• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars VIII - The Last Jedi

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
haha, seriously. I remember seeing Return of the King and having to pee soooo bad. It felt like the hobbits were weeping for an hour at the end.

You probably weren't imagining it :p

DigModiFicaTion said:
acd0e2d84ae7db6e512d3431d1746268--star-wars-quotes-war-quotes.jpg

I think your definition of fact and opinion are blurring  :p

tumblr_moo2ieuPkI1qh402go4_250.gif

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
More random thoughts:

Marvel is Good

I'm surprised at how many people keep using "Marvel" as a derogatory term to describe the humor in this movie. Marvel makes arguably the most popular and acclaimed popcorn movies of our time. Why is it an insult to compare the humor to that? One can say a certain joke worked or didn't work, but I see no need to diss Marvel. They're awesome! :D (Also, I'd say that Marvel's humor is heavily influenced by the OT: "Someone get this walking carpet out of my way," "Who's scruffy-looking?" and "When 900 years old you reach, look as good you will not" all sound like jokes that would fit right in for a Marvel movie.)

Luke's Lightsaber Throwing

Many have said that Luke threw his lightsaber away for the sake of a cheap gag. I don't. Luke's entire goal to restore the Jedi was a catastrophic failure. His nephew is a mass murderer thanks to him. He deliberately hid himself in a remote part of the galaxy because he wants nothing to do with that life anymore. Now, despite all that, someone shows up and hands him the very thing that he's been trying to get away from? What else would he do with it?

Granted, I simply expected him to say, "Go away" or "You shouldn't have come" (and I think he does eventually say that), but film is a visual medium, and that was an extremely visual rejection of his calling.

One can say that maybe the filmmakers should have given Luke a less miserable life after RotJ, but that problem was started in TFA. Rian Johnson was just following that idea through to its logical conclusion.

If Luke had thrown away the lightsaber and then said, "Just kidding," and picked it back up again with a smile, then I'd say it was a cheap gag. 

Holdo the Phone (sorry, couldn't resist)

I think a great deal of the division over this movie comes from what people thought of Holdo. (I formerly called her the Purple Haired Lady, but I finally remember her name.) Apparently there was a line early on that said some information about the Resistance had leaked to the First Order. The people who noted that line thought that Holdo was a spy who leaked that information, and so they were riveted by Poe's attempts to stop her, and all the reversals in the end (Poe's plan fails, Holdo turns out to be a hero) were stunning.

I didn't catch that line or make note of it. I did note how Poe was established early on to be a hothead when it came to Leia's orders. I saw Holdo as a surrogate Leia, while Leia was hospitalized. I saw Poe treating Holdo the same way he treated Leia. So I fully expected that Poe was going to be proven wrong in the end, and all the Poe/Finn/Rose scenes were just dull as I was waiting for them to figure out that Holdo was right. 

Mind you, that doesn't mean my way of viewing the movie was superior. If I had caught that line, I probably would have been right there with the first audience. That's probably what Johnson intended. But since I was with the group that didn't catch the line or grasp its importance (even from a red-herring perspective, which is a valid storytelling tool), those scenes were much less impactful. 

Yoda Looks Weird

I'm soooo glad they used the puppet this time. But as pointed out on a Star Wars podcast (where the hosts love all Star Wars movies), the hosts noted that he didn't look quite right at some times from some angles. I noticed that too, but I couldn't put my finger on why until they explained it: The lighting on Yoda was so specific and so well-done in the OT. If the lighting isn't just right, the puppet looks "off." That's why I kept veering between "Wow, that looks exactly like the same puppet!" to "Uh, what happened to it?"

Still, the puppet looks way better than the TPM puppet, and I'm so glad Frank Oz came back for the performing and for the voice.

The Theater Experience

Something that I wish was talked about more was the experience that people had in the theater. I know we all try our hardest to be objective, but a good (or bad) audience can make (or break) a movie. 

