• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

James Mangold's "THE WOLVERINE" - A Silver Screen Samurai Restoration

I honestly don't think most studios either know about fanedits, or care at all about them.

We have a great community here, and it's easy to think these things are bigger than they are. It's still a pretty niche hobby, and I don't think they're concerned with 100 people downloading a fanedit when there's tens of thousands of people pirating stuff every day.

Is it foolproof? No. But if Disney/Lucasfilm let us keep doing it, I don't think anyone else is going to be the ones going after fanedits. As long as we keep it above board.

(PROGRESS UPDATE 2/19/22):
Okay guys, so after watching both rough cuts, a definitive decision has been reached...
I'm going with version 1.0 on this. The train sequence will be staying in the film.

What happened was, when it was cut, the film's pacing was just utterly destroyed. Mangold appears to have very deliberately designed the first act so that we have ½ hour with ZERO action, creating a totally sluggish pace (mirroring Wolverine's depressed state of mind at that point), followed by a NON-STOP ½ HOUR EXPLOSION OF ACTION, by which point we (and Wolverine) are exhausted and need a breather; which he provides, by focussing the next ½ hour on drama rather than action...

...so the problem is, in the cut where the train sequence was removed, this structure and pacing was completely messed up; suddenly we had a very slow start, a quick little fight at the funeral, and then essentially AN HOUR WITH NO MAJOR ACTION. The train sequence is one of three action scenes in that ½ hour, so removing it essentially made it so we had a 5 minute action sequence, 15 minutes with no action, another 2 minute action sequence, and then ½ hour with no action. Suddenly "slow EXPLOSIVE slow" ... became "slow, quick dose, slow, small dose, slower"

No only that, but it created a lot of continuity problems in the third act that weren't really possible to fix. Specifically, the place Mariko and Logan are hiding out is supposed to be a top-secret location only she knows, rendering it safe; only by finding the bodies from the train fight does Shingen know where they are. So by cutting the fight, it becomes unclear how the bad guys found them while also making Mariko look like an idiot (hurting her parallels to Logan's intelligence). Based on my professional judgement -- since it was ambiguous as to whether or not the sequence was meant to be in Mangold's cut to begin with -- I believe Mangold probably always intended for the train fight to be in the film; since it sets up a lot of the third act, and has a lot of buildup in the first.

So now I've definitely settled which version will go forward;
Having gotten that task out of the way, I'll finally be able to get a detailed cutlist up soon.

Last edited:
Great read. I've always been EXTEMELY fond of the first 90 or so and last 4-5 minutes of this movie. I am really curious to see what you will deliver. Hopes are pretty high up. And I agree, the train sequence totally belongs to the film.
Thank you for your hard work.

(PROGRESS UPDATE 2/20/22):
Finally, guys, as promised… here it is :cool:

Below is the detailed cutlist, of all changes made to the film so far. I will probably give this cut a viewing today, before making any final little adjustments I want to add before signing off on it. Then, I’ll transcode my MP4 work-print to .AVI, add some sound-FX in a couple places, then I’ll be ready to preview it for people.

Mainly, the intent was to follow the original vision James Mangold had for the film; in accordance with statements he’s made in interviews as well as statements made by various crew members/actors on the original version of the script (I’ll definitely be cross-referencing my notes with that document, if I can locate the first draft). The main changes are that Viper is essentially no longer in this cut, and Yashida doesn’t come back to life as a giant robot later (sigh…); In this version, when he dies at the beginning? He’s actually dead. Neither the finale in the fortress, or the inclusion of Viper, were in Mangold’s original version of the film. They were added by the studio. Thus they’ve been removed, in accordance with his wishes; rendering the film more of small-scale Neo-noir set in Japan, with real world stakes and logic, as originally intended. Without furthur ado, the changes are as follows…

=== [RUNNING TIMES] ===
-- The Unleashed Extended Edition: 2h18m
-- Silver Screen Samurai Restoration: 1h50m

