• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

STAR WARS: Rise of Skywalker - Anti-Cringe-Cut

DonKamillo said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
There is no way I can see to have Palpatine totally removed from the movie.

Unfortunately me neither. That's why I'll keep him in the movie. However in my version ...

...he will not be "every voice inside Kylo's head" and Snoke was not created by him. The pickled Snokes will be removed as well ;)

I just got word, that it's okay to post stuff, so instead of posting a short clip, I'll finish some editing and post the whole new ending of TLJ. Stay tuned :)

I look forward to seeing it.

For me, once Palpatine is in the movie it makes sense to me that he’s been behind everything. I just find the Palpatine resurrection to be in the same vein as the Maul resurrection. It’s just implausible to me. The Rey storyline is fine for me it’s just that Palpatine being back feels so forced.

If I’m writing the movie, there’s no other big baddie. It’s Ben. He’s beyond redemption and Rey “the nobody” has to face this Skywalker/Vader bloodline. It reinforces the themes I felt worked so well in TLJ. The Force doesn’t belong to a dogmatic group and the blood in your veins isn’t as important as the choices you make. But obviously that’s not the direction they went.

But with the movie we have to work with, I’m curious as to your reasoning for keeping Snoke his own character.

A first version of the alternate ending of the TLJ ACC and the connecting element between Episode VIII and IX:

When I originally read what you were planning to do I was wondering how tf it was gonna work. I think this is a cool approach - love the re-purposing/re-contextualizing of Luke. Looking forward to the edit.

DonKamillo said:
A first version of the alternate ending of the TLJ ACC and the connecting element between Episode VIII and IX:

This works really, really well! I personally had no problem with the reveal of Snoke's true nature, but I can see why you removed it. I've also been thinking about other parts of your edit (e.g. will the training sequence of Rey at the beginning be moved to later to make it look like Luke is training her?)

If you re edit Episode 8 & 9 you can remove Palpatine but its gonna require actual planning & stuff that makes sense.

^ Yes. If you are going to do edit you are going to have to do edit good.

Very insightful, that comment was.

macmilln said:

Also a better alternate ending for 8 regarding Palpatine would be using Palpatines message from Fortnite.  That is if you wanna keep Palpatine & not edit both movies

@"x4103x" have you checked out the prievous posts?

@"DonKamillo" watching your clip again, I think that the only thing that might be off is the use of the Rebel Blockade music during the reveal of the fleet. Are you planning to keep that cue or do you think of substituting it with something more grandiose and menacing? I know the sound is temporary and rough, but I considered it was worth asking.

QUICK AND SENSELESS EDIT: 
The only thing I remember brought me out of your cut when I watched it, was the fact that "ANTI-CRINGE CUT" was featured in the crawl... I know this is very stupid to ask, but you're not planning to edit that, right?   :rolleyes:

Moe_Syzlak said:
DonKamillo said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
There is no way I can see to have Palpatine totally removed from the movie.

Unfortunately me neither. That's why I'll keep him in the movie. However in my version ...

...he will not be "every voice inside Kylo's head" and Snoke was not created by him. The pickled Snokes will be removed as well ;)

I just got word, that it's okay to post stuff, so instead of posting a short clip, I'll finish some editing and post the whole new ending of TLJ. Stay tuned :)

I look forward to seeing it.

For me, once Palpatine is in the movie it makes sense to me that he’s been behind everything. I just find the Palpatine resurrection to be in the same vein as the Maul resurrection. It’s just implausible to me. The Rey storyline is fine for me it’s just that Palpatine being back feels so forced.

If I’m writing the movie, there’s no other big baddie. It’s Ben. He’s beyond redemption and Rey “the nobody” has to face this Skywalker/Vader bloodline. It reinforces the themes I felt worked so well in TLJ. The Force doesn’t belong to a dogmatic group and the blood in your veins isn’t as important as the choices you make. But obviously that’s not the direction they went.

But with the movie we have to work with, I’m curious as to your reasoning for keeping Snoke his own character.

I personally switch it around.  Make Rey a Palpatine descendant.  Either by Clone or Palpatine found a woman as fucked up as he is (hey they exist in the real world).  Rey is raised to take up the Palpatine legacy & continue where Palpatine left off.  Next would be Ben who is struggling with his Dark Side & the pressure of living up to the Legacy of his famous Uncle Luke (who could be in exile but the Galaxy remembers that he defeated Vader & the Emperor.  Rey from the start being a descendant of evil & knowing about it since day 1 & perhaps she struggles with it a bit & questions her destiny (after meeting Ben) as well makes much more sense & explains right away why shes as gifted as she was

DonKamillo said:

That was very well realised. I did think the bits cutting around "I made Snoke" and "I have been every voice you have ever heard" were a bit choppy, but nothing too distracting.

