• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars - The Force Awakens (SPOILERS Thread)

njvc said:
Hopefully there are some quality deleted scenes too.

It sure felt like there were some missing scenes, maybe to keep the runtime close to 2 hours. I sure hope that is the case.

Me too. I'd like a more complete feeling extended cut.

DominicCobb said:
Don't think so. I only counted three planets total (Jakku, Takadona, Starkiller Base), with a quick look at a fourth (pseudo-Coruscant).

You are missing D'Qar which is where the resistance is on. And THAT is the point, Takadona and Q'dar could and should be the same planet.

revel911 said:
You are missing D'Qar which is where the resistance is on. And THAT is the point, Takadona and Q'dar could and should be the same planet.

D'Qar is in D'Garage.

I'll see myself out.

Watching Abrams movies is a bit like hanging out with a funny friend who makes fun of me and calls me an idiot. I'm simultaneously insulted and entertained. Its very infuriating, but I can't stop hanging out with the guy!

He is a great action director. He is a great actor director. He is great at hitting the right emotional beats and overall tone of a movie. He is absolutely terrible at telling a cohesive story with internal consistency (and thus believability). This IMO makes him a terrible science fiction director. He is no James Cameron or Steven Spielberg.

I give this movie a thumbs up. I rank it #4. I'll watch it again. And I can't wait for a fanedited version (even though I'm not sure fanediting can completely fix it).

revel911 said:
They weren't? Hmm, guess I'll have to see the film again. UGH

I will say yes, this film is very super fast. There's so much going on and you barely get a chance to catch your breath and figure certain things out. I sort of like it because it never lets up and it fun from beginning to end, but there's a lot of unanswered questions and you're definitely left wanting more of a lot of things (which I suppose isn't really a bad thing).

Just saw it and really enjoyed it too. My thoughts echo pretty much what has been said already. A great piece of entertainment. The only thing that prevents it from being perfect movie is the recycle New Hope elements.

With that said, my daughter who has only watched bits and pieces of the various SW films ( I hang my head in shame, I have not been able to fully convert her to the sci-fi side...lol. Like most kids her age, she is a Harry Potter addict lol), absolutely LOVED this movie and is now filled with questions about the previous two trilogies and wants to watch them. So well done Disney!

So it seems very clear to me Rey was a student of Luke's Jedi Academy (what did Yoda call them, Younglings?), and though she does not seem to remember it, has some training, thus I was willing to accept how quickly she adapted to using the Force and was able to defeat Kylo Ren (who, according to Snoke, has not completed his training).

I too think Rey is Luke's daughter. And I think Leia recognized her. I think there is a strong subtext to when they hug. I think it was more than just grieving for Han. I think it is also why Rey was sent alone to find Luke. But I could be completely wrong.... lol

I wonder if there are any other Skywalker siblings running around?

I can not help but feel bad for SW who invested heavily into the Expanded Universe, only to see it relegated to myth with this movie. Though I think I would have preferred Thrawn over the little I saw of Snoke.

Already planning of seeing it again next weekend!

I wonder if STAR TREK BEYOND will be as good? :D

geminigod said:
I give this movie a thumbs up. I rank it #4. I'll watch it again. And I can't wait for a fanedited version (even though I'm not sure fanediting can completely fix it).

I actually would tie this with Jedi, but to your point I do not know if a fan edit can fix this film. Yes, you can remove the tentacles, and hopefully someone can think of a way ti get rid of R2 just happening to wake up randomly with the finished map (worst part of the whole movie for me), help bring up the music a bit, but the pacing is going to be hard to slow down without cutting necessary elements. And please someone think of a way to make that Rey finding the light saber less random.

bionicbob said:
I can not help but feel bad for SW who invested heavily into the Expanded Universe, only to see it relegated to myth with this movie. Though I think I would have preferred Thrawn over the little I saw of Snoke.

Thrawn would have been so bad ass.

I've never understood the appeal of Thrawn. I read those books when they first came out and found them pretty forgettable and haven't been much interested in EU stuff since. IIRC Thrawn seemed to be Tarkin-esque but with blue skin. Not very imaginative. I thought Snoke was a weak link in this movie too though.

