• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Thor : Love plus Thunder minus Comedy

So I upscaled to 8k and doubled the framerate in Topaz, then did this slowdown and zoom effect in resolve. I think it's interesting. As a concept it could work well, but still needs something else.
I like where this is going. Do we have a reverse shot of Thor reacting like something has mentally hit him, to place it right before the deleted scene? Otherwise it feels a bit too much like a memory flashback.

I like where this is going. Do we have a reverse shot of Thor reacting like something has mentally hit him, to place it right before the deleted scene? Otherwise it feels a bit too much like a memory flashback.
I think so. I can't completely recall his expression, but there is some reaction shot to something outrageous Zeus has said. I think that could serve well as a reaction shot.

Like Dwight said, the shot of Zeus like you have (perhaps even longer/slowed even more towards the end of the shot, then reverse shot on Thor, zoom in on him too (maybe repurpose a shot of his face from when his clothes were being blown off in the theatrical), then back to what you have, going into the "mental scene".

Then just needs some good sound effects to go with the zooms. I recommend checking out "Magical Slice 1" and "Magical Slice 3" and "Magical Whoosh Reverse 2" here, they're probably not quite right but look around the site, make sure to uncheck Preview Pro Content to only see the free stuff. https://soundscrate.com/magical.html

Maybe some sort of SFX during the transition would finish it off, even without it, this looks way better than the last version of this scene.

So I upscaled to 8k and doubled the framerate in Topaz, then did this slowdown and zoom effect in resolve. I think it's interesting. As a concept it could work well, but still needs something else.
Definitely does. Though I am not sure what would be a solution.

This is still in need of some processingin Topaz, but The sound effects seem good to me and I have the timing and effects how I want. The end was more tricky, I think Maybe an insert shot of Thor again would be good at the end as Zeus' dialogue is very abrupt, but I also want to give the impression that this is a dichotomy in Zeus' personality so this sort of almost smash cut could work in my favour.

Going in to the deleted scene is working perfectly now.
Coming back out though, I would do some kind of zoom again instead of a dip to white, I think that would help visual continuity (maybe even keep the dip to white but zoom too?). And I would skip Zeus's whispered lines altogether, and just come back on him smirking before turning around to yell. I think that would feel less abrupt and still seem a little sinister, like he's laughing at Thor.

That transition into the deleted scene looks really good!
I agree with addiesin that the transition back needs some more finessing - cutting the whispered lines and just having him turn & yell about putting Thor's clothes back on would flow better, and help sell the idea of Zeus secretly helping but not wanting to publicly admit it.

Ok got it, thanks guys!

Right,now I got this bit with some layered sound effects. I tried a bit of Thor's dialogue from his talk with Rocket, but it's really quiet and clashes with the other audio. If there's any really poignant lines of his that anyone can think of, that are loud and clear, I could add those in perhaps, but for now, I just have it with music and sfx. it took a while to source the foley and get it sounding right, it's subtle though. I don't think I want the sfx to be overwhelming but I think their absence is more noticeable.

Last edited:
Here I have Jane managing to revive Mjolnir with residual power of the Aether.

And here, I removed Thor's stupid jokes to allow the scenes with Gorr to be more intimidating.

I shall try switching the end credits music tomorrow and see how I feel about that, but work is more or less done and this is probably good to go for a first draft.

Last edited:
Ok got it, thanks guys!

Right,now I got this bit with some layered sound effects. I tried a bit of Thor's dialogue from his talk with Rocket, but it's really quiet and clashes with the other audio. If there's any really poignant lines of his that anyone can think of, that are loud and clear, I could add those in perhaps, but for now, I just have it with music and sfx. it took a while to source the foley and get it sounding right, it's subtle though. I don't think I want the sfx to be overwhelming but I think their absence is more noticeable.
I think the first shot of Friga with baby Thor should be removed, clashes with the tone too much and is a bit silly. Unless you've already tried to remove it and couldn't, in which case never mind..

Planned edit list:
  • Korg dies for real
Count Me In Rick And Morty GIF

If you're going to rescore some of the rock scenes, maybe replace it with Peyton Parrish? He's done some "viking metal" that might fit well.

Dear God, please don't. This guy sends shivers down my spine with every new song... they're awful. He had one and he keeps milking it with soundalikes.
If anything, I'd suggest rescoring Thor L&T with actual Norse music. I have a playlist with over 286 hours of Nordic/Viking themed music that I'm more than willing to share. It includes authentic Scandinavian artists like Wardruna, Heilung, Nytt Land, Danheim, and plenty more. It even includes all the Assassin's Creed Valhalla released albums. No offence, it's tremault's project, so I have no say in it, but please, anything but that phony Peyton Harrish. (just my two -blunt- cents)

Here I have Jane managing to revive Mjolnir with residual power of the Aether.

Not sure I'm on board with where this edit is going, but to each their own, so I wanted to offer some 'in-universe' constructive feedback.
The Æther was one of the infinity stones, and it was consuming Jane from the inside, because her mortal body was nowhere near strong enough to contain its power. Having any residual power lay dormant within her body would've already killed her for sure, especially when combined with her stage 4 cancer.

In the film, Waititi retcons the entire Thor franchise (because, who cares) by making Mjolnir promise Thor to always protect her. Apparently being smashed into tiny bits by Hela didn't stop Mjolnir from keeping that promise. In the (FANTASTIC) comic book this is based on, written by Jason Aaron (I have the entire run), Mjolnir chooses Jane simply because she is worthy.

Not sure I'm on board with where this edit is going, but to each their own, so I wanted to offer some 'in-universe' constructive feedback.
The Æther was one of the infinity stones, and it was consuming Jane from the inside, because her mortal body was nowhere near strong enough to contain its power. Having any residual power lay dormant within her body would've already killed her for sure, especially when combined with her stage 4 cancer.

