• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: Unholy Edition

InfoDroid said:
especially since it was just a MacGuffin mainly for Young Indy to look for...
On Turner Classic Movies a few weeks ago, they had a little Hitchcock marathon and one thing they played was an episode of The Dick Cavett Show that he did, in which he explained in a nice amount of detail what a MacGuffin is. So I get it. Just sayin'. ;)

Also, while I fully approve of excising Young Indy, I think it'd be cute to include Phoenix in the cast tribute. He was the best part of the sequence, and this (along with the line about recovering property for the second time) would be a neat homage, imo.

I probably should have at least put an apology in the credits. LOL!

If you cry loud enough maybe the resident torrent guru will hear you....

AvP, where art thou? :p

And don't forget a credits tribute to the original Indiana! :)

InfoDroid said:
If you cry loud enough maybe the resident torrent guru will hear you....

AvP, where art thou? :p

¤cries out loud¤ like a child that want candy and dont get it and so on.....

This is a very bold edit, due mostly to ID leaving out the opening Young Indy sequence. This decision works well for those of us who didn't particularly care for it to begin with, and takes you right into the movie very quickly (Perhaps a little too quickly for some, but not much could be done about that.) His use of footage from the Perfect Storm is inspired and blends in very nicely with the Last Crusade footage. Nice job integrating the new credits, very slick.

All the little cuts he has made throughout are well done and serve their purpose. I especially liked the excising of the "No Ticket" bit (funny, but unnecessary) and the plane in the tunnel (not funny and unnecessary). It took some nads to cut out such memorable (for better or worse) pieces. Kudos.

The only real holes are 1) at the castle. How did they get in if it is a secret Nazi stronghold? Of course, given Spielberg's original solution, this one certainly can be forgiven. :) and 2) is during the attack on the German convoy. How and why did Marcus and Henry get into the tank?

There still one or two lines that could go (IMO), but other than a few minor qualms, this is a very fine edit. No audio / video issues, great presentation.

I'd say ID has achieved his intention with this fan-edit.

I give it a 4 of 5. Great work. ID is a fan-editor to watch out for, for sure.

Thanks for the review, JMB! :D

Let me address your two points:

1) Originally, I had kept the scene in the car with Indy saying "I'll think of something". But I didn't feel the info about the Brunwalds being famous art collectors had any relevance since the scene following it was deleted. I think we can just assume he found a way to sneak in like he always does. It's comparable to him showing up at the Nazi sub hideout in Raiders. A feat that to this day has not been explained. Unless you buy the suggestion that he held his breath the whole way.

2) How Marcus and Henry got into the tank is a hole that was in the original movie. We don't see Marcus get placed into the tank and we assume Henry sneaks in but we never see how he got onto the thing. Then they go into their goofy little frat routine or whatever it was about "recussitation". Had to lose that part for my own peace of mind. So, what I did was try to make it look like Henry was captured outside (shown off screen) and brought into the tank by the Nazis. Whether he accidentally got captured or intentionally gave himself up as a ploy to get in to save Marcus is left unclear.

Anyway, that's my thinking behind it. Of course, as they say about bad jokes, "if you have to explain it, it doesn't work."

Thanks again for the great review! And to the people who have seen this, don't forget to cast your vote in this month's True Fanedit contest. I need your support! I'm up against some good ones, so please vote!

"Yes, we can!" :lol:

--ID

No problem ID, it was fun to watch. I figured the holes were inherent. Definitely an improvement over the original in my book!

I'm planning on watching your Temple of Doom soon, looking forward to that one too. And of course, your Batman edit as well :)

Background

I thought I would try a different type of review by stating my preconceptions before I watch InfoDroid's Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Unholy Edition.

As I see it everybody loved the first incarnation of Indiana Jones. The second was slightly annoying but had some great moments. When the third exploded everyone was very happy. The on-screen chemistry between Ford and Connery was undeniable and the film itself was funny and exciting. The less said about Indy 4 the better.

