• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

James Mangold's "THE WOLVERINE" - A Silver Screen Samurai Restoration

The "he's dead" overdub audio is just random, since as far as the audience knows, wolverine has woken up alone and is viewing a scene from afar.
See my above comment. Make no mistake, you're absolutely right, there's just not much coverage of her in that scene in the finished film.
Like, that line isn't actually overdubbed, that's how it is in the theatrical cut (and then we cut to her, but I probably can't use that shot because of the line).

but I probably can't use that shot because of the line).
If you need the visual you can sho some audio replacement. I need to do some reading to better understand the flow of the scenes. Is the drink part of the plot in this one? if not, I'd recommend desaturatikg the green steam from the cup so it doesn't distract visually. Thanks for sharing examples!

Is the drink part of the plot in this one? if not, I'd recommend desaturatikg the green steam from the cup so it doesn't distract visually. Thanks for sharing examples!
Thanks, @DigModiFicaTion! I'm keeping the green hue because he's still poisoned, it's just by a different person in this cut;
In fact, the green tint is actually how the (new) culprit is revealed, so it's vital that it stays.

(PROGRESS UPDATE 2/23/22):
Hey, everyone! Here's a revision of the nightmare sequence, based on audience/viewer feedback. I had to get really clever manipulating the closeup of Yukio, since there's no other coverage of her and we can't see her mouth (for continuity reasons). What do you guys think? Does it have more room to breath now?

Also, I'll be uploading some stills later today, explaining how to CORRECTLY re-grade footage (like I did here).

I think that the trippiness and samurai attack from 0:48 into Wolverine waking up works very well. Before that point I thought it seemed odd to have no audio with Jean (who I personally think should be absent), and the initial trippiness/scream at 0:43 was very jarring. The line at the end is better, though it does still feel a bit unnatural - it may be better if the last shot can be extended a little. Again though, is the line needed at all? Isn't what he's seeing and the subsequent funeral scene enough to communicate that he's dead? (I can't remember the film too well, but i'm assuming the funeral scene is related to what happens here)

I'm agree with Scrib on both points. The silent Jean sequence is uncanny but perhaps simply show her laying beside him very briefly before things get trippy. I really don't think the line is needed, the context of the footage explains what's happening well enough.

That works much better! I love the trippiness. I think you could make the absence of noise clearer by making the "white noises" louder and the transition from noise to silence a little bit more "deliberate", if you know what I mean. Personally, I'd also reduce the kissing shot from 0:47 to 0:48 since that's where I start actively noticing the woman isn't Jean rather than having it as a smaller, subliminal element. Essentially, after the second scream, I'd go to the trippy sequence sooner. From there on it is wonderful.
On the other hand, I think Yukio's sequence is almost there, but could work even better if she said the line off screen (around 1:13), before Wolverine turns around as if he noticed her, and then leaving the close up of her crying as the scene's last shot (and Yukio's only one) before cutting to the funeral. I think this would simplify the scene and also justify why we never actively see her speak.

I'd reduce the kissing shot from 0:47 to 0:48 since that's where I start actively noticing the woman isn't Jean rather than having it as a smaller, subliminal element.
You're right about this, @Canon Editor. I tried variations of taking the close-up out/shortening it, and the problem was that really hurt the pacing/clarity. Then that got me thinking... the only thing actively giving away that she's not Jean is the hair continuity between shots; since it's blonde in the close-up, but brownish red in the earlier two-shot. So after playing around with the color-grading, I got another idea... I'm going to rotoscope her hair.

Using the CGI editor in Davinci's Fusion Tool, I'm going to motion track her hair frame-by-frame to change its color (from light blonde to dark brown). Since it's only a few short shots I'll have to do it fo anyway, it shouldn't be too much trouble to execute. I made a test keyframe to get an idea of how it'll look when completed, which I've attached below, and based on that I'm fairly confident it should be seamless when finished.

(Don't worry, this is not a final pass, just a rough sketch):
vs.

Make no mistake though, it'll by a while before I do this. Akin to the professional workflow, I won't be doing any VFX until the final cut and sound mixing are both locked; so I'll definitely won't be getting around to this until the very end.