OLD YASHIDA INTRODUCTION
Per Mangold’s wishes, Viper has basically been removed from this film. Not completely, but all close-ups and prominent character moments have been removed unless absolutely necessary (like in the scene with Yashida and his son, implying the son payed her to kill his father). In this scene, her close-ups were replaced with the insert of the heart monitor, turning it into a visual motif of Yashida’s mortality:

(00:24:11:15)
  • Removed closeup of Wolverine and Viper exchanging glances, because it foreshadows a more prominent role in the film than she'll have in this version. Bridged with gap with the insert of the heart monitor.
(00:28:33:00)
  • Removed another closeup of Viper, by cutting away to a custom insert (no difference in length, just a different cutaway)
  • To actually build off the motif/bookends structure, I created a sped-up version of the heartbeat monitor insert. I like this idea because then it visually shows a change from Yashida’s calmness, at the beginning of the scene, to his anxiety at the end of the scene (slow-fast heartbeat); which, as a side effect, also hides/cuts the inserts on Viper. In general, that’s how I like to work; meaningful reason for a decision first, addressing an editing/continuity problem second.

POISONING SEQUENCE
By basically reducing Viper to a featured extra, this obviously created an obstacle trying to make the poisoning scene work; since, in this version, she’s not the culprit. Now the film becomes more of a whodunnit, since we now don’t know who actually poisoned him until the (new) final act (It’s not the same culprit as the theatrical cut, as you’ll see later on):

(00:33:58:20)
  • I essentially just turned into Wolverine waking up from a PTSD nightmare about the war; so now dreaming about Yashida and the bunker triggers him waking up in stress, perfectly leading into Yashida’s death.
(00:35:08:07)
  • Removed the closeup of Yukio saying she “didn’t foresee” Yashida’s; partially because it foreshadows him coming back as a Samurai robot (groans), which has been removed in this cut, but also because it hurts the film’s suspense; if she can be wrong, the prophecy of Wolverine’s death has no stakes.

FUNERAL SEQUENCE
Removed various closeups of, and cutaways to, Viper; since she’s not really in this version in any prominent capacity. This included entering the temple, as well as cutaways to her during the shootout. The sequence now only establishes ONE main villain, and it’s Harada (LIKE THE COMICSs!!!); I might experiment with also removing a lot of his kills from the sequence, so more ambiguous whether or not he’s protecting Mariko. Said cuts are detailed below:

(00:35:52:17)
  • Removed closeup of Viper, thus eliminating foreshadowing for the now removed robot battle (groans). So now we jump straight to the wide shot of Harada, since he’s the main villain in this cut (YOU KNOW, LIKE THE COMICS!!)
(00:36:19:03)
  • Removed prominent shot emphasizing Viper, jumping from the same wide shot of Harada to a wide of Logan and Yukio entering the temple.
(00:38:03:08)
  • Removed a rack-focus and cutaway to Viper, by cutting to the wide shot of Yashida’s coffin.
  • Also removed Harada’s monologue, vowing to protect Mariko; since it makes his motives more ambiguous, and in turn him more believable as a villain.
(00:40:26:20)
  • Removed Viper recording the fight on her phone, since who does that during a fight anyway? (plus it never comes back, it’s just a really bad Checkov’s gun).
(00:40:39:02)
  • Removed Viper spitting venom in a man’s face, since she won’t be using that power later. Instead, I just use the weird wonky psychological visual and editing style of Wolverine getting shot to motivate the cut.

LOVE HOTEL SECTION
Mainly wanted to remove the various references to Viper in this section; since she’s not the one responsible for poisoning Wolverine in this cut, and essentially been removed from this cut of the film:

(00:56:30:07)
  • Removed the hallucination of Viper when Wolverine is jumped.

(00:59:09:10)
  • Trimmed the scene of Wolverine being stitched, to remove the conversation discussing Viper poisoning him; since she’s not the one who did it in this version, and it just repeats exposition we already know.
  • Completely removed the scene where Viper and Harada discuss their plan in the rain, since it foreshadows a finale that won’t be in this cut.

