• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

James Mangold's "THE WOLVERINE" - A Silver Screen Samurai Restoration

Any chance of sharing video examples? Lots of text, but I'm sure there are many who would like to see what you're vision is and examples of cuts.
Howdy!
Sorry for the lack of videos/photos, etc. I think part of that may be because I'm not an approved editor, so I can't submit images? I actually even have a finished poster as well, which I was going to post yesterday for feedback; again though, don't have permissions.

Once I test out if my solution to the encoding problem works though -- assuming it does -- yeah, I can maybe post some clips; might have to do them as links though. I could probably post a modified version of the Funeral fight and the Rough Cut V2 Train sequence, since those have the most apparent changes in a single scene.

yeah, I can maybe post some clips; might have to do them as links though.

Streaming links are ok, but downloads aren't allowed FYI

I think part of that may be because I'm not an approved editor, so I can't submit images?

I might be wrong, but you should still be able to share images via links as a regular user (just not upload directly). If not, it's possible there's a 30 day wait from when you registered.

Oh no, lol, I know about this rule!
I'm not gonna post download links to this, especially for clips, rest assured! I just meant potentially like YT or Vimeo links to some of the clips.
Vimeo is the way to go, btw. Youtube will take it down if it even gets a slight whiff of it being something they could potentially make money from.

Curious to check this out! I liked The Wolverine more than most, but I do find the third act to feel a bit weird.

Vimeo also won't recompress, providing you meet their specs. So you can actually get an accurate representation of your source clip.

Hello everyone!
My name is Silver Screen Samurai. Some of you may know me from my work-in-progress fanedit on "The Wolverine;" and yes, this thread is related to that
(to my knowledge, since this is an idea proposal, it doesn't violate the two-threads rule; if it does, however, the mods have my permission to archive one of the existing ones).

Some of you may be aware -- since I've mentioned it in multiple places on the site -- that I'm actually a professional editor in real life. This is part of why, despite initially announcing the "Wolverine" fanedit 4 years ago, progress has been slower than most work-in-progress edits; balancing my time between professional editing and editing existing films. In fact, that is the exact reason I've actually why I've reached a rather sad decision regarding my future in the fanediting community...

...before I go any further, I just wanna say totally unambiguously I LOVE YOU GUYS. This community is awesome. As I've also said in my main thread devoted to that edit, it was working on it 4 years ago where I learned most of what I know about the actual creative techniques involved in editing. I actually think it is a really practically decision for aspiring editors to edit exiting films, as experimenting with the impact of particular choices can really teach them about when to make one decision versus the other for intentional impact. So I owe a lot to this amazing community, and that has not changed.

But I'm now at a crossroads in my career; at a point where I can take the risky next step and fully commit, 24/7 to my career making original works. It is going to be more demanding and more time consuming than ever before... and as a result, I unfortunately won't have time to be involved in the fanediting community anymore. The amount of time devoted to editing existing films simply doesn't also allow me to devote as much time to the personally meaningful films I want to help make as an editor. It's not a matter of not loving the fanediting community, it's just a choice about what I want to spend the rest of my life doing. In order to fully commit to that future, I just won't have time for this anymore...

...and for that, I am truly deeply sorry...

...that being said, I would hate for this edit to be fully abandoned; especially since the reception to its concept has been generally positive, and some pretty big editors have expressed enthusiasm for it. So rather than scrapping that project altogether, I was wondering... would any editors on this site be interested in potentially inheriting the "James Mangold's 'The Wolverine'" project? I think since its intent was to restore the original vision, and is substantially different from any of the existing cuts, that it would be a great idea to pass this project onto another editor if they're interested. They would have my full blessing to take over the project, as long as they're committed not to take too many liberties with Mangold's vision (since the intent of the cut is to make the film more closely match his original story).

To whoever takes on this project:
WHAT WILL BE PROVIDED:
--A detailed cut/change-list, with timestamps (hh/mm/ss/ff)
--A detailed audio change-list, with timestamps (hh/mm/ss/ff)
--A mock-up art poster, as well as its original source images (PNG, 2700x3600)

WHAT YOU MUST PROVIDE:
--A high quality print of the film (The Unleashed Extended Edition)
--Your own editing software (Davinci Resolve was used for this, so it should correspond the most)
I'm also happy to answer any additional questions below.

