• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

TM HOME VIDEO Presents "DREAM MANIAC"

To clarify, I didn't have a virus. I had trend micro ultimate protection and the people at best buy scanned it for viruses before it was pronounced dead. My computer stopped working because I had a problem with cpu, battery, ect., ect. Don't be worried :)

TM Productions said:
To clarify, I didn't have a virus. I had trend micro ultimate protection and the people at best buy scanned it for viruses before it was pronounced dead. My computer stopped working because I had a problem with cpu, battery, ect., ect. Don't be worried :)

That is certainly a relief to hear. In that case I will start downloading as soon as I clear up a little space on my hard drive, which I'm doing right now. I apologize for inferring that you might have uploaded an infected file(s). I didn't mean any offense by it. I've had the same problem, computer shutting down on its own at random times, happen to me once before and it was caused by a virus. I just wanted to be clear on the situation and avoid having to have the same thing happen to me again.

Frantic Canadian said:
That is certainly a relief to hear. In that case I will start downloading as soon as I clear up a little space on my hard drive, which I'm doing right now. I apologize for inferring that you might have uploaded an infected file(s). I didn't mean any offense by it. I've had the same problem, computer shutting down on its own at random times, happen to me once before and it was caused by a virus. I just wanted to be clear on the situation and avoid having to have the same thing happen to me again.

No prob. And please if any file is broken, just let me know but I'm pretty sure I checked all of them.

TM Productions said:
No prob. And please if any file is broken, just let me know but I'm pretty sure I checked all of them.

Will do. I'll start downloading it tomorrow. Any chance you could update your first post with a cut list and technical information?

Frantic Canadian said:
Will do. I'll start downloading it tomorrow. Any chance you could update your first post with a cut list and technical information?

Yes, compiling it now.

Just downloaded this and was about to watch it when I noticed something weird. I know you were going for the VHS look and therefore this would be in 4x3, but why are there black bars on the sides of the screen?

dreammaniacscreenshot.jpg

I have a non-widescreen monitor so the screen should be filled up with the movie, but this is how it shows up for me.

It's super duper 4:3. (Or he accidentally rendered it wrong.)

Frantic Canadian said:
:lol: Yeah, or it's in cell phone aspect ratio. :lol:

Oh, sorry. I thought I would letterbox it because most people have widescreen tvs, but I could make an animorphic version for you.

TM Productions said:
Oh, sorry. I thought I would letterbox it because most people have widescreen tvs,

Wouldn't that just make it even smaller on widescreen tv's? I mean if you were to watch a VHS tape or a full screen DVD on a 16x9 tv you'd get the black bars on the side, but it would fill up the screen on a 4x3 tv. This gives me black bars on the side, and a small one on top and the bottom as well, while watching on a 4x3 monitor. For some reason the top and bottom black bars aren't showing up when I take screenshots though. This shouldn't be the case. If it's showing up this small for me I can only imagine how much smaller it shows up for somebody with a 16x9 monitor or tv.

Frantic Canadian said:
Wouldn't that just make it even smaller on widescreen tv's? I mean if you were to watch a VHS tape or a full screen DVD on a 16x9 tv you'd get the black bars on the side, but it would fill up the screen on a 4x3 tv. This gives me black bars on the side, and a small one on top and the bottom as well, while watching on a 4x3 monitor. For some reason the top and bottom black bars aren't showing up when I take screenshots though. This shouldn't be the case. If it's showing up this small for me I can only imagine how much smaller it shows up for somebody with a 16x9 monitor or tv.

I guess I'll re-render it in anamorphic, wasn't thinking :p

TM Productions said:
I guess I'll re-render it in anamorphic, wasn't thinking :p

If you render it as anamorphic wouldn't that just stretch the picture? And since you're going for a VHS look shouldn't it just be rendered as fullscreen/4x3/1.33:1? If you want the full VHS feel/effect that is.

Frantic Canadian said:
If you render it as anamorphic wouldn't that just stretch the picture? And since you're going for a VHS look shouldn't it just be rendered as fullscreen/4x3/1.33:1? If you want the full VHS feel/effect that is.

This.

Frantic Canadian said:

I know, I edited it as 4x3, but rendered with a dvd architect template for NTSC Widescreen. It is originally edited in 4x3.

Then you should render in 4:3, the widescreen televisions will do the rest, otherwise the image is distorted and hard for the audience to look at. :)

To be honest, why simulate a 4:3 screen anyway, the widescreen televisions staring at you will kill the nostalgia vibe anyway... won't it? Personally, I wouldn't mind a 16:9 version with VHS graphics. I don't care about the aspect ratio, it's the edit's quality I'll be looking at :) If you say you'll make an edit in 4:3, and I can tell it is when I start watching it, you get your point for that. Other than that, all your ratings come from the edit itself anyway.

I'm glad to see some movement on this edit again... TM when you get it all sorted out I'd love to give it a pre-watch...

I'll watch this tonight and let you know if anything, besides the aspect ratio, needs to be fixed. Although judging from the work you did on your Friday The 13th edit I'm guessing that the aspect ratio is going to be the only thing that needs fixing. :)

Okay, so I just watched it, and I think you did a great job making us feel like we were watching an old VHS tape. Your TM Productions intro, the opening/end credits, the transition into/out of Nancy's dream in the tub really give you the feel that this was some low-budget, shot-on-VHS, straight-to-VHS movie. The downgrading of the picture quality and adding video noise also helped, and I thought the "rolling" of the video in that one scene and having the word "TRACKING" pop up was a nice touch. Aside from re-rendering in the proper aspect ratio I'd say the only thing you might want to fix is the end credits because they move along at a snail's pace.

approved.png

Note: Approved only valid if re-rendered in proper aspect ratio.

Frantic Canadian said:
Okay, so I just watched it, and I think you did a great job making us feel like we were watching an old VHS tape. Your TM Productions intro, the opening/end credits, the transition into/out of Nancy's dream in the tub really give you the feel that this was some low-budget, shot-on-VHS, straight-to-VHS movie. The downgrading of the picture quality and adding video noise also helped, and I thought the "rolling" of the video in that one scene and having the word "TRACKING" pop up was a nice touch. Aside from re-rendering in the proper aspect ratio I'd say the only thing you might want to fix is the end credits because they move along at a snail's pace.

approved.png

Note: Approved only valid if re-rendered in proper aspect ratio.

Thanks for your thoughts, it's been re-rendered. I'm going to make an avi and dvd, but the dvd will have no menus to make it feel like a vhs tape when you pop it in.

Back
Top Bottom