• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

James Mangold's "THE WOLVERINE" - A Silver Screen Samurai Restoration

Cut list:
  • Base is the Theatrical Version
  • Extended Edition with more graphic shot of Soldier commiting suicide used
  • Extended Edition with more graphic shot of Logan's claws in Jean used
  • Extended Edition with more graphic shot of Logan killing bear used
  • Extended Edition with more graphic shot of the arrow in the hunter's hand used
  • Trimmed Yumiko dialogue with Logan while being driven to old Yashida's home, using select parts of both theatrical and extended dialogue
  • Logan and Old Yashida's meeting edited to remove some of the shots of Viper, using extended scene as starting point.
  • Extended Edition scene of Shingen and old Yashida added and slightly trimmed
  • Logan being poisoned by Viper scene replaced with new nightmare sequence from Silver Screen Samurai, with Jean hair FX fix done by Wakeupkeo
  • Viper removed from relevance during funeral
  • Extended Edition Funeral fight scene with more graphic shots used, trimmed to reduce appearance of Viper and some of Hamada's face shots
  • Extended Edition Train Fight version with more graphic shots used
  • Some of Logan's dialogue at the end of the scene in the vet's office trimmed
  • Transition to train to Nagasaki adjusted slightly for flow
  • Logan and Mariko's discussion about her and Hamada removed
  • Noburo's interrogation trimmed to remove discussion of Yashida ruining the company and Shingen trying to save it
  • Shingen's slap of Mariko just before her kidnapping removed.
  • Interaction between Hamada and Mariko at old Yashida's house removed
  • Shingen and Viper interaction removed
  • Extended Edition scenes of Logan Yumiko and Shingen at old Yashida's home with more graphic shots used
  • Shots of Shingen getting his swords and armor moved slightly later
  • Yumiko's mentions of seeing Yashida dying removed
  • Shingen's lines about Mariko and Shingen destroying company removed, dialogue trimmed down to just Shingen resenting Yashida's appreciation of Logan.
  • All scenes of Viper and Hamada removed
  • Extended Edition Ninja fight with more graphic shots used
  • End of the Ninja fight heavily edited to be the final act.
  • Final transition from snowblower crash to the dream of Jean, created by Silver Screen Samurai.
  • All of the scenes in the tower removed.
  • New mid-credit scene edited to remove Logan's bone claws, created by Silver Screen Samurai.

Hello everyone!
@Silver Screen Samurai here.

Just wanted to pop on to say thank you to everyone who supported this edit from the getgo, including some people I can't thank enough; be it @DigModiFicaTion, @slekyr, @GelflingHand, and @ChainsawAsh, who responded to the first technical help forum I ever posted, or @M4_ who provided general assistance regarding codecs and ffmpeg, as well as @addiesin who provided valuable information regarding splitting and mixing 5.1 tracks.

And most importantly, I'd like to thank @Wakeupkeo who saw this edit through to its completion. He was incredibly patient, open to collaboration, and always willing to explore or refine ideas further. He honored the original cutlist to the letter and then some, improving upon some ideas I'd only vaguely figured out when I pulled the plug, and even managed to introduce a few great ideas of his own... and I must say, the film is now better for them. I've had the chance to review his progress and watch the final edit, and I can honestly say it receives my seal of approval as a professional editor.

Once again, thank you all for supporting this edit.
I'm excited to see it released in this state, and look forward to you getting to finally watch it.

Hello, everyone!
We're grateful for the positive reception this cut has received, and look forward to making it even better for you all!

Recently a few people have expressed a similar criticism regarding a certain aspect of this edit, and I want you all to know me and Keo read you loud and clear. Therefore, I'm coming on here to publicly announce we're working on an updated Version 2.0 to fix this issue. In short, it'll largely be the same cut as before but with two simple changes that should resolve that problem. Special thanks to @DirtyCop1036 and @lantern51 for making us realize it still needed addressing.

(also totally not a requirement, but anyone who chooses to update their review when V2.0 comes out is gladly appreciated).