Zarius said:
DonKamillo said:

That was very well realised. I did think the bits cutting around "I made Snoke" and "I have been every voice you have ever heard" were a bit choppy, but nothing too distracting.

Perhaps that editor can try using the Left & Right channels from the 5.1 AC3 / AAC ?  (music only but with sound effects) & see if thatd clear those lines ?

Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it. Yes, there is still some fine tuning to be done (audiowise) with some transitions and music but from a visual standpoint I'm happy with the composition. :)

A couple of side notes for explanation:
  • With about a minute cut and four minutes added the runtime of the TLJ ACC changes from 108 to 111 minutes 
  • As you saw in the clip Kylo finds his way to Exagol through the visions Vader's mask gives him
  • The whole implication is, that the Emperor was communicating with him through the mask the whole time and all the way back in TFA , where we also see Kylo talking to it. I reused sound bites from that scene during the vision to reinforce that. So with that little scene I'm able to change the whole point of Vader's mask from just being and old relic (and fan service) to actually serving the plot in a way. If you would re-watch that TFA scene after having seen this, it becomes more than just a troubled Kylo more or less talking to himself.
  • Snoke was not made by the Emperor because even though we learned nothing about him, it's such a blatant attempt at retroactively explaining stuff, that it was just too much for me. Also it opens a whole can of new questions that will never be answered.
  • There won't be any Star Destroyers being pulled out of the ground because that doesn't make sense on so many levels
  • There is no mention on Rey being not "who you think she is". I'm planning to keep her parents "no ones". Rey will not be a Palpatine. However her parents won't be "filthy junk traders who sold her for drinking money" either, so that plot point will change into basically: The Emperor was interested in young Rey because he felt her power and that's why her parents had to die. That way, Rey taking the Skywalker name will have more meaning having been a "nobody" before.
  • The original scene I used for the ending of my TLJ edit (Luke watching the sunset) will not be scrapped but re-purposed and used in my TRoS edit
  • I will not move the Rey training scene to TLJ because it would stand out too much. The vegetation of the planet she's on, doesn't match Ahch-To's and Rey's look in general is also very different.
  • Rey's floating "Be with me" scene will be cut and the scene will play out like one of her routine training sessions she does every day (a morning jog so to speak). Of course there will be no interaction with Leia. 
  • My TRoS cut will start with Poe and Finn getting that mysterious message and fleeing from the Tie Fighters. There will be no lightspeed skipping.
  • The original intro scene with Kylo slashing away on a random planet and retrieving the way finder is also unnecessary now and will be cut. 

An alternate version of a TLJ cut of course also deserves an alternate cover... ;)

Ccy6IoM.jpg

x4103x said:
Zarius said:

Perhaps that editor can try using the Left & Right channels from the 5.1 AC3 / AAC ?  (music only but with sound effects) & see if thatd clear those lines ?

I'm planning to use some music in that scene, so the "choppy" sound transitions will disappear ;)

Beautiful cover! Looking forward to both your TLJ updgrade and your TRoS edit. I like, truly, that Rey stays a nobody.

macmilln said:

Ok Yoomer

DonKamillo said:
x4103x said:
Zarius said:
DonKamillo said:

I'm planning to use some music in that scene, so the "choppy" sound transitions will disappear ;)

I still the lines “my boy...” and “I have been...” need to be moved closer together. I a think you could start the “my boy” a beat later, but the “I have been...” probably needs to move more. Otherwise I like it and I’m very glad you’ll keep her parents anonymous.

Moe_Syzlak said:
DonKamillo said:

I still think the lines “my boy...” and “I have been...” need to be moved closer together. I a think you could start the “my boy” a beat later, but the “I have been...” probably needs to move more.

Already done ;)

Will be posting an updated clip soon...

DonKamillo said:
A first version of the alternate ending of the TLJ ACC and the connecting element between Episode VIII and IX

This isn't a a comment about the video itself, but it appears it's marked as "made for kids" so I can't add it to my Watch Later playlist.

Back
Top Bottom