• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Star Wars: Rise of the Rebellion, A Rogue One Edit

DigModiFicaTion said:
Blu Ray is ready to render. I've never worked with subtitles. Is this a must for everyone?

Speaking more in generalities rather than specific to your edit, subtitles aren't a must unless they're needed along with a foreign language track.  With that said, I find them rather helpful in certain situations when I can't have the volume up too loud, like after the kids have gone to bed.

Well I finally sat down and filled out a submit form. Looks like this one is done :)
Thread moved.

DigModiFicaTion said:
Well I finally sat down and filled out a submit form. Looks like this one is done :)
Thread moved.

Congratulations!

Congrats on the finished edit :) can't wait to sit down and see the final product

Digi,

Just finished the edit. Impressive as usual with a true understanding of both the medium and subject.

Can I ask? Why keep footage between 9:30-13:30? You go through like 4 planets in 4 minutes (which has always seemed too fast) and once Jynn is caught, the explain the same stuff again in the next scene.

I wanted to introduce the characters before they were in full motion. Bodhi's scenes would have been the ones I axed, but I wanted the viewer to see his face first. Also, the removal of the planet cards are meant to allow the mind to blend scenes easier. I wish there was more time at each place, but the source material doesn't allow for it. I also like the sense of urgency the scenes bring to the story. All of these rebels are frantic and on edge. It makes Jyn's jail breakout and the Rebel's situation more desperate, imho.

I know we've discussed this in this thread and I respect your choices, but I have to agree with revel. I'm only halfway through the final cut, but I'll give a proper review once I'm finished.

The transition (audio) from the end of Cassian's introduction to Jyn's prisoner transport doesn't really gel well. Are you hoping for a total removal of the Cassian scene as well?

Is this not available for review yet? I'm going to post my review here for now so I don't lose it.  

Rogue One is a movie I quite enjoyed. For me it is far and away the best Star Wars movie since 1980. That said, it wasn't perfect and certainly one of its biggest faults was the fan service/Easter eggs throughout and a frenetic opening act (I'm defining the opening act as the scenes that lay the groundwork for what is happening in the present day of th film; i.e. after the prologue). 

This edit is seamless and I'm sure someone unfamiliar with the original wouldn't detect any "amateur" edits. Many of the most egregious call backs to the OT are exised. And the movie is better for it. The opening act is much more streamlined. That alone makes this version superior. 

It must be said, however, that there is a controversial edit here. And it's one I can't support. Now my first choice would be to streamline the opening act even further. I would prefer we go from the young Jyn prologue directly to rescued Jyn. I don't want any planet jumping and I don't need to see Bodhi or Cassian that early. And, as I said, the opening act HAS been streamlined. But the Cassian scene is left in. Controversially though, it has been edited to make it appear that Stormtroopers, not Cassian, shoot the informant. If this scene must remain, I think this edit is a grave mistake. The only reason to keep the scene, IMO, is for us to see that Cassian has done terrible things. 

Overall though this is a great improvement on an already excellent film.  Recommended!

I appreciate your honest review Moe. After our move is over. I'll work on that Moe_Syzlak version. You really have been one of the main supports thoughout this venture. Perhaps I'll call it "No Moe Intro".

DigModiFicaTion said:
I appreciate your honest review Moe. After our move is over. I'll work on that Moe_Syzlak version. You really have been one of the main supports thoughout this venture. Perhaps I'll call it "No Moe Intro".

No problem. Let me know when it's up in the database so I can leave a proper review. To be clear, this is a fantastic edit. I don't think I've ever watched an edit where I've agreed with all the choices 100%. Even Adywan's edits have some things I would've done differently. You know, if I had any actual editing abilities.

DigModiFicaTion said:

Obvious by my statement before, but this is the version that I too would want.

And it does sound like negatives, but the positives of your edit are a million times fold over the few nitpicks Digi.

DigModiFicaTion said:

Do you still plan on making a version identical to your current one, except with an ending that implies that Jyn and Cassian escape from Scarif?

hbenthow said:
Do you still plan on making a version identical to your current one, except with an ending that implies that Jyn and Cassian escape from Scarif?

Not at this moment. I'm waiting for some more 3d resources for U-Wings before I attempt it, otherwise I would have to repeat quite a few shots or remove them from earlier in the film which would require extensive editing and time.

@"Moe_Syzlak" , I think your idea works pretty well. Perhaps I can make a branching Blu Ray with this in it.
[align=center]

DigModiFicaTion said:
@"Moe_Syzlak" , I think your idea works pretty well. Perhaps I can make a branching Blu Ray with this in it.
[align=center]

Love it!

I have to admit. This idea feels more like a traditional Star Wars film. Focus on 1 to 2 main characters and then slowly introduce new ones before going full blast. This will probably remove the slow feeling of the middle of the movie as everything continually builds now.

Dude, I am so glad you went this route.

I am loving this version SO much more. Excited to see it with the full content of the movie.

Wow, impressive work done here :) the pacing feels a lot more brisk and continuously moving along in character as well as plotting

Back
Top Bottom