• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars: The Coaxium Heist

addiesin said:
The way he says "Han Solo" in TFA sounds like he knows him.

Or maybe he just did his due diligence and researched the background of his recruit Ben Solo. I never got the impression that Snoke and Han Solo had crossed paths before.

With Maul, he's just a character with cool face paint, and obviously a badguy, so he's there to be recognizable and shocking.

But with his face hidden and Sam Witwer's dialogue left in, his presence wouldn't be shocking to anyone who wouldn't recognize his voice and metal legs, and to anyone who had seen "The Clone Wars" and/or "Rebels" and thus did recognize his voice and legs, he would be a much more fleshed out character at this point than Snoke (having had hours of development over the course of two animated series).

Moe_Syzlak said:
Was Snoke ever considered? I know there was a lot of discussion amongst the filmmakers and writers about who it should be. My understanding is they didn’t decide until well into Howard’s filming. If Snoke wasn’t considered, I’d guess that it would’ve been because of story conflicts with other properties, namely the ST.

As far as I know, the only character other than Maul that has been definitively stated to have been considered is Jabba.

@"DigModiFicaTion", I just now remembered some suggestions that I had made in the general ideas thread for "Solo" that you may or may not find useful. Some of them are ideas that have already been referenced by you in this thread, so I'll just post the remaining two that haven't been mentioned thus far below.

• Cut a few bits of dialogue that feel too much like forced humor, unnecessarily expository, or too anachronistic compared to the style of speech in the original trilogy. Some instances that I can think of are Han's line "work with me here" during the meeting with Qi'ra and Beckett, Qi'ra's cut-off line "not to mention his prodigious..." when speaking of Lando, Lando's line "She's interfacing" when L3's brain is connecting to the Falcon's computer, etc.
  • Possibly cut the shots of Qi'ra's Crimson Dawn brand/tattoo due to the contradiction that it creates. Dryden Vos agrees to the Kessel mission because he can't be connected to the mission, then proceeds to send his lieutenant who has a brand on her wrist that would give away his connection to her if she were to be captured or killed.

hbenthow said:
addiesin said:
The way he says "Han Solo" in TFA sounds like he knows him.

Or maybe he just did his due diligence and researched the background of his recruit Ben Solo. I never got the impression that Snoke and Han Solo had crossed paths before.

Han Solo is famous to us, the audience, but not famous in the SW universe (at least I've never gotten that impression, though there are a few specific people who hold grudges against him like Jabba or Kanjiklub). The phrasing Snoke used in TFA was "your father, Han Solo", which shares information Kylo and Snoke both already knew. Yes it was exposition for the audience, but it wasn't necessary since we learn the same info through other details provided in the film, not to mention the father son confrontation scene (if you didn't know by then it would have been impossible to miss). So in my mind, it wasn't just exposition, but exposition with dual purpose, carrying an implication of familiarity and spite. Cheap and simple world building for the new character. If you didn't draw the same conclusions, that's fine, it just means the line was odd in its placement and delivery.

With Maul, he's just a character with cool face paint, and obviously a badguy, so he's there to be recognizable and shocking.

But with his face hidden and Sam Witwer's dialogue left in, his presence wouldn't be shocking to anyone who wouldn't recognize his voice and metal legs, and to anyone who had seen "The Clone Wars" and/or "Rebels" and thus did recognize his voice and legs, he would be a much more fleshed out character at this point than Snoke (having had hours of development over the course of two animated series).
This is why I made the distinction between the Disney version and the edit. I'm not suggesting your idea is bad for an edit. Just answering your question about why Snoke would have been a "better" choice (in the original cut) imo. Even though I wasn't the person you initially asked.

addiesin said:
This is why I made the distinction between the Disney version and the edit. I'm not suggesting your idea is bad for an edit. Just answering your question about why Snoke would have been a "better" choice (in the original cut) imo. Even though I wasn't the person you initially asked.

Exactly this. I only suggested Snoke (as has been suggested before, by other people) because it would help strengthen the new canon Disney has created, but it's just a matter of personal preference, really.

Almost done. Seeing if YouTube will allow this to stay up.

When i first started i was going to replace Lady Proxima's voice with a more sinister alien voice and add subtitles. Because of this I eliminated all original sub titles from the movie for the sake of uniformity. I've since decided I'm less annoyed by Proxima and feel like she's kind of part of the OT charm of the film with her muppet-like voice. As a result Moloch's subtitles and Han's Wookie subtitles are gone. Personally I don't mind at all. We can infere the meaning of Wookie dialogue like we always have had to in the OT. Moloch's dialogue isn't as explicitly implied, but Qi'ra's responses to it to allow us to fill in the blanks. In short would anyone be overly offended if I just didn't include those subs?

