• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

The Emotional Support Thread

Today I spent time with the lady I had been so fixated on for over a year.  The same one from yesterday, in my little group of friends, but this time alone.  I realized our friendship was not nearly as strong as I had thought, and I just made her uncomfortable and bored.  Had this been any other time I'd have cried, but I'm sick of crying.  I just don't have anybody to talk to anymore, and I'm really just in a very negative mood.

Dr. Chim Richalds said:
Handman said:
Maybe start developing one-person skills.

My autism won't allow that.  Can't really develop one-person skills when no one really wants to give you the chance.  I don't understand what I should be doing to "work on myself".  I hate myself too much to care right now.

Not sure your age or where you live but there's a scientifically-validated social skills training program for young adults on the spectrum called PEERS.  The program is based out of UCLA, but apparently they train providers across the country, which you can search here:
https://www.semel.ucla.edu/node/3092
I have no personal experience with it, but have only read about it.  If you really feel that ASD is a stumbling block, that might be a good place to start.  Maybe there are some worthwhile social skills books for ASD as well?  

For the record, you're very kind to people on this thread and I like yourself!  And while they might not know you as deeply as you may wish them to (or even if you may have difficulty relating to them at times), I can imagine that your friends often enjoy your company.

I checked that website, and there's nothing nearby that isn't at least a three hour drive.  Thank you for the kind words, it's similar to what my friends say.  I have trouble believing it, but I try.

I always appreciate people putting up with me.  I have a tendency to sulk and brood I guess.

Masirimso17 said:
Sometimes I overhear their talks about other guys, and surprise surprise, no mention of me :D but they talk about their physique and stuff so I dunno ?‍♂️ They did once say to I was the nice guy and guys should be more like me, but they always say that and nothing more ever happens.

Nothing wrong with working on one's physique! I've been doing a pull-ups/sit-ups/push-ups/chin-ups regimen in the comfort and convenience of my room (following the sites linked previously) 2-3 times a week for over two years now, and while I can't say as it's helped me with the ladies, necessarily, I do feel strong and powerful right after doing them, and that's a great feeling in of itself. Indeed, I try to time such regimens to right before dates (with time for a brief shower, of course), so as to exude maximum charisma and health. :cool:

Masirimso17 said:
Even asking her out to hang out as friends and getting to know her, it seems very forward, especially for someone like me who’s so socially awkward and doesn’t go out much often. I guess the study sessions could be my opportunity. But I’ll try not to force it.

Dating and flirtation is a dance, hombre. So, what message do you think you're sending if you view a simple hangout as "very forward," but an attempt to trick her into a date as legit? Believe me, I know how tough it is to get used to the whole concept of dates, especially at your age. In college, I thought a fellow member of our College Democrats chapter was a cutie, and one day in the library, I chatted her up and suggested we get lunch at the cafeteria a day or two later - and lo, we did! But nothing else happened, maybe because nothing else could have, but I definitely didn't suggest we meet again (off-campus this time) for a meal, a dessert, a drink, whatever. (In fairness to me, she wasn't yet 21, and if I was, it wasn't by much.) Going on first dates has since become vastly easier for me, partly because I'm comfortable in bars, but mostly because I arrange to meet particular women from apps and such, so I know going in that they want to spend at least a few minutes talking with me specifically. So, again, I get it: at your age, this is all very awkward and tough, and perhaps more so in Turkey than here.

That said, while asking this girl to tutor you may indeed be a good way to become friends with her, IMO, it's not likely to lead to attraction, and could well weird her out if she starts to sense an ulterior motive on your part you're not willing to openly acknowledge. To oversimplify, women don't spend their whole girlhoods daydreaming of tutoring Prince Charming - they dream of him riding in on a magnificent horse and whisking them away on an adventure. My advice would be to search for such literature/studies assistance elsewhere, and be more direct in asking her to spend time with you doing more fun activities. If you learn she's not interested in dating you, you can always fall back on the tutoring request as simple friends.

