• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Star Wars VIII - The Last Jedi

TVs Frink said:
https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/a-list-of-some-of-the-times-the-last-jedi-told-the-olde-1821396631

Fun article on a bunch of times TLJ told the other movies to "eat shit" and I have to say most of these were positives in my book.

That was fun thanks. A couple of things I noticed...

When Luke, explaining to Rey why the Jedi Order has to end for all time, all but looked directly at the screen and said, Because the stupid prequels revealed them to be the most worthless group of dumbass motherfuckers in the history of the universe, and since we must treat those awful movies as Star Wars canon, that forces us to repudiate the Jedi for all time.

He did sorta do that didn't he :D .

When Kylo Ren, with like ten seconds of icily savage dialogue, revealed that Rey’s parents were nobody-ass losers, pissing on both George Lucas’s sole storytelling move and all The Force Awakens’s hints about Rey having a mysterious and auspicious background.

I don't remember all those hints in TFA? I remember 2 years of geeks on the internet speculating about it though.

TVs Frink said:
Masirimso17 said:
Uh, guys... Have you seen this?

Uh...no thanks.

Hey relax, just a video of Mark looking devastated for some, reason with some stupid "sad" music put in probably by a hater. Just wondering what made him look like that.

Let me remind you that I loved the movie :) plus I've grown to re-love Force Awakens :D

Masirimso17 said:
 with some stupid "sad" music put in 

Umm, that’s the Doors song The End. Surely you’ve at least seen Apocalypse Now.

Moe_Syzlak said:
Masirimso17 said:
 with some stupid "sad" music put in 

Umm, that’s the Doors song The End. Surely you’ve at least seen Apocalypse Now.

I'm aware of that, I'm calling it stupid in context of the video ;) I'm not calling the music itself bad (though in hindsight I may have worded my sentence wrong, it's not a stupid sad song). What I meant was that I find the video stupid, putting The End to hate on The Last Jedi.

What's worse is that so many people are using that clip of Mark Hamill and putting Sound of Silence (Simon & Garfunkel) or Hurt (Johnny Cash) or this or others to support this "Last Jedi Sucks" campaign and it's just annoying.

Masirimso17 said:

Amazing review by HISHE, I completely agree.

Nice review, but the film wasn't executed properly.

PT has a great narrative, but it wasn't executed to its fullest potential.....same for episode 8.  Had potential, but fell flat for me....it kind of insulted me as an audience member, strange.

Like I read some where "a good movie wrapped around a bad movie" or vice versa...I can't remember

I am sure JJ will Retcon EP8 in Episode 9, like Lucas did for the OT.

I am sure all faneditors will trim the hell out of the finn/rose sub-plot. Please remove superman Lea as well. That got laughs in the theater is was in.

Many have argued this point:

Luke Skywalker was not given the movie he deserved.
1. The premise that the man who had chosen NOT to strike down the most evil Sith the world had ever known ever considered killing his sister’s only child was outrageous.
2. “Star Wars” is a Skywalker story. This movie is not about a Skywalker.
3. This movie is trying to get a political message across in a very heavy-handed way. That’s what “Star Trek” does, not “Star Wars."

But let me pose this question then, maybe the failure lies with JJ in TFA. Rather than pander to nostalgia JJ should have had the Luke/ Kylo story in TFA and his decline as an effective Jedi teacher where he fails Kylo rather than a cheap flashback in which Rian  further carries on the cheapness. 

That way we see the decline and the inner struggle Luke has and to which extreme end his is willing to forego. 

I think JJ and Rian did a PT-esque mistake by just telling us so to speak, like Lucas did by also just telling us Obi-wan and Anakin being the best of friends rather than showing that development.

First I found a bit dumb that Phasma could return in Ep8. Then I hoped it was a in a flash back because for me she died in the Starkiller base, end of the story. BUT NOW I would love if Captain Phasma could return in Episode 9 and be "the kenny" (from south Park) of the trilogy, like Rian Johnson jokingly said in the interview the page before!
See, I'm sure that idea would be rejected and hated by most fans, but if I was in charge of Episode 9 that's what I would do. She returns and dies a third time, for good (and for fun!)
See, I'm sure you all have some ideas of your own about some things that you could do as a SW director, and you probably realize that your ideas would surely not be popular with everybody.
So I'm glad Rian Johson had the balls to do what he wanted.
Although I would be more relax if I had the certitude that him and JJ Abrams were on the same page all along because I would like the trilogy to have some sens of coherence and not look like a reboot at each episodes.

theforce said:
1. The premise that the man who had chosen NOT to strike down the most evil Sith the world had ever known ever considered killing his sister’s only child was outrageous. 
3. This movie is trying to get a political message across in a very heavy-handed way. That’s what “Star Trek” does, not “Star Wars."

