• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars VIII - The Last Jedi

Just stop. We don't need "butwhatabout" I'm not excplicitly calling anyone out (yet).

DQZJ8NZXUAAB-eI.jpg

Moe_Syzlak said:
I’ve made no secret of the fact that there are manany things that don’t work for me in TLJ. But Snoke dying is not one of them. So, the guy in this video says something to the effect of either Snoke is alive in Ep9 or Disney has ruined Star Wars. He said it somewhat tongue in cheek, but I honestly don’t understand what would be ruined. Can someone explain it to me?

My guess only is that people wanted more story from Snoke and the way his death occurred with him not seeing a little light saber moving right next to him turned off many people since Snoke was able to choke Hux from a  distance and basically could have crushed anybody in this thrown room easily.  Many found his "apparent" death cheap. 
I highly doubt we will see that last of Snoke...i hope he just wasn't an ordinary bad dude.

I get what Rian was trying to accomplish, but I think the audience needed a tiny bit more in terms of Force lore...more revelations from Luke about what he learned about the force maybe.

i don't have the answers, but the shock value for the audience may have been too much for what looks like 50% of the audience.
i am sure Episode 9 will resolve everything...but the journey of EP8 was not pleasant for few.

But that fan theory would bring new light on what obi-wan said in EP4:

Strike me down and I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine

Qui-gon was the first one who was able to communicate from the netherworld according to Yoda....I suspect they leaned a thing or two in becoming one with the Force....since yoda was able to burn down the Tree....so obviously Force Ghosts can now interact physically in the here and now.

That's my 1 cent worth of useless information...lol

*Removed excessive quoting*

Yeah, I still don’t see disappointment in not learning more about Snoke—or even if you view his death as cheap—as a franchise killing mistake. I don’t even view it as a mistake. Clearly hubris was a theme of this movie and Snoke’s hubris caused him to not be able to see the true target of Kylo Ben’s hatred and resolve. I thought it was one of the movie’s better choices.

Moe_Syzlak said:
Y..... Snoke’s hubris caused him to not be able to see the true target of Kylo Ben’s hatred and resolve. I thought it was one of the movie’s better choices.

True, it happened to palpatine when Vadar through him over into the energy pit. Palpatine didn't see it coming either.

Maybe we expect too much.....

Easily the worst Star Wars movie outside of the prequels.  Only things that save it from being on that level are superior acting and production.

@"Gothamknight" I moved your post out of the Ideas thread and into the Movie thread since it contained no ideas or reaction to ideas previously posted.

A thought occurs to me:

When we first met Luke, he drank blue milk.  Then he got a blue lightsaber and started his adventure.  Then he lost it, built a green lightsaber to replace it.  Now that he's put his adventures behind him, he retires to drink green milk.  It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Half of the screening for my second viewing of the Last Jedi just ended, now it’s break time. So far, I still love it, even more so probably. 

The Canto Bight sequence does not bother me at all, and it’s nowhere near as slow as people make it out to be. I will post again for my final-ish thoughts on this subplot according to how it ties into things. But so far, it doesn’t bother me and I can’t find anything specific to trim (though small trims for pacing of course wouldn’t be bad, I can’t find much to trim)

Masirimso17 said:
Half of the screening for my second viewing of the Last Jedi just ended, now it’s break time. So far, I still love it, even more so probably. 

As in, there's an interval? That sounds... Unusual (although I wish it wasn't).

Must be a UK/US thing. I have never heard "interval" used for a break in a film, and here the word is primarily used to describe a segment of something quantitatively, not a pause. In fact, two of the example phrases used in your screenshot use the term as a measurement of something, not the break explicitly.  

Anyway, Star Wars...

JEDIT: Yes, definitely a UK/US difference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermission

ThrowgnCpr said:
Must be a UK/US thing. I have never heard "interval" used for a break in a film, and here the word is primarily used to describe a segment of something quantitatively, not a pause. In fact, two of the example phrases used in your screenshot use the term as a measurement of something, not the break explicitly.  

