• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

James Mangold's "THE WOLVERINE" - A Silver Screen Samurai Restoration

Silver Screen Samurai

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello everyone! I'm very pleased to announced that work on the v3.0 ISO file, and splitting into RARs, is complete. The thing to keep in mind is that this is a Blu-Ray ISO file; therefore the file is understandably quite large (36 GB), and is therefore split into 29-part RAR folder, each part being 1GB each. So just be aware that you will need a 50 GB dual-layer disc to successfully burn it for playback (that said, the ISO will already play on most media players without burning)

What's to come next:
-- Due to the large file size, and hosting size limits, it will be spread out across multiple locations (each likely containing 4½GB of the project).
-- Also due to the large size, it'll take a couple days to successfully setup and place the RARs in their new home.
-- Once Keo troubleshoots downloading, unpacking, and playing the file on his end (it does on mine), we'll be able to release it.

Stay tuned, everyone! We're almost at the finish line.

Darth Kermit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yay! Sounds good, can’t wait to add this to my burned fanedits!

Silver Screen Samurai

Reaction score
Trophy Points
(V3.0 PROGRESS UPDATE 10/10/22):
So it will take a few more days to prepare these RARs than I'd initially estimated, due to slow upload speed/connection. Aside from that delay, v3.0 should still be ready for troubleshooting by the end of the week (and then assuming troubleshooting runs smoothly, should be ready for release).

Silver Screen Samurai

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello, everyone.
Wanted to let you all know -- due to both the large number of Direct Messages, and increasing commitments in my personal life -- that I'm no longer taking link requests for edits. Consequently, I kindly ask that you stop reaching out to me.

That said, you can all rest assured that the link is still active and that the edit isn't going anywhere. @Wakeupkeo is still taking link requests, since we collaborated on it, so not much has changed. The only thing that's different now is that you should refrain from reaching out to ME if trying to find this edit, you should solely reach out to @Wakeupkeo.

Cheers everyone.
Happy editing!

Silver Screen Samurai

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello everyone (=
Silver Screen Samurai here, with an exciting development.

First of all, I really appreciate the positive reception you've collectively given this edit, and I'm especially honored at the nominations for fanedit of the year and new faneditor. However, while we stand by everything we did VISUALLY with this edit, there's one point all of you have kept bringing up in your reviews... and that's Harada's lack of motivation to kidnap Mariko and betray Logan at the end. Believe it or not, we've ALWAYS agreed with you on this issue, and were always looking ways to solve it since the very inception of this edit. At the end of the day, the existing footage was simply too limited to fully turn him into a villain without going beyond the original intention of creating "Mangold's version," since the only explanation would have required us to keep Viper/Yashida...

...however, a new option we didn't have back then has since become available. Specifically, it is now possible to create "audio deepfakes" of actors saying new lines, by recording yourself saying them and converting it to sound like the actor. A few edits have done this already, and that got the wheels turning...

...me and Keo have talked it over, and we've decided to go back and add ONE MORE CHANGE to this edit, just to give it the final polish it deserves. After that, I think we'll both feel this version is the best it can possibly be, since it solves a problem I've wanted to fix since I originally started making it 6 years ago. Looking forward to sharing this with you all once it's completed.

Silver Screen Samurai

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello everyone (=
Silver Screen Samurai here, with an exciting development.

First of all, I really appreciate the positive reception you've collectively given this edit, and I'm especially honored at the nominations for fanedit of the year and new faneditor. However, while we stand by everything we did VISUALLY with this edit, there's one point all of you have kept bringing up in your reviews... and that's Harada's lack of motivation to kidnap Mariko and betray Logan at the end. Believe it or not, we've ALWAYS agreed with you on this issue, and were always looking ways to solve it since the very inception of this edit. At the end of the day, the existing footage was simply too limited to fully turn him into a villain without going beyond the original intention of creating "Mangold's version," since the only explanation would have required us to keep Viper/Yashida...

...however, a new option we didn't have back then has since become available. Specifically, it is now possible to create "audio deepfakes" of actors saying new lines, by recording yourself saying them and converting it to sound like the actor. A few edits have done this already, and that got the wheels turning...

...me and Keo have talked it over, and we've decided to go back and add ONE MORE CHANGE to this edit, just to give it the final polish it deserves. After that, I think we'll both feel this version is the best it can possibly be, since it solves a problem I've wanted to fix since I originally started making it 6 years ago. Looking forward to sharing this with you all once it's completed.
Hey everyone!
Realize it's been a minute, just wanted to asure everyone this is still happening!

Not much progress, due to administrative/startup troubleshooting things (as well as another project I haven't announced yet, but will soon, keeping me busy... 👀), but should be able to start recording the final change for this final version of the edit soon. A big thing for me in general, as someone who really respects the craft of voice acting -- and has seen rather too many peers lose jobs to far less skilled AI -- I'm wondering if recording ADR deepfaking essentially encompasses generative AI. Or is this just essentially the audio equivalent of motion capture?

Like, what do you collectively think? As someone who has personal reservations about AI, is using it to create ADR for this edit a case of "reluctantly not able to get the original actor, by force rather than voluntarily using it" or does this contribute to a bad precedent? More a philosophical problem than anything else, wondering what others think. For context, on a professional/original project, I would NEVER use this tech. That's why I guess I'm seeking second opinions.

WilliamRedRobin

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As far as I'm concerned is has exactly the same moral implications as hiring someone to do an impression of the actor.

Fran_Garcia

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree with @WilliamRedRobin.

It is like an actor doing a voice impersonation.

I think that, this AI voice cloning technology is very helpful and useful when trying to find a solution in fan edits, I have used several voice cloning in my next edit and the results are very good.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think it's fine, but try to keep it to a minimum because it's not quite out of the uncanny valley yet.

Silver Screen Samurai

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello everyone!
Realize it's now been a while since I announced V4.0, and just wanted to let you all know it IS in fact still happening. I also said this in the "Star Wars: Unmastered Rough Cut" ITW-Thread, but the reason for the delay is that I'm currently in the process of starting a new job/gearing up the logistics of moving into a new apartment soon (and that's basically taking up all of my available time).

So that's the reason, I literally just haven't had a second to spare to do this yet. Like, all of the actual DECISIONS about V4.0 have already been made. Like, it would literally take me less than a day to actually sit down and record/edit everything that needs to happen for it to be done, I literally just haven't had a spare second to do that since logistical life stuff has taken up most of my time. So I assure once I find that available time, this edit will be completed.

Thank you all for your generous understanding and patience in the meantime.

waffle

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello everyone!
Realize it's now been a while since I announced V4.0, and just wanted to let you all know it IS in fact still happening. I also said this in the "Star Wars: Unmastered Rough Cut" ITW-Thread, but the reason for the delay is that I'm currently in the process of starting a new job/gearing up the logistics of moving into a new apartment soon (and that's basically taking up all of my available time).

So that's the reason, I literally just haven't had a second to spare to do this yet. Like, all of the actual DECISIONS about V4.0 have already been made. Like, it would literally take me less than a day to actually sit down and record/edit everything that needs to happen for it to be done, I literally just haven't had a spare second to do that since logistical life stuff has taken up most of my time. So I assure once I find that available time, this edit will be completed.

Thank you all for your generous understanding and patience in the meantime.
Sounds good. I didn't know about this project beforehand, so I'll keep an eye out for when v4.0 is released.

Top Bottom