That could work nicely and is definitely a very good first test. I don't know if it would need some shortening anyways since we've already established the kissing and lingering on the shot for too long might be... dunno. Just my two cents.

(PROGRESS UPDATE 2/24/22):
Ripping an MKV and Handbreaking an MP4 workprint of the theatrical cut today; in order to put back scenes/shots that are ONLY in the theatrical cut, and NOT in the extended cut (see update from 2/21/22, about combining footage from both the theatrical and extended cut).

Also, sorry I didn't post the color-grading breakdown yesterday like I promised;
You'll for sure be getting that today (probably in the next hour or two, while the MKV is prepping).

PROFESSIONAL COLOR GRADING TUTORIAL
(Courtesy of a Professional Editor):

So the reason I'm posting this -- without trying to sound like a narcissist -- is that, unlike many people on this site, I am a professional editor. This means I have quite a bit more experience than most of the editors on this site, regarding particular technical elements of editing and post-production; I therefore could have a lot of valuable information to share, that could help the community improve their edits...

...the biggest area the community could improve upon is color-grading. Specifically, color-grading is a very specific process that can really only be done correctly one way, and therefore takes years to master. Consequently, in observing how most of these edits are made, it is fair to say majority of the community grades their footage INCORRECTLY. Now you may be saying "what's the big deal? So what if we don't do it the professional way? As long as it works, right?"

WRONG. Doing color-grading incorrectly, by taking an eyeball guess at it, can and will result in your print actually not playing correctly on some screens. Most TVs have a 2.2-2.4 Gamut (range of colors that are visible), the problem is most computers have a way bigger Gamut. So just eyeballing it on your computer screen won't work, because some of those colors aren't visible on a TV-Screen. This can result in various random black pixels or random white pixels on a TV-Screen if you do it wrong, which I'm sure nobody wants. That's why it's vital that you guys should know how to use RGB monitors, as well as the professional step-by-step process.

And hey, by the way, none of this is a shot or diss at the fanediting community! By all means, most people here are not professionals! You have to do something wrong to learn to do it right, so it's okay that some pretty great faneditors -- even the very best, quite frankly -- have made this critical mistake I'm about to point out. This isn't a "gotcha, idiot, ha ha!" It's just a little insight from a professional; a pointer in the right direction, to help pretty great editors do even better.

* * *​

So let's start off by explaining how a professional movie goes through color grading. Believe it or not, it actually starts on set. Movies are purposely shot with a really basic/bland, unstylized color-palette (even if the director knows what he wants the colors to look like); we call this White Balanced. This is so that we capture the full-range of colors present in a scene, in equal values, giving us a full-range of options when we're in post. If we filmed the footage with the colors already saturated to what we want, we'd be unable to change it later; because we wouldn't have the information from the other colors.

Why is it important to have all the available color information? Well, not all monitors actually display colors the same way. A dark shade of blue on a TV-Screen can actually look like a bright shade of blue on a Computer screen, and both probably look way brighter than it looks on a Projector! So that means, when they color correct movies, they actually make THREE DIFFERENT VERSIONS; each one tailor-made for a different kind of monitor (DCP for Projectors, MOV for TVs, and a unique MOV for Computers).

If you were to put each monitor side-by-side, each displaying their respective version, they'd theoretically look exactly the same... but if you, say, put a Computer MOV on a projector? IT WOULD LOOK TOTALLY DIFFERENT!! It would look nothing like the DCP, because Projectors don't show colors the same way computers do! So by having ALL of the available color information on set, we can actually make sure that we're able to adjust the color grading for each type of monitor. We ensure that by shooting a basic and unstylized color palette...

...this would also be a good word of caution to faneditors about using Digital Downloads, as opposed to Blu-Ray discs, for their masters; since the digital downloads don't have the same color-grading, and for sure will look way blown out on most TV-screens. If you use a digital download, you will NEED to re-grade the entire film to "legal" levels (I'll explain what those are shortly).

