• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: Unholy Edition

InfoDroid said:
Anyway, Ripplin, all of my other Indy edits are being compared to Raiders as a standard. I think I've decided that it would be hypocritical of me to edit anything out of what I and many others consider to be a perfect film, just for the sake of doing it. What I can do though is make a DVD cover for Raiders to match the rest of the InfoDroid collection.

You have chose.... ....wisely :-D

I get what you're saying. Just figured maybe if there were some extra scenes that could be used to do an extended version (are there any goodies I should know about?), maybe that would be worth doing.

At any rate, it's cool that you've done the two so far. I have watched ToD and really enjoyed it. I plan to watch TLC very soon. And KotCS comes out on the 14th, apparently. You had said you're going to tackle that one as well, right?

Ripplin said:
I get what you're saying. Just figured maybe if there were some extra scenes that could be used to do an extended version (are there any goodies I should know about?), maybe that would be worth doing.

At any rate, it's cool that you've done the two so far. I have watched ToD and really enjoyed it. I plan to watch TLC very soon. And KotCS comes out on the 14th, apparently. You had said you're going to tackle that one as well, right?

As far as I'm aware, Spielberg rarely releases any deleted material for any of his films. Not even Crystal Skull will include any additional material. So, none exists (that has been released) for Raiders that I know about. The only thing I'd really want to do to Raiders is add the Rifftrax audio option, but that's not allowed here...so...that won't be happening. Aside from adding the Lucasfilm logo, I can't think of one significant change I'd want to make.

And yes, I plan to begin work on Crystal Skull on Tuesday the 14th.

Boon wrote:
I found the fight with the tank and the horse still too long and when I watched it I thought "Hmmm, I wonder what people were complaining about for Indy 4, this is just the same."
'Fraid I can't agree, Boon. The sequence is long, but it's mostly grounded in reality, whereas Skull's jungle chased bored me because it was so flagrantly impossible. (I still stand by my prior suggestions, though.) :)

I'm glad to see you're feeling well enough to edit again, ID!

Are you still working on Crystal Skull, ID? I'm still catching up on things after reformatting and the laziness I got into before and after I did it. :p

When I left it, (last September or so) I was halfway finished with it. But, I've had no real ambition to go back to it. The biggest problem, I guess, is that I don't really have a passion for the movie. At best, it's an exercise in turd-polishing...it's hard to see a way to really improve it significantly. I should pick it back up and do my best to finish it up though...to complete the collection, if nothing else. I had some ideas that other people don't seem to be employing. So, it may turn out to be interesting for some.

--ID

I thought that, particularly as Spence's cut seems to be in the space between spaces, you might be waiting for Jones1899's firstling, which would be very sporting of you. :wink:

Still, given the continuing interest in SW prequel edits, I think it's fair to assume that most of us would be delighted to see your best shot at it.

(Bumping: some humble suggestions, the latter of which, I modestly suggest, could go a long way towards justifying's the movie's all-around goofiness. Your idea does sound gripping - very much like Once Upon a Time in Mexico - only quibble I might have with it might be that it'd be too similar to your Temple intro, but I'd love to see it, and decide then.) :)

InfoDroid said:
At best, it's an exercise in turd-polishing...
True! Oh, my bad, you were talking about Skull, not the (non-Attack of the Phantom PT). :)

Whether your edit of Skull would best that of Temple, I have no idea... but surely the theatrical Skull is better than the theatrical Temple? :wink:

Gaith said:
Whether your edit of Skull would best that of Temple, I have no idea... but surely the theatrical Skull is better than the theatrical Temple? :wink:

Is it? I'm not so sure. At least Temple didn't have watered-down characters, a convoluted plot and zero sense of peril. It suffered from too much rather than not enough. It's easy to cut when you've got too much...not enough isn't quite as easy.

