• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Trek Vengeance (TM2YC FanFix of Into Darkness)

i-am-so-x30ftr

TM2YC said:
ironman23 said:
Hmm, I'm gonna take a guess and say you got it from Jabba's palace in Return of the Jedi?

your-assumption-is.jpg

i-am-so-dyb5sx.jpg

Both clips (Scotty and Marcus) work considerably well in all aspects, as usual  :) I keep having to remind myself this is indeed a fan edit and not an official release.

bionicbob said:
Are you going to use the deleted scene where Carol explains why she has an accent, raised by her mother, etc. ?

It's in the edit. Reinserting it was very easy and it happily makes the audio (and scene) feel less choppy as in the original movie you can detect that Carol's dialogue is heavily trimmed. I don't know why they cut it as it's only 14 seconds? The tricky part is grading it right.

In other news... I realised I'd trimmed the line "USS Vengeance bridge crew requesting entry to construction hanger" from the Scotty scene. Considering the intended name of this edit, that just wouldn't do. Fortunately I simply did a quick edit...

"USS Vengeance bridge crew to construction hanger"

...and put it back in just before Scotty says "Oh shhh...".

I may also try re-inserting the Captain's Log deleted scene in some form. I didn't like it because it shows the crew all looking at Kirk like "Are you f**king serious??!?", which isn't a good look for him... but I think maybe I could trim that bit. We'll see.

I just watched through ironman23's edit and had an idea. I know that the idea of changing Khan to be one of the SS Botany Bay crew has come up in this thread and ironman23's edit flirts with the idea. So, I was thinking instead of him saying "My name is Khan" you could have him say "My name is Joachim". Joachim as the script (and wikipedia :p) indicates, was was Khan's best and brightest ally. If you could find someone who could impersonate Cumberbatch this could make the idea work. Just a thought.

Or his crew member could simply have been named John Harrison..... :dodgy: foiled

It was quite tricky to do on both the audio and video front but here is the deleted 'Niburu Captain's Log' scene put back into the movie...

(Password: fanedit.org)

I wasn't originally going to include the scene but now I really like it! :)  but that is definitely the last deleted scene I'll be using. That just leaves three I won't be including...

- "Marcus' Office" = Unfinished FX and JJ's stated reason for it's removal (That it reveals Marcus to be nefarious too early) is entirely valid.
- "Klingon Conversation" = The brief extra Uhura dialogue is quite nice but it has hard-encoded subtitles in a totally different style to the main movie making it impossible to include IMO (Not to mention Unfinished FX).
- "Kirk Meets Girl" - I have no idea how this scene is relevant to anything? Perhaps in the context of other as yet unseen deleted material it makes sense?

Very nice!

That scene also reminds me of something I had forgotten to bring up earlier. Does anyone find that the part (both in the original movie and here) where Uhura asks whether Spock is all right after they beam him aboard seems a little "off" somehow? I can't put my finger on why I feel that way about it. Maybe it's Zoe Saldana's acting, or the way it interrupted the pace of the scene. But something about it doesn't come off right somehow. Maybe it's just me.

hbenthow said:
Does anyone find that the part (both in the original movie and here) where Uhura asks whether Spock is all right after they beam him aboard seems a little "off" somehow? I can't put my finger on why I feel that way about it. Maybe it's Zoe Saldana's acting, or the way it interrupted the pace of the scene. But something about it doesn't come off right somehow. Maybe it's just me.

Her emotional maturity definitely digresses in those scenes.

That's really good work. One thing, there's an audio problem around :06, sounds like one track is fading out after a reversed cymbal sound and another track is fading in with a regular cymbal-being-hit sound, and they almost line up but not quite, almost like someone pumped the brakes for a fraction of a second. What's weird is, unless it's part of something else you're doing that's not finished, that might be in the actual film, as it's not even close to the part you added in. The p art you edited in is pretty close to perfect, if there were flaws I couldn't perceive em.

I really like the scene addition. It really solidifies the original series feel. That is Kirk.
I also notice the stutter that addiesin pointed out. If I could have one request for this scene it would be to add some music to the captain's log scene. It seems off when it transitions from music to only sfx.