Anyway, Star Wars...

Probably is a UK/US thing. In my experience interval is used more frequently than intermission, though both are valid. Note "Intermission" is a synonym on my screenshot.

Anywho, as you say, Star Wars...

Edit: Just saw your (J)edit!

I still can't believe so many people don't like it...

TBH the thing about Canto Bight, when I think about it more, I like it more. It shows that our heroes can indeed fail and make problems and show how desperate their situation is.

theryaney said:

TBH the thing about Canto Bight, when I think about it more, I like it more. It shows that our heroes can indeed fail and make problems and show how desperate their situation is.

I like the themes it's exploring, I just don't like how it was executed (Canto Bight).

The Scribbling Man said:

Here in Turkey, whenever the film reaches the approximate halfway point, there’s always a ten minute interval/intermission :p All the ads for popcorn, Coca-Cola and other snacks or drinks begin play, and people can freely go to the bathroom as well. This “snack break” is an obvious money ploy to gain some extra money, but it works well I guess.

theryaney said:

I definitely agree. Had they not gone to Canto Bight and trusted DJ, Holdo’s plan for escape without the knowledge of the First Order would have worked. This subplot adds so much dimension to Poe’s, Finn’s and Rose’s characters. Does Canto Bight drag? I personally think we spent just the right amount of time there.

Everyone saying that it constantly interrupts the Rey/Luke/Kylo main plot are exaggerating IMHO. The true meat of the main plot doesn’t begin until they escape the authorities in Canto Bight, and until that point the pace was managed extremely well; with awesome Star Wars action and character development for Poe, Finn, Rose and Rey. It doesn’t interrupt the meat of the story. I understand that people wanted to get to the meat faster, but I don’t think it dragged at all. The social commentary could have been delivered better, but I can’t find a better alternative to how they delivered it (and I do think it is necessary for Finn and Rose’s characters and the final state of the Rebellion) so I don’t consider it a flaw.

The first time I watched the film I didn’t quite get Holdo, but the second time I really loved her character and sacrifice. Yeah, she could have told Poe what the plan was, but she doesn’t have to if she doesn’t want to. She says Poe is impatient and impulsive, and clearly doesn’t trust him (not the same thing as disliking someone; you can like someone but not trust him/her).

Basically I think the only problem I have with this movie is the jokes with General Hux at the beginning, and that’s it. In the end, I love this movie. So much that I think I’m in the “BEST SINCE EMPIRE” Camp (which previously Force Awakens was, but I think Last Jedi topped it).

But I still need to think about it more.

Masirimso17 said:
Here in Turkey, whenever the film reaches the approximate halfway point, there’s always a ten minute interval/intermission :p All the ads for popcorn, Coca-Cola and other snacks or drinks begin play, and people can freely go to the bathroom as well. This “snack break” is an obvious money ploy to gain some extra money, but it works well I guess.

Wow, that's cool! I wish US theaters still did that. Instead, they convince you that the 3,000-pound cola is the best value for your money, then they make you sit through a 3-hour theater experience without letting you go to the restroom without missing anything. :p

Masirimso17 said:
The Scribbling Man said:

Man, I wish we did that here. Realising you need the toilet half way through a Peter Jackson movie is the worst thing EVER.

The Scribbling Man said:
Man, I wish we did that here. Realising you need the toilet half way through a Peter Jackson movie is the worst thing EVER.

haha, seriously. I remember seeing Return of the King and having to pee soooo bad. It felt like the hobbits were weeping for an hour at the end.

Masirimso17 said:
Everyone saying that it constantly interrupts the Rey/Luke/Kylo main plot are exaggerating IMHO.

acd0e2d84ae7db6e512d3431d1746268--star-wars-quotes-war-quotes.jpg

I think your definition of fact and opinion are blurring  :p

Back
Top Bottom