• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars: The Coaxium Heist

Me after countless hours of trying to color correct this film...
TerribleIcyCollie-max-1mb.gif

Here's a video that shows some of the differences between the trailer and the film.

Huge shout out to everyone who takes on color correction.

DigModiFicaTion said:
Me after countless hours of trying to color correct this film...
TerribleIcyCollie-max-1mb.gif

Maybe someone at Original-Trilogy might be able to help you with the grading. I remember DrDre creating a great regrade LUT for "The Last Jedi".

Here's a video that shows some of the differences between the trailer and the film.

Which of the two do you prefer: the trailer's color grade, or that of the final movie?

Definitely the trailer. The blue overlay is what I originally set out to remove. But, many are asking for something a little more vibrant so I'm trying to find a happy medium.

Yeah, the trailer looks much better in my opinion. Good luck with your colour correction! :)

I stepped away from this project for almost 2 weeks just to give myself some fresh eyes on it. I just finished up the final touches and started the render. This one is done and should be available in the next few days. :)
My utmost respect goes out to all you colo(u)r correction all stars out there. You know who you are ;)

A little disappointed. My Thor edit was a test for using an iTunes file as a source and it worked great, imho. After a few renders of The Coaxium Heist I'm just not satisfied with what is being produced from my Solo iTunes source. I've tried a total change up to the color correction to see if it's due to the secondary correctors I have in place, but it's still looking softer and more pixelated than I was expecting. I don't want to increase the bitrate higher than the source as it won't really do anything besides inflate the file size.....sigh

I'll be hunting for a good price on a Solo Blu Ray to create a lossless source. I originally told myself that I didn't want this movie, then a great price on a digital code presented itself and I gave it a go. After the many hours of interacting with this film I've become pretty fond of it. I should have just bought the Blu Ray to begin with and stopped kidding myself that I wouldn't buy a Star Wars movie....I bought TLJ and I thought Solo was better.... :rolleyes:

DigModiFicaTion said:
I'll be hunting for a good price on a Solo Blu Ray to create a lossless source.

Have you ever used an Amazon price tracker? I use one called Keepa, although there are several others as well. You can set the price you're willing to pay for an item in three different categories (direct from Amazon, third-party new, and third-party used), and get an email notification whenever it drops below your desired price.

Right now, "Solo: A Star Wars Story" can be gotten new from a third-party seller on Amazon starting at $9.32. There are several different Blu-ray releases, each with different prices. Here are the three that are currently the cheapest:

https://www.amazon.com/SOLO-STAR-WARS-STORY-Blu-ray/dp/B07CQKKFKB/

https://www.amazon.com/Wm-Solo-Star-Blu-ray-Joonas-Suotamo-Ehrenreich/dp/B07FDVCMFG/

https://www.amazon.com/Solo-Star-Story-Blu-ray-Region/dp/B07D5LFM7H/

You can also shop around on other sites (eBay, Barnes & Noble, etc).

Thanks for the heads up.

My apologies to those who have been following the edit. I didn't mean to create unnecessary hype. I want to make sure the edit is the best it can be before calling it done.

For those who can't wait I can share a workprint for feedback on narrative.

Bought the Blu ray today. Now to rip, prep, and hope the replacement of the iTunes source file matches..

Watching through the bonus features and found what Solo should have looked like in the snow. Also, I'll probably reinstate one or more of the deleted scenes after reviewing them.

Unfiltered (bonus disc)
vPjxFDml.jpg

Official release
POq6Dofl.jpg

Using Dr. Dre's Color Matching Tool, I compared snippets of snow and the black bar at the bottom of those two photos to create a LUT and color matching model. (It's not possible to compare the whole photos, as they are not identical in composition.) Thus, I was able to turn this:

fOjQeAuZ_o.jpg

Into this:

rySCKcR5_o.jpg

Which I was able to use mere brightness and contrast adjustments in a photo editor to turn into this:

cIIP4dxw_o.jpg

These are the two snippets that I fed into the program in order to create the LUT and color matching model (the first one is taken from the movie screencap, the second from the behind-the-scenes image):

i84jKq6J_o.jpg
uFWEiEh5_o.jpg

By using the same color matching model on other parts of the movie, I was able to get some very promising results. In order not to take up too much space in the thread, I have put them in spoiler tags.

I was then able to turn this:

7m3dM4NQ_o.jpg

Into this:

U6WfomFM_o.jpg

Which some contrast adjustments turned into this:

UXbPPzLd_o.jpg

I was also able to turn this:

TpCXNrN1_o.jpg

Into this:

bJ5i3qw3_o.jpg

Which some brightness and contrast adjustments turned into this:

xws037VN_o.jpg

If you're interested in using the LUT, you can download it from this link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T8RKjSpZHRYtFtAI4abJwBi9mAaYNr5k/view?usp=sharing

Obviously, the LUT alone isn't good enough to create your final color grade, but it could possibly help you strip away a bunch of the ugly grading of the theatrical cut in order to have something better to start with as the source of your final grade.

Maybe something similar (possibly even better) could be achieved using Dr Dre's Color Matching Tool by comparing parts of some of the Entertainment Weekly photos or other behind-the-scenes images with matching portions from screencaps of the movie.

NOTE: My good monitor went on the fritz about a week ago. As a result, I am currently using an ancient CRT monitor with horrible picture quality (especially when it comes to contrast and brightness) and can't accurately tell exactly what photos look like. As such, I essentially working blind. Whatever my results actually look like, I'm sure that you can improve on them with your equipment.

^^^ I like the results you get with the colour matching tool - much better. Not keen, however, on the changes you then made with the contrast. It only needs a little bit to make the images less pale, atm it looks a bit too dark and saturated to me.

The Scribbling Man said:
^^^ I like the results you get with the colour matching tool - much better. Not keen, however, on the changes you then made with the contrast. It only needs a little bit to make the images less pale, atm it looks a bit too dark and saturated to me.

Agree.

The Scribbling Man said:
Not keen, however, on the changes you then made with the contrast. It only needs a little bit to make the images less pale, atm it looks a bit too dark and saturated to me.

I'm having to use a bad monitor, so what looks good on my screen might not actually look good.

hbenthow said:
NOTE: My good monitor went on the fritz about a week ago. As a result, I am currently using an ancient CRT monitor with horrible picture quality (especially when it comes to contrast and brightness) and can't accurately tell exactly what photos look like. As such, I essentially working blind. Whatever my results actually look like, I'm sure that you can improve on them with your equipment.

hbenthow said:

Apologies! I missed that.  :D

I've used the color match plug in in Vegas and gotten similar results. Any adjustment to contrast are creating some pretty gnarly color spectrum visual artifacts in the shadows when I render test clips. I tried to load it into Da Vinci Resolve, but apparently the program doesn't accept .ts files. Getting back that pristine white creates major issues with the shadows being way too red. Space all of a sudden looks like the soft glow of a fire instead of the dark void. Secondary color correctiong also has it's limits with this movie. I can't understand why the team in charge thought this was a good color grade......

I've yet to try and do the replace file in my project thread as I loaded the blu ray sourced files on my more powerful computer.

Knowing nothing about this stuff, is it possible the color grading is to try to mask the differences in the two different filmmakers footage? I know with music, I’ll sometimes record two separate tracks that are supposedly to match but they don’t. So I’ll re-amp the tracks to kind of smooth out the differences.

Back
Top Bottom