Seamless. Like it was always there. Outstanding work as always TM2YC!

addiesin said:
there's an audio problem around :06

Thanks for pointing this out! :)  After some checking, it's not down to an edit I've done (There are no edits in that section) but a flaw in my source file's audio. I can only theorise that as the "Compendium" version of STID I'm working from is split into a vast amount of tiny *.M2TS files due to the "Enhanced Commentary" feature, that one audio track has gone out of wack by a hair (The center channel perhaps?) which is causing misalignment for just that one scene?

I'll re-rip my source and it should be an easy operation to replace it in the timeline. You know I was thinking yesterday that the drums as the Enterprise flies over (just before that cymbal crash) had a bit of dissonance but I put it down to my imagination. Thanks again for catching this... you've got good ears.

DigModiFicaTion said:
add some music to the captain's log scene. It seems off when it transitions from music to only sfx.

It does have music but maybe not loud enough?

I didn't use headphones so that may be the reason I don't hear. I'll listen to it again at lunch.

Source replacement went just fine :) but it caused me to listen to audio in that scene much closer (To look for errors). For a horrible moment I thought I detected crackling in the new source but then I realised that it's Spock's fire-suit sizzling. I'd never noticed this subtle detail before. So now I'm going to add the sizzle sound to my new shots (It's really obviously missing now I've spotted it!) but I also need to ideally add the missing smoke Vis-FX.

Does anybody know of a source for this kinda thing? Or the right search term for YouTube? It would have to be a simple video (a few seconds only) featuring a wall of white smoke rising straight up. I think I  can then manipulate that within Vegas.

TM2YC said:
Source replacement went just fine :) but it caused me to listen to audio in that scene much closer (To look for errors). For a horrible moment I thought I detected crackling in the new source but then I realised that it's Spock's fire-suit sizzling. I'd never noticed this subtle detail before. So now I'm going to add the sizzle sound to my new shots (It's really obviously missing now I've spotted it!) but I also need to ideally add the missing smoke Vis-FX.

Does anybody know of a source for this kinda thing? Or the right search term for YouTube? It would have to be a simple video (a few seconds only) featuring a wall of white smoke rising straight up. I think I  can then manipulate that within Vegas.
Perhaps this will give you some useable results. 
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=green+screen+smoke+effects

addiesin said:

The very first result using those search terms was perfect, thanks :cool: .

After a quick addition of some vertical animated movement and slight decrease in opacity, viola...!

I don't think you'd ever tell it wasn't already there (The second close-up is the one that originally didn't have smoke). That was much easier than I was expecting, however finding the exact same sort of sizzle sound is actually proving the harder bit. I'll just go through Freesound.org until I find something right.

Watched the Captains log scene again, this time with headphones. I think a slight rise in volume for the music would be a good thing. :)

Here is the latest version of the Captain's Log scene...

- Audio source replaced
- Extra sound work added: Fire alarm / Steam-hissing / Falling Ash-rustle
- Captain's Log music replaced with something else (A minor version of the main JJ-Trek theme)
- Much more work on fine tuning the colour-grade on the new shots
- More VisFX tweaks: Smoke around Spock / falling ash added to shots it was missing from

Beautiful. Are you secretly a professional movie editor or something?

addiesin said:
Beautiful. Are you secretly a professional movie editor or something?

Thanks but I was kinda hoping a couple of you would tell me the music-mix was awful in that last clip and confirm my doubts :D. I've reworked the music one final time anyway and this time I'm finally sure it's perfect...

The theme now comes in much later after the first piece of music has come to a natural end. It flows together in a natural way now :) . Time to move on to something else.

While the editing is great, the music used, which is similar to the original in the deleted scene, just seems a bit off for the situation. I've been going through the soundtrack to see if there is a different cue that might fit better, but this seems just a bit too melancholy after the excitement that just happened and then to go back to the staccato strings, imho. Again, your editing rocks, I just wonder if a different cue might fit better with the mood of the scene.

edit: it's growing on me :)

Back
Top Bottom