• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Vinyl Collections

Anyone has first issue of some Beatles album?

I still have all my rave records from the early 90's. 1991.92 & 93 were golden years. I've looked up online how much my records are and a lot of them for worth a bob or two. You can't beat the old vinyl days :)

Just wanted to hear vinyl or master track transfers how the albums supposed to sound

24/96 lossless is the closest you'll get to vinyl quality and warmth without actually putting the record on the deck.

LOL... vinyl can't even reproduct 12bit audio - let alone the 16bit found on CD... it isn't the medium, but the mastering processes why folks equate vinyl > CD. don't get me wrong - i LOVE vinyl, but for aesthetic reasons - artwork, nostalgia, etc.

I love having the 12" x 12" versions of my favorite CD artwork, I tell ya what! :) I've actually bought a bunch of stuff on vinyl I already have on CD. (Huevos Rancheros, a long-time favorite surf band of mine from Calgary)

joebshmoe said:
LOL... vinyl can't even reproduct 12bit audio - let alone the 16bit found on CD... it isn't the medium, but the mastering processes why folks equate vinyl > CD. don't get me wrong - i LOVE vinyl, but for aesthetic reasons - artwork, nostalgia, etc.
12bit audio? lol, maybe in signal-to-noise in bass frequencies (more mechanic rumble than music).
I agree about mastering process. That's why I buy time after time some new album. Mostly only one different between CDs and LPs is loudness limiter.
Vinyl has one more advantage imho - frequency range.

vinyl DOES have significantly better frequency range - the problem is most adults can only discern a fraction of even the range of CD (i.e. useless) - which is why compressed audio does so well.

Compressed audio is popular because of small filesizes and portable devices. Nothing else. When higher bitrate is touted by marketers as important - i.e. bluray hype (DTS-HD in particular) - people will claim to not only hear a difference (which is mostly in the volume level, btw), but they say they actually care about it as well.

Even I, who both hear and care about the difference, use compressed audio because of the convenience factor. (I use high bitrate vorbis or lame-mp3, at least.)

On topic:
Mostly the difference between vinyl and CD is about mastering. And with quality of the pressing in the case of vinyl. Those who claim that CDs sound awful compared to vinyl and hi-res digital should listen to the DCC CD edition of Joni Mitchell's "Court & Spark" before they condemn a whole medium. I've still not heard any evidence telling me that DVD-audio and SACD are useful upgrades from that. Mostly audiophile digital is mastered with care - that's why it sounds pretty good. Not because of extra bit depth or better frequency range. 24bit/192kHz seems like trying to make print material in 1200 dpi resolution (for comparison: glossy magazines print just fine in 300 dpi, newspapers often use 200).

In real terms, vinyl often outperforms CDs because of mastering. That's why I have a lot of LPs and singles, because I don't think they sound inherently better. At best, they sound equal to what a well-mastered CD would sound like. (But well-mastered CDs are few and far between, so it's mostly a theoretical question.)

An often overlooked problem - and a much bigger problem - with older releases (mostly a problem with vinyl) is the MIX used. No duophonic/fake stereo vinyl release of The Beach Boys or Elvis is ever going to sound as good as the mono release on CD, even though the mastering on the new Beach Boys releases is too trebly and loud. Also, stereo mixes are WAY too often used when the mono mix is obviously superior. Compare a random new Motown collection (which uses new or vintage stereo (re)mixes) with the "Hitsville USA" box to hear for yourself.

I like to have it overkill, at at least a level above the digital equivalent of the original quality, then scale it down from that. That way you can be sure nothing's lost.

</audiophile>

Do you guys have much vinyl in different colors? I didn't until recently when I got red, green and yellow albums from the same band. (Huevos Rancheros) U.K. pressing only, despite them living in Calgary. :?

Oh! I do have a few more I keep forgetting about. I still have the ollllllld ALF records from Burger King. Haha. "Take Me ALF to the Ball Game" is the only one I can think of right now.

you audiophiles are hopeless. there are no facts to support anything you are saying, but yeah... keep at it.

Ghostcut said:
I like to have it overkill, at at least a level above the digital equivalent of the original quality, then scale it down from that. That way you can be sure nothing's lost.

</audiophile>
The dithering process involved in "scaling down" is not perfect even when done right. Some of the best CDs I own that are from analogue sources are actually mastered straight to 16bit/44.1kHz. Steve Hoffman, for one, prefers it that way when mastering redbook CDs. The whole idea that you'll lose information if you don't use the highest possible resolution in the transfer (before downsampling/dithering/decimating to 16/44.1) sounds like such a nice common sense argument, but I believe you can prove it wrong without breaking a sweat. (Editing is a different story.)

Joebshmoe, what exactly are you referring to now? I'll also be interested to know where on earth you got the 12bit figure from. (And to avoid any confusion: I'm a digital fanboy, and only buy vinyl because CDs often happen to sound like shit.)

it is related to the limits of vinyl - the physical limitations of the medium (PVC, molecules, needle, grooves, etc.) which influences the dynamic range (~70db in pristine conditions).

and that is just theoretical. realistically (i.e. everyone not insane audiophiles) are hearing much less as equipment can be limiting (which also impacts CD playback!)

of course you also have distortion, damage, dust, wear, elasticity, needle, motor, swingarm getting in the way of the listening experience, so yeah - i'll take a DAC any day.

...buy there is something about listening to old blues on vinyl that is magic :)

Really old blues should be listened to on CD, though. 78 needledrops and cylinder remasters have enough analogue shellac soul, you don't need to add even more with modern (vinyl) means.

no9f6o.jpg
4d1veiu.jpg

I agree with the rest of what you're saying. It seems, however, that hardly anyone knows how to master for digital. Even a lot of modern releases sound better on vinyl because the analogue mastering engineer was the only one who knew what he was doing. Also, because of the inherent limitations of vinyl it can mask digital compression artifacts. The worst-sounding recording ever, Sleater-Kinney's The Woods, was made slightly better on vinyl because the CD reproduced all the gruesome detail of Dave Fridmann's awesomely bad digi-clipping so faithfully you're likely to get a splitting headache. The vinyl, on the other hand, masked the clipping noises.

That's of course not a case for the superiority of vinyl in absolute terms - quite the opposite, in fact. It's just a case for vinyl as what's often the best solution in real-life terms.

^Yeah... I made a big thread about it at another forum.

My fave example: This is the waveform of a song from The Red Hot Chili Peppers' Stadium Arcadium on CD (mastered by Vlado Meller) and vinyl (mastered by Hoffman & Gray) compared side by side:

Look at it and weep (or just click for bigger image). The vinyl version gets progressively louder during the course of the song - which is the whole point; it's called energy and dynamics - while the CD just lurches on in headache-inducing noise mode with no clearly defined anything, not even the noise is clearly defined, and with no noticeable increase in loudness either (it seems as loud in the beginning).

(I don't much like RHCP, but they make a good point since their CDs are so consistently awful. The White Stripes and several other bands make comparable cases.)

Back
Top Bottom