• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Trek Vengeance (TM2YC FanFix of Into Darkness)

^ I'm glad I'm not the only one super saucy jimbo! STID. Heehee.
And I am sooo looking forward to this. I always enjoy TM2YC edits - high quality stuff. Keep up the good work TM! :)

DigModiFicaTion said:
Perhaps I've missed this clock button too. Please elaborate pictorially.

checkerboard_animate.png

^ So you can not just animate an FX plugin but animate every element of every FX separately. Clearly curiosity isn't one of my strengths, as I never thought to wonder what it did in all the time I've used Vegas :D .

ThrowgnCpr said:
We should start doing some Vegas webinars or something - where faneditors can ask questions and we can demonstrate techniques.

Vegas never ceases to amaze me. It's very quick to learn initially unlike other programs and you can get by perfectly well without understanding 99% of the program but when you want to step up to a more advanced technique I usually find it's capable of doing it after some research.

ImperialFighter said:
I was surprised not to see any edits of the first 2009 movie around here

There have been a few promising ones in-the-works IIRC.

ssj said:
when i see STID, i first think sexually transmitted infectious disease:D

I'd noticed that too. You should always consider the abbreviations...

ssj said:
i found the original difficult to watch

While I'm confident that people will find this cut superior, it's probably not for people who actively disliked the original movie. I had no difficulty in watching the original as it's a thrilling action movie on a base level, despite any plot/script/emotion/character flaws. If you weren't at least "entertained" by the original cut, this probably won't fix it for you. I'll be adding a similar caveat to the ifdb listing when I come to do that. Still, I hope you do get some enjoyment out of this :) .

I heard Star Trek Discovery's official abbreviation is STDIS, since STD would be way more awkward

TM2YC said:
There have been a few promising ones in-the-works IIRC.

Thanks - I searched back in this section, and actually found what seems to be 4 abandoned ones -

Star Trek: Singularity by CasmirRadon

Star Trek (2009) - Recut by eldiablosuizo

Star Trek (2009): Gem Edition by geminigod

Star Trek (2009) Extended Edition by stomachworm

However, I've had a very quick look at some of their ideas, and there's a couple of things that I may include in my own ideal cut-list.  :)

I was struggling to find the right thing to put under the new title for a while, then I remembered that trusty old "star travel" sequence from 1997's 'Contact'. Now as we see the Enterprise vanish from the Neburu system with just the warp trail remaining, I've motioned tracked the Contact starfield, so the Enterprise trail finishes on our Sun a speck in the distance... which is of course where they are going (and where the next visual cut leads us), neato! :cool: .

Man, Contact and your Star Trek edits. Like peanut butter and chocolate.

Okay here is a first test of the new title sequence...

(Password: fanedit.org)

There are lots of little fixes and general finessing I still want to do but it's shaping up I think.

I like it so far. Could you blur the stars perhaps to pull the viewer through time and space? Almost like a delayed warp jump as if the viewer is in their own space ship entering warp?

TM2YC said:
Okay here is a first test of the new title sequence...

(Password: fanedit.org)

There are lots of little fixes and general finessing I still want to do but it's shaping up I think.

Bravo sir! ;) The "Contact" space footage works incredibly along side JJ's, and I like how the vengeance subtitle has a dirty and broken look about it.

Wow. Looked absolutely seamless to me. Like it was always there. How on EARTH did you pull that off. You're all like "oh, I have limited skills" - and then do THAT! Thumbs up from me. :)

Very nice work there TM2YC, and what a difference compared to your early test clip on the 1st page!

I'm really interested in a lot of the ideas you're doing for this, so I'll stick up the original titles below, as I have a couple of thoughts for you to consider -

1.  The new VENGEANCE re-title fits the movie well, but I think that the size of the word in your clip seems to make the words STAR TREK look a bit small in comparison.  Of course, it may be that you just prefer the VENGEANCE letters to be more front and centre, but if both lines of text were laid out in the exact same 'width' as the original version, then the STAR TREK letters would look a bit more prominent overall.

2.  I've got to be honest, and say that I like the way that the STAR TREK letters appear first in the original version, before we see the text below...and reckon it might be worth trying to have your VENGEANCE letters appear around the point that the STAR TREK letters 'shine' into full view, in a similar way to the timing of the original titles.

3.  Also, I wonder if it would be worth doing the VENGEANCE letters in the exact same surface colouration as your STAR TREK letters (at the point they 'shine' into full prominence), rather than the 'cracked' surface detail...or alternatively, to just have the VENGEANCE letters be totally 'white' instead.

4.  Lastly, it might be worth trying to fade out ALL of the lettering at the exact same time, like the original version too.

I'm liking your 'lens flare' additions in this, by the way, and the 'starfield' works perfectly.

However, if you prefer to get away from the overall look of the original 'Into Darkness' titles, then just disregard these comments. :p

Looks good besides the flares. Their movement's a little jerky and they have a sort of opacity to them that make it obvious they're an effect and not the real deal.

DigModiFicaTion said:
Could you blur the stars perhaps to pull the viewer through time and space? Almost like a delayed warp jump

There might be some way but I think I prefer it semi-static.

ironman23 said:
I like how the vengeance subtitle has a dirty and broken look about it.

It's a cracked and broken rock texture I found.

dangermouse said:
You're all like "oh, I have limited skills" - and then do THAT! Thumbs up from me. :)

My FX skills are indeed very "Limited" but I've learned if I know exactly where those limits are, I can plan something that's achievable within those limits.

ImperialFighter said:
if both lines of text were laid out in the exact same 'width' as the original version, then the STAR TREK letters would look a bit more prominent overall.

I'll think about it.

ImperialFighter said:
it might be worth trying to have your VENGEANCE letters appear around the point that the STAR TREK letters 'shine' into full view, in a similar way to the timing of the original titles.

Good advice. The overall timing is something I plan to work on.

ImperialFighter said:
I wonder if it would be worth doing the VENGEANCE letters in the exact same surface colouration as your STAR TREK letters (at the point they 'shine' into full prominence), rather than the 'cracked' surface detail...or alternatively, to just have the VENGEANCE letters be totally 'white' instead.

No, I like the difference. It adds a bit of visual interest to have them distinct.

DominicCobb said:
Looks good besides the flares. Their movement's a little jerky and they have a sort of opacity to them that make it obvious they're an effect and not the real deal.

Yeah I just threw them on there as a temp measure. I'll need to work on something better.

I like the broken rock texture, but the movement makes it feel like a layered effect. I wonder if making the image move with the text might make the layered look disappear?

When it came to the original 'lens flares' and whatnot for the credits, I found this an interesting watch -

TM2YC said:
My FX skills are indeed very "Limited" but I've learned if I know exactly where those limits are, I can plan something that's achievable within those limits.
Too true. Knowing your limitations is just as important as challenging them - perhaps more so. It forces creativity as well becuase if you know you can't do x you've got to think of another way to solve the problem.
Your FX limits are way, way beyond mine. So I'm happy to soon be the recipient of your limited skill set. :)

I like thus far, too TM.  I think the texture to the "Vengeance" is a bit off and a more of the punch the upper text has would be needed, while the upper title should be bigger, for the rest... well done!

Canon Editor said:
the upper title should be bigger

I'm quite happy with the relative sizes. The proportions of the two parts are much closer than they are in the titles for STB for example...

beyond-sqare-poster.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

startrekbeyondposter.jpg

...and the design for that looks spot-on to my eye.

Back
Top Bottom