
Richard: well cause ben is going there and seems to get instructions from you
Jacob: (talking shotgun) is that right... excuse me for a moment

He does lie all the time, though. Even if some exposition comes from him.

I don't believe the others are there to protect the source. They are there for Jacob to prove the MiB wrong. However, I believe they do know on some level that Jacob allows people to be brought to the Island, and that's why they won't allow people to leave. That's why it would make Ben look weak as a leader. Richard has told Ben that Jacob brought people there. Because any and all of the newly arrived people could be the real candidate.

My theory about the Cabin (kinda explains the discrepancies, I think). It used to be Richard's and Jacob's meeting place. (Ilana knew it to be Jacob's home, that's why she went there.) That's why it had a ring of ash around it, so that Richard's and Jacob's activities/meetings are kept from the MiB, not to keep Jacob safe. (He didn't need to be kept safe.) Later, Jacob abandoned it. Who broke the ash circle isn't really important. It could have been anyone. Ben knew where the cabin was because Ben Linus knows things. Maybe he followed Richard, what do I care. However, the look of Richard's face is telling. He's very surprised Ben and John were going to see Jacob, but he probably thought the circle was still intact. This is some of the last we see of Richard for a long time. Ben and John are duped, twice, by the MiB. I don't think Jacob even knows. The thing is, even if Richard told him, I don't think it would have mattered. I believe the season 5 finale made it pretty obvious he was tired of the job and wanted to move on. Jacob is all about choice, because he is bored and wants people to live out their lives without his interference.

Now if that seems like weak character motivation, keep in mind that this is a guy who for thousands of years brought people to the Island letting them be killed by his dead brother - without even interfering. He probably thinks he is too hands-on just having Richard as a representative.

Btw, I believe the cabin moves because you have to know/feel where it is, or be in the right frame of mind, to find it. Same with the Lighthouse and The Heart of the Island. MiB is a smart guy who knew the Island well, and yet he couldn't find the Heart even though he looked for ages.

The eye could still be Locke. On Twin Peaks, creator/head writer Mark Frost himself played the person who shot Dale Cooper, but needless to say they found another shooter for the actual plot. Or it could be someone else. This is the episode where Hurley starts to see ghosts for real, so it could just be a random ghost. I can live with it.

EDIT: Oh, and I believe Horace had nothing to do with building the cabin. It was just an old cabin. Or it was built by Jacob, doesn't matter. My theory: MiB impersonated Horace because he knew John was extremely curious about all things DHARMA. He also had to guide John to the cabin again so that he could impersonate Jacob inside. For that reason, after putting the map/sketch in Horace's pocket, he let John know that Horace built the cabin.

Dogen was give a specific task by Jacob, guarding the Temple. Meaning that he is more of a chosen one than Ben, who probably only came to power because he got Widmore out of the picture, who again probably came to power because Ellie left the Island. The leaders of the Others were always imperfect, and they never knew Jacob.

theslime said:
He does lie all the time, though. Even if some exposition comes from him.

I don't believe the others are there to protect the source. They are there for Jacob to prove the MiB wrong. However, I believe they do know on some level that Jacob allows people to be brought to the Island, and that's why they won't allow people to leave. That's why it would make Ben look weak as a leader. Richard has told Ben that Jacob brought people there. Because any and all of the newly arrived people could be the real candidate.
OR....

The others thought they were taken orders from Jacob while instead it was the men in black. He lived in Jacob's cabin for some time (although the ash circling the cabin should have kept him in while they he appeared before that).

Perhaps one could use this footage to explain how the smoke monster was created:

[youtube:3bv6iybv]

LOL

The others thought they were taken orders from Jacob while instead it was the men in black. He lived in Jacob's cabin for some time (although the ash circling the cabin should have kept him in while they he appeared before that).
Ben couldn't have pulled that forever, or Richard would have put a stop to it. When Ben came back, Richard probably thought Ben had killed John without ever reaching the Cabin.

theslime said:
The eye could still be Locke. On Twin Peaks, creator/head writer Mark Frost himself played the person who shot Dale Cooper, but needless to say they found another shooter for the actual plot. Or it could be someone else. This is the episode where Hurley starts to see ghosts for real, so it could just be a random ghost. I can live with it.

According to Jorge Garcia on his Geronimo Jack's Beard podcast, Simon Elbling was the actor whose eye was seen in Jacob's cabin [4]
from http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Beg ... of_the_End

some other stuff about the cabin: http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_cabin

My point was that it doesn't matter who played the eye. It could still be Locke if that makes sense to you. That's why I mentioned the similar instance from Twin Peaks, where the at the time unidentified shooter was played by creator/writer/director Mark Frost, and not the character who was later identified to be the shooter.

I've read the cabin article before. This is a nice source too (a helpful Lostpedia forum thread).

Holy hell! Spoilers for everything Lost - this will turn everthing upside down!

Back
Top Bottom