• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

STAR WARS: Rise of Skywalker - Anti-Cringe-Cut

asterixsmeagol said:
DonKamillo said:
A first version of the alternate ending of the TLJ ACC and the connecting element between Episode VIII and IX:

This isn't a a comment about the video itself, but it appears it's marked as "made for kids" so I can't add it to my Watch Later playlist.

Have to watch it now then... ;)

asterixsmeagol said:
This isn't a a comment about the video itself, but it appears it's marked as "made for kids" so I can't add it to my Watch Later playlist.

You could always watch it later by clicking on one of the many quoted posts or the original post it was created in. BTW, not sure if everyone knows that you can remove videos and or non-essential things in quoted material as to not bog down threads.

Here's the updated (and probably final) version:

One flaw I see with this ending is the tonal contrast that happens when the credits roll. The credits music is so light-hearted and fun, whereas what we’re transitioning from (Palpatine) is just straight evil.

I don’t know what the best way to fix it is. Not using that track is probably better, but still jarring in a different way.
Maybe there’s no way around it, as every other film in the franchise does end on a hopeful/high note. It’s possible that bringing this film in-line with the next causes it to fall out-of-line with all the others.

It’s also possible (or very likely) that others don’t share my concern. Obviously, it’s your edit, and I’m looking forward to checking it out regardless.

Without knowing what you have planned for the next movie it’s difficult to say what might work best. But tonally it seems to me that the best spot to go to the credits is after Palpatine’s “everything” line.

Otherwise, I think it’s very good.

I partially agree with @"macmilln", but I actually feel it is more jarring to the mind than to the heart. What I mean is that it should feel off and it did at first, but I actually like the contrast. Furthermore, I don’t think there is any way to address that.

macmilln said:
One flaw I see with this ending is the tonal contrast that happens when the credits roll. The credits music is so light-hearted and fun, whereas what we’re transitioning from (Palpatine) is just straight evil.

I don’t know what the best way to fix it is. Not using that track is probably better, but still jarring in a different way.
Maybe there’s no way around it, as every other film in the franchise does end on a hopeful/high note. It’s possible that bringing this film in-line with the next causes it to fall out-of-line with all the others.

It’s also possible (or very likely) that others don’t share my concern. Obviously, it’s your edit, and I’m looking forward to checking it out regardless.

Maybe use the Imperial March as the credits music?

DonKamillo said:
Here's the updated (and probably final) version:

Looks nice. Will Palpatine change his mind 20 times in your version, as well?! Or does he really want to kill Rey in your edit?

Belgarath said:
Looks nice. Will Palpatine change his mind 20 times in your version, as well?! Or does he really want to kill Rey in your edit?

Well he changed his mind because he noticed Rey had become a "dyad in the force" which he didn't know when he tasked Kylo with killing her (don't ask me why such a badass force user wouldn't have felt that somehow though). Anyway to answer your question: No I'll try to eliminate the "strike me down" rehash from RotJ if possible.

DonKamillo said:
Belgarath said:

Well he changed his mind because he noticed Rey had become a "dyad in the force" which he didn't know when he tasked Kylo with killing her (don't ask me why such a badass force user wouldn't have felt that somehow though). Anyway to answer your question: No I'll try to eliminate the "strike me down" rehash from RotJ if possible.

Yeah, I can see this working. I mean, he still aims to kill Rey in order to eliminate the Jedi.
Although, since Luke is alive in your edit - he should be more of a concern to Palps than Rey :/

Belgarath said:
...since Luke is alive in your edit - he should be more of a concern to Palps than Rey :/

Have you seen the new trilogy? Rey levels up and learns new powers like every ten minutes :p

This is actually pretty great. I noticed some frame skipping during the tilt down (just after the crawl) which felt slightly off, but it might just be the render. On the other hand, I don't know how I feel about cutting to black on the alien-monkey's face. Don't you have a shot of Kylo on which to cut on? 
Notwithstanding these observations, I must say I am more and more hyped for this fanedit. Cannot wait.

That’s pretty good. I think it may need a few more beats before transitioning to the good guys. Feels a little abrupt. Maybe you could intercut some of the recording with the shots of Kylo rampaging to find the wayfinder. If I’m not mistaken you’re not planning on using that footage.

Canon Editor said:
This is actually pretty great. I noticed some frame skipping during the tilt down (just after the crawl) which felt slightly off, but it might just be the render. On the other hand, I don't know how I feel about cutting to black on the alien-monkey's face. Don't you have a shot of Kylo on which to cut on? 
Notwithstanding these observations, I must say I am more and more hyped for this fanedit. Cannot wait.

The tilt down was not touched by me and is probably YouTube's fault. I'm also not 100 percent satisfied with the last shot being the monkey face. If I find a good shot of Kylo's face during editing I'll replace it.

Moe_Syzlak said:
That’s pretty good. I think it may need a few more beats before transitioning to the good guys. Feels a little abrupt.

Noted. I'll go back to it and play around with the timing a little.

So far, I like what you've got going right now. What are you planning on doing with Kylo's redemption?

Regarding the crawl, I thought so.
I agree with @"Moe_Syzlak", it feels just about a little too soon to cut to the good guys.

Motleys Fanedits said:
So far, I like what you've got going right now. What are you planning on doing with Kylo's redemption?

If I can pull it off, he'll die on the Death Star ruins.

DonKamillo said:
Motleys Fanedits said:

If I can pull it off, he'll die on the Death Star ruins.

That would be so powerful... BUT would that mean losing the flashback/vision/cameo?

Back
Top Bottom