• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars - The Force Awakens (SPOILERS Thread)

Moe_Syzlak said:
History repeating itself as a theme is fine and dandy. But it has to be executed well. This wasn't IMO. Making everything EXACTLY the same made the history repeating feel reductive and lazy and fan service. I might have felt differently if Rey was on some planet other than a desert planet, etc. To have that theme work it has to feel like a its recurring  not completely repeating. But it was stilll way better than than the PT.

Personally I agree with Moe, though given that I'm ok with Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith and am 50/50 with Attack of the Clones, I disagree with the last sentence but only story and character wise. Technically Force Awakens is better but story and charcter wise, which is what I find most important in a film, I prefer the Prequels, even though their tone is awkward & all over the place and the writing, dialogue and execution is quite poor. Force Awakens is the opposite to me. Much better technically and in writing, dialogue and execution but story and character wise quite poor, at least in my opinion.

aydjBvb_700b.jpg

Hmm, could ssj have uncovered the real reveal of Snoke's parentage? If you take those horns of that little blue head, I'm pretty sure we have a perfect match.

The real reason the Jedi keep falling....they conceal and don't feel...

See this ancient Sith holocron that explains it all

If you don't like TFA, you need to let it go :p

Let me try to explain my feelings on TFA a bit more: I understand why everyone loves the movie and I respect that very much.

Getting Rey out of the way, I only wish she had more relatable character flaws and didn't inexplicably do amazing things. I don't hate her, it's not a bad character and I'm even happy that she's becoming a role model for little Star Wars fans. I just don't find her relatable when she doesn't have any character flaws and when she inexplicably does amazing things she normally couldn't have done, better than everyone else.

The reset and history repeating itself don't seem to bother others and they like the family tragedy aspect. Like I said, the reset, remake or history repeating itself isn't the thing that bothers me. The family tragedy aspect is the reason I really dislike the plot. Their character arcs were done, everyone got their character development and it ended in Return of the Jedi. Luke was set up to create a new, better Jedi Order, Leia was set up to learn the ways of the Force and Han was set up to end his smuggling ways after the Jabba fiasco, continue being a General for the New Republic along with Lando and be a faithful husband to Leia. After their character arcs ending like this perfectly, I just can't accept that shortly after that they would end up in tragedy, death and darkness. I feel like it ruined everything the OT accomplished with those characters. If you guys can accept that, more power to you, I just can't let it go ;) (sorry, I had to say that)

P.S. Love that pic :D

Masirimso17 said:
Let me try to explain my feelings on TFA a bit more: I understand why everyone loves the movie and I respect that very much . . .

Not necessarily.
I suspect there are many members who disliked - detested - loathed Force Awakens.
For us, it cannot be "fixed" so there is no reason to join the fray.
This thread is more interesting, to me, than the movie itself.

Vultural said:
I suspect there are many members who disliked - detested - loathed Force Awakens.
For us, it cannot be "fixed" so there is no reason to join the fray.

Statistically speaking, this is likely true.

Vultural said:
For us, it cannot be "fixed".... 
This thread is more interesting, to me, than the movie itself.

I disliked the movie,  and still don't care for the original version. I do however believe it can be fixed. 

I'm with you on the interesting nature of this thread.

Over on ot.com, where there is (obviously) much more TFA discussion, people loved it, people hated it, people were conflicted on it.  Much like most movies.

N
DominicCobb said:
The thing that people miss to is that the idea of history repeating itself is very much a part of one of the central themes of the film. 

The main characters all have more or less the same arc: can you ever rise above the life you're born into?/can you really cause change?
- Rey has spent nearly her whole life in a rut as a scavenger on Jakku, and seems intent to continue, waiting for her family. Though the film, she realizes she can move on to have a better life elsewhere. 
- Finn likewise has spent his whole life as a stormtrooper. He makes the decision early to escape, but it takes him a bit to realize he can be more than simply a fugitive - he can be part of the resistance.
- Han, having seen his effort as a father fail in the worst way, has fallen back on what he's always known - smuggling. His arc here thrusts him back towards his family and at the bitter end he finally makes a selfless sacrifice for his son.
- Even Kylo/Ben fits in, though possibly to the dismay of the heroes. This is a guy who's grown up with the calling to be a Jedi, and has more recently been seduced into the dark side by Snoke. So for him, there's a dual question of if he can make a change within himself - can he finally fully reject the light that has always been there? or can he finally escape the grasp of the manipulative Snoke? 

On the macro level, in regards to the galactic conflict at play, Maz touches on it perfectly. There's always going to be the dark side, and they'll always be grabbing power. The ultimate question is, can we rise above it and cause change? Can we face it, fight it?

I believe the film is a lot more thematically coherent than anyone gives it credit for (and I didn't even get into how the concept of family plays into all of it). A highly entertaining film that is also in some ways the most emotionally rewarding of the franchise thus far.