I was originally supposed to see a morning matinee show in a packed theater (admittedly with front-row nosebleed seats), but I ended up having to cancel those tickets. I ended up seeing it at a different theater that still had matinee prices in the afternoon. There were only 10 other people in the theater besides my wife and me. No one laughed at any of the jokes besides me, and there was no building sense of tension like you can feel with an enthusiastic audience. One guy behind me fell asleep, and then snored loudly for about the next 30 minutes. At first I thought it was funny, but eventually it went on long enough to be distracting.

I'm not saying that none of the problems had to do with the movie itself. But it would be very interesting to see the ratio of people who liked it that saw it with an excited crowd vs. the people who disliked it after seeing it with a bored crowd.

Anyway, those are some more of my opinions, but for those that I disagreed with, I still appreciated you sharing your opinions. One of the nice things about FE.org is that the comments are mostly very respectful to one another. It's not the complete chaos of Facebook or some other sites!

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
Anyway, those are some more of my opinions, but for those that I disagreed with, I still appreciated you sharing your opinions. One of the nice things about FE.org is that the comments are mostly very respectful to one another. It's not the complete chaos of Facebook or some other sites!

I appreciate you and this statement :)

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
Anyway, those are some more of my opinions, but for those that I disagreed with, I still appreciated you sharing your opinions. One of the nice things about FE.org is that the comments are mostly very respectful to one another. It's not the complete chaos of Facebook or some other sites!

I definitely agree. I mean, a movie can never satisfy everybody. But what I think is if you have something to say about something, this community is very respectful. Debate still stays, but everyone is acting transparent and no one is super biased on their own opinion. Freedom of speech is not abused in this community, and I appreciate that. Others' opinions I will always keep in mind, and I try to not be harsh or rude.

So, yeah. Let's continue to talk some Star Wars. :)

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view

I think your definition of fact and opinion are blurring  :p

Well I did say IMHO :)

JEDIT: Maybe I didn't get what you were trying to say exactly

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
Well I did say IMHO :)

Yeah I was hoping you didn't see that :)
It was more a general request for all of us, myself included, to be mindful and not use confrontational/charged language. There's too much turmoil in this world for us to divide ourselves over something as ultimately silly as Star Wars......

but remember my opinions are always correct. [img=20x20]https://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/silly.png[/img]

theforce

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree, I like that I can express my opinions  whether they are right or wrong or just plain silly lol.....very nice community here.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just went to read the Last Jedi thread on originaltrilogy.com.....
And my god, @"TVs Frink" was right: internet is really sucking the joy out of everything.
I wanted to go there to write how I enjoyed the movie and all I saw was negative post after negative post from people who sounded like 8 years old with a broken toy in their hands. It's like living in a twilight zone episode, I don't understand what they are talking about! (and no, I never was THAT pissed off against the prequels as some of them seems to be against that movie)
So I didn't write anything and left them there.
Even if I don't agree with everyone here I'm happy to say that we're having a discussion at least!

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:
Auralnauts never cease to entertain.  There are spoilers within.

Absolutely uncanny likeness. I need to contact this guy to see if he'll do some voice work for HttF during the interrogation scene.

Gothamknight

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
@"Gothamknight" I moved your post out of the Ideas thread and into the Movie thread since it contained no ideas or reaction to ideas previously posted.

And that makes perfect sense; I should've thought of that myself.  Thanks.  :blush:

Gothamknight

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
I still can't believe so many people don't like it...

Are you paying attention to the specific factors people are criticizing?

Had they not gone to Canto Bight and trusted DJ, Holdo’s plan for escape without the knowledge of the First Order would have worked. This subplot adds so much dimension to Poe’s, Finn’s and Rose’s characters.

Huh??  No, it doesn't.  We see that they go into action half-cocked, without sufficient information, they don't "develop" whatsoever, and they accomplish precisely nothing.  Half the movie could be cut right there, without affecting the outcome one iota.

Does Canto Bight drag? I personally think we spent just the right amount of time there.

Accomplishing what, exactly . . . ?