I don’t think it would bother me. I actually would love to see an edit that both removes the Wookie subtitles and removes Han actually speaking Wookie. But I don’t know if that’s possible. For me, Chewie could always understand Han and Han could always understand Chewie, but they could never speak each other’s languages.

My preference would be to change lady proxima’s voice as it completely took me out of the moment. However, if subtitles are gone then the only see a problem with would be Moloch.

Well, since the second time I watched the film was from a digital rip I made of my BR and I forgot to include the subtitles and didn't notice at all until Han met Chewie, I think you're cool with leaving the Moloch stuff unsubtitled through context. And I've advocated for removing the Han Shyriiwook subtitles from the start - they're not needed at all.

Here are some color correction examples that I posted on my wordpress:

Here are some split screen examples that show off the current state of the color correction for The Coaxium Heist.

The main idea I had for the color correction was to remove the blue tint that had been applied to the entire film. To do so I used a White Balance and Secondary Color Correction filter in Vegas Pro. The white balance was used to create a baseline white for the entire film and the secondary color corrector was used to mute the blue tones. The result is a similar intensity as the original (which I kind of like), but without the blue tint. As a result, the image is warmer overall which is what I was going for.

*Color Corrected on the left/Original color on the right

Proxima’s Lair: Here I wanted the color palette to look like it was simply in a very darkly lit room, not a blue light room. You can see in the final image from this grouping that when color is reintroduced it is present without all of the blue.

solosplit11.png

solosplit12.png

solosplit1.png

solosplit13.png

Corellia: Here the blue removal is to increase the bleakness of Corellia. The overcast sky is more accurate to what said skies look like and the remainder of the image is a bit warmer. Grays are restored as seen in the split shot with the droid and color is retained as seen in the split of the explosion during the chase. Warmth is also added to the transit station.
solosplit2.png

solosplit3.png

solosplit4.png

solosplit5.png

The Vandor Heist: Similar to Corellia here. Removal of blue tint, restoration of whites and a warmer image.
solosplit6.png

solosplit7.png

solosplit8.png

The Falcon: Restoration of whites and lessening of blue tint.
solosplit14.png

The Kessel Heist/Run: Similar to Corellia and Vandor. Lessening of blue tint, restoration of whites and a warmer image.
solosplit9.png

solosplit10.png

I am the first to admit that I’m not a professional color corrector-er(?). I’d love constructive feedback and any tips and tricks that can improve my ability to create a visual that I’m looking for.

I dunno. The film looks dull anyway. Would taking away from the blue and making it even more grey and dull looking really help the movie? That's just my two cents though.

It does look a bit grey, almost desaturated in some of those shots above. BTW, loving the cut list.

Fiddled around with some brightness/contrast and color levels.
Color Corrected (left) vs Original (right)
cIjhdQKl.jpg

8Gt9r9Zl.jpg

I still prefer the look of the original, but yours looks perfect for what you're trying to achieve.

Yeah I like that. At least one of the earlier ones was too dark, but this looks spot on to me.

That's your best one yet, although I'd have to see some samples from other scenes to know how well it works for the movie overall.

Have you seen @"12parsecs"' regrade samples? His version is not perfect (he oversaturated the characters' faces a bit, for example), but it might give you some useful ideas.

Here are some samples of it:

http://www.framecompare.com/screenshotcomparison/0MJ1NNNU
http://www.framecompare.com/screenshotcomparison/WWWPNNNX
http://www.framecompare.com/screenshotcomparison/WWYLNNNX
http://www.framecompare.com/screenshotcomparison/W6DGNNNX
http://www.framecompare.com/screenshotcomparison/0MJCNNNU
http://www.framecompare.com/screenshotcomparison/0MJMNNNU
http://www.framecompare.com/screenshotcomparison/WWYPNNNX
http://www.framecompare.com/screenshotcomparison/0MEFNNNU

And here's the link to his thread:

https://forums.fanedit.org/showthread.php?tid=17788

I've checked out those. The saturation and contrast in those looks a bit high to me. I'm wanting to enhance towards normal tones if I'm gong to be adding color back in.

One issue I'm running into is that the scene will look pretty good, but the shadows will have a warm soft orange glow. I've messed around with the lows to try and remove it, but haven't quite found the sweet spot yet.

Back
Top Bottom