THE VILLAGE SECTION
Only made one minor change here, to adhere to this cut’s continuity:

(01:02:49:17)
  • Removed the backstory on Harada and Mariko being lovers, since it makes his motives too sympathetic to make a believable villain.
  • Bridged this with a time cut, jumping ahead in the scene; now instead of one scene of them making dinner and eating, it’s two separate scenes.

THE KIDNAPPING SECTION
Mainly I wanted to completely remove Viper from this section, since she’s not in cahoots with the Ninjas in this version, and set up a better transition into the Ninja fight in the snow later. This also actually involved removing Harada from this section, since he seemed too genuinely concerned to work as a villain. So now we don’t know who kidnapped her until Wolverine knows.

(01:28:50:14)
  • Ended the kidnapping scene slightly earlier, on that shot of Ninja yanking Mariko out the door by her arms.
  • This eliminates Harada and Viper from the scene, and also leaves it ambiguous as to what happened to Shingen; we assume, via the Kushlov effect, that the Ninjas killed him offscreen, since we now don’t actually see it… making it a more surprising reveal when he shows up in the cardiac arrest sequence.
(1:31:41:17)
  • Moved the cutaway to “mystery figure” (Shingen) to later, to be explained momentarily; thus rendering Wolverine turning on the medical bed and actually getting in it as one continuous scene, rather than two broken up.
(1:32:38:03)
  • Deleted the dialogue exchange where Wolverine says Yukio was “wrong” about Yashida’s death; since he actually is (in fact) dead in this version.
  • Also, it totally deflates the tension to suggest she might be wrong about Logan’s death RIGHT AS HE’S ABOUT TO (POTENTIALLY) DIE.
  • Bridged this cut by moving the cutaway to “mystery figure” (Shingen) here, instead of earlier.
(1:35:41:05)
  • Removed the line “that Viper bitch took her,” since she’s not in this version.

TRANSITION TO FINAL ACT
The new final act, in this version, is the Ninja fight. Whether or not this was ever meant to be the climax of the film is totally up for debate, but it’s clear it was always supposed to be in the film (and the fortress duel following it was not). But the thing, by completely removing Viper from this cut, the transition from Wolverine’s duel with Shingen to the finale is rendered a bit rocky. This necessitated the creation of a new transition between acts, which follows thusly:

(1:37:43:22)
  • Completely removed the post-duel scene with Yukio, since it’s there solely to foreshadow the robot fight (which isn’t in this cut).
  • The silhouetted shot of Wolverine, in the rain, now cuts to the establishing of him grabbing a cigar.
  • Completely removed the dialogue scene in the fortress, between Viper and Mariko; once again, it foreshadows a finale we won’t be seeing (and also, in case I haven’t mentioned it, Viper isn’t this cut).
  • The establishing shot of Wolverine, grabbing a cigar, now cuts to the exterior wide shot of the fortress (from deleted the dialogue scene).
  • The wide shot, of the fortress, now cuts to the wide shot of Logan on a motorcycle.
  • Completely removed the dialogue scene between Viper and Harada; since he’s not a hero in this version, and also VIPER ISN’T IN THIS CUT OF THE FILM.
  • The wide shot of Logan, on a motorcycle, now cuts to the ninja fight

THE NINJA FIGHT
This sequence was radically reworked, in terms of continuity as well as transitioning smoothly to the final airport scene; albeit as minimally as possible, in order to preserve James Mangold’s incredible blocking and fight choreography. In this version of the fight, will all the storylines be resolved? All the mysteries solved? What are Harada’s true motives? Will we find out who poisoned Logan in this cut? The answer to those questions…

* * *​

…Well, I won’t go and reveal everything in store;
I wouldn’t wanna give to much away, after all 😉

Last edited:
(PROGRESS UPDATE 2/20/22):
Finally, guys, as promised… here it is :cool:

Below is the detailed cutlist, of all changes made to the film so far. I will probably give this cut a viewing today, before making any final little adjustments I want to add before signing off on it. Then, I’ll transcode my MP4 work-print to .AVI, add some sound-FX in a couple places, then I’ll be ready to preview it for people.