. . . I can’t find a better alternative to how they delivered it (and I do think it is necessary for Finn and Rose’s characters and the final state of the Rebellion) so I don’t consider it a flaw.

It didn't develop their characters at all, and it had the net-effect of weakening the Resistance instead of helping it.  All because Holdo wouldn't tell Poe what her escape plan was.

Yeah, she could have told Poe what the plan was, but she doesn’t have to if she doesn’t want to.

Which was stupid, and which instigated a mutiny that didn't have to happen.

. . . I think I’m in the “BEST SINCE EMPIRE” Camp

Easily the worst Star Wars movie outside of the prequels.  It was 6/10 at best.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gothamknight said:
Masirimso17 said:
I still can't believe so many people don't like it...

Are you paying attention to the specific factors people are criticizing?

:D That's my statement not his. 

And I am. But do you understand the context?

Had they not gone to Canto Bight and trusted DJ, Holdo’s plan for escape without the knowledge of the First Order would have worked. This subplot adds so much dimension to Poe’s, Finn’s and Rose’s characters.

Huh??  No, it doesn't.  We see that they go into action half-cocked, without sufficient information, they don't "develop" whatsoever, and they accomplish precisely nothing.  Half the movie could be cut right there, without affecting the outcome one iota.

Does Canto Bight drag? I personally think we spent just the right amount of time there.

Accomplishing what, exactly . . . ?

It shows the galaxy around, diversity, other people, character development for Finn and Rose, how they are not just fighters, they can be peaceful and happy, and we also see them fail. That is what they accomplish. The experience of choosing bad mistakes.

You can just think about it a little, and you'll understand.

. . . I can’t find a better alternative to how they delivered it (and I do think it is necessary for Finn and Rose’s characters and the final state of the Rebellion) so I don’t consider it a flaw.

It didn't develop their characters at all, and it had the net-effect of weakening the Resistance instead of helping it.  All because Holdo wouldn't tell Poe what her escape plan was.

It does develop their characters. The point of Canto Bight is that they failed. And they can fail. And that plan costs them the survival of 90% of the Resistance. The whole resistance could fit in the Millennium Falcon! This was a story of survival, and they were desperate and so made some bad mistakes, like with DJ.

Yeah, she could have told Poe what the plan was, but she doesn’t have to if she doesn’t want to.

Which was stupid, and which instigated a mutiny that didn't have to happen.

But it makes Poe's story better, expands his character, shows us his leadership as well as cockiness. 

It's like Luke leaving Dagobah early. He could've stayed and trained more to be powerful, but he fell into a trap by Vader.

And even if Holdo did tell Poe, I feel he would still be stubborn and want to follow with Finn's plan.

. . . I think I’m in the “BEST SINCE EMPIRE” Camp

Easily the worst Star Wars movie outside of the prequels.  It was 6/10 at best.

okay, no need to push it in everyone's face though.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Direct responses to direct responses usually result in heated direct responses. Which is great if you're outside in the frigid air, but hopefully we're all nice and toasty. :)

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My feelings towards the big criticisms towards the film, @Ryaney.  You nailed it, in my opinion.  Failure is the development.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A thought occurred to me, unsure if this has been discussed already.  You know how Phasma's armor deflects blaster bolts?  Why, then, did this work in the last movie?

captain-phasma-bio-5_9ea51cc3.jpeg

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In the end I'm feeling that THE main understandable problem that people have with this movie that I can understand (not agree with but understand) is about the death of Luke.
I loved that he is projecting an idealized version of what a jedi Knight should be to enter even more in the legend, BUT people are PLEASED when they understand that Luke is SAFE on the island... THEN he dies.
The scene when he dissappear is great, good music, good acting, good story arc, good everything... but I can understand that it is maybe one too many twist playing with the nerves of the audience.
To me it's a good movie but it can be seen as too pushy for a lot of people and that scene can be the last drop.
I also tend to see (maybe I'm wrong) that the more the audience is fourty something or older, the more they like this movie.
Not saying that "younglings are dumb", not at all, but maybe the expectations were not the same.

Top Bottom