But let me pose this question then, maybe the failure lies with JJ in TFA. Rather than pander to nostalgia JJ should have had the Luke/ Kylo story in TFA and his decline as an effective Jedi teacher where he fails Kylo rather than a cheap flashback in which Rian  further carries on the cheapness. 

That way we see the decline and the inner struggle Luke has and to which extreme end his is willing to forego. 

I think JJ and Rian did a PT-esque mistake by just telling us sonto speak, like Luca didnbu just telling us Obi-wan and Anakin being the best of friends rather than showing that development.

1. You might be misremembering. Luke after a few temptations gave in and attempted to kill the Emperor. It was Vader that stopped him. Luke also gave in to Vader’s threat easily and Vader got nearly annihilated by Luke.

Luke always had the problem of his emotions clouding his judgement, giving into the dark side in several occasions. In Empire, already impatient and reckless, he ignored Obi-Wan and Yoda’s advice and rushed off to save his friends. Again, in RotJ, he attempted to kill the Emperor and Vader each in two different displays of rage. 

It makes sense that he would fall into a “trap” of the Dark Side, and for a few seconds only, consider getting rid of the darkness by killing Ben. Luke was always vulnerable to that. Is this consideration justifiable? Of course not. But Luke realizes this, the guilt that immediately followed is proof of that; and his overwhelming guilt and shame is the sole reason for his self imposed exile.

This was a bold move by Rian Johnson which I commend. Even Mark Hamill can’t seem to wrap his head around it. But in my humble opinion, this fits his character well, especially with his development and final journey, portrayed wonderfully in this film.

2. In a galaxy as vast and with such history as this, with the potential of so much different and great stories; to suggest that the saga belongs solely to the Skywalkers is absurd. I know Star Wars was intended as a family soap opera, but the franchise evolved from that while still keeping it’s main spirit. Just look at so many other wonderful stories from the franchise, such as KotOR I & especially II. Plus Kylo Ren is a Skywalker, soo...

3. I’ll give you that. The social commentary I agree wasn’t executed well at all.

4. So you’re saying Episode VII should have been about Ben Solo’s fall to the Dark Side? But then the aura of mystery in The Force Awakens (acting as the second of the trilogy, or a reworked extension of TFA anyway) would be gone. Rey is the main character in the trilogy, and while Kylo Ren is important, he’s not as important as dedicating an entire movie about him. In my opinion the flashbacks were sufficient.

I would however be interested to see this story in the future, like maybe in an Anthology movie between Episodes VI and VII, starring Sebastian Stan as Luke Skywalker. Or if it’s done sooner than later, yeah go Mark Hamill young-ified again (if it looks good). Unless of course the rumors of Luke being killed off at the end of the movie because Mark Hamill did negative press on the movie, is true; however I doubt it.

Masirimso17 said:
theforce said:

But let me pose this question then, maybe the failure lies with JJ in TFA. Rather than pander to nostalgia JJ should have had the Luke/ Kylo story in TFA and his decline as an effective Jedi teacher where he fails Kylo rather than a cheap flashback in which Rian  further carries on the cheapness. 

I think JJ and Rian did a PT-esque mistake by just telling us sonto speak, like Luca didnbu just telling us Obi-wan and Anakin being the best of friends rather than showing that development.

1. You might be misremembering. Luke after a few temptations gave in and attempted to kill the Emperor. It was Vader that stopped him. Luke also gave in to Vader’s threat easily and Vader got nearly annihilated by Luke.

Luke always had the problem of his emotions clouding his judgement, giving into the dark side in several occasions. In Empire, already impatient and reckless, he ignored Obi-Wan and Yoda’s advice and rushed off to save his friends. Again, in RotJ, he attempted to kill the Emperor and Vader each in two different displays of rage. 

