• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Vinyl Collections

i used to find all sorts of great vinyl - i'd troll cheap places and grab a great find and go trade it in for a bunch of records i actually wanted :)

hell, you gonna need two lifetimes to hear a percentage of it...

besides that...i want it!

ThrowgnCpr said:
i was thinking the same thing!!

:)

you know, one day when i finally have my big mansion there?ll gonna be this huge complex where i have stored this baby of a treasure. of course there will be fancy record and cd and 8track players everywhere. you just pull it out and listen to it...

just wait...

8)

CDs cut out tons of important information when they (attempt to) recreate a sound wave (wave being the important word here).

Just imagine the edge of a circle as depicted by mspaint (jagged edges approximating a circles edge), and then imagine the edge of a large format (film) picture of a perfect sphere. That is a rough estimation of what CDs do to recreate a sound. There simply isn't enough room to fit all of the actual data on the sound wave/disc, so the mastering approximates, and your ears will fill in (most of) the rest. I've researched this extensively, and it's just a matter of fact.

Now, if you take a sub-par record player, and a beat up copy of Physical Graffiti, it's going to sound shittier than any CD. However, if you get a nice Rega record player, a PROPER preamp and a nice clean copy of any album, it's going to kick the shit out of every CD, every time. You have to be willing to pay more to get all the benefits out of an LP.

Now, that's not to say that a Blu-Ray sized disc couldn't hold enough information to equal an LP in sound, but do you think the industry is going to move to that? They forced CDs on us to be able to charge more for the technology, and promised that the prices would go down. They never did go down until the (inferior sounding) mp3 came out.

It's all a matter of convenience, and lack of choices. I have CDs that I have enjoyed for years, but when I finally tracked down the LP version, I was literally blown away (save a few that were poorly mastered "vanity" LPs) by how much better it sounded.

Heinrich said:
ThrowgnCpr said:
i was thinking the same thing!!

:)

you know, one day when i finally have my big mansion there?ll gonna be this huge complex where i have stored this baby of a treasure. of course there will be fancy record and cd and 8track players everywhere. you just pull it out and listen to it...

just wait...

8)

can I move in? :smile:

I have a few LPs and CDs to compare with...

toomuch.jpg

thats awesome reave!!! ...and I see some of my DVD covers on that shelf ;)

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with my record collection. However, moving time SUUUUUUUCCCKS.'

By the way, can someone loan me 3 million dollars? I'll give you 1 million records for it.

I want that ebay seller to count each album in front of me.

To joebshmoe mp3s do shave bits of info from soundwaves when compressing and even when recording in studio it cannot be recorded with the same dynamic range as analog.

To Gyro rather than wav files you can convert them to flac, shn or ape formats which are all lossless formats which take up less HDD space.

I love my vinyl. Especially my original Paul's Boutique and Monk Plays Duke Ellington (not to mention the Stereolab tour singles).

ehh not, and if i do what does it make any difference to you?
you only trust numbers anyway...
and all my points are relevant, its you who cant see the logic dude....

I think the entire point of my argument was that I don't care about numbers. I like the different sound you get out of an LP - even a slightly imperfect one.

Let's put it this way: Even Pixar (the gods of all things digital, meant to be played only on a DLP projector) used analog tape to record the score of The Incredibles because it sounds better for capturing the brass-y sound of trombones & trumpets.

I don't care about the waveform arguments. The stylus won't perfectly fit into the groove anyway, and the CD is digital and therefore not perfect either (perhaps not perceptible at a certain resolution of digital audio, but also imperfect), but they still both sound different. And one of them is more pleasant.

I've finally been able to do direct comparisons of high quality audio I'm familiar with now that I finally picked up 2006 remastered CD of Boston and found a copy of Boston - Walk On on LP. In the case of both of these albums, the CDs truly do sound fantastic, but when you play the LPs, it's an even more amazing aural experience. It doesn't matter which one of them is actually closer to reality (especially since Boston doesn't care much about reproducing reality itself - there are just three people playing more than ten individual tracks on almost every song); what matters is the end result.

I know I'm late and he doesn't care, but I felt like saying that.

To Gyro rather than wav files you can convert them to flac, shn or ape formats which are all lossless formats which take up less HDD space.

I know, and I have some .FLAC stored. I don't have any method of playing it back flawlessly though. I always get little hiccups or digital sounding skips (those are the worst), so even when I have the .FLAC versions, I'll run them all through Audacity and create two .WAVs for each side of the album as it would appear on LP. It sounds just a tad better to me with my playback capabilities, though that may just be the lack of any skipping to take out of the music on each track. At the end of the day, sound is just what my brain perceives anyway, so my somewhat eccentric habbits really do help - me at the very least.

EDIT: By the way, I have that Star Wars soundtrack from 1977 on LP. The poster that comes with it is laminated and on my wall. The TIE Fighters have square solar panels instead of hexagons, the X-Wings are a bit too box-like, and there are three or four YT-1300 freighters that don't quite look right either. It's awesome.

GyRo567 said:
By the way, I have that Star Wars soundtrack from 1977 on LP. The poster that comes with it is laminated and on my wall. The TIE Fighters have square solar panels instead of hexagons, the X-Wings are a bit too box-like, and there are three or four YT-1300 freighters that don't quite look right either. It's awesome.
Any chance we could see it? I have the same LP, but not the poster. Sounds interesting!

I didn't even know that here's thread about vinyls
After years of dreaming finally bought turntable
old Tesla NC-500 with Ortofon OMB5 and Terratec PhonoPreAmp iVinyl (MG pre-amp with 96/24 converter). Hopefully i can later buy ortofon tube pre-amp)
Few weeks before i bought 3 vinyls in price about 50$
vinylq.jpg

Richard Wright - Wet Dream - 1978 1st issue Germany
The Beatles - Abbey Road - 1969 1st issue Japan (AP-8815)
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here - 1976 2nd issue Germany

Where do you buy vinyls? I'm trying mostly to get 70s rock bands and quality classical recordings

Has anyone Riverside - Anno Domini High Definition album on LP?

Harman said:
Where do you buy vinyls?
For me, mostly thrift shops; Salvation Army, Goodwill, Value Village, etc... They usually charge $1 or less. And just because it's a thrift shop doesn't mean you can't find stuff in good shape. My copies of the Star Wars and 2001: A Space Odyssey look unplayed. Paid 25 cents a piece for them.

I got a bunch of records from my grandmother tonight. I just picked which ones I thought I'd like to hear. No Glenn Miller (b'oh!), but some Tommy Dorsey, lots of Pete Fountain...

and...

ha_whippedcream.jpg

Back
Top Bottom