• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Trek Vengeance (TM2YC FanFix of Into Darkness)

To quote Scotty, " I like it!".   

I like the urgency of the cuts.  The removal of the Scotty's question didn't even phase me.  To me, it just feels like Khan is taking charge of the situation and explaining his strategy to his genetically inferior assistants lol.    

It's like when you are taking your very young child out for a walk, you are holding their hand and explaining everything to them... look there is a tree, look both ways when crossing the street, don't pick up that from the ground....  :D

With a couple of days to mull it over, I think I'm happy with not having Scotty talk over that bit. Thanks for all the feedback people. As BB says...

bionicbob said:
it just feels like Khan is taking charge of the situation and explaining his strategy to his genetically inferior assistants lol.

The couple of days also gave me some fresh perspective on the last few tricky edits to the final-act chase. I was finding them impossible last week but it all fell into place this evening really easily. Plus I've just finished the last edit, which was removing Carol Marcus from the final bridge scene (Because she isn't on the 5-year mission in ST:Beyond... and she's a rubbish character anyway :D )...

(Password: fanedit.org)

I still need to grade the last half hour and create a new title sequence but here is the shape of the project timeline, pretty much finished...

29527920642_0864304505_o.jpg

This edit clocks in at almost 2-hours exactly. That's 12 minutes shorter that the theatrical-cut but I'm not sure how much deleted-footage I added without checking first.

I don't know why, but I just love to see project timelines, especially from amazing editors like @"TM2YC" :) it's like viewing the inner workings of the mind.

Interesting placement of video and audio tracks. Do you have a method that you follow?

DigModiFicaTion said:
I just love to see project timelines

I like seeing them too for some reason.

DigModiFicaTion said:
Interesting placement of video and audio tracks. Do you have a method that you follow?

The bottom half are video+audio tracks (video top and the corresponding audio for that video below) and the top 7 tracks are just for audio I've added. There are only a couple of points in the edit when I'm using all 11 audio tracks at the same time. If I tidy things up a bit the bottom two tracks (video+audio) could be deleted.

All right, I haven’t seen the original, but I can give the advice I can, and the Vengeance assault scene, I really like.  It feels very urgent and that is good.  I did not notice any inconcistencies and liked the crisp audio.  Very well done.  I also do agree with @"bionicbob" as I too feel that Khan is talking out loud as to give instructionsand explain his plan to the ones following him.  Sorry for the late advice, as I know you already have made your decision!!

I've finished a first watch through and completed several tweaks and new little ideas based on that. This has turned out far, far better than I ever hoped it would when I first began thinking of STID ideas. STV is still an action-packed thrill-ride but I feel the emotional underpinning to that action now "lands" as it should. I hope you'll all enjoy it too :) .

So this edit is about 99% done. I "just" need to...

- Figure out how to make a new 3D title sequence that looks professional. I've put this task off for as long as I can  :D
- Add the usual opening fanedit titles and disclaimers to the beginning. I plan to remake my TM2YC titlecard in full-HD for this one because...
- I'm probably going to release this as a small 720p mp4 and a large Blu-Ray compatible 1080p file.
- Add a few fanedit credits and thanks to the end.
- Write a cutlist. Damn, I really should have kept notes as I went along but I was too lazy.
- Create a trailer. I've got a pretty solid idea for how to construct this (Maybe).

Made this today in anticipation.....

rB3tDVB.jpghttp:

Yes very nice. Is this two official posters sorta blended together, with new text?

I may go with Kirk's quote "Our first instinct is to seek revenge when those we love are taken from us... but that's not who we are" for the tagline.

Not sure if you are going to do a preview or straight to release, but I'd love to preview the edit when it is ready.

DigModiFicaTion said:
Not sure if you are going to do a preview or straight to release, but I'd love to preview the edit when it is ready.

I almost never do previews, sorry. I prefer posting lots of test clips along the way instead.

TM2YC said:
Yes very nice. Is this two official posters sorta blended together, with new text?

Yep!  :D 

My Photoshop skills are fairly primitive...LOL!

But I am so excited for this fan edit and just wanted to contribute.  ;)

Canon Editor said:
Wow!  Amazingggggggg!  Hahahaa

Thanks I'll try to integrate that idea into the edit.

TM2YC said:
Canon Editor said:
Wow!  Amazingggggggg!  Hahahaa

Thanks I'll try to integrate that idea into the edit.

You are absolutely right!  (anyways, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, sorry if it seemed so!!!)

I'm feel like I'm finally getting somewhere with making the new title  :) . It doesn't look awful like my earlier attempts. Lots more work needed though before it's perfected.

Dammit why did nobody tell me before what the clock button in Vegas did :D . If I'd known it allowed you to animate everything... that would've been a big help (about a year ago).

Perhaps I've missed this clock button too. Please elaborate pictorially.

TM2YC said:
Dammit why did nobody tell me before what the clock button in Vegas did :D . If I'd known it allowed you to animate everything... that would've been a big help (about a year ago).

LOL, yes, you can animate ALL THE THINGS, not just pan/crop.

We should start doing some Vegas webinars or something - where faneditors can ask questions and we can demonstrate techniques.

TM2YC said:
Eureka! I've finally figured out how to 'Fix' the finale of this movie. The idea is so simple I don't know why I hadn't thought of it before (The execution may not be quite as simple though)...

Put Bones realising he can bring Kirk back to life before Spock goes after Khan

- This gives strong motivation for Spock's chase of Khan, now it's for vengeance and to save his friend
- It gives the chase sequence some tension now their are consequences if Khan gets away
- Bones now has some direct influence on driving the plot (for one time in the movie)
- The removal of the chase's inter-cutting structure allows for large trims to up the pace of the chase and stop it flagging
- Now Kirk never "completely dies", as we almost go straight into Bones putting his body in Cryo to preserve his life functions. I feel this is much less awkward than having Kirk die for 5-10 minutes and then oh yeah, we can bring him back!

Just happened to check in to see what you're up to with this one TM2YC, and it looks like you've got a few ideas that I really like for STID - and this one seems like a particularly neat solution to improve Kirk's overly strung out 'revival chances' in the existing movie.  Excellent work! 

(I've been on a bit of a nostalgic STAR TREK:TOS kick this past week or so, and although I've got a LOT of issues with how J.J.'s 'Trek' reboots turned out, they interest me enough to spend the time to work out my own ideal versions of them - in fact, although I was surprised not to see any edits of the first 2009 movie around here, I've actually had my own 'Eureka!' moment today as far as finally cracking how I'd ideally like to re-structure several of it's opening scenes for myself)  :)

Despite preferring to see original 'main titles', I like what you've named your edit, and will be interested to see how your final version of this movie turns out eventually.

when i see STID, i first think sexually transmitted infectious disease:D

(the standard term is STI these days, but still. . . .)

bakkontawpik:
interested in seeing what you can do with this movie, timbuk2YC. i found the original difficult to watch, but i know you have powerful magick up your sleeve.

Back
Top Bottom