I thoroughly enjoyed the edit and really appreciate your combined efforts. V2.0 does however sound intriguing- do the changes relate to the of the Ninja Clan in the finale? I had thought including the earlier scene where Harada is seen taking Mariko against her will, as well as the earlier discussion with Logan about their relationship and Haradas expectations would perhaps give this more context, but I’m sure you have your own more well thought out ideas. Can’t wait to see the final result

We're doing something similar, @stferguson78.
We are going to add back the deleted Harada backstory, and a (heavily altered) version of that scene in the tower. We still don't want to show Harada talking before the finale, because that way his confrontation with Logan is the first time we hear him speaking in the film (making it more powerful). So we're taking FOOTAGE from that scene and combining it with other deleted footage in a new context, to essentially create an entirely new sequence.

That'll hopefully make more sense when you see it, but yes that's essentially what we're addressing. That was always a problem when I started this edit four years ago, because the issue is there's so little footage or coverage of Harada that Viper or Yashida isn't in. So if the one available scene that doesn't feature either of them doesn't work, it gives you very limited options. I kid you not when I say literally almost every shot inside or around the tower that doesn't feature Viper or Yashida can be contained within this 1 minute sequence we're creating, like, pickings are that slim.

Last edited:
Watched it, reviewed it and enjoyed it, but like others have said, it ends to abruptly.
I also have a suggestion, if you have the Japanese audio, then how about using the Japanese dub for when the Japanese character or wolverine is talking to them? It’s still jarring when Japanese characters switch between English and Japanese for no reason and doesn’t reflect reality.

Version 2.01 is now available!

@yoshif8tures, I think that might actually cause issues is Wolverine didn't also speak in Japanese in response, but a FULL Japanese edit would be fun! I don't have a 5.1 Japanese track on the discs I have, but if I ever come across one...

I really with I could burn full Japanese subtitles for ALL Japanese dialogue, that would feel most natural to me for an English version. But the movie subtitles miss a ton of that dialogue and the Japanese only subtitles feel weird in what is translated and what is not.

I think that might actually cause issues is Wolverine didn't also speak in Japanese in response, but a FULL Japanese edit would be fun! I don't have a 5.1 Japanese track on the discs I have, but if I ever come across one...
This. They speak in Japanese when he's not present, but switch since he doesn't speak Japanese. Would actually CREATE continuity issues to implement that change, not solve them.

I really with I could burn full Japanese subtitles for ALL Japanese dialogue, that would feel most natural to me for an English version. But the movie subtitles miss a ton of that dialogue and the Japanese only subtitles feel weird in what is translated and what is not.
I think it comes down to them choosing not to translate scenes where the dialogue is just a "background sound effects" rather than important character development. Same thing happens with American films released overseas subbed rather than dubbed, etc (still, it would be kinda cool to know what they're saying at those parts, but at the same time the work to implement that into a future release would probably be astronomical compared to the probably small payoff).

EDIT FOR ADDITIONAL CLARITY:
Specifically, the untranslated Japanese parts are probably spoken exposition at best (which has probably already been shown). Like a one word/one sentence "mail this please" or "go" as opposed to meaningful character revealing stuff. Like, that's usually all the parts they choose not to translate entail, sorry if that was unclear.

Last edited:
What I meant was that there are multiple scenes with Japanese people speaking English to each other which is unnatural.
I also think replacing Logan with the Japanese dub in certain scenes would be better, especially in the flashbacks and speaking with Japanese people.

Japanese blu ray is $7

Wolverine: Samurai (Amazon DVD Collection), Blu-ray https://amzn.asia/d/dSaLW9F

Also how about editing the pool scene so we just see Logan throw him out the window and he dies instead. I’d say the pool part was done for PG rating to be honest

Last edited:
I'm going to try to respond to multiple of these points the best I can...
What I meant was that there are multiple scenes with Japanese people speaking English to each other which is unnatural.
Yeah, but that's a choice Mangold went with. In certain scenes it kinda makes sense, because they're speaking in the presence of international business associates, but we already removed most of the scenes where this happens anyway.

