• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Star Trek Vengeance (TM2YC FanFix of Into Darkness)

addiesin said:
Beautiful. Are you secretly a professional movie editor or something?

Coin flip: heads—he is.
Coin is two-headed.

DigModiFicaTion said:
the music used, which is similar to the original in the deleted scene, just seems a bit off for the situation.

It is a different piece. The track 'Sub Prime Directive' plays during the transporter room scene (and then picks up again for the fade into the title sequence). The track I added over the captain's log dialogue is basically the opening main-theme fanfare of the movie. It sounds more majestic, than melancholy to me.

I'm into editing out the skype call with Spock-Prime now ;) . It's tricky to remove as it inter-cuts twice with the action aboard the 'Vengeance'. Working on this part makes me really wish there was footage of Spock and Kirk formulating their plans together... but I think that'd take some re-shoots.

Yeah, I spent a couple of narcoleptic hours working with almost every track from the the first movie and ITD to try and see if I could find a track to recommend. I had one that used the Sub Prime Directive cue, but it required a loop due to the removal of some shots. Sorry if it came across as negative. You're edits just really excites me. You've made the best choice with that music :)

DigModiFicaTion said:
I had one that used the Sub Prime Directive cue, but it required a loop due to the removal of some shots.

I tried that first but it wasn't good having the same piece play twice in short succession.

The Spock-Prime removal is done. It took much rearranging of scenes, trims, rescoring and soundFX to get it all to flow right (I was expecting that to be easy).

I sat down and watched the final act of STID today and have decided what I'm going to do about how it will play out in the edit (I think). Things won't be a million miles away from the original cut. I decided I really like the moments between Kirk and Spock and how they reflect back on the earlier scenes and look forward to ST:Beyond. The way I've recut the first act of the movie now plays very well into the themes of the final act in a way that never quite gelled in the theatrical cut IMO. With the emphasis taken away from Kirk being a sh*tty leader and onto Spock being a sh*tty friend ( :D ) the death and Spock's reaction to it now seems more appropriate. That's how it feels to me anyway.

A few general changes...

- Sulu disobeying Spock's order to abandon ship will probably go. It seems presumptuous of him to speak for the whole crew, is a bit unprofessional/arrogant and Spock's gesture is meaningless anyway since nothing is done with it.
- Less of Kirk stomping the warp core if I can trim it naturally without disrupting the beautiful score
- "Khaaaaaannnnnn!!!!" will be entirely removed. I think the scene will work better without it.
- This is a new idea/realisation I had = Both scenes referencing the Tribble can be deleted. Instead we will just cut to Bones ordering Kirk be put into a cryo-tube to preserve his brain functions.
- Spock/Khan fight trimmed to be only on one transport.
- Carol will not be joining them on the 5-year mission, the last we will see of her is at the Enterprise ceremony. She isn't in ST:Beyond after all.
- I must remember to remove Nimoy's name from the credits.

Nu-Spock doesn't shout "Khaaaaaannn!" anymore...

(Password: fanedit.org)

Oh by the way, I noticed Chris Hemsworth is credited as being in the movie. Does anybody know where? Is there perhaps a Rey-style subtle voice-over somewhere?

TM2YC said:
Oh by the way, I noticed Chris Hemsworth is credited as being in the movie. Does anybody know where? Is there perhaps a Rey-style subtle voice-over somewhere?

Voice-over is correct. Before Kirk wakes up after death in the hospital bed, we here audio clips from his past, you hear alot of the Nero incident, you hear his mother and father, and you hear Pike say "I dare you to do better", then he wakes up.

Again, a very good job with everything in the clip, transitions, grading and all!

Another suggestion for the finale would be to maybe excise all footage after kirk enters the enterprise bridge w/chechov's line "Captain on ze bridge". I feel what occurs afterwards is rehashing the ending of the '09 film and is just too formulaic for me. But of course it would be far from a deal breaker if you didn't since what you're already doing is more than enough ;)

SkywalkerFan01 said:
Voice-over is correct.

Ahhh thanks.

ironman23 said:
excise all footage after kirk enters the enterprise bridge w/chechov's line "Captain on ze bridge".

You mean the end of the movie? No I won't be cutting that.

Eureka! I've finally figured out how to 'Fix' the finale of this movie. The idea is so simple I don't know why I hadn't thought of it before (The execution may not be quite as simple though)...