From what I can remember of The Last Crusade there was not much in it that I found out of place. I enjoyed the opening with young Indy very much and reveled in the origin of his fear of snakes and the cut he inflicts on himself because of his unfamiliarity with the whip. Yes, it is crowd pleasing formulaic stuff but I liked it none the less. The ME109 flying through the tunnel was funny when I saw it in the cinema (I was younger then) and Indy getting an autograph from the Der Führer was inspired. This movie is pure escapism so there is room for overt humor and a little ridiculousness.

I would hardly have considered Indiana Jones The Last Crusade a film that necessitated a FanEdit, as it worked on almost every level. Yes, a few cheesy lines here and there could be lost but just for that, a FanEdit seems pointless, if not a little Unholy. Indy 4 is another matter.

The Review

The opening of Infodroid's Fanedit is a little shaky from an audio point of view. Storm sounds almost explode over the studio logo. Some black and a slow audio fade-up would have worked much better and feel less rushed.

We hear the famous Indiana Jones theme. The joining of the quieter and loader Indy theme is out of rhythmic syncopation, the loader theme comes in a good beat too early.

The logo fades into a boat on a stormy sea, the insertion of shots from a perfect Storm are masterfully done, and we are greeted with our first action sequence but it is not really an action sequence, it is an opening title sequence. The problem with this is that the titles themselves are very distracting. In more than three instances we get a close-up establishing the crucifix that Indian Jones is risking his life for but in each case the object is obscured by a title.

The original gives us two action-packed sequences in succession, so when we come to the following expository scenes we can relax and take-in the plot. Here, the set-up and expository scenes come directly after the titles, so the pacing of the FanEdit falls a little flat. A build-up occurs again when the original material is left relatively untouched.

The pacing of the action sequence with the ME109 fighter planes is slightly off, not because of the removal of the plane diving into the tunnel but because of the selection and positioning of the shots. It left the impression of being abridged.

There are some continuity issues, for example we suddenly find Connery inside the Nazi Tank without establishing how he got captured.

Finally, the end credits feel awkward as they fade out to black a few times then fade in again.

Unfortunately, I don't think many of the choices made for this FanEdit improved upon the original material.

That said, there are no hard audio or visual cuts and the quality of picture is very good. The DVD menu is simple and well presented.

okay, we've got it, RBM, you want a torrent. Please stop to repeat the request. Thank you. Let's rather discuss the fanedit.

boon23 said:
okay, we've got it, RBM, you want a torrent. Please stop to repeat the request. Thank you. Let's rather discuss the fanedit.

ok point taken

But how can i in anyway discuss the fanedit of this movie when i cant get my hands on it in anyway?
baah !

I liked the end credits, I liked the beginning.
The movie itself had a somewhat nice flow to it. Some of the over the top action could have been reduced, but there is only so much you can do. It was a well crafted fanedit. Good video, good audio. I had no issues whatever with the plot. Unfortunately I was just mildly entertained. I think this movie has just passed its best days for me.

FINALLY, got around to watching this last night. And, I was once again pleasantly entertained. Thanks InfoDroid. I am a fan of the original, but the goofy Marcus always bothered me a little. The unholy edition is a nice companion to the original.

DVD layout was great, the video and audio are beautiful. I loved most of the cuts. The plane scene seemed a bit choppy to me. All of a sudden we have the landing with the blown up tail. I think that some of that could have been shown, but it still works

so, well done!!! and thanks :)

Congrats on the award!

Yes, congrats, ID! :) Now, have you given any more thought to a Raiders edit? It would just be nice to have a full ID Indy set is all. (along with KotCS) Heh heh.

Thanks, Guys. I appreciate it.

Since this won, I think I'm going to attempt to put up a torrent for this on my own. Is it complicated?

Anyway, Ripplin, all of my other Indy edits are being compared to Raiders as a standard. I think I've decided that it would be hypocritical of me to edit anything out of what I and many others consider to be a perfect film, just for the sake of doing it. What I can do though is make a DVD cover for Raiders to match the rest of the InfoDroid collection.

Back
Top Bottom