Again, I don't want to make it look like I'm leaving the fanediting community entirely; I won't be able to devote the same time or energy to it anymore, but I'll poke my head in every once in a while. I'll still comment on new edits, and I'll absolutely commit to maintain an active presence until the handoff of the project to another editor has taken place. Believe me when I say that I make this decision with the utmost reluctance. I owe a huge debt to this massive and beautiful community, especially editors like @slekyr and @GelflingHand and @M4_ who helped me get started 4 years ago. You 3 in particular have no idea how positive an impact you had my life; doing something as simple as explaining things like transcoding and codecs to me may seem like an insiginficant gesture, but it made it seem like editing was something I could actually do and allowed me enter the field professionally with more confidence. There was no gatekeeping or closed doors, you were just happy to help. For that, I will be grateful for the rest of my life.

I feel sort of bad about this, since I did express that this edit was intended as a bit of a. going-away of present. That it why I'm absolutely determined to maintaining a presence on this site until an actual handoff has taken place, because I do intend to keep that promise and I do believe those interested deserve to see this cut.

If you STRONGLY feel this is a project you'd like to do, feel free to DM me.
I'll get back to you ASAP, and you will have my express gratitude for being willing to take it on.
If you'd like to know more about the project first, you can read my original thread about it here:

Are you looking for someone to completely do it the way you were doing it, or are you interested in having someone else put their spin on it?

I don't know that a lot of editors will want to just follow a cutlist, though it could be an interesting project for someone just getting started.

Agree with Spence. I have never seen a faneditor pick up someone else's idea for long enough to finish it.

Good luck in your personal life, I wish you the best. I just think these projects are a bit too personal for a handoff to happen.

@Silver Screen Samurai I did go ahead and merge the two threads as it is directly about this project.

I think the best thing to do would be to post your detailed notes here in our project thread. That way others could use it as a resource to either finish this idea or to take a similar approach.

Best of luck in your RL adventures!

@Silver Screen Samurai I did go ahead and merge the two threads as it is directly about this project.

I think the best thing to do would be to post your detailed notes here in our project thread. That way others could use it as a resource to either finish this idea or to take a similar approach.

Best of luck in your RL adventures!

This sounds like a good idea.

I'll probably wait a few days first, but I'll plan on posting a detailed cut-list of both versions to this thread in the coming days;
that way, if a future editor wants to use them as a starting point, they can.

I hit a roadblock with my current edit, but if a detailed cut list is posted, I would be willing to take a crack at this one. I wouldn’t start a thread until I was happy with it, in case I need to put it on the shelf and learn a new skill to use in the edit, but if you do post your cut list and stuff, I’ll potentially try my hand at it.

(PROGRESS UPDATE 2/8/22):
Sorry it's been a while, but I should have the ENTIRE cutlist available here by this coming weekend. Just a heads up, due to the amount of work involved in compiling these notes, it'll sadly only be for ONE of the two existing cuts. What'll probably happen is, come Saturday, I'll watch both cuts to determine which has better pacing overall, and THAT will be the one submitted to this thread; so more to come Sunday, for anybody wondering as to the state of this project.

(PROGRESS UPDATE 2/14/22):
Guys... I have slightly unexpected, but good, news.
I had a change of heart; I'm going to finish this edit after all.

When I said I wouldn't have as much time for fan-editing anymore, I was telling the truth. With that said, I've come to realize it doesn't really make sense to abandon this project. That might have been a rational decision back when it was still in the early stages, but now -- since it's basically 95% of the way to being completed -- @spence and @addiesin are right; I might as well just finish it.

To tell you the truth, there was also a part of that initial "cancellation" post that was slightly motivated by fear; that if I took the time to finish this edit, I wouldn't have time to devote to my professional work as an editor. I also feared -- probably letting anxiety speak, instead of rational intelligence -- the possibility of getting blacklisted in the film industry. The industry obviously doesn't look at fan-editing the same way this community does; and while said community absolutely DOES NOT ENDORSE PIRACY, and strongly disavows it, part of me fears the industry doesn't really see the same distinction as we do. So I got scared; that if this edit ever became associated with me, I would potentially risk ending my career as a professional editor... and while admittedly that still somewhat concerns me, this project is already too far along to simply abandon it altogether. It's clearly already too well defined to allow much wiggle room for another editor to put their own stamp on it, and it's not really fair to ask them to just regurgitate a step-by-step cutlist.

That all being said, I'll still upload a more detailed cutlist soon, as promised.
But now it's a cutlist for a STILL ACTIVE edit, as opposed to an abandoned one... for which I'm quite exited :cool:

I don’t think you’d be blacklisted. After all, Steven Soderbergh, a very professional director, has fanedits that are even listed on this site. Plus you aren’t going by your real name, so it would be a bit more difficult to find out who you are anyway. Regardless, I’m happy you are back on this edit and I can’t wait to see it!

Back
Top Bottom