A good point has been made in Jones1899's thread about the climax of the film. Indy has no involvement whatsoever in what happens. He doesn't have anything to do. It was really bizarre how it was written... How do you fix fundamental problems at the conception stage like that through editing?

It seems like all I can do is make it slightly less painful to watch.

I don't have the DVD of Crystal Skull, so I'm just wondering, how is it deleted/alternate scene-wise? Anything worth inserting or replacing into the movie?

There's zero, unfortunately. Spielberg never includes deleted scenes.

InfoDroid said:
When I left it, (last September or so) I was halfway finished with it. But, I've had no real ambition to go back to it.
I know exactly what you mean. I'm probably at the 50% mark too. Problem is, some scenes are fully cut and polished, but there's a bunch of stuff that I just can't figure out how to go about. ...or if I can even be bothered. :roll:

InfoDroid said:
Is it? I'm not so sure. At least Temple didn't have watered-down characters, a convoluted plot and zero sense of peril.
All good points, but for all its sins, Skull maintains a more or less consistent lighthearted, nostalgic tone, whereas Temple veers wildly and painfully between goofy slapstick and disturbingly gruesome. So, my theatrical vote goes Skull, any day. ;)

InfoDroid said:
It suffered from too much rather than not enough. It's easy to cut when you've got too much...not enough isn't quite as easy.
A good point has been made in Jones1899's thread about the climax of the film. Indy has no involvement whatsoever in what happens. He doesn't have anything to do. It was really bizarre how it was written... How do you fix fundamental problems at the conception stage like that through editing?
I see what you mean... I suspect that the central debate is about tone. You wrote "my goal is to make the movie feel much more like it belongs in the Indiana Jones world." But while Temple, as you've shown, can be Raiders-ified, Skull might not have that potential. I've always thought its tone was irrevocably light, which is why I inveighed against tweaking the colors: the golden tones suited the levity, and I've always thought that trying to force a darker, grittier palette on it would just make the non-Raiderness of it all stick out even more.

If I were editing Skull, I'd do my best to curtail the worst excesses (Tarzan-ing, the endless, Terminator-ish fight fight) while leaving the tone more or less as is. And I'd use the non-Raiderness as an excuse to have some fun. (That's why I suggested shamelessly hacking out the jungle chase; it didn't fit in the overall movie anyway.) In my Mummy Returns edit, I'll be doing a similar trick: because the franchise is based on Fraser's goofiness, I've felt free to yank out nearly the whole bus chase by dropping in an intertitle saying "The tumult rages throughout London!" And I think the movie benefits from such overt meddling, because at that point in my edit, another action sequence, however finessed, would just be oppressive, while the intertitle mirrors such Mummy-esque self-referential humor as Jonathan's great (but cut) line "where is all this written?"

So, maybe the best way to approach Skull is to treat as more of a Mummy movie than a Raiders one. :wink:

Uncanny Antman said:
InfoDroid said:
When I left it, (last September or so) I was halfway finished with it. But, I've had no real ambition to go back to it.
I know exactly what you mean. I'm probably at the 50% mark too. Problem is, some scenes are fully cut and polished, but there's a bunch of stuff that I just can't figure out how to go about. ...or if I can even be bothered. :roll:

And Indy IV edit by Uncanny Antman... Now THAT is exciting !
I truly hope you'll fin some time some day to finish it, because you're an incredibly talented editor. :)

If you're on the fence about finishing the edit as a whole, ID, I for one'd love to see your intercutting of the FBI and Hangar 51, if you'd care to youtube it. :wink: :)

That's a good idea, Gaith. I might just do that pretty soon. Why not, right?

I still need to watch the edit that this thread was started for! ;) I've had it for a while, but keep forgetting to watch it. I should do that soon. It'll be a good reminder for when I play the Last Crusade levels on Lego Indiana Jones. (I'm in the middle of Temple now)

Yes, Ripplin. Do that. :) Then let me know what you thought.

Back
Top Bottom