• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

STAR WARS: Rise of Skywalker - Anti-Cringe-Cut

Moe_Syzlak said:
I think the editing is good, but I can’t help but wonder about the smoke. And this is the first edit you’ve shown that I, personally, wouldn’t make. I like the Matrix moment, as you put it, and the tension between the two leads is important IMO.

Wondering out loud, but would it be possible to not have Chewy get captured at all and there for not “die”? What if Finn just says they have the dagger. No idea if that’s possible with the existing dialogue.

The problem with letting Chewie die is, that not only would he not be mourned at all but the whole Chewie capture moves the plot along. The First Order gets a hold of the Falcon and the heroes use Ochhi's ship to escape. If I kill Chewie, I'd also have to cut out the Chewie rescue mission and somehow explain how they get the Falcon back etc. It's too much of a domino effect on the plot. Also he's probably in every shot of the heroes flying around in the Falcon etc. so cutting him out would be a lot of work for the rest of the edit, with no reward. I'm not the biggest fan of fake deaths either but delaying the reveal for longer than a couple of seconds is IMO better than nothing.

I didn't like the Matrix moment at all, because like I already mentioned Kylo tells Rey not moments ago that he will get her to join him on the dark side and a couple of scenes later he tries to run her over with his ship? The whole thing from Rey's jump to Kylo's ship exploding and him getting out without a scratch was just too much for me.

DonKamillo said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
I think the editing is good, but I can’t help but wonder about the smoke. And this is the first edit you’ve shown that I, personally, wouldn’t make. I like the Matrix moment, as you put it, and the tension between the two leads is important IMO.

Wondering out loud, but would it be possible to not have Chewy get captured at all and there for not “die”? What if Finn just says they have the dagger. No idea if that’s possible with the existing dialogue.

The problem with letting Chewie die is, that not only would he not be mourned at all but the whole Chewie capture moves the plot along. The First Order gets a hold of the Falcon and the heroes use Ochhi's ship to escape. If I kill Chewie, I'd also have to cut out the Chewie rescue mission and somehow explain how they get the Falcon back etc. It's too much of a domino effect on the plot. Also he's probably in every shot of the heroes flying around in the Falcon etc. so cutting him out would be a lot of work for the rest of the edit, with no reward. I'm not the biggest fan of fake deaths either but delaying the reveal for longer than a couple of seconds is IMO better than nothing.

I didn't like the Matrix moment at all, because like I already mentioned Kylo tells Rey not moments ago that he will get her to join him on the dark side and a couple of scenes later he tries to run her over with his ship? The whole thing from Rey's jump to Kylo's ship exploding and him getting out without a scratch was just too much for me.

I think you misread my post or I was not clear. I’m not suggesting Chewy dies; I’m suggesting he never gets captured and only the Sith dagger gets taken. That gives the same motivation for future story beats without the needless fake out death.

Moe_Syzlak said:
I think you misread my post or I was not clear. I’m not suggesting Chewy dies; I’m suggesting he never gets captured and only the Sith dagger gets taken. That gives the same motivation for future story beats without the needless fake out death.

I guess I'm still not getting it :) The dagger gets taken together with Chewie. Are you suggesting to cut the whole scene where Rey destroys the transport with force lightning?

No I’m suggesting not showing Chewie getting taken and dub Finn to say, “ they’ve got Chewie the dagger!” That gives motivation to the Force struggle over the transport. Of course reactions would need to be toned down too.

Moe_Syzlak said:
No I’m suggesting not showing Chewie getting taken and dub Finn to say, “ they’ve got Chewie the dagger!” That gives motivation to the Force struggle over the transport. Of course reactions would need to be toned down too.

Again, the only scene where we see the First Order with the dagger is the scene where they capture Chewie (because he puts it in his bag in the cave). Dubbing Finn over would be possible but not to show the bad guys getting the dagger without capturing Chewie.

DonKamillo said:
Moe_Syzlak said:

Again, the only scene where we see the First Order with the dagger is the scene where they capture Chewie (because he puts it in his bag in the cave). Dubbing Finn over would be possible but not to show the bad guys getting the dagger without capturing Chewie.

