• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars: The Coaxium Heist

DigModiFicaTion said:
Well, after months of off and on color correction attempts on this one, I think I'm going to concede that I just can't get the color where I want it without it creating visual clashes across the entire story. I achieved editing wise what I wanted to do so I am going to officially call this one done, for now, and render a final version. To liven up the picture I've simply added some brightness, a tad bit of sharpening and increased the saturation by 1/2. I'll post when the render is done and verified and then this one will be done.

As per the advice of TM2YC, here are the updated posters and logo:

logo.png

the-coaxium-heist-han-poaster-july.png

the-coaxium-heist-blue-poaster-july-compressed.png

poster-alt.png

Excellent work with the logo. I much prefer that to my attempt.

Well I tried my hardest to just let this one be done, then that nagging feeling inside made me take one more stab at the color regrade. As with most things that don't work, if you just start at square one you usually can utilize everything you've learned and make it better. Thankfully that happened here. I just watched through the file and I'm super pleased with the color regrade. I gave on the space scenes and left in the blue when they are in the nebula. I also left Proxima's lair blue as it's a plot point for the worms. I also have a blue light in my house that is similar so removing it just kind of seemed pointless. The falcon interior shots are white instead of blue unless the room is directly exposed to space (cockpit/gun turret). The blue hue is lessened or removed from all scenes as much as possible throughout. The train heist preserves the dawn lighting, but the blue shadows are greatly diminished. The snow is now white instead of blue. All colors have been sharpened by a factor of x.5 or x.75 depending on the scene and environment. I think it makes the image really pop and I hope everyone else enjoys it too.

I've never created an actual disc for any of my edits so I'm moving away from creating case/disc art and more toward just a poster for my plex server. So, unless someone is adamant about wanting case art, or is willing to make some, I'm just going to stick with a poster for the release.

Thanks again to everyone who has patiently waited for nearly 8 months for this project to be finished. It would have been easy to just call it quits on the color correction, but I'd say that this edit and all of its color issues really helped me improve an area that I've felt very lacking in. Of course, that's just my personal perception. I'll let all of you decide whether the color hits the mark or flops. The edit should be available tomorrow evening via the usual channel.

Again, thanks to everyone and your on going encouragement. I appreciate everyone who shares positivity and helps each other improve. :)

Congrats! Look forward to seeing the result. :)

Can’t wait for this, an exercise in persistence has paid off, congratulations on finishing!

Sistros alerted me to what appears to be a lag in the falcon movement when it takes off from Savareen. After checking the uploaded files and then comparing them with the source file it does look like there's a slight stumble to the movement of the falcon. The particular scene is a multi-layered/masked scene and I'm wondering if that, coupled with the 10+ secondary color corrections added to each of the particular video clips/layers, created some issues for Vegas in the final render. I'll be looking at this particular couple of seconds to see what I need to do to fix the movement. It looks like there's a 95% speed adjustment on it, though I've not seen this stumble when I've used that speed in other places/edits. I appreciate Sistros alerting me. I'll let everyone know when I can get a v2 up and available.

^ I haven't had a chance to watch the edit itself yet, but I just watched that moment a few times, and I honestly wouldn't even have noticed had I not been looking for it. If anything, the mild lag is kinda charming, in a throwback to imperfect model work kind of way. But Han's macho moment is gone?! The biggest laugh in the movie?! :p

^Good news is that out of the many people who've assumingly watched it, only one has thought it a bit odd. I wanted to let people know.

Yeah the gag is gone. It was just too focused and felt like a gag for me to leave it. The real downer for me is the shower scene. I just couldn't get it to work with the transition and had to axe it.

DigModiFicaTion said:
The real downer for me is the shower scene. I just couldn't get it to work with the transition and had to axe it.

I worked at the transition for my edit, swapped things around a little, used the OST to smooth out the music. Have a look, feel free to use the idea if it helps.
password: fanedit.org

Hey Dig, I just wanted to say congrats on getting this ambitious Star Wars edit of yours. Just a quick inquiry—you say in your cutlist that you choose to reduce the level of profane language in your edits. Why is that? :)

Motleys Fanedits said:
Hey Dig, I just wanted to say congrats on getting this ambitious Star Wars edit of yours. Just a quick inquiry—you say in your cutlist that you choose to reduce the level of profane language in your edits. Why is that? :)

Thanks Motley. In response to your question about profanity, there are a couple of factors:
I can understand cursing when the moment creates a level of frustration that exceeds tolerance or the ability to think, but my issue is that it has become all to common in speech. I would hope myself and my kids would develop other coping mechanisms for frustration, or increase tolerence levels as to use cursing as a last resort. One of the most appropriate uses of cursing that I've seen in film is in Interstellar when Mann reveals the truth of the situation and Cooper drops the f-bomb. I'd probably do the same at that moment considering the implications of what Mann had done. Earlier, when Cooper first learns of Dr. Brandt's reveal he drops a silent f-bomb that he fights back through unimaginable grief and anger. I like these because they are completely realistic, to me. My first venture into editing began with "cleaning up" incubus songs so I could listen to them in the car with my family. I suppose it's a call back to my roots, and honestly I really like the challenge that it brings. You have to rethink editing when you have a word that you need to either omit or reform into something else. In terms of music, you really get into the analysis of the way the song is crafted when you're looking for replacement segments. The same occurs when you're hunting for dialogue. Last, when I do find myself entering into that frustration zone where I end up cursing, I always feel pretty raw and less inside. So, it's partially because I would hope that we as a human race could find alternatives in dealing with our frustration and I like the challenge of doing it.