I also smiled at JJ's putting the number 47 into it, and Greg Grunberg. ;)

One of the most interesting things about the new movie to me at least is the character of Finn. He doesn't fit any of the hero tropes, he's not particularly good at anything or strong as a person or brave. He is both flawed and weak but also endearing in his earnestness and willingness to grow. I'll be interested in seeing whether he adopts a more traditional role in the next films as a Han Solo sharp shooter type or if he becomes a brand new kind of antihero that can find his own niche. I'm very happy with Boyega probably my favorite of the new cast even though so far his character isn't my favorite, but certainly growing on me.

revel911 said:
and hopefully someone can think of a way ti get rid of R2 just happening to wake up randomly with the finished map (worst part of the whole movie for me)

There have been an awakening!

No seriously I saw it like if Luke woke up R2 from distance because he also felt the awakening to the Force of Rey.
To me it was no surprise for Luke to see Rey at the end. He waited for her.

jerick said:
One of the most interesting things about the new movie to me at least is the character of Finn. He doesn't fit any of the hero tropes, he's not particularly good at anything or strong as a person or brave. He is both flawed and weak but also endearing in his earnestness and willingness to grow. I'll be interested in seeing whether he adopts a more traditional role in the next films as a Han Solo sharp shooter type or if he becomes a brand new kind of antihero that can find his own niche. I'm very happy with Boyega probably my favorite of the new cast even though so far his character isn't my favorite, but certainly growing on me.

I want to know his long term plans, because you could almost pull Finn out of the story and he wouldn't be missed.

Moe_Syzlak said:
I've never understood the appeal of Thrawn. I read those books when they first came out and found them pretty forgettable and haven't been much interested in EU stuff since. IIRC Thrawn seemed to be Tarkin-esque but with blue skin. Not very imaginative. I thought Snoke was a weak link in this movie too though.

Curious would anything be lost by removing Snoke entirely?

RLM posts their thoughts:
[video=youtube_share;AvsiJppCdmk]

emanswfan said:
RLM posts their thoughts:

Nice. Lots of LOLs starting with the way Mike said I loved it? It was everything I hoped it would be? and on to the clips of Carrie Fisher and George Lucas.

These guys have been doing deadpan irony so long they won't act enthusiastic even when they feel it. (And then again maybe filming at 4 in the morning wipes out some enthusiasm too.)

I just came back from seeing The Force Awakens. I absolutely loved it. In my opinion, this is the best Star Wars film we had since The Empire Strikes Back, and while I still think Empire is the best, Force Awakens comes at a close second. My views may change after multiple viewings, these are first thoughts in my mind after all. But right now, I'm very satisfied. Star Wars, like everyone else is saying, is really back.

Is there anything that I didn't like? Well, I certainly remember that during viewing there were some stuff that I didn't like, but those were very little things, and I can't remember them very much.

Something I'll defend from you guys right now is the scene with the thughs and the squids. I thought it was essential for establishing the character of Han at that moment, and we learned he's still up to no good with thugs and gangsters, and he's still the Han we know and love. It's kind of nostalgic, and it reminded me of the Greedo scene from ANH (Han shot first, dammit ;) )

I'll probably see it again very soon with a more critical point of view than a nostalgic and fun point of view, then after that I may see it yet again for a fanedit point of view, and after that just fun again. I'm allowed to have this much fun when Star Wars comes back, dammit xD

I liked it a lot though I agree with a lot of the quibbles. There was definitely a little too much of soft reboot feel to it. If Starkiller Base had just been a base where the FO was assembling a massive army/fleet and not a super weapon, I think it would've been better.

But as much as it felt like a return to form for Star Wars movies, I also felt like something was missing. After reflection and only one viewing, I think that it's missing those moments that make Star Wars feel simultaneously enormous and personal. Those moments for me are the binary sunset and "the force will be with you...always" after the Death Star destruction in ANH. And the Yoda's raising the Xwing in ESB. These moments were obviously immensely helped by the musical cues. Did anyone else feel this sort of moment/feeling was missing? If not, what scene(s) did that for you?

On the third viewing I noticed a little detail in Rey's shack. She's got what looks like a homemade OT era X-wing pilot ragdoll. Presumably she had this when she was abandoned on Jakku as a child. Maybe it had some special significance, maybe one or both of her parents were Rebel pilots in the battle of Jakku.

Is this the father Rey is looking for?

wedge%20antilles.gif

(Or maybe it might tie into Rogue One?)

It also occured to me that Rey is pretty much the exact same character as Anakin was in TPM... only well written and well acted ;-).

On the Rey subject, I was totally humming her theme when I left the cinema. The soundtrack is growing on me.

Back
Top Bottom