• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars - The Force Awakens (SPOILERS Thread)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
njvc said:
TM2YC, I'm pretty sure that was Coruscant

The system destroyed gets mentioned by Hux I believe, and it wasn't Coruscant (Which is it's own system). A fanedit could remove that dialogue and insert a scene of some boring Senate meeting happening as the fire rains down :lol:.

Neosmith

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, does Luke's speech from the trailer actually show up in the movie or is that on the cutting room floor? And can anyone point to any deleted scenes/shots/things that don't show up but is present in trailers, tv spots, etc.?

yads

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I liked it quite a lot. I think the first hour is pretty great - Ridley in particular does a good job.

The middle section is a little muddled, although after just one viewing I can't pinpoint exactly why.

And then the 3rd act is the most problematic, primarily because of the Starkiller Base.

Almost immediately after leaving the cinema I started considering ways to fan edit some of the issues I had out of the movie. Mainly:

1) There were too many fan service callbacks. The three I'd cut: Finn and the chessboard, the 14 parsecs bit and the trash compactor bit.

2) The smuggler and tentactle monster scene. It may be impossible to cut the whole scene as otherwise presumably Rey would just have gone straight back to Jakku, but something about that whole scene was off. I can't explain it in more detail after just seeing the movie once, but it didn't work for me at all.

3) The last shot: surely it should have been on Luke's face not on the swirling around wide shot?

4) And this is the big one, and something I'm not sure is possible. I'd love to get rid of the Starkiller Base plotline altogether.

I'll go into more detail about this one...

I'd heard the criticism over and over again before seeing the film that it was basically just a remake of ANH, but I didn't feel that way until the 3rd act. It's really only with the Starkiller Base that it becomes too familiar. Plus, that whole storyline felt like they were going through the motions, giving us a new Death Star out of some contractual obligation with the fans. It's hardly mentioned until it destroys that system, and the final big battle didn't grab me at all. It was unexciting, predictable and dragged down the last act.

So I'd propose having Ren kidnap Rey and take her to the base, which is some unnamed First Order base on that world. Then you have Han and co come to rescue her, you have the lightsaber battle, Han and Chewie set the detonators and blow it up from the inside.

I'll repeat that I've only seen the movie once so it's entirely possible there is some structural reason you need the Starkiller Base and the whole Death Star Redux element to the movie. But the only one I can think of, is if that system destroyed is Coruscant. If so... well, that's the end of that idea. But if it's some other, relatively insignificant system to the wider trilogy story then I hope we could cut it all.

It would make the final battle much smaller and more personal, more akin to TESB than ANH - but for most of the runtime it felt quite small and personal anyway, and the whole Starkiller thing was shoehorned in pretty gracelessly to give them the big bombastic ending that didn't feel earned or even necessary.

I'm slightly hungover today so hopefully that all made sense.

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am personally okay with the Star Killer base. It seems ver "villainy" to think .... let's just make the base bigger! Though I do agree with this statement "
but for most of the runtime it felt quite small and personal anyway, and the whole Starkiller thing was shoehorned in pretty gracelessly to give then the big bombastic ending that didn't feel earned or even necessary.

The plot I would cut is the planet where the cantina is at. Why does it need to be a different planet than the one the reistence is on?

Also, why is the lightsaber there? Felt VERY forced .... couldn't Lea have given them the light saber.

Last and to the thing that ticks me off the most about the movie. Why is R2 randomly tuned off and then randomly turns on at the end. Why not have him charging and then he just hits complete at the end.

Hal9000 said:
This probably sounds like a weird thing to complain about, but I feel like the pacing was too quick and doesn't really leave the film with much breathing room.

No, you are right. The first movies showed between 3-4 planets, with this one showing. like 6-7.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neosmith said:
So, does Luke's speech from the trailer actually show up in the movie or is that on the cutting room floor? And can anyone point to any deleted scenes/shots/things that don't show up but is present in trailers, tv spots, etc.?

Luke has no lines in the movie. At all. He turns around and that's it.
Kylo igniting his cross-sabre in the snowy forests of Starkiller is not in there
Rey's "I'm noone" line is'nt in there
"I see your eyes, I know your eyes" isn't in there.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I loved it. The only nitpick I have is that the score is a bit underwhelming. I enjoyed pretty much every second of it otherwise.

yads

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought of a fifth edit I'd like to see. The fight between Ren and Rey. I understand that Kylo Ren was injured and in mental turmoil after killing Han but I still don't think she should have had the upper hand like that. Maybe more of a 50/50 fight, or with Rey just hanging on.

It's a crude analogy, but it would be like Luke from ANH picking up a lightsaber for the first time and beating up Luke from TESB. It also, arguably, takes away from Rey's character arc of (presumably) becoming a great jedi if she's already able to do damage to a Sith Knight of Ren.

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
I loved it. The only nitpick I have is that the score is a bit underwhelming. I enjoyed pretty much every second of it otherwise.

