• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

James Mangold's "THE WOLVERINE" - A Silver Screen Samurai Restoration

Baenwort

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Awesome news as I love it when fanedits go to the extra mile to make a quality disc release.

It's one of the few things I haven't liked about the HD era of fanedits is that editors rarely take the time to create a disc edition.

Silver Screen Samurai

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Awesome news as I love it when fanedits go to the extra mile to make a quality disc release.

It's one of the few things I haven't liked about the HD era of fanedits is that editors rarely take the time to create a disc edition.
To be slightly fair, there's very little available to most faneditors in terms of authoring software.

Unlike editing, color-correction, and sound-mixing, high quality disc-authoring softwares are still mostly privatized and only available to the wealthiest. What freeware used to be available has been largely discontinued and what remains is incompatible with most computers, and doesn't have most of the options available with high quality releases (such as custom menus, special features pages, chapters, audio/subtitle setup, etc).

Even getting the softwares I'm using for this up and running is an undertaking, as I'm essentially trying to run a Hydron Supercollider on a potato. Even then, I'm only going to have access to both softwares just long enough to make and troubleshoot this .iso before their free trial runs out, because they run on the expensive side. Aside from all of that, there is not a single high-quality authoring software that is economically affordable to the average fan-editor.

Not trying to go on a rant, let alone accuse you of intentional rudeness, but it would be wise to keep this in mind when considering the lack of a dedicated disc release from most fan-editors.

Baenwort

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I still use TMPGEnc Authoring Works myself for making my own basic disc editions. It never looks as nice as I've seen produced by actual artists but given my lack of creativity (Damn it Jim, I'm an engineer! Not a...) I at least get a functional disc out of it.

I suppose that is one advantage of being primarily a Windows and FreeBSD household. It sounds like getting software that does niche things is harder on Apple?

I don't take it as a accusation. It comes across as frustration on a sore spot.

I'd presumed it was mainly because nearly everyone has moved to using PLEX/Emby/Jellyfin and if someone had a extra day or two they would put the time into making a trailer or a making of feature instead of a disc edition. For me it is a complaint similar to the one I make about the lack of physical media releases for more and more TV shows and even some movies. :(

Eriol

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Will the "ISO" v3.0 update differ in cuts as well from v2.0 or it will be a functional/feature update only.

Silver Screen Samurai

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Will the "ISO" v3.0 update differ in cuts as well from v2.0 or it will be a functional/feature update only.
There will also be some minor technical changes and improvements, mostly in terms of sound design.
Specifically, speaking as a professional editor, one thing I wanted this edit to do was match professional volume levels on official Blu-Ray releases, since a lot of fanedits don't actually do that. Since it's the wild wild west, and different studios mix their Blu-Rays at vastly different max-loudness levels, we weren't really able to do that before now.

In my opinion, these few changes will be tiny but mighty, constituting the best possible version of this edit.
(Will update with a cutlist of what's been added/changed soon)

Silver Screen Samurai

Reaction score
Trophy Points
(V3.0 PROGRESS UPDATE 9/28/22):
Happy to report that Parallels and TMPGEnc Authoring Works have been installed and operate successfully, and the main playback files have been successfully imported into a project. Not at menu creation just yet, but will probably get there tomorrow. Thusfar, the following assets are imported:
  • Video Playback (MP4/H.264, 35.69 Mbits)
  • English Audio (Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound)
  • English Audio (Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo Sound)
  • English Subtitles (Japanese Dialogue)
  • English Subtitles (Deaf and Hard of Hearing)
Since this is meant to emulate Criterion/Kino style releases, the font for the subtitles are Roboto (closest free alternative to Helvetica) with a 1-inch border.

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm so proud of you and @Wakeupkeo for getting this out for all to see. To the former, after reading through your exhaustive, heavy-hearted June 27 post, I understand your reasoning for relinquishing control of this project over to another experienced faneditor. While we, for safety purposes, can't possibly know the full extent of your struggles (and to tell you the truth, a part of me doesn't want to know what almost led you to your demise, and that's probably for the best), some of us have certainly had tough times in the past. We're none too different from each other.

I hope you'll find a place of solitude and comfort in the next chapter of your life, and whatever stood in your way these past few years shall never perturb you again. With Hugh Jackman ready to suit up for a road trip with the Merc with a Mouth in two years' time, this project will no doubt gain relevance and value as we experience first-hand what James Mangold originally had in mind.

Perhaps Fox's X-Men really had it going, moreso than the MCU of today. It's a shame Dark Phoenix and The New Mutants — and to an extent, the Disney merger — squandered its potential. Some of us are fearing how Kevin Feige and the minds at Marvel Studios will bring these legendary mutants to our screens in their own shared universe. Personally, my money's on the Fantastic Four. But I have high hopes that DP3 will turn the tides so long as it doesn't mitigate the impact of Logan's canonical exit from this beloved franchise.

