• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

STAR WARS: Rise of Skywalker - Anti-Cringe-Cut

Canon Editor said:
DonKamillo said:
Motleys Fanedits said:
So far, I like what you've got going right now. What are you planning on doing with Kylo's redemption?

If I can pull it off, he'll die on the Death Star ruins.

That would be so powerful... BUT would that mean losing the flashback/vision/cameo?

No, that scene will stay but will be repurposed ;)

I’m interested to see what you come up with...

New Clip:

Couple of notes regarding the cave scene (watch the clip first):
  • Finn's "Rey I never told you..." moment was cut (and won't be referenced to in the future). She doesn't ask him what he wanted to tell her in the cave.
  • Finn mentioning the shifty stuff Poe's been doing (just because he hot-wired a speeder earlier) was cut. It's an obvious set-up for the later reveal that Poe's a spice runner (he's not in my edit)
  • Occhi is not mentioned in the cave. Instead the dagger was left by a "Sith loyalist"
  • All mentions of the Wayfinder were cut. Instead the dagger inscription reveals "a location" and it's the clue Luke was looking for. Unfortunately I can't cut the dagger out, as it's too crucial for the plot.
  • Rey cannot force heal. Instead she uses Luke's training to make the serpant leave, using the force. There's also no explanation of her force heal to BB-8
  • The light coming from outside the cave (as the serpant leaves) is warmer instead of a simple movie set spot light (see comparison pics)
  • That drone shot of the Knights of Ren standing on a rock is gone. Instead we get a transition wipe from Chewie to the crew approaching Occhi's ship. They are wasted in this movie, so they won't get a lot of screen time and will be reduced to being simple goons.
Before:
ItAtrNt.jpg

After:
1tLWAeV.jpg

It's actually a very good clip. Bravo once again. The only nitpick I have is the wipe happens very early and doesn't allow us to understand what Chewbacca is doing very well.

DonKamillo said:
Rey cannot force heal. Instead she uses Luke's training to make the serpant leave, using the force. There's also no explanation of her force heal to BB-8

I wonder how this'll take off on the Death Star Ruins.

Great work! The transition from Chewie felt a bit early though. Was that the end of the shot? Maybe you could reverse it a little bit before the wipe?

Apart from the transition on chewie feeling a bit early, I thought this was great

Great work - i love that you removed the force heal. I would also remove Rey saying "you would have done the same thing" before the transition. Finish the scene on BB8's beeps.

Now the humour in this clip between Poe & C3PO  is pure Star Wars sarcasm - i love it. Not the slapstick rubbish we got in TLJ

I didn't notice anything amiss with that, and it just goes to show how lasting in the memory Rise of Skywalker is on it's own when you don't recall what was cut, thanks for creating a new memory.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll fix that transition from Chewie.

Last Impressions said:
Now the humour in this clip between Poe & C3PO  is pure Star Wars sarcasm - i love it. Not the slapstick rubbish we got in TLJ

C3PO's antics are the main reason I kept the cave scene at all. It was a pain to cut out all those Wayfinder mentions :)

That was a tricky one... :)

Clip notes:
  • Rey's Matrix jump is gone and so is Kylo's inexplicable desire to run her over (not long after promising her, that she will join him the next time he offers her his hand)
    Kylo's ship is not destroyed by her and is parked in the background as he approaches Rey. All that 3D camera tracking, lighting, masking... just to repair a broken Tie Silencer  :sleepy:
    (I'm not a 100 percent satisfied with the result but the shots are so short that I hope the little imperfections are not that distracting)
  • Cut Kylo engaging in a force duel with Rey. Instead he's just watching her and observing her powers
  • Kylo's presence alone is enough to drive Rey's anger, which results in the force lightning
  • PS: The early reveal that Chewie's alive will also be cut

DonKamillo said:
Last Impressions said:
Now the humour in this clip between Poe & C3PO  is pure Star Wars sarcasm - i love it. Not the slapstick rubbish we got in TLJ

C3PO's antics are the main reason I kept the cave scene at all. It was a pain to cut out all those Wayfinder mentions :)

Hope you’re keeping the lightsaber/flashlight joke, probably my favorite part of the movie :D

DonKamillo said:

Clip notes:
  • Rey's Matrix jump is gone and so is Kylo's inexplicable desire to run her over (not long after promising her, that she will join him the next time he offers her his hand)
    Kylo's ship is not destroyed by her and is parked in the background as he approaches Rey. All that 3D camera tracking, lighting, masking... just to repair a broken Tie Silencer  :sleepy:
    (I'm not a 100 percent satisfied with the result but the shots are so short that I hope the little imperfections are not that distracting)
  • Cut Kylo engaging in a force duel with Rey. Instead he's just watching her and observing her powers
  • Kylo's presence alone is enough to drive Rey's anger, which results in the force lightning

Well edited. Good job. I only miss the Force duel, I thought that was a very tense and exciting scene. Without it it feels lacking somehow.

By the way, does this mean Chewie stays dead in this edit?

DonKamillo said:

Clip notes:
Wow, that was very well stitched together. You could easily interpret the damage on Kylo's fighter when he leaves it being just exhaust from how aggressively he was speeding :p

Masirimso17 said:
DonKamillo said:
Hope you’re keeping the lightsaber/flashlight joke, probably my favorite part of the movie :D

Yep, kept that one :)

Masirimso17 said:
By the way, does this mean Chewie stays dead in this edit?

No, the reveal that he's alive will happen later on Kijimi instead of immediately after his "death".

I liked that clip very much. Well done. I didn't even notice the masking as I watched full screen, which means bonus points.
I did miss the jump at first, but your reasoning makes sense. As the force duel, I'm curious as to why you decided to cut it.
You could maybe add the sound of the TIE Silencer slowing down and landing? I don't think that's heard.

Again, this clip gets me more excited for where this edit is going!

So far, I like where you're taking this cut of yours, Donny. Seeing as you're working with entirely new VFX (according to the OP), I am looking forward to checking out the first version you release. I sincerely hope you can pull off Kylo's death on the Death Star ruins.

It'd be pretty crazy if you could have the moment Rey 'heals' Kylo and he joins with the force when she does so, just fade him straight out.

You know, some Star Wars fans, including YouTuber James' YouNiverse, would have preferred it if Kylo died to the Dark Side. Quite the intriguing concept, although I have no idea if you'll be able to pull it off that way.

I think the editing is good, but I can’t help but wonder about the smoke. And this is the first edit you’ve shown that I, personally, wouldn’t make. I like the Matrix moment, as you put it, and the tension between the two leads is important IMO.

Wondering out loud, but would it be possible to not have Chewy get captured at all and there for not “die”? What if Finn just says they have the dagger. No idea if that’s possible with the existing dialogue.

Tbh I hate death fakeouts in movies, they’re rarely done well. Even if you delay the reveal of Chewie being alive I still think it’d be a “cheap move” as Luke puts in TLJ :D

It would be much more interesting and would hook the audience to Rey’s struggle better if you kept him dead, however if that’s not possible I’d cut the fakeout altogether. If that’s not possible either because of the potentially necessary desert confrontation (saying potentially because I can’t remember) then yes delaying the revelation is probably the best option.

Back
Top Bottom