I was missing a few of the classics, especially the Imperial March.

It also, arguably, takes away from Rey's character arc of (presumably) becoming a great jedi if she's already able to do damage to a Sith Knight of Ren.

Especially since we got the assumption that he beat all of the other students. The one thing with Rey over Luke is that have already showed that she proficient and can fight with melee weapons, so fighting at least seems plausible.

I'll repeat that I've only seen the movie once so it's entirely possible there is some structural reason you need the Starkiller Base and the whole Death Star Redux element to the movie. But the only one I can think of, is if that system destroyed is Coruscant. If so... well, that's the end of that idea. But if it's some other, relatively insignificant system to the wider trilogy story then I hope we could cut it all.

It would make the final battle much smaller and more personal, more akin to TESB than ANH - but for most of the runtime it felt quite small and personal anyway, and the whole Starkiller thing was shoehorned in pretty gracelessly to give then the big bombastic ending that didn't feel earned or even necessary.

Could it be that Poe feels obligated to help Finn because Finn helped him escape so he is running a diversion as they blow it up from the inside?

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yads said:
There were too many fan service callbacks. The three I'd cut: Finn and the chessboard

I like your fanediting ideas, although I did like how Chewie perked up when he saw the chessboard like a cat following a laser pointer dot. Also I bet some effects shop rebuilt each of those chessboard puppets and hand animated them in stop motion.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw it twice last night, I loved it and it was exactly what I wanted it to be. It felt familiar yet fresh, respectful yet different, and above all was a great piece of adventure entertainment.

I see the flaws, I'm aware of the flaws. There's too much coincidence. There are many elements that feel a little too similar to ANH. Some of the backstory could've used a little more fleshing out. It's all executed so flawlessly that I just don't care. It works despite these shortcomings (Not unlike another franchise restart helmed by Abrams)

The new characters are all wonderful. I'm especially a fan boy for Poe Dameron, the most infectiously heroic of the new guys. John Boyega had wonderful comic timing and I can't imagine anyone not falling in love with Daisy Ridley. Kylo Ren really surprised me with how deep and complex the character was, and it was played just right by Adam Driver.

All in all, I absolutely cannot wait to see what Rian Johnson does with the next one.

ManicGuy1989

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neosmith said:
So, does Luke's speech from the trailer actually show up in the movie or is that on the cutting room floor??

That was dialogue from ROTJ. I'd always assumed they'd ripped it straight from Jedi for nostalgia purposes for the trailer. I never expected to here it in the film.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ManicGuy1989 said:
That was dialogue from ROTJ. I'd always assumed they'd ripped it straight from Jedi for nostalgia purposes for the trailer. I never expected to here it in the film.

Had they used a new recording, I'd be more inclined to believe that it may have been intended for use in the movie but as it stands I don't think so. Besides, there are one or two callbacks to the OT as it is. :)

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius, I know your eyes, I see your eyes was spoken to Finn, wasn't it? They just spliced that together with her lines spoken to Rey later "It's calling to you, let it in". Typical trailer fashion - splicing two unconnected pieces of dialogue together to throw us off the scent!

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ManicGuy1989 said:

I remember reading an interview with Mark Hamill where he said he recorded that specifically for the trailer.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dangermouse said:
Zarius, I know your eyes, I see your eyes was spoken to Finn, wasn't it?

Yeah, the trailers gave me the impression she was talking to Rey there

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Were there any refrences to the prequels in TFA? I cannot think of any.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Were there any refrences to the prequels in TFA? I cannot think of any.

Other than the first line of dialogue? ;)

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just got out of the movie gave it a solid 7/10. Agree with pretty much everything said here but I wouldn't want anything edited out. I hope this is the last of the major callbacks to the original trilogy. I don't want Rey's parents to be any main character force wielder and I'll quit the series entirely if Finns father is Lando.

My favorite part strangely is how much was left out. I was afraid the movie would shrink the world but instead it feels like a small piece of a much larger story. Did anyone else notice that Luke seemed to be standing by a gravestone? His wife maybe? That would open some exciting possibilities. I really like the nods to the EU. I hope this trilogy opens the door to a reimagining of the Thrawn trilogy.

My least favorite part was Starkiller Base. I don't like that the resistance could be largely defeated by a super weapon housed in the same system as them. Now if the movie had explained how covertly the First Order had retrofitted a baron lifeless world that no one ever monitored into a super weapon right under the nose of the resistance then that would have been awesome. Without the explanation however it just seems like lazy storytelling designed to make the resistance the prohibitive underdogs like the rebels before them.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
Other than the first line of dialogue? ;)

What was that? My memory is terrible.

Neosmith

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Were there any refrences to the prequels in TFA? I cannot think of any.​
They did have a shout-out to using a clone army and the term "Sith" is invoked, even though it wasn't used until the prequels.

Top Bottom