• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Trek Vengeance (TM2YC FanFix of Into Darkness)

TM2YC said:
The deleted scene of Scotty talking his way into the Vengeance hanger cracks me up. I had a quick go at reintergrating it back into the film.

This actually fixes what to me is a giant lack of logic in this scene, the fact that he justs joins his shuttle with the rest without any of the other shuttles or any other staff in the "box" asking questions never made sense to me, this on the other hand, does.

Everything about this edit looks incredible, good luck to you, can't wait for this to come out! :D

TM2YC said:
^ Impressive test. IIRC the actual shot is an elaborate crane shot so I'd be even more impressed if you could pull that off in motion.

Not sure about motion, I'd have to at least get the still image to look right first. Then I'll see what I can do.

Edit: what might work is to separate the elements as high resolution png files that could then be resized independently in the video editor, for slight zooms or rotations. It wouldn't be true 3d but could theoretically work for a shot that lasts a second or four. If the layers themselves looked good and the level of zoom and background blur was believable.

No promises that it's something I'd use though... somebody would though.

And no worries about not using it, I just thought it'd be fun to try, I am only using google images anyway for the proof of concept in case someone wants to take it further, you or anyone else who wants it. The idea is up for grabs, but the work will have to come from the official source to be the highest quality possible.

TM2YC said:
Sadly I then realised that the other shuttles entering the bay cause a bit of a narrative problem. Some FX whizz would need to paint them out for the scene to work... and I ain't that  :cry: .

...or maybe I am :D . But seriously my FX skills are limited but I think just might be able to come up with something for this sequence. Test FX work is looking very promising but it'll take a few more days experimenting to be sure.

hbenthow said:
TM2YC said:
asterixsmeagol said:
Any thoughts on getting rid of Harrison being Khan?

I think it would be very tricky, if not impossible IMO. But the main problem would be that he is so obviously Khan. His whole backstory, motivation etc.

What if he's one of Khan's crew, and Khan is still frozen?

I really like this idea and addiesin's mockups look great.

Another idea I have is that it might be possible to change the conversation in the scene where Harrison reveals himself to be Khan to be about Harrison's leader rather than himself, and by splicing in Benedict Cumberbatch audio from somewhere else, change his line to "His name is Khan!". I'm not sure if this can be done, but it's an intriguing idea.

Regarding the ending, I'm starting to favor the idea of cutting Kirk's death and the San Francisco fight altogether, although I do like the multiple endings idea that dangermouse proposed.

I really love the imagery of the San Fran hustle scene. It reminds me of the amazing Tartakovsky clone wars rendition of the Labrynth of Evil chase on the hover trolleys. I didn't think such a scene could be pulled off practically, but JJ nailed it. It's reminicent of the train heist at the end of How the West was Won. The aestetics of the San Fran scene are my favorite in the whole movie. Hope it can stay if possible, but you have awesome editing so it will be great no matter what :)

DigModiFicaTion said:
chase on the hover trolleys

It will be reduced but still there and probably only take place on one trolley, instead of starting on one... then moving onto a second identical one.

It still needs a few subtle tweaks here and there, the grading needs sorted, the sound is still untouched but here is Scotty's entry into the Vengeance Spacedock sans-other shuttlecraft...

(Password: fanedit.org)

I've done this 3 ways using the small amount of FX knowledge I can handle ;) ...

1. Removed the shuttles from the first sweeping shot and used a lens-flare to cover the few frames where Scotty's shuttle actually disappears behind another shuttle.
2. Inserted a new reverse matchshot of Scotty looking up, to cover up a super-complicated original shot of all the shuttles moving through the entrance. I've added a moving reflection of the hanger door in the upper shuttle window to match the movement of this new sequence
3. Replaced what Scotty sees through the front window in the third shot. It was impossible for me to paint the shuttles out, so it was just easier to create a whole new shot. Several moving layers, dirt reflections on the window, changes in lighting etc

It's the best I could come up with but I think it just about works :) .

Looks good to me!

By the way, I've had a new thought about the ending. Might cutting all shots of Spock acting angry before and during the San Francisco fight make it possible to change the scene so that he is no longer acting in response to Kirk's death? If this is possible, it might be possible to remove Kirk's death (and maybe even the entirety of the Enterprise's near-crash) without otherwise changing the plot much.

hbenthow said:
Might cutting all shots of Spock acting angry before and during the San Francisco fight make it possible to change the scene so that he is no longer acting in response to Kirk's death?