The next ten years are going to be wild. Let's make the most of them.

As for you, Wakeupkeo… good on ya, pal. 👍

Last edited:

Darth Kermit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can’t wait to see the ISO! I just got around to finally printing out artwork for some other fanedits I burned, so I’m excited to get this one in a nice presentation

Silver Screen Samurai

Reaction score
Trophy Points
(V3.0 PROGRESS UPDATE 9/30/22):
Thusfar, all files have been successfully imported, and audio/subtitle functionality works.
As of right now, Japanese translations and 5.1 Audio are automatically on by default upon disc launch.

So far, both the Chapters menu and Special Features menu have been completed and are work correctly. The only software limitations are that menu screens can only be 30 seconds, so they will be slightly shorter than they are in the demos (but mostly the same). Also, because of TMPGEnc's minimum menu requirements, there will now also be additional audio and subtitle setup menus (as well as a popup menu during playback, which also controls chapters).

The only area giving me trouble right now is the main menu, but thankfully it looks like one I'll be able to solve. TMPGEnc authoring works will allow you to change your menu layout for individual menus (without erasing/affecting the other ones you've already built, which means I won't lose a bunch of progress), so it's a matter of creating a Top Menu layout that lets the disc play the film AND reach audio/subtitle setup. Right now, the disc will only let you play the film after going to the chapter menu, and you can only reach the audio/subtitle setup from the chapter menus. A bit tricky, but solvable.

The bulk of next week's work will be to get the main menu layout determined, then built as designed in the demo.

Silver Screen Samurai

Reaction score
Trophy Points
EDIT: I've become aware it might still be possible to setup audio/subtitle in the main menu, by downloading more templates from TMPGEnc's website. Will try that and report back before declaring a main menu setup dead ("Play Movie" will still function like a "Play All" button, though).

(V3.0 PROGRESS UPDATE 10/3/22):
Because of limitations in TMPGEnc Authoring Works menu layout options, I've had to redesign the main menu/playback slightly.

Specifically, TMPGEnc allows you to have "chapter selection for Track 1" (The Movie) "chapter selection for track 2" (Special Features) and "Play All" buttons in your top menu, but no ability to just play the Movie by itself WITHOUT the special features. So it's possible "Play Movie" will just also include the special features at the end, but I'm assuming that's not something anybody here particularly minds right? Let me know if I'm wrong.

Also, again due to limitations, there's a good chance I may have to change it so you can no longer setup audio and subtitle from the main menu (however you'll still be able to do it in the popup menu). The reason for this is that you can only place audio/subtitles buttons in the chapter menu and NOT the main menu, which... seems like a really poor design and sloppy layout to me. Is this a limitation anybody here has a significant problem with? Let me know via a poll:

-- If you're okay with only having a popup menu for audio/subtitles, and no main menu button, react with (y)
-- If you're not okay only having a popup menu for audio/subtitles, and need an additional button (only accessible in chapters menu), react with (n)

Last edited:

Silver Screen Samurai

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello everyone.
I'm afraid I have some rather bad news. Due to limitations in TMPGEnc Authoring Works, it will not be possible to create the Blu-Ray as originally designed in the demos you saw earlier. Other softwares could've allowed me to do it, but they are way too complex for an editor to be able to use (as they're designed primarily for programmers) so even I don't have the professional know-how to use them. Aside from that, I would also just have to start the entire project over from scratch and abandon hours of work I've already done, and I'm already past the point of no return of realistically being able to do that.

So I have to present you with two possible options, and I'm afraid neither one of them is good.
Nevertheless, react accordingly to place your votes:

(y)= No audio/subtitle options available in main menu (but available in popup menu)
(n)= No special features included on the disc (so no trailer or deleted scenes)

DirtyCop1036

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If audio and subtitles are available in the pop-up menu, It's enough for me. (y)

Editzilla

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are the special features about how the edit was made?

Eriol

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If audio and subtitles are available in the pop-up menu, It's enough for me. (y)

Fran_Garcia

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Audio and subtitles in the pop-up menu are good for me. đź‘Ť

Silver Screen Samurai

Reaction score
Trophy Points
(V3.0 PROGRESS UPDATE 10/8/22):
Happy to report, with the exception of the main menu, that all work on building the menus is completed. All that's left to do is build a new background for the main menu, since redesigning the layout for only three buttons means I now need to reposition the logo. After that, all that will be left to do is export the finished project, convert the folder to a .ISO (assuming I can't in-project), and split it into RARs. Without wanting to get ahead of myself, this is very realistically looking at a two days completion date.

As of right now the disc will also have (skippable) startup logos, a chapter menu with moving thumbnails, and a popup menu to select chapters and setup.

Top Bottom