Mainly, the intent was to follow the original vision James Mangold had for the film; in accordance with statements he’s made in interviews as well as statements made by various crew members/actors on the original version of the script (I’ll definitely be cross-referencing my notes with that document, if I can locate the first draft). The main changes are that Viper is essentially no longer in this cut, and Yashida doesn’t come back to life as a giant robot later (sigh…); In this version, when he dies at the beginning? He’s actually dead. Neither the finale in the fortress, or the inclusion of Viper, were in Mangold’s original version of the film. They were added by the studio. Thus they’ve been removed, in accordance with his wishes; rendering the film more of small-scale Neo-noir set in Japan, with real world stakes and logic, as originally intended. Without furthur ado, the changes are as follows…

=== [RUNNING TIMES] ===
-- The Unleashed Extended Edition: 2h18m
-- Silver Screen Samurai Restoration: 1h50m

OLD YASHIDA INTRODUCTION
Per Mangold’s wishes, Viper has basically been removed from this film. Not completely, but all close-ups and prominent character moments have been removed unless absolutely necessary (like in the scene with Yashida and his son, implying the son payed her to kill his father). In this scene, her close-ups were replaced with the insert of the heart monitor, turning it into a visual motif of Yashida’s mortality:

(00:24:11:15)
  • Removed closeup of Wolverine and Viper exchanging glances, because it foreshadows a more prominent role in the film than she'll have in this version. Bridged with gap with the insert of the heart monitor.
(00:28:33:00)
  • Removed another closeup of Viper, by cutting away to a custom insert (no difference in length, just a different cutaway)
  • To actually build off the motif/bookends structure, I created a sped-up version of the heartbeat monitor insert. I like this idea because then it visually shows a change from Yashida’s calmness, at the beginning of the scene, to his anxiety at the end of the scene (slow-fast heartbeat); which, as a side effect, also hides/cuts the inserts on Viper. In general, that’s how I like to work; meaningful reason for a decision first, addressing an editing/continuity problem second.

POISONING SEQUENCE
By basically reducing Viper to a featured extra, this obviously created an obstacle trying to make the poisoning scene work; since, in this version, she’s not the culprit. Now the film becomes more of a whodunnit, since we now don’t know who actually poisoned him until the (new) final act (It’s not the same culprit as the theatrical cut, as you’ll see later on):

• I essentially just turned into Wolverine waking up from a PTSD nightmare about the war; so now dreaming about Yashida and the bunker triggers him waking up in stress, perfectly leading into Yashida’s death.
  • Removed the closeup of Yukio saying she “didn’t foresee” Yashida’s; partially because it foreshadows him coming back as a Samurai robot (groans), which has been removed in this cut, but also because it hurts the film’s suspense; if she can be wrong, the prophecy of Wolverine’s death has no stakes.

FUNERAL SEQUENCE
Removed various closeups of, and cutaways to, Viper; since she’s not really in this version in any prominent capacity. This included entering the temple, as well as cutaways to her during the shootout. The sequence now only establishes ONE main villain, and it’s Harada (LIKE THE COMICSs!!!); I might experiment with also removing a lot of his kills from the sequence, so more ambiguous whether or not he’s protecting Mariko. Said cuts are detailed below:

(00:35:52:17)
  • Removed closeup of Viper, thus eliminating foreshadowing for the now removed robot battle (groans). So now we jump straight to the wide shot of Harada, since he’s the main villain in this cut (YOU KNOW, LIKE THE COMICS!!)
(00:36:19:03)
  • Removed prominent shot emphasizing Viper, jumping from the same wide shot of Harada to a wide of Logan and Yukio entering the temple.
(00:38:03:08)
  • Removed a rack-focus and cutaway to Viper, by cutting to the wide shot of Yashida’s coffin.
  • Also removed Harada’s monologue, vowing to protect Mariko; since it makes his motives more ambiguous, and in turn him more believable as a villain.
  • Removed Viper recording the fight on her phone, since who does that during a fight anyway? (plus it never comes back, it’s just a really bad Checkov’s gun).
  • Removed Viper spitting venom in a man’s face, since she won’t be using that power later. Instead, I just use the weird wonky psychological visual and editing style of Wolverine getting shot to motivate the cut.

