• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

James Mangold's "THE WOLVERINE" - A Silver Screen Samurai Restoration

Nice. Is it possible to know which ones you are referring to?
I added back the expanded version of the scene in the car (when Yukio and Logan first arrive in Tokyo), since it better establishes Yashida as a philanthropic/charitable person as well as his surrogate father relationship to Yukio.

I also added back the expanded version of the first medical scene (where we meet the older Yashida), since it again re-enforces his kindness. Neither of these were deleted per say, so much as they were trimmed in the theatrical cut to make him more evil (not really consistent with Mangold's vision, so I doubt he would have cut them if he didn't have the third act).

I'm also experimenting with adding back Shingen's deleted conversation with Yashida, since it potentially better fleshes him out as a villain. This one's the most on the fence, since the benefit of cutting most of these scenes is it frames the story solely from Logan's POV; and he's not in that scene, so it might break that really perfect structure. Will have to see if the film is better with or without it.

Great additions, if you ask me. I agree with you, I'm not sure he would have cut them. Also, in preparation for this edit I dug out some old interviews JM gave to the press (Forbes specifically) in occasion of the release of the extended cut of The Wolverine, and found that, contrarily to the one he did for IGN (which I recall reading years ago too) he never actually explicitly states he would have cut any of the added moments, rather that he actually loved most of the additions from the extended version.

Here's the link if you want to see more into these comments...!
https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhu...hed-version-of-the-wolverine/?sh=5991de935b32

FYI: The actual interview begins around halfway through the article. Enjoy!

PROGRESS UPDATE (3/3/22):
Guys, I got slightly bad news. After troubleshooting several potential solutions, it's clear that I simply will not be able to do a 7.1 Mix for this edit. The chief source of that problem is that a Mac's sound-card doesn't have that codec (DTS-HD) installed, and therefore can't process that type of audio properly. In short, trying to change most Mac's sound-card is like trying to sail to Antarctica in a row-boat... in that neither one is gonna happen.

That's also why I haven't been posting in a while, wanted to see if there was a way to solve it first. it just comes down to the fact 7.1 Mixes are designed almost exclusively for high-end computers made solely for that purpose; available only to major editing studios. So it actually seems like MOST editors on this site subsequently have a problem with them, since they most likely have a computer that wasn't designed for 7.1 functionality.

So sadly, it looks like you'll only be getting this edit in a 5.1 Mix...
Sorry guys. I did the best I could /=

PROGRESS UPDATE (3/3/22):
Guys, I got slightly bad news. After troubleshooting several potential solutions, it's clear that I simply will not be able to do a 7.1 Mix for this edit. The chief source of that problem is that a Mac's sound-card doesn't have that codec (DTS-HD) installed, and therefore can't process that type of audio properly. In short, trying to change most Mac's sound-card is like trying to sail to Antarctica in a row-boat... in that neither one is gonna happen.

That's also why I haven't been posting in a while, wanted to see if there was a way to solve it first. it just comes down to the fact 7.1 Mixes are designed almost exclusively for high-end computers made solely for that purpose; available only to major editing studios. So it actually seems like MOST editors on this site subsequently have a problem with them, since they most likely have a computer that wasn't designed for 7.1 functionality.

So sadly, it looks like you'll only be getting this edit in a 5.1 Mix...
Sorry guys. I did the best I could /=
5.1 is MORE than good enough. I don't think any faneditors release in 7.1 anyway (and at least one of my favorite faneditors still downmixes to stereo).

PROGRESS UPDATE (3/11/22):
Special thanks to @DigModiFicaTion, per his recommendation I was able to successfully demux an HD .MOV from both cuts of the film with aviDemuxer. I'm going to be switching out the workprint with the new master files soon, as well as switching the stereo audio out with 5.1 surround.

Also updated Davinci Resolve today;
Backed up the project as an XML beforehand, so I didn't lose anything (wink wink, helpful tip for Resolve users). Had to relink some files though.

I'd go for the third one. Even though I'd personally like to see something that uses the image used for the soundtrack album cover in Europe.
This one...

latest

Iā€™d favour style B, I like C as well but I think the title gets lost a little in the darker background

PROGRESS UPDATE (3/19/22):
Thanks to everyone who gave feedback! Following the general consensus, of wanting the soundtrack cover turned into a poster, I decided to give it a whirl and see what I could come up with. And to be honest, now that I'm looking at the end result, I'm actually really glad I did. Initially I wasn't going to do it, as I had reservations about using that specific image... since it's already the image used by another fanedit (didn't want to be un-original). But I'm really glad I changed my mind, because making this one tapped into something truly creative. I decided to really lean into the old school comic-book style with this one; hence I changed the font, to look more like something you'd see on a classic Claremont cover.

What do you guys think? Is this something you'd like me to stick with?
If so, I could also expand this into the basis for the Blu-Ray cover

[minor compression on this end, click to see full resolution]

I actually like it. Thereā€™s still something that feels sort of off and un-official. Maybe itā€™s the three very different types of textures between the ā€œThe Wolverineā€ font and the japanese neon one.

I actually like it. Thereā€™s still something that feels sort of off and un-official. Maybe itā€™s the three very different types of textures between the ā€œThe Wolverineā€ font and the japanese neon one.
Yeah, I've looked into this... it seems if the grey gothic font ("James Mangold/A Silver Screen Samurai Restoration") is given a neon glow, it helps fix the problem. Might be the solution I end up going with, if this poster turns out to be the one.

Style A works the best to my eye. The neon glow vs the dark text with the red border works as it acts as a progression towards the shadow silhouette of Logan.

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates lately. Had to take care of some life stuff this week, maybe some work stuff next week. Once that's all taken care of, you should be hearing a lot more about the current state of the edit (it's basically almost done).

Back
Top Bottom