In the film, Waititi retcons the entire Thor franchise (because, who cares) by making Mjolnir promise Thor to always protect her. Apparently being smashed into tiny bits by Hela didn't stop Mjolnir from keeping that promise. In the (FANTASTIC) comic book this is based on, written by Jason Aaron (I have the entire run), Mjolnir chooses Jane simply because she is worthy.
I'm glad to have the opportunity to discuss this as I am no expert on the ethos. The way I was thinking about it is this, the aether was the reality stone and when Thanos used it, he was able to change the nature of matter. Whilst it is true that the dark elf guy removed it from her, I felt that it might be possible that there is a residual effect that is causing her extremely aggressive cancer and giving her some limited ability to prompt small changes in the world. I mean, looking at how the girl in Knowhere burned up as soon as she picked up that purple infinity stone, Jane lasted pretty long with the aether in her? So i felt like this could work. If it's all badbadbad, then I'm open to other options.
Having completely removed all reference to Thor asking Mjolnir to help Jane, I need some form of explanation for how Mjolnir came together for Jane but apparently Thor never even went near Mjolnir since Thor Ragnarok or it didn't do that for him.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

I think the first shot of Friga with baby Thor should be removed, clashes with the tone too much and is a bit silly. Unless you've already tried to remove it and couldn't, in which case never mind..
Thanks, I see what you're saying here. That would mess with my current timing though and I don't want to do that. I could try and think of something to replace it and expand on other clips...

I'm glad to have the opportunity to discuss this as I am no expert on the ethos. The way I was thinking about it is this, the aether was the reality stone and when Thanos used it, he was able to change the nature of matter. Whilst it is true that the dark elf guy removed it from her, I felt that it might be possible that there is a residual effect that is causing her extremely aggressive cancer and giving her some limited ability to prompt small changes in the world. I mean, looking at how the girl in Knowhere burned up as soon as she picked up that purple infinity stone, Jane lasted pretty long with the aether in her? So i felt like this could work. If it's all badbadbad, then I'm open to other options.
Having completely removed all reference to Thor asking Mjolnir to help Jane, I need some form of explanation for how Mjolnir came together for Jane but apparently Thor never even went near Mjolnir since Thor Ragnarok or it didn't do that for him.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.
I think if you want this angle to work you would, at the very least, have to show smoldering hints of Æther still residing in Jane before she comes anywhere near Mjolnir. I'm not sure if you have already, I might have overlooked it but, if you haven't, I strongly suggest using her earlier appearances in the film to suggest the Æther might be responsible for her cancer.

If you could, I'd also change the nature of how you show it. Instead of showing it as some form of red electricity, even when she comes near Mjolnir, I'd instead try to show it as the residual Æther flowing through her veins. You could have it come across her hands and forearms a few times every scene she's in. Finally, when she comes close to Mjolnir, we could see the Æther flowing through her arm and hand, and then we see Mjolnir reacting to it (with its own, original colour lightning). That would give off a stronger sense of Mjolnir trying to save her. The clip you have now makes it seem as if the Æther actually imposes itself on Mjolnir and fixes it. There's no point in it doing that since the Æther is anything but benevolent.

I think if you want this angle to work you would, at the very least, have to show smoldering hints of Æther still residing in Jane before she comes anywhere near Mjolnir. I'm not sure if you have already, I might have overlooked it but, if you haven't, I strongly suggest using her earlier appearances in the film to suggest the Æther might be responsible for her cancer.

If you could, I'd also change the nature of how you show it. Instead of showing it as some form of red electricity, even when she comes near Mjolnir, I'd instead try to show it as the residual Æther flowing through her veins. You could have it come across her hands and forearms a few times every scene she's in. Finally, when she comes close to Mjolnir, we could see the Æther flowing through her arm and hand, and then we see Mjolnir reacting to it (with its own, original colour lightning). That would give off a stronger sense of Mjolnir trying to save her. The clip you have now makes it seem as if the Æther actually imposes itself on Mjolnir and fixes it. There's no point in it doing that since the Æther is anything but benevolent.
That sounds like an insane amount of fx work... so... in lieu of that, would it be better that I just remove the concept entirely and just leave this unexplained?

That sounds like an insane amount of fx work... so... in lieu of that, would it be better that I just remove the concept entirely and just leave this unexplained?
I always thought that it was pretty self-explanatory that Mjolnir thought Jane was worthy. It's one of the VERY FEW things they did right in that film. Leaving it as it is definitely works better than the Æther setup you have now. But that's just my opinion, don't let me deter you from your plans if that was your original intention.

I always thought that it was pretty self-explanatory that Mjolnir thought Jane was worthy. It's one of the VERY FEW things they did right in that film. Leaving it as it is definitely works better than the Æther setup you have now. But that's just my opinion, don't let me deter you from your plans if that was your original intention.
No, this is really helpful. It's always incredibly helpful to have differing perspectives! It stops me from second guessing myself. I won't remove it right now, let's see if anyone objects first.

I like the idea of aether causing the cancer but it could be told much more simply. The Kuleshov Effect.

You start with a flashback montage right? Then it cuts to Jane getting her scan. Instead of ending the montage on Thor peacefully contemplating then going to the scan, end on shots of Jane being taken over by Aether from Thor 2 as part of the montage, with an echoey scream sound or something unsettling sounding, with reverb that continues into the shot of her getting the scan.

You could even maybe replace the baby Thor shots with the quiet contemplation shot and start with that, as if the montage represents his memories or something. This would give space for Jane shots at the end and keep your timing from the beginning while getting rid of the baby. Two birds, one rearrange.

Back
Top Bottom