• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Trek Vengeance (TM2YC FanFix of Into Darkness)

Yeah now that it has been pointed out I can't focus on anything in that scene except for Alice Eve doing... whatever it is she's doing in the background!

She's examining the torpedoes, thinking: "what is Daddy up to. What has he hidden in here? Did I leave the stove on? Can I penetrate the shield with my mind?"
It's obvious when you closely examine her facial expressions, which I now also can't unsee.

FROM HELL'S HEART I STAB AT THEE!!

asterixsmeagol said:
Any thoughts on getting rid of Harrison being Khan?

I think it would be very tricky, if not impossible IMO. But the main problem would be that he is so obviously Khan. His whole backstory, motivation etc.

Here is a clip showing another new transission. From Scotty resigning, to Kirk replacing him with Chekov. Originally there was an unconnected scene inbetween about Uhura being furious with Spock because Spock thought saving an entire civilisation was more important than his own life... Spock is a selfish A**hole like that in the original cut :D.

There is something off in the audio mix that feels wrong to me...

(Password: fanedit.org)

...or maybe I'm being to critical?

18qm3p.jpg

I think it flows smoothly enough imo. Didn't notice any audio errors myself, good work.

ironman23 said:
I think it flows smoothly enough imo. Didn't notice any audio errors myself, good work.

Yes, in my opinion the audio between the wide shot of Kirk and Scotty and Scotty stopping and turning around fades out and then fades in

TM2YC said:
DigModiFicaTion said:
could you just not have Kirk die? Just have him suffer from massive radiation poisoning, cut some lines by Scotty, and just have him pass out?

I can't see ow that'd work but I'm open to suggestions.

Not sure if any version of this edit with Kirk's resurrection cut is still in contention, but one possible idea is completely axing the final action beat of Khan crashing the Vengeance into San Francisco, with Spock transporting the explosives being the climax instead. I remember thinking in cinemas that Spock's little ruse felt like the film's natural conclusion. 

But, of course, that would be a pretty big cut, albeit one that still fits in continuity, considering Beyond doesn't mention any of the events of this film!  

Needless to say, look forward to this edit, as a big fan of Reunion! Is that edit of Final Frontier still happening, though?  ;)

A Sled in Flames said:
one possible idea is completely axing the final action beat of Khan crashing the Vengeance into San Francisco, with Spock transporting the explosives being the climax instead

That's a great idea and would allow the smooth removal of Kirk ever dying. Kirk still gets all badly injured in the warp core but Khan's blood cures him from the non-fatal radiation poisoning and Spock never needs the emotional impetus (That the death creates) to go after Khan.

I'm not sure I want to go that radical/drastic with this cut (I'll think about it though) but I'd love to see somebody Fanedit this idea into reality.

A Sled in Flames said:
Is that edit of Final Frontier still happening, though?  ;)

Oh yes but the recent excellent ST:Beyond made me want to work on this long planned project first/now.

Canon Editor said:
in my opinion the audio between the wide shot of Kirk and Scotty and Scotty stopping and turning around fades out and then fades in

That is original and unchanged movie audio, which makes me happy ;).

However, I've reworked that audio transition nearly from scratch, taking apart all the audio layers and mixing them into each other separately. I've changed the mix quite a bit but I think the main problem was that I had the original music and additional soundtrack music misaligned by a few milliseconds... when I was an Ensign, I could detect a three-millisecond misalignment :D.

It's 100% working for me now...

18qm3p.jpg

I am loving this thread!  Latest clip audio sounds pitch perfect.

[font=Raleway, sans-serif] but one possible idea is completely axing the final action beat of Khan crashing the Vengeance into San Francisco, with Spock transporting the explosives being the climax instead. I remember thinking in cinemas that Spock's little ruse felt like the film's natural conclusion. [/font]

I have to agree this sounds like the perfect solution to me.   Go radical TM2YC!!!!   That's what fan edits are for.    We will always have the original version for the unoriginal original ending.... LOL.   :D

bionicbob said:
I am loving this thread!  Latest clip audio sounds pitch perfect.

[font=Raleway, sans-serif] but one possible idea is completely axing the final action beat of Khan crashing the Vengeance into San Francisco, with Spock transporting the explosives being the climax instead. I remember thinking in cinemas that Spock's little ruse felt like the film's natural conclusion. [/font]

I have to agree this sounds like the perfect solution to me.   Go radical TM2YC!!!!   That's what fan edits are for.    We will always have the original version for the unoriginal original ending.... LOL.   :D

So I have a few projects I'm about to take on, and I've never edited a Trek property before, but if someone doesn't make this edit by the time those projects are done, I will. I hated everything after the bomb switch and so this would be a perfect resolution.

A Sled in Flames said:
Not sure if any version of this edit with Kirk's resurrection cut is still in contention, but one possible idea is completely axing the final action beat of Khan crashing the Vengeance into San Francisco, with Spock transporting the explosives being the climax instead. I remember thinking in cinemas that Spock's little ruse felt like the film's natural conclusion. 

The more I think about this idea, the more and more I like it.   It totally feels more like a classic TOS solution, brains over brawn...

Why not do two edits? One with the SanFran ending, the other without?

dangermouse said:
Why not do two edits? One with the SanFran ending, the other without?

Don't you mean three edits?  ;) One with Khan never dying, one with Kirk dying and one with him later coming back to life.

TM2YC said:
asterixsmeagol said:
Any thoughts on getting rid of Harrison being Khan?

I think it would be very tricky, if not impossible IMO. But the main problem would be that he is so obviously Khan. His whole backstory, motivation etc.

What if he's one of Khan's crew, and Khan is still frozen?

You could have an effects shot with a close-up of one frozen pod, with Ricardo Montalban's face photoshopped to look frozen inside.

Edit:
I'll probably try this by combining these images:

sherlock-into-darkness-2.png

MTEyNjE5NjYzNDkwMjU0MzQ4.jpg

First test of concept, womp womp. It's not very good but I've got things to do today. 

j7c6r5.png

^ Impressive test. IIRC the actual shot is an elaborate crane shot so I'd be even more impressed if you could pull that off in motion.

No promises that it's something I'd use though... somebody would though.

The deleted scene of Scotty talking his way into the Vengeance hanger cracks me up. I had a quick go at reintergrating it back into the film. The soundmix is totally unfinished...

Sadly I then realised that the other shuttles entering the bay cause a bit of a narrative problem. Some FX whizz would need to paint them out for the scene to work... and I ain't that  :cry: .

Back
Top Bottom