[This is what a properly white-balanced shot looks like; this is what came straight out of the camera]​

So once the film's final cut is locked, the print is handed off to the colorists. We first start by Correcting the footage; meaning we make sure each individual shot is properly white-balanced, since even cinematographers can make mistakes. We do this by using the RGB Monitor. Essentially, the brights of each colors should be equal and the darks of each color equal. We want a basic/bland canvas.

We also make sure NONE of the darks are going below the bottom line, and NONE of the brights are going above the top line. If they do this, they are in what's called Illegal-Levels. Some of you may have heard other terms for this, like colors "clipping" or being "over/under-exposed." The term I've used, however, is the most used one in the industry. Having a print with colors in the illegals will result in most TV-Stations and Theaters refusing to show your film, because they can actually be sued for showing a film that damages the viewer's retinas and/or breaks the bulbs on their TV-screens.

If you have footage in the illegals (usually only one or two shots ever do this), you can adjust the brights using the Gain and and adjust the darks using the Offset/Lift. Again, make sure where these levels fall is the same for all three colors. While you're here, you'll also want to adjust the Gamma for all three colors; essentially making sure that all the color information isn't just sitting at the bottom or the sitting at the top. It should be spread out across the whole screen. If you guys want my recommendation for softwares that let you adjust these settings, my vote if for Blackmagic's Davinci Resolve. It's completely free, as well as the most widely used tool for color-correction in the film industry; simply put, because it's the best one out there by far. So using it will allow you to make your footage look as professionally graded as possible.

(we repeat the above steps for every shot of every scene).
Only once we've done that do we start actually Grading the footage; meaning, we make the artistic decisions about what we want each scene to look like.

[This is what a theatrical grade looks like; this has been processed, corrected, and graded]​

So this is what a GRADED shot looks like. It's important to know how to mix the three primary colors to create other colors, so hopefully you payed attention in art class! You can see that this shot is intentionally given a very gold tint. They probably did this by turning down the blue, and bringing up the green to be just slightly less than the red. The byproduct of changing color levels like this is that it'll bring up the Gain for all of them; so it's a good idea to bring down the gain for all three colors, before you do something like this. That way they won't go up into the illegals when you shift them. Afterward, they probably adjusted the gamma so that it's sitting at the bottom, creating this very shadowy contrast between the brights and darks. Most importantly, despite no longer being equal NONE OF THE COLORS ARE IN THE ILLEGALS. This is what goes onto a final theatrical print, and is then sent to theaters.

(we also repeat this step for Blu-Rays Discs and Digital Downloads; you wouldn't show a print made for Projectors on a TV-Screen, would you?)

Right, so now you have a basic understanding of professional color-correction and color-grading for movies... what does any of this have to do with fanedits? Well, it's very common for fanedits to try and RE-GRADE footage, to have a different look from the original. This is an interesting idea, but the trouble is that most editors -- even the best -- do it completely wrong; so wrong, in fact, that they risk their prints looking spotty on most TVs.

Here's an example!
Some editors might want to re-grade a shot like this:
...seems simple enough. The problem is, most editors want to go from this...
...straight to this. EEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHH!!!!!! WRONG!

This is a great way to guarantee your footage will go into the illegals, and look beneath professional quality. The problem with doing it this way is that you're completely skipping the WHITE-BALANCE step in the process!! As I hope I've illustrated by now, that step is there for a reason! You can't just skip it; otherwise, you're footage will end up straight-up blown out! It'll be way too bright! Here's what happens if you try to skip this step:

[Clipping.. aka HOLY F$CK, WHAT IS THIS DEMONIC ABOMINATION!!??]
[These bastards... the work of the devil, and third-party discs from IMAGE]
You can see that it's now WAY too bright! This is because we have to work so much harder to get the image from golden to blue, because we don't have all the available colors to work from. So the only way to pull that off, without a white balanced shot to work from, is by raising the blue levels so high that the footage is clipping! You don't want clipping sound to create audio distortion in your edit... so why would you want clipping colors to create visual distortion?

Again, the reason this happens is because we don't have all the color date UNLESS WE HAVE A WHITE BALANCED SHOT. The gold shot doesn't have all the available color data, since it's already been graded... So FIRST we need to reverse-grade it; we need to turn it back into a basic white-balanced shot.