Put Bones realising he can bring Kirk back to life before Spock goes after Khan

- This gives strong motivation for Spock's chase of Khan, now it's for vengeance and to save his friend
- It gives the chase sequence some tension now their are consequences if Khan gets away
- Bones now has some direct influence on driving the plot (for one time in the movie)
- The removal of the chase's inter-cutting structure allows for large trims to up the pace of the chase and stop it flagging
- Now Kirk never "completely dies", as we almost go straight into Bones putting his body in Cryo to preserve his life functions. I feel this is much less awkward than having Kirk die for 5-10 minutes and then oh yeah, we can bring him back!

I've done a very rough assembly cut of the footage and it all works story wise. I just need to pull off the tricky audio/music editing it'll need.

Happy Spock!

tumblr_o29dawN5wu1v6ue1jo1_400.gif

^Smart! I'd been thinking myself that the way to fix it would be to have the blood cure Kirk but to never have him completely dead - but wasn't sure how to properly execute. That makes a whole lot of sense.

Tbh I never would've thought of such simple trims and re orderings to fix big problems, very clever!

TM2YC said:
Eureka! I've finally figured out how to 'Fix' the finale of this movie. The idea is so simple I don't know why I hadn't thought of it before (The execution may not be quite as simple though)...

Put Bones realising he can bring Kirk back to life before Spock goes after Khan

- This gives strong motivation for Spock's chase of Khan, now it's for vengeance and to save his friend
- It gives the chase sequence some tension now their are consequences if Khan gets away
- Bones now has some direct influence on driving the plot (for one time in the movie)
- The removal of the chase's inter-cutting structure allows for large trims to up the pace of the chase and stop it flagging
- Now Kirk never "completely dies", as we almost go straight into Bones putting his body in Cryo to preserve his life functions. I feel this is much less awkward than having Kirk die for 5-10 minutes and then oh yeah, we can bring him back!

By%20George%20I%20Think%20Hes%20Got%20It_zpsfu1h9eex.jpg

Here is my reworking of the scenes leading up to Spock's pursuit of Khan, to show that Spock is now chasing Khan to get his blood to save Kirk...

(Password: fanedit.org)

It was like a 3-Dimensional chess puzzle weaving together myriad audio tracks to get it all to work :D . The last minute is unchanged but I've included that part to demonstrate the new context from which the chase begins.

It's done well. The problem I still have is that it's weird they need Khan's blood, because whatever was done to him was also done to his frozen friends, and the Enterprise has these frozen people. Couldn't they just thaw someone else and use their magic blood instead? Or have you edited out anything that suggests this possibility? Cause that would be awesome.

addiesin said:
The problem I still have is that it's weird they need Khan's blood, because whatever was done to him was also done to his frozen friends, and the Enterprise has these frozen people. Couldn't they just thaw someone else and use their magic blood instead? Or have you edited out anything that suggests this possibility? Cause that would be awesome.

I don't think fixing the stupidest aspects of this film's script is possible, like Khan's magic "Now immortality is a thing" blood, Khan's magic "Who needs warp-engines anymore!" trans-warp beaming device, or Khan's whole nonsensical "I've hidden people inside magic long-range torpedos" masterplan. I think these things are hard-wired into the story but luckily I've always enjoyed ST:ID enough, that these things never bothered me too much.

I think the studios solved problems like this on ST:Beyond by throwing Roberto Orci's script in the bin :D .

That was BE-A-UTIFULLY done. Fantastic reworking of the shots. Really gives new impetus to the chase.
Great job TM! :)

Regarding the blood problem, it's not too much of a stretch to imagine that Khan is the only one with that particular mutation. Even in WOK there was big difference between Khan and the rest of his crew.

Yeah, it just would have been nice if there was a scene of them testing the other people's blood and showing us that it wouldn't work, maybe while talking about something else. I dunno. A man can dream. 

To me it's ok to have these universe breaking things if they end with Khan. I am happy to assume he killed anyone responsible for the higher tech things he has so nobody else can have them or find him, and that he'd take the secrets to his grave.

But to have to assume the crew checked the other blood off screen is more annoying, it seems like the smartest option so not trying it makes them look dumb. Curse you, Orci! Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to fix this without awkwardly recording and inserting background dialogue or trying really hard to Photoshop in a screen with a big silly "Blood Test Failed: No Match Found" kind of thing. Alas, these are not good solutions, they'd just distract from the actual film.

There's a lot of stupid in the original cut of ST:ID, but everything in this thread suggests you're putting together the absolute best version possible without reshoots, so I may actually end up picking it up so as to watch your edit once it's released.

Keep up the excellent work!

I've made some good progress this weekend, with the first 3/4s of the film now re-graded.

I'm looking forward to this. I hated this movie more than Final Frontier. You have some really smart edits. 

Looks like you are addressing some of my major beefs with the film. 

How long does color grading a film usually take?
That's the next step I'm planning on learning.

Back
Top Bottom