LOVE HOTEL SECTION
Mainly wanted to remove the various references to Viper in this section; since she’s not the one responsible for poisoning Wolverine in this cut, and essentially been removed from this cut of the film:

(00:56:30:07)
  • Removed the hallucination of Viper when Wolverine is jumped.

(00:59:09:10)
  • Trimmed the scene of Wolverine being stitched, to remove the conversation discussing Viper poisoning him; since she’s not the one who did it in this version, and it just repeats exposition we already know.
  • Completely removed the scene where Viper and Harada discuss their plan in the rain, since it foreshadows a finale that won’t be in this cut.

THE VILLAGE SECTION
Only made one minor change here, to adhere to this cut’s continuity:

(01:02:49:17)
  • Removed the backstory on Harada and Mariko being lovers, since it makes his motives too sympathetic to make a believable villain.
  • Bridged this with a time cut, jumping ahead in the scene; now instead of one scene of them making dinner and eating, it’s two separate scenes.

THE KIDNAPPING SECTION
Mainly I wanted to completely remove Viper from this section, since she’s not in cahoots with the Ninjas in this version, and set up a better transition into the Ninja fight in the snow later. This also actually involved removing Harada from this section, since he seemed too genuinely concerned to work as a villain. So now we don’t know who kidnapped her until Wolverine knows.

(01:28:50:14)
  • Ended the kidnapping scene slightly earlier, on that shot of Ninja yanking Mariko out the door by her arms.
  • This eliminates Harada and Viper from the scene, and also leaves it ambiguous as to what happened to Shingen; we assume, via the Kushlov effect, that the Ninjas killed him offscreen, since we now don’t actually see it… making it a more surprising reveal when he shows up in the cardiac arrest sequence.
  • Moved the cutaway to “mystery figure” (Shingen) to later, to be explained momentarily; thus rendering Wolverine turning on the medical bed and actually getting in it as one continuous scene, rather than two broken up.
  • Deleted the dialogue exchange where Wolverine says Yukio was “wrong” about Yashida’s death; since he actually is (in fact) dead in this version.
  • Also, it totally deflates the tension to suggest she might be wrong about Logan’s death RIGHT AS HE’S ABOUT TO (POTENTIALLY) DIE.
  • Bridged this cut by moving the cutaway to “mystery figure” (Shingen) here, instead of earlier.
(1:35:41:05)
  • Removed the line “that Viper bitch took her,” since she’s not in this version.

TRANSITION TO FINAL ACT
The new final act, in this version, is the Ninja fight. Whether or not this was ever meant to be the climax of the film is totally up for debate, but it’s clear it was always supposed to be in the film (and the fortress duel following it was not). But the thing, by completely removing Viper from this cut, the transition from Wolverine’s duel with Shingen to the finale is rendered a bit rocky. This necessitated the creation of a new transition between acts, which follows thusly:

(1:37:43:22)
  • Completely removed the post-duel scene with Yukio, since it’s there solely to foreshadow the robot fight (which isn’t in this cut).
  • The silhouetted shot of Wolverine, in the rain, now cuts to the establishing of him grabbing a cigar.
  • Completely removed the dialogue scene in the fortress, between Viper and Mariko; once again, it foreshadows a finale we won’t be seeing (and also, in case I haven’t mentioned it, Viper isn’t this cut).
  • The establishing shot of Wolverine, grabbing a cigar, now cuts to the exterior wide shot of the fortress (from deleted the dialogue scene).
  • The wide shot, of the fortress, now cuts to the wide shot of Logan on a motorcycle.
  • Completely removed the dialogue scene between Viper and Harada; since he’s not a hero in this version, and also VIPER ISN’T IN THIS CUT OF THE FILM.
  • The wide shot of Logan, on a motorcycle, now cuts to the ninja fight

THE NINJA FIGHT
This sequence was radically reworked, in terms of continuity as well as transitioning smoothly to the final airport scene; albeit as minimally as possible, in order to preserve James Mangold’s incredible blocking and fight choreography. In this version of the fight, will all the storylines be resolved? All the mysteries solved? What are Harada’s true motives? Will we find out who poisoned Logan in this cut? The answer to those questions…

* * *​

…Well, I won’t go and reveal everything in store;
I wouldn’t wanna give to much away, after all 😉

I'm truly fascinated and curious as to how you resolved the final act. Fingers crossed!

