• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Godfather Chronological Epic 1901-1980

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moiisty said:
This will be my first time watching TGF1-3, Should I go with this FANEDIT or the HBO version as the ultimate one to watch?

So you’ve never seen any of the movies in any form or this would be your first time watching a chronological version? If it’s the former, I’d watch the original theatrical versions and not a chronological version.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Moiisty said:
This will be my first time watching TGF1-3, Should I go with this FANEDIT or the HBO version as the ultimate one to watch?

So you’ve never seen any of the movies in any form or this would be your first time watching a chronological version? If it’s the former, I’d watch the original theatrical versions and not a chronological version.

You're probably right, although the first time I watched the films, it was the old chrono cut on VHS from my local library and it didn't do me any harm :D .

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
Moiisty said:

You're probably right, although the first time I watched the films, it was the old chrono cut on VHS from my local library and it didn't do me any harm :D .

The back and forth between Michael’s rise and Vito’s rise is such a huge part of GF2. In my opinion chronological order robs you of many of the best thematic aspects of the two films. I wouldn’t recommend chronological for anything more than a novelty once you’ve thoroughly digested the movies. It’s akin to watching Star Wars in chronological order for the first time. You essentially rob yourself of many of the best bits. Of course with Star Wars I wouldn’t recommend watching the prequels at all. :D

Moiisty

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes but the thing is, I want to watch it in chronological order due to this one having the most footage ever (this edition and the 1080p one)

tylerdurden389

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I understand. I wish they'd make an official release of the theatrical versions with the additional "saga" scenes added back in. Best of both worlds.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I still wouldn’t watch that first under any circumstances. If you’ve seen the first two then fine, I’ve watched the chronological versions too. But there’s a reason two of the best movies ever made were edited the way they were.

Moiisty

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well then..... What is the longest version to watch thats not the chronological cut?

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moiisty said:
Well then..... What is the longest version to watch thats not the chronological cut?

Again, I’m not sure why you want your first viewing to be something other than the theatrical cuts that are considered masterpieces by many as is. Watch the extended versions in whatever order you want after seeing them as intended by the filmmakers. Or don’t. It’s up to you. But to me this is analogous to someone being hellbent on watching the Star Wars special editions as a first viewing despite the wide availability of the theatrical cuts. You’d be watching an inferior product.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mis post...apologies to all
W

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points