@"Gaith" I’ll be sure to keep these in mind. I do agree that working out makes me feel really good afterwards. I just really hate doing it, and for years I couldn’t create a workout schedule that I sticked to, let alone the year of university prep, final exam, and my creative endeavors on top of boring and tiring school and regular exams. Believe me, I tried, and when exam week came, the second week I got so burned out I could neither work out nor study, ruining my exams that term. I guess working out isn’t for me. But I will try again by summer.

Maybe not an option depending on your living situation but I find that working out while watching a tv show or movie is the best motivator.  Most movies I watch these days are watched half hour at a time on the elliptical.  When it's a good one I barely even notice I'm working out.

I like data, and I'm pretty goal oriented, so creating a spreadsheet tracking and graphing my exercise routine is really motivating.

I like listening to funny podcasts when I exercise, which is usually running/biking/elliptical

Handman said:
Today I spent time with the lady I had been so fixated on for over a year.  The same one from yesterday, in my little group of friends, but this time alone.  I realized our friendship was not nearly as strong as I had thought, and I just made her uncomfortable and bored.  Had this been any other time I'd have cried, but I'm sick of crying.  I just don't have anybody to talk to anymore, and I'm really just in a very negative mood.
I always appreciate people putting up with me.  I have a tendency to sulk and brood I guess.

Well, seems today I spent even more time with these folks.  That makes three days in a row.  This is not a common occurrence, in fact practically unheard of.  We introduced her to Star Trek, and what do you know, she actually wants us to put on a marathon of the original show.  Can you see why I feel this way about her...?

I suppose my recent negativity towards these folks is a bit unwarranted?  I don't know.  I wish I had better, more meaningful relationships, but I suppose I could do worse.  I just wish I felt like there was more to my life.

As for exercise...  not really my thing.  If anything, I need to gain weight.

Take a walk over the pizza thread, we'll welcome you with open tomato stained arms.

Glad you're willing to consider that hanging out with these others might be a more promising venture than you'd previously thought, Handman!  :)

Handman said:
As for exercise...  not really my thing.  If anything, I need to gain weight.

Not all exercise lends itself to weight loss, and muscle mass is heavier by volume than body fat, so if you play things right, you could probably ingest more protein + veggies and gain the best kind of weight through working out. I'm sure there are rare exceptions to this (as there are with pretty much anything), but in general, I don't think anyone was ever hurt by doing a reasonable amount of push-ups, sit-ups, and/or other basic weight training. Food for thought. ;)

My brother has informed me that he has disabled the phone app our parents use to track us and has also notified dad of what he's done.  I feel nauseated and will likely be entirely unproductive this evening as I wait to hear more developments in this story.

suspiciouscoffee said:
My brother has informed me that he has disabled the phone app our parents use to track us and has also notified dad of what he's done.  I feel nauseated and will likely be entirely unproductive this evening as I wait to hear more developments in this story.

If I ever meet your brother, I'm buying him all the drinks.

ChainsawAsh said:
suspiciouscoffee said:

If I ever meet your brother, I'm buying him all the drinks.

I dunno, there're a lot of drinks in the world.

That doesn't even count the drinks that are out of this world.

Good.  Being tracked through a phone by your parents when you're college aged is beyond ridiculous.

Possessed said:
Good.  Being tracked through a phone by your parents when you're college aged is beyond ridiculous.

I agree.

For now.

Possessed said:

"To ridiculousness, and beyond."

TVs Frink said:
Possessed said:

I agree.

For now.

Can't you agree and still do it yourself someday anyway?  That wouldn't make you a hypocrite, your whole brand is Ridiculous.

1UGy.gif

Meditate on this, I will.

Possessed said:

Well, they do still pay the phone bills.  And the school bills.  And everything else, really.

suspiciouscoffee said:
Possessed said:

Well, they do still pay the phone bills.  And the school bills.  And everything else, really.

Yeah, that's no excuse.

Can they legally track you like that?

Back
Top Bottom