So a CORRECT version of this process would go...

...from this...
...back to this...
...THEN to this!​

By doing it that way, you're guaranteeing you have all the possible color data to work from! You wouldn't make an oil-painting with only one of the primary colors; you need all three! If you try to go straight to the blue one, by skipping the white-balanced middle-step, you probably won't be able to get the shot you want anyway! Not only that, but you'll probably end up making your footage Illegal, which can actually break your TV-Screen and seriously damage your retinas. The step is there for a reason, so it's seriously in your best interest NOT to skip it.

* * *​

I hope this information is helpful to future faneditors! Again, I don't want this to sound like a jab at the community. I just think it has room to improve its standard of color correction; since most editors on this site appear to be skipping the White-Balancing step, and trying to go straight from Point-A to Point-B. This community holds itself to a high standard, so hopefully this helps you get achieve even better results when grading your footage.

Happy editing! (=
(if any staff like @DigModiFicaTion or @Q2 want to link/save this post for future reference, in the technical help/tutorial threads, feel more than obliged 👍)

Last edited:
2/24/22 - UPDATE #2:
Created a little text-opener, akin to Criterion/Keno Restorations.
What do you guys think of it?

That's a whole lot of text to read on a video...🤷‍♂️

Also, are those pictures actually from the process of the explanation you posted about color correction/grading?

First of all, thanks for the tutorial. Always nice to learn something new! (I never really got in cc myself).
I love the intro. I did spot a typo in the “Memories of a Murder” title, which should be “Memories of Murder”... but yeah.

Also, are those pictures actually from the process of the explanation you posted about color correction/grading?
No offense intended, but it's a bit difficult to understand what you're asking based on this wording.

To answer it best I can, YES, they're from the ACTUAL process of color-correction/grading. The white-balanced picture is what the shot originally looked when it came straight out of the camera, with no editing or alterations applied. Digital purposely shoots "basic/bland" upfront so that colorists have enough color data to work with when correcting then grading a film. The grade from the theatrical cut is what it looks like AFTER it has been corrected and then graded. Thus, just as grading was applied to a shot it can be reversed BACK to its original white-balanced form.

By doing this step first, BEFORE trying to re-grade footage, it ensures that you can change the grade without causing the other colors to clip (the same way you wouldn't want sound to clip). By making sure the colors aren't clipping, it ensures the film will be able to be played on most monitors without serious visual distortion.

That's a whole lot of text to read on a video...🤷‍♂️
Because the majority of feedback on it is positive so far I'm probably going to keep it, but I think you might have a point in regard to the quote from Mangold; I think he mostly just restates information we already know from the first text block, so I'll probably either shorten his bit or potentially replace it with a quote from the audio commentary instead (ie voiceover with some clips, that kind of thing).

Thanks for the feedback 👍

To answer it best I can, YES, they're from the ACTUAL process of color-correction/grading.
I was just curious as the after image for both is the same image that was posted on imgur, but one was deemed the incorrect method to get to that result. That's where I was confused with your post. The rest and the method is understood and followed by more here than you may think.

I was just curious as the after image for both is the same image that was posted on imgur, but one was deemed the incorrect method to get to that result. That's where I was confused with your post. The rest and the method is understood and followed by more here than you may think.
Oh okay, gotcha; sorry, must have misread your wording.
Yeah, I can probably go back and replace that one with an image of what it looks like when you skip that step; since you're right, I DID just use the same picture.

Yeah, I recognize some of the really accomplished editors on this site (like @TM2YC and @spence especially) probably do this correctly based on their fanedits I've seen. It's just that few of them explicitly mention having first white-balanced the footage, and just show the before and after; so a lot of beginners probably look at that and think "I can go straight from A to B" and don't realize that they actually need to do the white-balancing part first. Just wanted to make it explicitly stated, to help those who are less experienced 👍

Yeah, I recognize some of the really accomplished editors on this site (like @TM2YC and @spence especially) probably do this correctly based on their fanedits I've seen.
I appreciate your kind words, but I want to set the record straight in that I just screw around with it until I think it looks okay.

Back
Top Bottom