• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Godfather Chronological Epic 1901-1980

You don't need Rapids to download from RS, you can do it as a free user (although it will take longer).

OK so 5 parts have downloaded but the rest just keep saying waiying for ip address, what am I doing wrong?

If you are downloading as a free user there is a wait limit between file downloads. Give it a little time and see if that helps.

Its been downloading since yesterday, it goes through the waiting time on each link but doesnt start to download.

Try restarting jdownloader. If that doesn't work try updating jdownloader. If that doesn't work....dunno, try again tomorrow?

Sometimes Rapidshare just doesn't work well for free users for awhile.

Dont suppose any kind soul could put all the discs up on Demonoid or somewhere, there is a torrent version but at only 5 gig for the whole set the quality is poor, rapidshare will just not work for me.

Paul

Honestly, I'd suggest you spend 9 bucks or whatever to be a RS Pro user, and the download will fly by. And you get that for a whole month, so you can snag fanedits to your hearts content until it runs out. It's worth it. Look at all the cool stuff on here. 9 bucks for any of it? That's a deal, my friend. :)

Jdownloader / Settings / Add account
Choose "Rapidshare" (of all possible suggested accounts there) and put your Rapidshare username and password where they should be. I think JD should recognize it immidiately, also when expired in one month/year. Until then use Jdownloader as before - it will work fast, safe and correct.

I'm downloading now. I'm curious tho; does this release encompass all available footage from all the various sources?

I made a similar edit years ago using all the various sources available at that time on VHS using the Godfather: A Novel For Television (taped from the original broadcast), the first VHS "Godfather: The Complete Epic" and the Laserdisc "Triology Epic" as well as the single laserdisc releases of all three films. Each source had footage unique to that release alone, and it took me weeks to watch five minutes of each tape and check for differences among all the versions to produce the most complete version that I could make. Of course, we didn't have the DVD set back then so now there's even MORE additional footage out there that I never got to add. My version came up to 9 hours and 45 minutes.

I'm just wondering if you used all the known footage out there to make this version, or if I'm going to have to dig up my old VHS masters and take notes... :p

theregencyelf,

Nothing from the "Novel For Television" was used (as I don't have a copy of it). I poured through the VHS and LaserDisc versions for as much extra footage i could find and combined it with the Deleted Scenes from the DVD release.

2 scenes missing that are from the NOVEL FOR TELEVISION are:
--Tom Hagen's return from visiting Woltz and the conversation he has with Vito, with Vito ordering Luca to Los Angeles.
--The undertaker receiving a call to take care of Sonny's body and talking to his wife.

If there are any others, please feel free to add and let me know.

As I am new to the board, please advise if I am in breach of etiquette by posting my review both here and on the original page:

Okay, took some time to watch this. Thank you VERY much for the time spent. I've always been a fan of the various 'Epic' versions of these films put together over the years, and knowing that this will not be done officially with the newly restored material, your work is greatly appreciated.

THE GOOD:
This is about as good as an edit like this will get. I took the time to check out the places where deleted scenes would be added, and as expected there was the inherent drop in quality of the original sources. Nothing could be done to make these scenes look as good as the newly restored material. However, you did a great job with the cuts and fades and the added black sidebars so as not to disrupt the perspective flow. You did a great job in selecting logical breakpoints to switch DVD's, and your segues between films were topnotch.
Your editorial choice to add the scene with Michael Corleone negotiating with the Archbishop of the vatican bank before the party was compelling. It changes the perspective of the party scene for the better, and enhances the third film on the whole which was always the inferior of the three.

THE NOT SO GOOD, BUT NOT NECESSARILY BAD:
This one comes as a gripe by someone who is a long-time fan of these films in all their variations including past 'epic' editions. Unfortunately, on the laser disc version of the original Epic trilogy, Frank Pentageli's introduction scene was lifted from the TV version. That unfortunate edit results in dubbed language ("Fredo, you old son of a gun" rather than the original "son of a bitch", and "canapes my eye" rather than "canapes my ass".) This is a personal gripe that comes with long term familiarity, and previous disappointment over having seen this done on the laserdisc, as well.
However, I say this with full realization that the extended intro scene doesn't exist in any other form. I just "wish" it could have been different....perhaps at switching over as the scene cuts to Pentageli drinking from the hose? Either way, this doesn't detract from your work. If I may be pardoned a pun, it's purely personal...not business.

The only thing you did which I does feel detracts from the overall product was your placement for the ending montage. I think Godfather III needs to end with Michael alone in the aftermath of what has been left before. By adding the montage prior to Michael's death scene, and inserting the montage of his dancing with the three women in his life over what was intentionally a slow and lonely death, you took away quite a bit of power from the ending. I also feel that 'Cavalleria Rusticana' was the more approrpiate music for the scene. All told, I would rather have seen the film end as it should have, and your otherwise very good montage added before the credits.

But overall, I think your work was great...and it's truly appreciated.

modernknife said:
theregencyelf,

Nothing from the "Novel For Television" was used (as I don't have a copy of it). I poured through the VHS and LaserDisc versions for as much extra footage i could find and combined it with the Deleted Scenes from the DVD release.

2 scenes missing that are from the NOVEL FOR TELEVISION are:
--Tom Hagen's return from visiting Woltz and the conversation he has with Vito, with Vito ordering Luca to Los Angeles.
--The undertaker receiving a call to take care of Sonny's body and talking to his wife.

If there are any others, please feel free to add and let me know.

I am going by memory, but if I'm correct there are also two more scenes that never made it past the NOVEL FOR TELEVISION:
-An extended introduction to the attendees at the meeting of the heads of the five families
-An extended "You're out, Tom" scene where Vito advises his son on the use of a softer tongue now that he is acting as head of the family.

Have finally downloaded this, thanks for the help

Just two little niggles about this otherwise great set

1. no subtitles in the GFP1 restaraunt scene
2. Suffers from small artifacts all the way through

Otherwise brilliant, thanks a lot

PC, the restaurant scene never had subtitles. Coppola thought that the subtitles distracted from the drama of the scene and figured that since the conversation was pretty self-explanatory anyway, the audience didn't need them.

The grain artifacts present throughout the print are not Modernknife's fault; this is the way it looks in the Coppola restoration. The slight film mar throughout part 1 & 2 is also intentional as the films were underexposed to give them an "aged" look.

I just finished watching DVD1: absolutely fantastic work! I'll reserve my judgement until I've seen the full thing to be fair but this is brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, and probably the best way to watch The Godfather trilogy ever. Very precise and careful work, obviously done with a lot of passion for Coppola's films. Thank you for this release, Mr. Moderknife!

theregencyelf said:
PC, the restaurant scene never had subtitles. Coppola thought that the subtitles distracted from the drama of the scene and figured that since the conversation was pretty self-explanatory anyway, the audience didn't need them.

The grain artifacts present throughout the print are not Modernknife's fault; this is the way it looks in the Coppola restoration. The slight film mar throughout part 1 & 2 is also intentional as the films were underexposed to give them an "aged" look.

My Apologies, brilliant set

Back
Top Bottom