DigModiFicaTion said:
Sistros alerted me to what appears to be a lag in the falcon movement when it takes off from Savareen. After checking the uploaded files and then comparing them with the source file it does look like there's a slight stumble to the movement of the falcon. The particular scene is a multi-layered/masked scene and I'm wondering if that, coupled with the 10+ secondary color corrections added to each of the particular video clips/layers, created some issues for Vegas in the final render. I'll be looking at this particular couple of seconds to see what I need to do to fix the movement. It looks like there's a 95% speed adjustment on it, though I've not seen this stumble when I've used that speed in other places/edits. I appreciate Sistros alerting me. I'll let everyone know when I can get a v2 up and available.

Noticed this, but honestly, it's the only slightly jarring part I noticed. This is a very good edit, and flows very smoothly otherwise. Very enjoyable :)

sickboypoptrash said:
Id love to get a link to this !!!

Thanks for the interest in the edit. Please remember that all requests must be made via PM to editors. Posting request in any forum outside of the Trades & Requests forum is not allowed. Guidelines for requesting edits can be found here. Feel free to PM editors with requests in the future.

Finally gave this a spin! No Maul, no cringey L3 antics, and a much more eye-friendly color grade make this a big improvement over the theatrical. However, I do have some feedback:

- There's 2-3 lines explaining Nest's homing beacon, but only one is necessary. The shot of the blinking device tells us the rest.

- I really missed the squid parts on the cockpit hyperspace gag. This is a pretty intense movie when one takes into account its hyperspeed pace, and while I'm glad most of the winking humor was trimmed, I thought losing this gag, and the relief it provides, was a tad too much.

- Same for cutting Han's macho moment. Not only does it rob both Han and Lando of a great character and humor beat, it's downright weird that neither Beckett nor Han react in any way to the Falcon taking off right as they need help the most. I understand (but respectfully disagree) with the desire to cut the humor moment, but even so, the change doesn't work, IMO.

But, these are minor gripes in an otherwise great ride that's definitely an improvement over the theatrical. :)

Appreciate the feedback Gaith! The main reason for the removal of the squid parts, for me, was to retain the serious nature. One thing I really dislike is humor in a serious moment. While I'm not a fan of the Han bravado moment, it does have a certain charm to akin to Han's "It's not my fault" moments in Empire. I axed it because again I felt it was just another one of those serious moments interrupted by humor. It's a little unbelievable that Lando would leave right perfectly on cue. It was just too on the nose with the timing. So now Lando is just fed up and decides to act in the moment, which I feel goes with his character in this movie.

With Enfest Nest, are you referring to her conversation with Weazel just before the blinking light? I'll agree it is both show and tell there. Which lines would you remove?

DigModiFicaTion said:
So now Lando is just fed up and decides to act in the moment, which I feel goes with his character in this movie.

I get that, but since Han, Beckett and Chewie don't react to the Falcon leaving at all, which doesn't quite work for me, the tension at the beginning of the final scene between Han and Lando is also undercut. I had to remind myself why Lando was afraid to see Han.

DigModiFicaTion said:
With Enfest Nest, are you referring to her conversation with Weazel just before the blinking light? I'll agree it is both show and tell there. Which lines would you remove?

Yep, at 1:04:39, the red lines can definitely be cut, and the orange one isn't needed, either. (This is a tiny detail, but hey, that's what we're all about, no?)

Mook: Your plan is underway, Enfys. We've attached the homing beacon. They won't elude us now.
Enfys: Good. If they survive, they'll bring the prize to us.

Also, just remembered another thing: the final shot of your edit seems to lack a certain oomph. I definitely agree with cutting Howard's final shot of the dice (who cares), but a more pronounced hyperspace jump sound effect would help end the flick on a high note.

Of course, all of this is IMHO. :)

Had some project file difficulties, but I was able to address the weird stutter during the falcon takeoff. Here's the updated version of that shot. I'll be uploading a v2 this week.
To celebrate, I threw together some more alternate posters too (see spoiler area).
coaxium-hesit-alternate-3.png

coaxium-hesit-alternate-2.png

coaxium-hesit-alternate.png

Finished rendering the v2 file. I also added a repurposed shot of the coaxium container exploding when Chewie uncouples the train cars. It never made sense why the one blew a mountain apart, but the others didn't do anything. I also used a mask over lay with some light ray and blur filters to simulate the explosion glow on Han in the cockpit as he pulls up. Last, I slowed down the star field movement when the custom space transition plays right before Mimban. I'll post when the new file is available.

Back
Top Bottom