(PROGRESS UPDATE 2/21/22):
So I actually haven't watched the most recent cut yet, because I actually decided to first make some more changes; via cross-referencing other sources regarding Mangold's original version... more specifically, Mangold himself (tweets):

[when asked whether he prefers the theatrical cut or extended edition]:
Complex. My fave is the unrated v of theatrical with some violence restored. Most extra scenes in extended were wisely cut.
Essentially, what Mangold is saying here is that neither cut is his preferred version; we already knew that. However, contrary to popular belief, the THEATRICAL cut is actually closer to his vision than the EXTENDED cut. Specifically, apart from some additional gore and R-Rated shots, the Extended cut also has 12 minutes of deleted scenes added back into the film; these weren't scenes the studio forced him to cut, he cut them simply because he just didn't want them.

So his approved version would essentially look like the theatrical cut, but with the R-RATED CARNAGE added back in; as well as the removal of the final fortress fight with the Robot* and Viper. So essentially, right now there are actually two versions of the SSS Restoration (again, I know). One is the same one as two days ago; but the other experiments with removing EVEN MORE scenes, being those that weren't included in the theatrical cut. Rest assured, all the gore from the UEE is still there, it just doesn't have the added back deleted scenes.

=== [RUNNING TIMES] ===
-- The Silver Screen Samurai Director's Edition: 1h43m
-- The Silver Screen Samurai Extended Edition: 1h50m

[breakdown of both cuts]

So essentially, this is now both a restoration AND a hybrid cut; in that it removes the scenes absent in the TC, while also retaining the gore and R-Rated material in the UEE. You can see that the SSS Director's Edition is strangely only 9 minutes shorter; despite the fact that the TC is 12 minutes shorter than the UEE. This is because some of the extra scenes in the UEE were already removed to begin with (in the SSS Extended Edition).

So my next step is to watch/review both versions. Then, what'll probably happen -- so long as it's well paced -- is that the SSS Director's Edition will be the one that goes forward. Since the goal of this edit is to be as true to Mangold's vision as possible, if he decided those 12 minutes of extra scenes should be cut? Then they shall stay cut. What I may potentially do, in the future, is come back to complete and release the SSS Extended Edition as a little bonus; not a definitive version of the film, just as an extra treat for completists.

*I refuse to call that decroded piece of crap Silver Samurai

Last edited:
*I refuse to call that decroded piece of crap Silver Samurai
i-feel-you-bro.jpg

(PROGRESS UPDATE 2/22/22):
I'm finally far along enough in the pipeline to be able to show you guys some example clips.
I've annotated each one with its corresponding edit on the cutlist. Enjoy:

...each of these comes from the SSS Director's Edition; the first one i slightly different in the Extended Edition, since there's an entirely deleted scene sandwiched between the exchange with Yukio and the nightmare. Be sure to let me know what you all think so far! I should also be ready to preview some potential poster/cover art soon, so you'll all have that to look forward to in the near future.

Here's a bonus one; a little rotoscoped GIF I made, just for fun.

(PROGRESS UPDATE 2/22/22):
I'm finally far along enough in the pipeline to be able to show you guys some example clips.
I've annotated each one with its corresponding edit on the cutlist. Enjoy:

...each of these comes from the SSS Director's Edition; the first one i slightly different in the Extended Edition, since there's an entirely deleted scene sandwiched between the exchange with Yukio and the nightmare. Be sure to let me know what you all think so far! I should also be ready to preview some potential poster/cover art soon, so you'll all have that to look forward to in the near future.