DominicCobb said:
Well agree to disagree on quality of execution. I think saying "EXACTLY" the same is a little silly as things were quite a bit different. 

Also, Rey living on a desert planet but it not being Tatooine seems to me at least like recurring, not repeating. It's the same idea of the talented kid in the middle of nowhere, without the fan service of Tatooine. Environment is similar, sure, but the classic Tatooine elements are missing (Tusken raiders, Jawas, Hutts, cantinas, etc.). It's just that visually there's nothing more desolate than a desert planet. But it's important to note that Rey's situation is quite different from Luke's as well, it's just the fact that she's stuck in the desert that's the same.

But of course that's just one aspect of the film, and that's just one person's opinion.

It's the combination of factors for me. There's too much fan service and too much repetition. Together it feels unoriginal. But even that might be overlooked if ther wasn't so much laziness. Things just happen for convenience of moving the story towards the things the movie wants to happen with little logic or explanation given. You'd almost think it was a Christopher Nolan film the way inexplicable things happen just because. Is it the desert or the Starkiller, etc alone  that made me lukewarm on the movie? Yes and no. It's the totality of all of it. I could've overlooked many of the flaws but they were just piled too high for me. The good news is I really liked the 3 or 4 new leads. So I'm hopeful for the next one. Snoke worries me. I wasn't a fan of that character. The thing that held the OT together for me was that it was a well packaged story that had an almost primal (archetypal) connection to the human spirit and its desire for a sense of destiny. That will be hard to recapture but that's what TFA has set up despite its flaws. Eight has to be better though.

Those are complaints I can understand. While there are themes of history repeating, that was far from my first thought, which was "this is really Star Wars!". My second thought was "this really is just 'Star Wars'". I had a lot of thoughts during the film but that definitely came up, and the thought that it was intentional to establish a theme only came to me recently.
Snoke looked fake, so did Maz. Should have been makeup and a puppet respectively.
And plot conveniences were definitely present.
They're valid complaints, and I get that for some they could ruin the movie. I also get that some didn't like the conflict reset button being pressed on the returning characters' happy endings.

I guess the difference is I tried to focus on the good things. Namely, this is really Star Wars, and it's nothing like the prequels. And the other stuff listed before in the thread.

Yeah. I remember saying when the movie came out that even though some of the beats are the same, with so many new characters and environments, having similar beats helped to establish that this is still Star Wars - that while the galaxy turns, the mythos stay the same.

addiesin said:
Those are complaints I can understand. While there are themes of history repeating, that was far from my first thought, which was "this is really Star Wars!". My second thought was "this really is just 'Star Wars'". I had a lot of thoughts during the film but that definitely came up, and the thought that it was intentional to establish a theme only came to me recently.
Snoke looked fake, so did Maz. Should have been makeup and a puppet respectively.
And plot conveniences were definitely present.
They're valid complaints, and I get that for some they could ruin the movie. I also get that some didn't like the conflict reset button being pressed on the returning characters' happy endings.

I guess the difference is I tried to focus on the good things. Namely, this is really Star Wars, and it's nothing like the prequels. And the other stuff listed before in the thread.

I felt Maz was done quite well. I get the CGI-ness, but felt no different than Gollum. Now, Snoke looked terrible, so was real glad Digi took the idea to make him look a Star Wars hologram for his fan edit. MASS improvement.

DominicCobb said:
Yeah. I remember saying when the movie came out that even though some of the beats are the same, with so many new characters and environments, having similar beats helped to establish that this is still Star Wars - that while the galaxy turns, the mythos stay the same.

Agree except I'd change "helped to establish that this is still Star Wars" to "helped to establish that this is Star Wars again".

Which TFA fanedits are available?

Apart from Restructured? Can't seem to find any others but i'm crap at searching for fanedits  :blush:

skribb said:
Which TFA fanedits are available?

Apart from Restructured? Can't seem to find any others but i'm crap at searching for fanedits  :blush:

The 'Fanedits - Fixes, Mixes & TV' forum is for finished fanedits. Post moved.

Yes 'Restructured' is the only one on ifdb so far. There are other in-the-works here: Fanedits IN-THE-WORKS

Deleted scene from A Force Awakens....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRFrY8NFfAQ[/video]

While nice to see Chewie's legendary ferocious side, it is sadly just another homage scene to A New Hope.  As fun as the movie was, I truly wish it had been more original than thematic remake.

That should have happened when Han was killed. 

Can you imagine Kylo walking back to put on his helmet, Rey and Finn crying, and Chewie just charging at Kylo, ripping his arm off and hitting him with it until a Stormtrooper gets in and starts shooting?

Kylo only having one arm would have explained why he kinda gets owned in the lightsaber fight, then he could get a robot arm in the next episode and be one step closer to becoming his grandfather. 

But no. Whatever. The deleted scene was entertaining, though.

then he would be kylo ren, the winter jedi.

Back
Top Bottom