Surely he's got to be angry? He doesn't beat Khan into consciousness for fun :D .

Here is the extended Scotty scene with the sound and music mix completed (Colour-grade still untouched)...

There are many, many layers involved here, so are all the levels sounding good and is the mixing sounding smooth? There is a prize or guessing where I got the new extended sound of the hanger-door opening from!*

* There isn't really a prize

btw, I know that the "Shuttle Copernicus, we do not have you on our registry" bit needs to sound more cmpressed. I believe it's voiced by 1st-AD Tommy Gormley, where as the rest of the comm chatter is voiced by Quinto.

Hmm, I'm gonna take a guess and say you got it from Jabba's palace in Return of the Jedi?

Also yes the levels are pretty even, very smooth in all areas and the compressed VO sound's good as is.

TM2YC said:
Surely he's got to be angry? He doesn't beat Khan into consciousness for fun :D .

I rewatched the fight scene, and I think it could be edited to remove Spock's more vicious strikes and the shots of him looking angry. The concept behind my idea is that Spock goes to fight him just because he needs to be stopped and Spock is the best equipped to take him down (he's stronger than humans and knows a nifty pressure-point technique to boot), rather than because of what happened to Kirk.

Is it so bad that Spock gets angry? I grew up watching the reruns and recently watched the series on Amazon prime and Spock gets angry quite a bit. There's even an episode where his dad has rage. I don't think it's a problem. Not to mention all the other emotions he displays in the series.

Oh, and TM2YC, the levels sound good to me.

DigModiFicaTion said:
Is it so bad that Spock gets angry? I grew up watching the reruns and recently watched the series on Amazon prime and Spock gets angry quite a bit. There's even an episode where his dad has rage. I don't think it's a problem. Not to mention all the other emotions he displays in the series.

What I meant is that removing his anger in that scene would help sell a possible removal of Kirk's death, by making Spock's fight with Khan a regular takedown rather than an act of vengeance. Granted, Spock could get angry over Khan's other deeds, but without Kirk's death, seeing him become enraged so quickly when he hadn't been that angry in previous scene of the movie ("at the drop of a hat", so to speak) would be a bit jarring. With Kirk's death still in the movie, his anger makes perfect sense.

ironman23 said:
Hmm, I'm gonna take a guess and say you got it from Jabba's palace in Return of the Jedi?

your-assumption-is.jpg

Thanks all for the positive feedback on the audio but I went ahead remixed all the audio layers on that clip anyway. It sounded a little too cacophonous overall somehow, plus I remixed a few specific parts of the audio. I've also finished up grading the scene, so the deleted and original footage now all hopefully matches very closely. This is the finished Scotty/Hanger article...

Also here is another little removal of the godawful Carol striptease scene (That JJ later apologised for :D )...

The Carol segment now ends on a joke, that also mentions Kirk being "Clever". We now cut to him thinking through the situation and working out that something is amiss. I removed a little bit of Chekov dialogue, meaning he now interrupts Kirk much later, so the camera just focuses on Kirk's reaction to the "No response yet" line and what that could imply. Hopefully it makes Kirk seem just a tiny bit smarter, once he takes a moment to cool down and think.

TM2YC said:
This is the finished Scotty/Hanger article...

Also here is another little removal of the godawful Carol striptease scene (That JJ later apologised for :D )...

The Carol segment now ends on a joke, that also mentions Kirk being "Clever". We now cut to him thinking through the situation and working out that something is amiss. I removed a little bit of Chekov dialogue, meaning he now interrupts Kirk much later, so the camera just focuses on Kirk's reaction to the "No response yet" line and what that could imply. Hopefully it makes Kirk seem just a tiny bit smarter, once he takes a moment to cool down and think.

Very impressive!!! 

Are you going to use the deleted scene where Carol explains why she has an accent, raised by her mother, etc. ?

bionicbob said:
Are you going to use the deleted scene where Carol explains why she has an accent, raised by her mother, etc. ?

I wasn't considering it but maybe I'll give it a whirl, it's only a few seconds after all.

Back
Top Bottom