I also think replacing Logan with the Japanese dub in certain scenes would be better, especially in the flashbacks and speaking with Japanese people.
Again, I think this would create multiple continuity issues. There is no evidence established that Logan knows Japanese, and there are in fact multiple scenes that explicitly state he DOESN'T know Japanese. In terms of being a prisoner of war, we see Yashida speak to him in English so there is some established reason for them to be able to communicate/understand each other (also generally consistent with POW camps that had English speaking prisoners).

Combined with the fact whoever voices Logan in the Japanese dub probably sounds nothing like Hugh Jackman, having him suddenly switch to Japanese (when the film explicitly states that he doesn't know the language) would probably create several continuity issues and be incredibly distracting.

Also how about editing the pool scene so we just see Logan throw him out the window and he dies instead. I’d say the pool part was done for PG rating to be honest
I understand why it comes across that way, but there is simply no strong evidence of that.
The MPAA generally doesn't consider someone dying offscreen like that to be an offense worth slapping an R-rating onto a film. Considering that ENTIRE interrogation scene is designed to be comedic rather than serious (not just the pool bit), it comes across as probably intentional. Like, that scene comes before an incredibly intense one, so having some comic levity beforehand flows better than immediately going from intense back to intense.

I wanna be clear, none of this is said to try and invalidate you.
We just think most people are fine with the restoration as is, and at a certain point some of your recommendations sound like they just conflict with the very intent of the edit (re-integrating Mangold's ideas, not implementing several subjective ideas of our own). Not to say any of your opinions are wrong, but at the end of the day understand that no edit can please everybody. Hope that makes sense.

Hello, everyone!
Me and Keo have a very special Project Proposal we'd like to announce...

After some discussion, me and Keo have decided -- if there's enough interest in one -- we'd like to develop a burnable .iso Blu-Ray for this edit, with custom menus, as a Version 3.0 release. It's honestly how I wanted to release this edit from the getgo, but the technical obstacle and other setbacks made me abandon it altogether. This is definitely an undertaking to do; namely because there's very little available software for Blu-Ray authoring to begin with, especially for Mac, especially with Windows authoring software emulators no longer being supported for modern Macs, especially with limited freeware capabilities, and especially with paidware fetching in the range of "unaffordable."

So making this is definitely going to be an undertaking, let it not be misunderstood. Consequently, any insight or advice from editors who have experience authoring .iso files with menus for their edits would be vastly appreciated. Also as a result, if we do this, it would definitely be the final version of "The James Mangold Restoration" released. The difficulties aside, I just feel it would really add something special to the experience of this edit. I was always going for something very similar in spirit to Kino/Criterion style restoration, even complete with a "restoration" introduction similar to those releases. If there had been no difficulty or learning-curve back when I started this edit 4 years ago, this is how V1.0 would have likely been released. Because of the level of difficulty, I'd also be willing to post any insights/behind-the-scenes information while making said .iso that could be of useful reference to future editors the same way I did for advanced/professional color-correction and re-grading.

So what do you say, fan-editors?
Is this something you'd be interested in having for this edit?

i haven’t watched this edit yet, been out of town and need to download v2, but based on the cutlists and my love of Logan, I can honestly say I’ll almost certainly love this edit and would loveto burn it and add it next to M4’s Hobbit edit and Finest Hour, the dunkirk fanedit (the only edits I have burned currently). So I’d love to see an iso version! And I love the menu design so far!

Hello, everyone.
Sorry for the lack of updates on the V3.0 Blu-Ray, wanted to wait until I had some updates.

After consulting a well-known fan-preservationist online (who will remain anonymous, since he's busy enough with restorations/rarely takes requests as is), I've managed to find a few different potential options for softwares that could be used to create the .iso for this project. Will get started soon!

Hello, everyone.
After some consultation and looking around, I'm planning on using Tmpgenc Authoring Works to create the .iso for this thing (It's a Windows software, so I also plan on running it with Parallels). After exporting the various raw elements needed, the bulk of the work should take place next week.

Back
Top Bottom