Here's a bonus one; a little rotoscoped GIF I made, just for fun.
There seemed to be a flash frame around 00:28 in the first clip between the flashback and Logan sitting up in bed- I think it’s just a remnant of a shot from a different angle that you removed

I think the second and third ones both work well. In the first one, I feel like Wolverine waking up is really too sudden and without the necessary tension leading up to it... adding smaller, rhythmic, flashback snippets might help instead of going from Yashida’s close up to Wolverine waking up.
The other thing I found disorientating is when you hear Yukio’s voice saying “he’s dead” without ever seeing her. Have you tried leaving the scene unedited up to her walking up to Logan’s room, and cutting away to the funeral after she says “he’s dead”?

I think the second and third ones both work well. In the first one, I feel like Wolverine waking up is really too sudden and without the necessary tension leading up to it... adding smaller, rhythmic, flashback snippets might help instead of going from Yashida’s close up to Wolverine waking up.
The other thing I found disorientating is when you hear Yukio’s voice saying “he’s dead” without ever seeing her. Have you tried leaving the scene unedited up to her walking up to Logan’s room, and cutting away to the funeral after she says “he’s dead”?

I concur.

There seemed to be a flash frame around 00:28 in the first clip between the flashback and Logan sitting up in bed- I think it’s just a remnant of a shot from a different angle that you removed
Are you referring to 0:24, when he sits up? Because if so, that was actually intentional; essentially trying to be a bizarro/psychological quick-cut, akin to really jarring scene transitions Martin Scorsese does sometimes. It's also meant to mirror the bizarro/psychological quick-cutting of the LATTER nightmare sequence, when he's sleeping with Mariko.

@Canon Editor and @The Scribbling Man , I think you both might be right about the nightmare transitioning into him waking up being somewhat TOO quick. This was actually one of the hardest scenes to edit, because the actual amount of flashbacks in that scene aren't very numerous to begin with; since they were filmed to lead into the scene with Viper (removed in this version). What I might need to do is add a few more quick-cuts to make it build a little longer; either by bringing back some close-ups from other removed scenes, or potentially creating new ones (ie, flashbacks to the past movies for instance).

It DEFINITELY doesn't seem to be paralleling the latter nightmare sequence, with Mariko, as well as I'd intended (most likely because, as you both pointed out, it's not as long as that other scene); It also doesn't structurally parallel it, because that nightmare has a dream-sequence conversation with Jean BEFORE he goes beserk and wakes up. There's a similar conversation with Jean in the theatrical cut of this scene that could fulfill that purpose... I initially cut it, because it leads into Viper, but what if I put it back? Do you guys think it could help the scene breath a little more?

Thank you to everyone for your feedback!

Definitely try and add the Jean dialogue back in. That might help. It might feel too sudden all the same because as you said between that calm conversation and the waking up things might take a sudden turn. You could add the scream and blood from the beginning again... se how that turns out.

The problem is, she only has ONE shot in this scene... and it's the close-up of her saying "I didn't forsee it"
(which, as mentioned, was cut because it foreshadows the cut finale and hurts the film's suspense)

There's no establishing shot of her entering the room, zero, nada, NOTHING. She just enters offscreen, silently, like a ghost. So to put the CU back, so we can see her, might potentially be WAY MORE JARRING; because we'd only be able to hold on it a mere few seconds (because of the line) before immediately cutting to the funeral.

(I'll still try to play around with that though, because you're absolutely right; it might just be a bit tricky to add her back smoothly)

I can't remember the film well enough to comment too much on narrative stuff, but I do recall the Jean stuff feeling like something completely irrelevant to the film. Anywho, the main thing for me is that the audio and the visual cut from dream to wolverine waking was jarring. The visual is too quick, and the audio sounded like an incomplete sound effect (I was watching on a laptop, bearing in mind. Not the best for audio). The "he's dead" overdub audio is just random, since as far as the audience knows, wolverine has woken up alone and is viewing a scene from afar.

Edit: I think it's better to not have the line than have it and it not make sense to the audience. Do we need to hear that line? Isn't it clear he's either injured or dead, and don't we then cut to a funeral? (i might be wrong, but that's my impression)

Back
Top Bottom