It makes sense that he would fall into a “trap” of the Dark Side, and for a few seconds only, consider getting rid of the darkness by killing Ben. Luke was always vulnerable to that. Is this consideration justifiable? Of course not. But Luke realizes this, the guilt that immediately followed is proof of that; and his overwhelming guilt and shame is the sole reason for his self imposed exile.

This was a bold move by Rian Johnson which I commend. Even Mark Hamill can’t seem to wrap his head around it. But in my humble opinion, this fits his character well, especially with his development and final journey, portrayed wonderfully in this film.

2. In a galaxy as vast and with such history as this, with the potential of so much different and great stories; to suggest that the saga belongs solely to the Skywalkers is absurd. I know Star Wars was intended as a family soap opera, but the franchise evolved from that while still keeping it’s main spirit. Just look at so many other wonderful stories from the franchise, such as KotOR I & especially II. Plus Kylo Ren is a Skywalker, soo...

3. I’ll give you that. The social commentary I agree wasn’t executed well at all.

4. So you’re saying Episode VII should have been about Ben Solo’s fall to the Dark Side? But then the aura of mystery in The Force Awakens (acting as the second of the trilogy, or a reworked extension of TFA anyway) would be gone. Rey is the main character in the trilogy, and while Kylo Ren is important, he’s not as important as dedicating an entire movie about him. In my opinion the flashbacks were sufficient.

I would however be interested to see this story in the future, like maybe in an Anthology movie between Episodes VI and VII, starring Sebastian Stan as Luke Skywalker. Or if it’s done sooner than later, yeah go Mark Hamill young-ified again (if it looks good). Unless of course the rumors of Luke being killed off at the end of the movie because Mark Hamill did negative press on the movie, is true; however I doubt it.

It was not my quote, I posted it here From an article that took Facebook reviews of the movie. And that comment came up the most.

^ I seem to be making a lot of mistakes tonight. Maybe because I’m tired. I should probably sleep.

My point still stands though.

Masirimso17 said:
^ I seem to be making a lot of mistakes tonight. Maybe because I’m tired. I should probably sleep.

My point still stands though.

No worries. I am fatigued as well. What is not in quotes are my words. I just made a suggestion about Kylo, It doesn’t mean I am right lol. 

The poison is gone from our system lol. 

I like a good healthy debate because it draws out alternate viewpoints, explanations and ideas. 

Fanedit ideas should be next.

Today is my kids’ last day of school, but I’m already done so I had a free day and checked it out a second time. My opinion still stands that it’s better than TFA but does have issues. I liked it better in 2D. Yoda and Leia Poppins didn’t bother me as much in 2D. I still disliked the same things:

- The aforementioned Leia scene
- The slow speed chase
- The side quest
- Hologram Luke
- Pretty much all of BB-8

I’m not sure what could be done with most of that, but removing the entire side quest doesn’t seem too hard. I think it would vastly improve the pacing. You could simply have the officer inform that they detected the cloaked ships. If you can’t cut around Finn, Rose, and Benicio to do so, just use the dialogue as an off camera officer telling Hux in one of his bridge scenes.

Gentle reminder/request to only quote the stuff you are actually replying to. Thanks

For the people who didn't like the fact that no one said "I have a bad feeling about this":
I have heard someone saying that BB8 could probably say that line when Leia is answering "I am with the droid on that one".

If this can make your day better ;)

TM2YC said:
Luke's line reference to "Sidious" will be removed from my fanedit (if possible) so all trace of the prequels being acknowledged as something that actually happened is removed :D .

An approach like that is basically spitting on every faneditor who worked to make the prequels palatable.

Barabba said:
TM2YC said:
Luke's line reference to "Sidious" will be removed from my fanedit (if possible) so all trace of the prequels being acknowledged as something that actually happened is removed :D .

An approach like that is basically spitting on every faneditor who worked to make the prequels palatable.

No one is spitting on anyone for having a different approach on editing a movie.

Barabba said:

tenor.gif

FYI, https://ifdb.fanedit.org/fanedit-se...e=title&keywords=Star+wars+reborn&order=rdate

Going back to see this a 2nd time tomorrow - chiefly because I'm visiting family and none of them have seen it yet. Will be interesting to see how I find it on 2nd viewing now I know what's coming. How enjoyable will it be with the shock factor removed?

When EP VII came out I saw it twice. Was really disappointed first viewing, but really enjoyed it 2nd time round. Hype and expectations are a powerful thing.

Back
Top Bottom