I mean it would require a bit of a leap from the audience, but I’d argue less of one than to ignore Ren’s smoking TIE. It all depends on what you want out of the drama. If you want something different that’s fine. It’s your edit. Just throwing out ideas since everyone seems to really hate the Chewie fake out.

DonKamillo said:
That was a tricky one... :)

Clip notes:
  • Rey's Matrix jump is gone and so is Kylo's inexplicable desire to run her over (not long after promising her, that she will join him the next time he offers her his hand)
    Kylo's ship is not destroyed by her and is parked in the background as he approaches Rey. All that 3D camera tracking, lighting, masking... just to repair a broken Tie Silencer  :sleepy:
    (I'm not a 100 percent satisfied with the result but the shots are so short that I hope the little imperfections are not that distracting)
  • Cut Kylo engaging in a force duel with Rey. Instead he's just watching her and observing her powers
  • Kylo's presence alone is enough to drive Rey's anger, which results in the force lightning
  • PS: The early reveal that Chewie's alive will also be cut

The only thing missing for me was the force fight between Kylo and Rey. Otherwise, I like how this was cut.

BTW, when do you plan to release the alternative version of TLJ with the new ending?

Belgarath said:
DonKamillo said:
That was a tricky one... :)

Clip notes:
  • Rey's Matrix jump is gone and so is Kylo's inexplicable desire to run her over (not long after promising her, that she will join him the next time he offers her his hand)
    Kylo's ship is not destroyed by her and is parked in the background as he approaches Rey. All that 3D camera tracking, lighting, masking... just to repair a broken Tie Silencer  :sleepy:
    (I'm not a 100 percent satisfied with the result but the shots are so short that I hope the little imperfections are not that distracting)
  • Cut Kylo engaging in a force duel with Rey. Instead he's just watching her and observing her powers
  • Kylo's presence alone is enough to drive Rey's anger, which results in the force lightning
  • PS: The early reveal that Chewie's alive will also be cut

The only thing missing for me was the force fight between Kylo and Rey. Otherwise, I like how this was cut.

BTW, when do you plan to release the alternative version of TLJ with the new ending?
He's releasing the next version of LJ simultaneously with this one,.

Moe_Syzlak said:
I mean it would require a bit of a leap from the audience, but I’d argue less of one than to ignore Ren’s smoking TIE.

I'd argue a that some smoke coming out of a TIE after Kylo racing it through the desert, requires less of a leap from the audience than Kylo coming out of that unscathed ;)

Moe_Syzlak said:
Just throwing out ideas since everyone seems to really hate the Chewie fake out.

I hated the fake out too and I appreciate the feedback (that's the reason why I keep posting those clips after all) but I just can't see it working for a number of reasons, some I already mentioned above. If there's a more concrete idea on how to pull it off (I'd like the idea of Chewie not getting captured better than him dying), I'd be happy to hear (and consider it) but it's just not that easy as dubbing over a line of dialogue and expecting the audience to go along with the rest of it, without any further (visual) explanation.

But again, please keep the feedback and constructive criticism coming.

The force duel between Kylo and Rey is back in:

That was a welcome surprise!
I think it underlines how Kylo wants to push Rey to “uncharted territory” to release the power she doesn’t necessarily think she has inside her, and the lightining is a consequence of that. I believe the Matrix jump was part of that reasoning too, but as you said that is removable since Kylo does get out unscathed for some reason…

EDIT: Do you have any intention on changing the title since Rey will not be taking the Skywalker name to something else? Perhaps… Duel of the Fates?  :)

Canon Editor said:
Do you have any intention on changing the title since Rey will not be taking the Skywalker name to something else? Perhaps… Duel of the Fates?  :)

Not really, but that's a good one ;)

How about: Star Wars: Anti-Climatic ;)

Now I want @"bionicbob" to make a Saga of the Skywalkers edit.

DigModiFicaTion said:
How about: Star Wars: Anti-Climatic ;)

222f126d1205428a81621b233822ebf4.png

:)

Tender Crisp Skywalker Ranch

Back
Top Bottom